20240408_190857.jpg
20240408_190920.jpg
20240408_190853.jpg
IMG_2447 (resized).png
IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

The latest line-up with a few system 7s thrown in....

I hate to be such a fanboy, but omg, they are stunning. That's amazing.

#890 6 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

The latest line-up with a few system 7s thrown in....

I have to ask... Did you restore these games? What's the story with that Voltan, the cabinet isn't even faded?!? How does that happen?

3 months later
#1089 5 years ago

Hey folks. I'm restoring a Future Spa, and as I'm cleaning up and replacing connectors, I noticed some weirdness I'd love opinions on.

First, note the 20-pin connector that plugs into the rectifier board. You can see three burnt pins, and wires have been clipped:

IMG_1812.JPGIMG_1812.JPG

Also note two wires clipped from the 9-pin connector:

IMG_1813.JPGIMG_1813.JPG

Here's what they looked like in-situ in the game:

IMG_0173.JPGIMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0159.JPGIMG_0159.JPG

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? I've got new connectors going in and a new rectifier board from barakandl going in place of the original, I just don't want to blow anything if some previous owner has been moving things around!

#1091 5 years ago

On the 20 pin, pin 8, the 12v DC (orange), pin 10, 7v AC (orange), and pin 11, 7v AC (orange). They seem to have been wired permanently into another connector (the 9 pin) and then from there soldered directly to the test pins. Sigh.

#1094 5 years ago

Two of the wires involved are orange. One is 12v DC and one is 7v AC. Sorry if this is obvious, but any clue to which one is which? If I had to guess I'd say the thick orange, like the thick red, is AC, but I might as well ask.

1 month later
#1132 5 years ago

While that's possible, I've seen paint peel like that, and I've also seen vinyl coverings peel off like that (like decals or on rails).

2 weeks later
#1173 5 years ago

On our Future Spa, the playfield harness has been completely refitted with new connectors and new lamps/sockets went on the playfield. When testing, some control/insert lamps will not light (or during attract mode).

We're looking for some ideas of what to check next. Here's what we know:

- Continuity tests perfectly from bulb lug to lamp driver pin for lamps that won't light.
- Swapping the lamp driver board with a known working backup produces no change.
- Swapping the MPU board with a known working backup produces no change.
- Connectors have been audited between the lamp driver and MPU, and specific pins on both sets of connectors for both boards, no mis-ordered pins found (yet).
- Bulbs test fine both in and out of the socket with a tester, both polarities.

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious.

Any suggestions?

#1175 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

break in the bus 6vdc wire for feature lamps somewhere on PF? Check for +6vdc at a non working feature lamp.
logic signals to focus on would be lamp address and lamp data. Put the game in lamp test and make sure you see pulsing activity on all eight of those signals on the lamp driver board past the connector (at the 20k resistors is a good spot).

Ok, I went through these tests, and didn't get far. What started moving me in the right direction is that I noticed there was a "stuck switch" test failure for the tilt switch. When I disconnect the cabinet and playfield switch hardnesses from the MPU, *all* the feature lamps/control lamps turn on in lamp test.

Clearly there is something going on with this cabinet harness interfering with this, correct?

#1176 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Ok, I went through these tests, and didn't get far. What started moving me in the right direction is that I noticed there was a "stuck switch" test failure for the tilt switch. When I disconnect the cabinet and playfield switch hardnesses from the MPU, *all* the feature lamps/control lamps turn on in lamp test.
Clearly there is something going on with this cabinet harness interfering with this, correct?

Figured it out. Tilt switch control wire was making contact with ground. Sigh.

#1178 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Always good to isolate things when you can. The same PIA that services lamps also does switches just at different times. If a port is shorted through a switch it can effect the lamp matrix.

This is the sort of isolation thing I knew at an academic level (I'm a network engineer, so I do this sort of troubleshooting this way in the field), but never had to deal with on a repair level quite like this before. I also suck at electric so I tend to glaze over when dealing with some of this stuff.

To figure this out, here is what I knew:

- When the playfield and switch harness connectors were removed from the MPU, all the lamps lit up. At that point, I knew it was switch related.

- When the playfield switches were left connected, but cabinet removed, the lamps would light normally. This meant it was something in the cabinet.

- I remembered that when I did my initial electric test without the playfield harness, a game wouldn't start with the start button. I originally assumed that was due to the lack of playfield harness (no ball found, etc.). However, the more I thought about it, something else might be up.

- Performing the switch test where it reports the lowest number stuck switch, with just the cabinet harness installed, reported the tilt switch.

- I mentioned that in our restoration thread, and radium asked if there was any chance that the tilt switch was somehow connected to ground. I stared at it and thought, "no, no way." I then did a continuity test and, sure enough, it was connected to ground.

- Staring at it for like three minutes before I realized the brand new ground braid (this is a new restoration) went behind the tilt wood panel in the cabinet, and that maybe the mounting screw for the tilt bob penetrated the wood and touched the ground braid...

Anyway, I always love it when people post their thought process here, it sinks in and helps me later with my own troubleshooting.

1 week later
#1208 5 years ago

Hey folks. I've got a weird one for you on my Future Spa. Honestly I don't know if this is normal. The whole game works, all systems check out.

I've got a situation where certain control/insert lamps, with incandescents OR a properly installed Alltek board with LEDs, will flicker when on.

I'd say it was design intention, but for example, in the words FUTURE SPA on the main lower playfield, F flickers, UTU stays solid, and RE SPA, 18k and SPECIAL flicker, 36k stays solid. Why would they be different?

I've checked voltages on the common wire, it's all consistent. Again, this happens with incandescents as well.

I've swapped the lamp board, the MPU board, or both, and get the same result. This is true in attract mode or lamp test.

Here's some more information on some of the lamps involved from the schematics, it's not a complete list but we looked for commonalities:

J1:18, SCR Q14,R14
J1:19, SCR Q12, R12
J1, SCR Q29, R29
J1:9, SCR Q27, R27
J3:26, SCR Q36, R36
J3:25, SCR Q38, R38
J3, SCR Q57, R57
J3:12, SCR Q50, R50

The only thing we found is that they come off address 0 or 1 on the IC chips.

I shot a high-speed video that shows you in slow motion the flickering for some lamps here. Remember, this happens with incandescents or LEDs with resistors:

Anyone have any thoughts on where to chase this ghost, or am I just oversensitive to something that is part of the game?

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

What are they doing when you go into lamp test ? They should all pulse at the same rate ,
Id look at a short on the lamp sockets or between lamp and switch lines,
I have seen something similar on a Xenon, weird pulsing on some lamps in the head box , Turned out that was solder bridges on the lamp board connectors , But seeing you have tried a new Lamp board , that's out of the question .

These are all brand new sockets and I’ve checked them for shorts, no luck. At least I haven’t been able to find any continuity between them or on other lines or ground.

During lamp tests the same lamps pulse while the rest stay solid.

Here is a high-speed video of the sockets representing the top lamps during lamp test. As you can see, F U T U R are flickering, E is not.

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

These are all brand new sockets and I’ve checked them for shorts, no luck. At least I haven’t been able to find any continuity between them or on other lines or ground.
During lamp tests the same lamps pulse while the rest stay solid.
Here is a high-speed video of the sockets representing the top lamps during lamp test. As you can see, F U T U R are flickering, E is not.

I'll add that I've swapped the MPU with a brand new Alltek and get the same results. Also, all connectors were re-done with brand new crimps. Lamp driver connectors are TE/Amps with proper trifercons. I'm not sure what to test next.

#1214 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I don't know if it will help, but here is a copy of the Tech Chart I recently made.[quoted image]

This is a fantastic chart. Super helpful, thank you so much.

Quoted from barakandl:

Check out the LDB schematic and you start to see a pattern. Your problem lamps are at decoder positions 0 and 1 on all four decoder chips. What chip is at Alltek MPU U12 (u14 designation on originals) IE CD4049UBE. Reason I ask is because buffered versions of the 4049 chip has been known to cause the 0 position of decoder chips to flicker.
If you have a 4049UB part used then I would check MPU J1 and LDB J4 plugs, specifically the LAMP ADDRESS pins (AD0 to AD3).

Here is the chip. Can you identify what version it is?

alltek_u12.jpgalltek_u12.jpg

It says "CD4049UBE," but how can I tell if it's a buffered version or not? It also says 71AQX1M on it.

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I would check MPU J1 and LDB J4 plugs, specifically the LAMP ADDRESS pins (AD0 to AD3).

I checked those four wires/connectors/crimps. While one was a little loose (AD3) and I tightened it up with a new trifurcon, I then plugged the connectors in and pulled them out just slightly to test continuity pin to pin. It all tests good.

Unfortunately, the symptom is the same. It's still very likely it's my wiring (this flicker didn't exist before this restoration). I just can't find it.

Would any other wires between MPU J1 and LDB J4 possibly cause this flicker?

#1217 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That is the correct chip so its not that. CD prefix means Texas Instruments. 4049 is the chip type. UB suffix = UnBuffered. E suffix = through hole chip.
Lamp address and lamp strobe is the connectors to focus on. MPU j1 to ldb j4. AD0 to AD1 is lamp address labeling and LAMP STROBE is labeled as such.

There is only one LAMP STROBE listed on the LDB, and it's pin 13 which goes to pin 11 on MPU J1. I will check that out now.

#1218 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

There is only one LAMP STROBE listed on the LDB, and it's pin 13 which goes to pin 11 on MPU J1. I will check that out now.

Lamp strobe wire is fine, in the right place and tests perfectly. This is driving me bananas.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That is the correct chip so its not that. CD prefix means Texas Instruments. 4049 is the chip type. UB suffix = UnBuffered. E suffix = through hole chip.
Lamp address and lamp strobe is the connectors to focus on. MPU j1 to ldb j4. AD0 to AD1 is lamp address labeling and LAMP STROBE is labeled as such.

Ok, here's another clue for the mystery. I had the game on for about 20 minutes as I was troubleshooting. Towards the end of the 20 minutes, a few lamps came back on to no flicker. Something is heating up and working better. Does this shed any light?

I'm going to re-terminate all the address and strobe lines now.

#1220 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm going to re-terminate all the address and strobe lines now.

Made no difference. What would heat up and improve? We know it’s not the MPU, or the LDB, as both have been swapped without change. Ground noise? But then why only some lamps?

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Does the same thing happen during gameplay? I'm assuming the video was taken during attract mode.

Yes, the same thing happens during gameplay and also during lamp test mode.

Quoted from srcdube:

To debug temperature sensitive circuit boards we used to use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to localize the heat, and/or a spray can of cooling liquid. Start with a cool board and then blow heat on a chip to see if you can accelerate the "improve" time... or wait til it's working in its good state and use a cooling spray to bring down the temp of one part at a time until it goes bad again.

I would do this but I already tried swapping both the lamp driver board and mpu board with no change, so it can't be something specific to the board itself.

Quoted from barakandl:

Since some of the same PIA ports service switches, unplug the switch connectors to help isolate. If the problem goes away when switch connectors off the MPU (two on right side) a switch is probably shorted to something.

When the switches are disconnected from the MPU I get the same results.

This is really a wacky mystery. Anyone have any other suggestions? Since it seems to effect some lamps but not others on the same common wire, I feel like it's got to be something adding noise/etc. to just the lower addresses (AD0 and AD1). Could grounding somehow have something to do with this?

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The computer triggers the interrupt routine to update the switches based off of the zero crossing detector. Do you have around 21v at the TP3 test point. Stable 120hz should come out of this circuit.

As you can see here, the Alltek MPU board has some different test points:

IMG_3098 (resized).JPGIMG_3098 (resized).JPG

The "zero crossing" test point on the MPU registers 22.5VDC. Is that what you mean? The LDB has only three test points. TP1 registers 5VDC, TP2 is GND, and TP3 registers 5VDC.

Can you explain how to use a multimeter to test for a stable 120hz, or is that something I need to use an o-scope for?

Quoted from barakandl:

O-scope to look at that PIA port and ad0 at the LDB and compare to working game would be handy. Can take some clues from a logic probe is ad0 sounds different than the ad1-ad3.

I have a scope designed to work with my computer. It's not the best, but I've used it in a pinch. That being said, I have little to no understanding on how to use it. So two things: Any tips on how to set the o-scope for what we need here, and what I'm looking for? Also, how to I "look at the PIA port and ad0 at the LDB?" Is that a trace someplace (or a pin on a chip) that I need to touch with my scope/logic analyzer?

#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I have a scope designed to work with my computer. It's not the best, but I've used it in a pinch. That being said, I have little to no understanding on how to use it. So two things: Any tips on how to set the o-scope for what we need here, and what I'm looking for? Also, how to I "look at the PIA port and ad0 at the LDB?" Is that a trace someplace (or a pin on a chip) that I need to touch with my scope/logic analyzer?

Also...Since I have swapped out the MPU board *and* the LDB board with new boards and got the same result... to quote you from your own thread four years ago: "Man made issues on U14 caused the flickering lamps. Soldering problems caused resistance on the U14 VCC connection. The output was still pulsing 120 times a second, but the VCC resistance effected the strength of the zero crossing pulsing going to the PIA. Lamp, switch, and solenoid all use zero crossing to time the interrupts but the issue only manifested in the lamp updating."

I'm guessing it's not something on the board since the swap didn't change anything, but could something off the board cause VCC resistance and impact the strength of the zero crossing going through the PIA?

Is there any way to TEST the integrity of the address and strobe wires between the boards? Would there be any benefit of replacing the harness wiring for the address and strobe lines with twisted pair? I can't be 100% sure my new crimps are perfect, but since I reterminated all of them and got the exact same problem, it led me to the conclusion that the wiring was crimped properly. One little nick or over-tightened cable tie on the AD0 line might increase attenuation or something, right?

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Are you using LEDs?

Just to be clear, I am not using LEDs.

#1232 5 years ago

I’ve now tried enhancing AD0 and AD1 with dedicated wiring and it had no change. This is really frustrating. Any ideas anyone? Not the MPU, not the LDB, not the address wiring, what’s left?

#1233 5 years ago

I've mapped out the lamps according to their corresponding addresses. The ones that clear up are spread across AD0 and AD1, and also spread across U1, U2, U3 and U4. The ones that continue to flicker across the game share address info with the ones that don't.

If it's an address wiring issue, I think we'd see some correlation there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.57.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.57.56 PM (resized).png

#1234 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I think Alltek is using 1K resistor across each lamp at the PCB. You may need less resistance for more load to get the SCRs to latch. Can try adding another 470R to 1000R resistor across the lamp socket that acts up and see if the LED now behaves.

Alltek uses 470ohm resistors. Regardless, this is happening with incandescents.

Let me ask this question: If I have a series of lamps and only replace SOME of them with incandescents, and some were left with LEDs, could that impact the latching of the lamp with the incandescent?

#1236 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

no, but you need the 6.3vdc feature lamp bus going to the alltek lamp driver for any LEDs. Without that connection off that power rail is high impedance on the lamp board and you get leaking paths to ground through two resistors. The leak to ground path through two loading resistors should not light up an incandescent, but a LED would glow depending on how many lamps are on/off at once.

When I have the Alltek board installed, I have the 6.3vdc (actually, 7vdc) feature lamp bus connected to the Alltek. When I have the original board installed, I've got Siegecraft and those are connected to the same bus.

This prevents LEDs from flickering.

However, those specific lamps I mention above, they will pulse with either LEDs or incandescents. I've tried adding a 1k resistor to individual sockets and that made no difference (incandescent or LED). However, when I've done this experiment, everything had LEDs, and I'd swap a single bulb out with an incandescent to test it to see if it was still pulsing (and it was).

So a pulsing incandescent shouldn't happen, if I read you right. This is so odd. My original goal here was to have all LEDs. I'm now worried that the lack of load from all these LEDs is creating some wonky effect, even with the 6.3vdc properly connected.

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Did you check your Zero Crossing?
Since you ruled out the MPU and LDB, the zero crossing is coming from the transformer and line input. If your line input is wonky (UPS? Conditioner? Lightning Arrestor?) and not giving a good sine wave at 60Hz, or some bad, leaking diodes on the transformer board, that can cause the zero-cross to be wonky - on both MPUs..

I checked the zero crossing test pad on the Alltek, it read 22.5vdc. How exactly do I test the rest? There shouldn’t be anything strange on my power coming from the house (no UPS or arrestor).

#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Since the auxiliary lamp board shares most of the lamp address/data lines with the main lamp board are any of its lamps flickering?

No, none of the aux lamp bulbs (which mainly are the "Future Spa" lights on the backglass) are flickering at all.

Quoted from Quench:

You haven't accidentally crossed the two lamp strobe wires at the MPU board connector or accidentally swapped a lamp address/data wire?

I can confirm that the wires are right going from the MPU to the LDB, I've quadruple checked, and re-terminated them. There is only ONE lamp strobe wire coming from the MPU to the LDB (pin 11 to 13), so I'm not sure what to swap it with.

Quoted from Quench:

If you do swap the two lamp strobes at the MPU board connector do the flickering lamps follow the strobe line or stay with the lamp board?

I'm happy to try that, I guess I need to figure out what is the Aux Lamp Board specific strobe wire, as it's not clear on the schematics.

Quoted from pinfixer:

Have you tried a new rectifier? If one leg of the bridge is not fully working, it could create really unstable interrupted DC (See my previous post on this) causing the Zero Crossing to not be what it actually should be.

I'm actually using a @barakandl new rectifier board. I know the test pads all test perfectly on that board, but that's the limits of my testing.

Quoted from pinfixer:

Andrew can probably chime in quicker than I, but from what I remember those two heat sink TO-3's are a half-wave each. Seems pretty plausible that one of them has gone south. Might want to pull out the schematics and do a ohms check. Don't do a diode check because it will only show the threshold voltage at the PN junction. In this test we're looking for ohms as diodes can become "leaky" after hard use or excessive heat. Compare the two TO-3's in ohms against one another and it should_ indicate a difference if one of the TO-3's is suspect.

Ok... I'll let @barakandl comment on this but is this likely an issue on a brand new rectifier board? I'm going to do an ohms check on the two TO-3s, but can you handhold me a little bit more on doing that? I'm pretty amateur with this multimeter.

Quoted from pinfixer:

If all of your flickering lamps are coming from the aux LDB, might want to swap with one from another game just to be sure.

None of the flickering lamps are on the aux lamp driver board. They are all on the main LDB. FWIW, the Aux Lamp Driver Board is a brand new Alltek. I could try replacing it with the original, but I'm not sure how the aux lamp board would impact the other lamps on the playfield?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1244 5 years ago

Also, just a reminder, after about 10-15 minutes of the game being on, a little more than half of the flickering lamps stop flickering (see table above, they "clear up.")

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Strobe #1 from the MPU board is at J1 pin 11 - goes to the main lamp board
Strobe #2 from the MPU board is at J1 pin 8 - goes to the aux lamp board
You can try swapping those two strobe wires around on that MPU J1 connector and see what happens.

I did this experiment. The results are interesting. When I swap the two strobe lines, during lamp test, the first thing to report is that the control lamps on the backbox panel (the ones that light, not all the control lamps light when I do this swap) do NOT flicker. Here is a high speed video. Remember, all of these lamps currently are LEDs that are properly connected to the 6.3v rail. The flickering you see is due to the high speed video and the light frequency:

On the playfield, the FUTURE on the top of the playfield now flashes with NO pulsing:

On the lower playfield, not all the lamps fire. However, interesting that the target SPA lamps light without pulsing, and everything but the lower F and SPA (of the lamps that light) don't pulse. The lower F and SPA lamps, however...They STAY LIT and pulse when off:

What does this tell us? Well, one thing is for sure, nothing about the wiring on the upper playfield is involved in the pulsing of the upper FUTURE lamps. That's nice to rule that out. However, the behavior of the lower F and SPA lamps, pulsing during the "off" condition, does that tell us anything?

Quoted from pinfixer:

Any chance that the strobe wire plug connector has some oxidation causing weirdness? Could also explain the "warm up" period. This would be pins 8 and 11 of J1 on the MPU. Wouldn't be the pins since you have a new MPU / LDB installed. Could also be J4 plug connector 13 on the LDB. Since the flickering is not associated at all with the Aux, LDB no need to further check anything in that area.

No, I don't think so, since I re-pinned every single wire in this game. If anything, I made a bad crimp on something, but I recently re-stripped and re-pinned every single wire involved with the playfield lamps (specifically 11, and the 4 address wires, on both ends).

Quoted from Quench:

The data lines to the lamp boards also go to all the displays. Have you disconnected all displays to eliminate any effect they might be having on those data lines?

That's an interesting idea! I'll give that a shot and report back.

#1249 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The data lines to the lamp boards also go to all the displays. Have you disconnected all displays to eliminate any effect they might be having on those data lines?

Just tried this idea, no impact unfortunately.

I'm running out of things to test. I know we can find it, I feel like it's going to be something weird.

#1251 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

FTR, this is not how you test the zero crossing. The zero crossing is high/low, pulsing. You would need a multimeter that can report frequency. Better yet, an oscilloscope to see the high/low pattern.
However, since everyone else is sending you off on strobe hunts, I'll be quiet.

Well we're pretty much done with the strobe hunting, although we did see that interesting behavior (the FUTURE letters not pulsing) with the other strobe. Not sure what that means though.

Ok, I have a multimeter and an o-scope (more of a student o-scope on my computer). If someone could tell me what leads go to what for the o-scope, I can take some readings and share them here.

#1252 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Well we're pretty much done with the strobe hunting, although we did see that interesting behavior (the FUTURE letters not pulsing) with the other strobe. Not sure what that means though.

Can anyone explain to me why, when the strobe lines are reversed, lamps would no longer pulse? And why, specifically, three lamps would pulse during their off state?

Also can anyone tell me what I need to connect leads to to properly check the frequency of zero crossing? Thanks!

#1255 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you disconnected the Auxiliary lamp board as a test?

I believe so, early on, and also swapped those boards. I’m going to try it again today though.

@quench if you wanted to see frequency and voltage readings from anything in this chain right now, what would you look for? I’m also going to inspect the zero crossing waveform this afternoon.

Finally, would any measurements taken at the socket help?

#1257 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you post a video showing the whole playfield (both in attract mode and lamp test mode) so we can see all the feature lamps that are flickering.

Absolutely. Context, In this case, I have the Alltek MPU board, an original Bally LDB w/ Siegecraft connectors. I have LEDs again in the sockets and Siegecraft boards with 6.3v rail properly verified and connected. GI fuse is out, displays disconnected from the bus, aux lamp driver board disconnected and backbox lamps disconnected from the LDB.

I can replace all of these with incandescents and re-do videos if you request. To date, to test the incandescent flickering, I've "spot replaced" LEDs with incadescents (or groups of them) so I abandoned that line of troubleshooting but can go back if you think it's a good idea.

I've made regular and high speed videos of both attract and lamp test per your request. I find high-speed is easier for me to see with crystal clarity the solid vs. flickering lamps. Be sure to set your YouTube settings to HQ.

First, attract.

Regular speed:

High speed:

Next, lamp test.

Regular speed:

High speed:

Quoted from Quench:

To confirm, measure TP2 on the Alltek MPU board - it should be around 43VDC. The Alltek MPU board divides the voltage at TP2 in half which is where TP6 is connected.

I measure 45.5VDC.

Quoted from Quench:

If you want to hook up your oscilloscope to visualise it, set the voltage scale on your oscilloscope to something like 10V/division and the time scale to something like 2ms/division. Hook up the black lead to ground and the probe tip to TP2 at the MPU board. Adjust the voltage and time scales until you can see a good overall view of the waveform. Post a picture of it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.08.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.08.53 PM.png

This is what I get with the probe tip on the Zero Crossing test point:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 11.58.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 11.58.29 AM.png

Let me know if you want me to make any adjustments to that o-scope. I can't get to 10V division, must be a limitation on my student scope.

#1259 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Extra capacitance somewhere? What is the value of the capacitor with one leg touching the 21v test point (original MPU would be C1 @ 820pF).

I want to answer your question. Do you mean the 470pF one on this portion of the schematic of the Alltek? TP6 is the "Zero Crossing" (22.5VDC) test point.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 4.11.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 4.11.35 PM.png

Just a reminder, the problem exists with either the Alltek or the original MPU, in precisely the same fashion (and either LDB).

Quoted from barakandl:

Probe digital zero crossing interrupt signal going to the PIA chip. It should sit slow mostly and every 8.3ms will be a small square.

Can you confirm we're talking about the 4049 at U12, and what pin I should be testing?

Quoted from barakandl:

Your video to me looks like the typical SCR not staying latched type problem.

Could LEDs on the same address wire that have non-ghosting circuitry in them somehow interfere with the latching? I have no idea how non-ghosting circuitry works, but those are the bulbs I had so those are in there. Alternatively, could the load reduction on OTHER parts of the same lower addressing cause these lamps not to latch?

#1261 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Probe at U12C P6 in your picture. Should be small squares 8.3ms apart. No random blips and all squares should be the same length.

Does this look right? I think this is what you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.43.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.43.49 PM.png

Quoted from barakandl:

The alltek schem shows 470pF (471 mark) instead of 820pF like original MPU which is probably fine. Just make sure that value is installed into the PCB and not 470nF or something else bigger. Too much capacitance will break the zero cross.

I'm pretty sure that's C78. As far as my failing eyesight can see, it isn't marked with a number:

c78.jpgc78.jpg

However, again, none of this MPU stuff should matter since I've swapped MPUs back and forth with identical results. The problem MUST be in the wiring or connectors, but I haven't figured out how yet.

Quoted from barakandl:

SCR should "latch" and stay on. If they don't latch they turn back off until the CPU refreshes it again and blinks and goes back off. If the pulse is too short or there is not enough load the SCR may not stay on. Also do note that there is some flickering that is unavoidable because the power supply has no capacitor on the feature lamp voltage. It would be 120hz and that is faster than your eye can see... but your super slow mo camera will notice LEDs flickering at the 120hz regardless of a flicker free solution.

Agreed, but I'm talking about visible blinking, not something barely perceptible to the naked eye.

FWIW, I decided to do a little experiment. I replaced with all the FUTURE upper playfield lamps, the FUTURE SPA bottom lamps, and the SPA target lamps with "47" incandescents (basically all the blinking lamps save one). Weird results. The lower playfield FUTURE lamps stopped blinking (greater draw?). The SPA target lamps blinked worse, and very dimly. The upper FUTURE lamps changed...The two Us, R and E were solid, the rest blinking.

I do think this must somehow be SCR related, but w...t...f...

#1263 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Your first picture shows the zero cross pulses 16ms apart like it is missing every other zero cross. The squares are also big. Does your scope have some kind of time multiplier? Otherwise i think that looks wrong.

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing. I’m not sure I understand the U12C nomenclature. I’m probing U12 pin 6?

#1265 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Anyway, as barakandl has mentioned, the zero crossing detector circuit on your Alltek is outputting the wrong frequency (presuming you've probed the correct pin - U12 pin6). It should be the same frequency as TP2 and TP6. The wave shape will look different but the time taken to repeat should be identical.
Have you got a working Bally MPU board you can hookup?

I’ll make sure I’ve set this probe correctly and try again, and also I have a working Bally MPU. I’ve swapped it in before with the same results, but I’ll do it again and probe it as well.

#1267 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Zero Crossing detector circuit output to probe on the Bally MPU board is pin 4 of U14.
BTW, I think you mentioned somewhere that before the game restoration there was no issue with the lamps. Exactly what's changed (hardware wise)?

I've replaced all the sockets. The harness and electronics are the same, except I've re-terminated and re-connectored everything and replaced the rectifier board that was a Frankenstein hack job with a new one from @barakandl.

I keep repeating the U12 pin 6 experiment and keep getting the same result (I feel like I must be measuring the wrong thing). Therefore, I replaced the MPU with the Bally, and measure U14 pin 4. As you can see, here is what we get, 8.3ms:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.29.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.29.44 AM (resized).png

I'd love to say "Eureka," but nothing changes on my lighting issue. This can't be something on the MPU unless both MPUs are broken, in different places, and creating the same problem, which is super unlikely.

It's got to be something related to the rectifier, backbox wiring/connectors, or the playfield.

When I swapped the strobe wires, the upper playfield "FUTURE" lamps all were lit solid. That told me it's not the playfield, so let's rule that out, which leaves us with backbox wiring, connectors, rectifier. Am I missing any other possibilities?

#1268 5 years ago

One other thing: When all these blinking lamps are replaced with 47s, only the SPA target and upper F T, 2nd U and R blink. Also, the upper U and R seem to stop blinking after about five minutes of operation. That also points to some kind of heat -> latching issue, but I can't find anything in common with those lamps! They are all on AD0, but so are other lamps that aren't blinking (also with incandescents).

#1270 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you build the rectifier board or was it one barakandl pre-built?

Pre-built, but as you know, the soldering job of the transformer to the rectifier is all me.

Quoted from Quench:

Measure the voltage on TP1 of the rectifier board and if it's around the 6.5VDC range, grab a spare lamp socket and connect the base to that TP1.

Wait, I'm getting 8.22vdc. Should I continue this experiment?

#1272 5 years ago

First, the waveform you requested:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.06.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.06.26 AM.png

Is that what you wanted? Next, I performed the exact experiment you asked for. Note that this is with an incandescent light since I pulled off the Siegecraft adapter as well. The light blinks exactly the same way:

#1274 5 years ago

Wait! I was measuring the waveform wrong, my ground wasn't connected. Here is the proper waveform:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.27.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.27.24 AM.png

...and one that fits:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.28.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.28.41 AM.png

Quoted from desertT1:

I have to say that as frustrating as this whole thing probably is for jsa, I am very fascinated by the methods taking place. Also big kudos to those knowledgeable enough to help troubleshoot this issue. Hopefully the issue is resolved soon enough.

These guys are amazing. I feel awful dominating the topic like this but hopefully this is helpful to others.

#1276 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you confirm the 27 ohm ceramic resistor on the rectifier board is getting warm?

Getting warm is an understatement, it just burnt my finger.

Quoted from Quench:

I know you've triple checked your connectors but can you post clear pictures of them at the following so we can see wire colors:
LDB J4
MPU J1
Aux lamp board connector J1

LDB J4:

IMG_3174.JPGIMG_3174.JPG

MPU J1:

IMG_3175.JPGIMG_3175.JPG

AUX J1:

IMG_3177.JPGIMG_3177.JPG

#1278 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Lets manually activate the SCR driving that temporary lamp you've connected to the target "S" lamp connection.

@barakandl's rectifier has test pads. Any tips on connecting the TP1 connection without holding it there so I can perform the SCR test?

#1279 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

barakandl's rectifier has test pads. Any tips on connecting the TP1 connection without holding it there so I can perform the SCR test?

Nevermind I was able to attach the jumper wire without holding it.

The light stays on SOLID.

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Good. We can put to bed any issues with power and rectifier board.
Wire colors at the connectors look right which I'm sure doesn't surprise you.
At this point we have to check continuity from the MPU board to the lamp driver board *after* the connectors.
With the machine OFF, grab your multimeter and set it to resistance mode. If your meter is a cheap non auto-ranging unit, set it to 200 ohms range.
Check for zero ohms resistance between the following:
MPU left leg of R55 (next to J1 pin 15) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R76
MPU left leg of R53 (next to J1 pin 14) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R77
MPU left leg of R51 (next to J1 pin 13) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R78
MPU left leg of R49 (next to J1 pin 12) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R79
MPU left leg of R57 (next to J1 pin 16) <---> LDB bottom leg of resistor R74
MPU left leg of R60 (next to J1 pin 17) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R73
MPU left leg of R62 (next to J1 pin 18) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R72
MPU left leg of R65 (next to J1 pin 19) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R71
MPU left leg of R47 (next to J1 pin 11) <---> LDB top leg of resistor R75

Everything reads 0.00. I'm hoping I'm using the right setting, we're talking the ohms (omega) setting, correct? It goes from "searching" to 0.00 when I make each connection.

#1283 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yep, ohms uses the omega symbol.
You also have zero ohms between the bottom left leg of SCR Q14 on the LDB and the rectifier board under the big ceramic resistor at the solder tab marked "E8"? This is checking that the lamp driver board has good ground.

Yes, zero ohms.

#1284 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yep, ohms uses the omega symbol.
You also have zero ohms between the bottom left leg of SCR Q14 on the LDB and the rectifier board under the big ceramic resistor at the solder tab marked "E8"? This is checking that the lamp driver board has good ground.

I’m just playing around, but also there is 2kohm resistance between E8 and the TP6 on the MPU, though I assume that’s expected.

#1285 5 years ago

Just for giggles, swapped to the Alltek LDB again to see if it made any difference (and it did not). 6.3vdc rail connected, etc. everything disconnected, same test to the rectifier board, same blinking.

It's like the game code is doing this intentionally just to piss me off.

#1286 5 years ago

Tried more things. Replaced AD0 line with dedicated, lower gauge wire between MPU and LDB. No impact. Swapped MPUs with same. No impact. Ran power cable to different house circuit I know is clean from RF. No impact. Put on aluminum foil hat. No impact.

#1288 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But were you extending out your left hand to the sky while your right eye was closed and your right big toe crossed...
I keep expecting you to find the gremlin! I'm watching with much anticipation wishing I had input that would help.

I mean, let's look at what's not an exact science: My memory, and foolishness.

My memory: I'm claiming Future Spa didn't flash these lamps before the restoration. I don't REMEMBER them flashing, but maybe all Future Spa lamps have flashed this way and I didn't notice before? Doubt it.

Foolishness: Sometimes it's the stupidest things. If the lamp strobe or address lines are somehow getting impacted by noise, or the decoders impacted by noise, who knows? Just because the wiring is perfect, it doesn't mean there isn't noise. You know, like coming from the solenoid board (oh, first thing I did was unplug that sound board).

What is an exact science? What we actually know.

- We know that once we changed all the lower FUTURE SPA lamps to incandescents, they stopped blinking, why? Maybe because draw is higher?

- We know that when we swapped strobe lines, lamps that blinked in the past stopped blinking. One strobe holds them steady, the other...

- We know with the draw of only ONE SINGLE LAMP on the whole thing, we get blinking. This and the power draw idea are compatible. If there is some threshold related to power draw, people owning Future Spa would only notice it if they went full LEDs and had no older, nasty, power sucking sockets. [Edit: I don't think there are many examples of high end restorations like this of Future Spa.]

- We know the LDB SCR isn't the issue. If it's told to hold, it holds.

- We know the MPU isn't broken.

Things I haven't tried:

- Making a new, dedicated harness just for all the address and strobe lines, and any other necessary J1 pins to light it up. I doubt this makes any difference so I'm hesitating to bother.

- Taking all LEDs of any kind out of this game, putting all 44's, and seeing what happens, until the rectifier board (designed only for 10amps) melts or explodes.

- Building a faraday cage around the MPU and LDB boards.

#1290 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Is the zero cross output at U12C still 16ms apart after you got the o-scope going? If so that is the issue.

When I swapped with the Bally MPU and did an o-scope reading on U14 pin 4 and got your results. Lamps still blink. I’m not sure why measuring on the brand new Alltek gives me those readings but the MPU swap pretty much confirms it’s not that, correct?

#1292 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If the CPU zero cross is interrupting at 16ms then there is twice as much time between when the CPU updates the lamp picture which seems like would be a problem. Since your 21v wave picture showed a period of time where the wave flat lines all the way at the top does not match what i see on normal boards and a different replacement MPU. I think that means the cap (too much) bigger? Ultimately the interrupts at 16ms vs 8ms might not matter to the blinky lamps but it doesnt seem right to me.
Check out the theory of operation around page 7 where it talks about interrupts.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Bally%20Theory%20of%20Operation.pdf

It's because I was measuring the wrong thing. I swapped back to the Alltek, measure the correct pin, and get this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.22.46 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.22.46 PM (resized).png

Here's another view:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.23.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.23.59 PM (resized).png

#1293 5 years ago

One more:

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.26.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.26.28 PM (resized).png

#1296 5 years ago

Ok, @quench forgive I'm I'm new to using this thing.

Here is the first waveform, middle leg. I get very different visuals depending on settings, but I think this is closest to what you're looking for:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.31.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.31.13 AM.png

Next there is the lower right leg when on or off. Let's start with a view of all of it (on and off, recorded):

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.35.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.35.13 AM.png

Now let's zoom into when it's on. Here's an "on" spike:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.39.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.39.39 AM.png

Here's it up closer:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.40.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.40.05 AM.png

Getting much closer doesn't really reveal much, maybe it's my settings:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.38.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.38.38 AM.png

Now let's look at off mode:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.36.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.36.23 AM.png

Just for comparison, here is Q4 bottom right leg, zoomed out:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.45.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.45.09 AM.png

Here is the on condition zoomed in:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.47.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.47.28 AM.png

Here is the off condition zoomed in:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.48.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.48.32 AM.png

Let me know if these are useful.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1299 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hi, sorry I should have mentioned all three snapshots I took were with 2ms/division time base.
You're getting negative voltages and lots of noise which suggests the earth lead on your oscilloscope probe isn't connected to ground on the machine.
BTW, set your voltage offset to "0V". I've positioned my waveforms so zero volts is at the bottom of the screen. Lets just leave yours with zero volts along the centre of your graph.

Ok, I'm playing with this, I think I've got it right. Maybe we're on to something.

I want to duplicate yours, but I can't seem to pull that off. I can't fit 2ms/division time base on a single screen. Are your playfield lamps connected to the LDB when you do the recording? My noise gets lower when I do. Here is middle leg, 5ms/div time base, offset 0v, and .5v/div:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.38.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.38.01 AM.png

Here is the lower right leg, first at 20ms/division so you can see the on and off pattern:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.42.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.42.38 AM.png

Now, here's the same zoomed in to the on, 2ms/div:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.44.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.44.37 AM.png

You can see the off sometimes has two, sometimes one bump. Here's a zoom in of a two:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.45.20 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.45.20 AM.png

Here is a zoom in of a one:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.45.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.45.51 AM.png

Any better?

#1300 5 years ago

The strobe line is responsible for sending the high and low to Q14, right?

I haven't tried a clean strobe line yet. I reterminated it once, at least, but maybe noise is somehow getting into that strobe (though I don't know why it would effect some and not others).

#1302 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Any chance you can do the Q14 gate leg with the same time base you used in the second image in post #1299 so we can see more repetitions?
That second image looks like the lamp is only being switched on once every three or so Zero Crossings. It should pretty much be once *every* Zero Crossing.

This is the gate leg of Q14 during lamp test:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.31.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.31.20 PM.png

I'm pretty sure that's just "on" state. Here's expanded to 50ms/div to give you the off state:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.39.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.39.13 PM.png

Quoted from Quench:

Can you do the same on Q11 which is a working lamp so we can compare?

This is the gate leg of Q11 during lamp test, on state:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.33.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.33.44 PM.png

Here's expanded to 50ms/div so you can see the off state:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.35.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.35.04 PM.png

BUT WAIT! EUREKA!!! After I did that Q11 measurement, Q14 stabilized!!! I recorded quickly:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.37.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.37.57 PM.png

Then, while I was looking at it, it fell back!

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.38.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.38.37 PM.png

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Me monkeying with gate legs fixed it for a few seconds!?!?!?

#1303 5 years ago

Oh crap, now they are all blinking. What have we done.

#1304 5 years ago

Sure enough. Here's Q11 now during on state:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.45.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-06 at 12.45.33 PM.png

Blast it all...

#1305 5 years ago

Ok switched back to the Alltek (the Bally was "free floating" in my backbox) and we're back to just Q14 doing that. This has got to be cabling/ground.
[Edit: Now it reverted to all blinking again a second time, with the Alltek.]

#1306 5 years ago

So now we're back to Q11 working properly in attract, but in lamp test giving me the same wonky pattern as Q14.

#1307 5 years ago

Tried replacing Strobe 1 with a dedicated wire, re-terminated between the connectors, no change. Put it back.

#1308 5 years ago

New clue: The Alltek board has a test board you can plug into J2 and run some diagnostics.

You set the MPU’s dip switches to accept test mode, then you can move through various tests.

When I did this on lamp diagnostics, I could move through each controlled lamp and light it one by one. Nothing blinked. I could also put it in “SCR” mode and it rolls through each SCR one by one. Nothing blinked. Everything worked properly.

#1310 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What do the plugs look like in the backbox? On some of the Bally games there are some small 12 pin connections that you can disconnect if you take off the back box. Those can be mixed up and in some cases the lights still work but not how you'd expect. Double check the wire color codes on all the loose hanging connections in case a set got mixed up.

I will check them, there are two of these (I believe a 9 and possibly a 14 or 20). I don’t believe the colors/positions are documented anywhere, so my best course is to check that colors continue through the connectors. If anyone can find it documented let me know.

#1314 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW, is it worth taking this discussion back to your restoration thread so things can return to normal here?

To everyone who has been following along, my thanks and also my apologies for hijacking the topic so long.

For those interested in continuing to follow, we will keep hunting in our restoration thread, here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration

I will return here and post the solution once we find it.

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Here is the page from the schematics...
[quoted image]

Thanks! Yes, I’ll be going through mine later, just seemed to miss the plug connectors for some reason.

2 weeks later
#1325 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

To everyone who has been following along, my thanks and also my apologies for hijacking the topic so long.
For those interested in continuing to follow, we will keep hunting in our restoration thread, here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration
I will return here and post the solution once we find it.

Thanks! Yes, I’ll be going through mine later, just seemed to miss the plug connectors for some reason.

For anyone curious about the troubleshooting we were doing to solve my problem, the problem is now solved.

It was my solar panels/inverters on my house. Before the teardown, that system was shutdown for maintenance, and there was no problems with my lamps latching on the lower addresses.

While the game was being restored, the inverter/solar panel set up was repaired and completed, and inverters re-activated.

After the game was restored, my AC power in the house had inverter noise. It turns out that noise was interfering with the zero crossing detector just for the lower addressed lamps.

Turning off the house inverter resulted in the lamps not flickering.

File this one under weird...but thought I should close the loop on this one.

#1331 5 years ago

You can have solar. Some inverters make electrical noise. Mine is unusually bad for nerdy reasons. If you experience some lamps flashing where they shouldn’t, it could be that. You can sometimes fix the inverter setup to make less noise, or, you can filter the noise, or use noise suppressing things at the game like isolating transformers or ferrite chokes.

Also remember this is my -18 board game, and it probably won’t happen on other models or even other games. It’s a very weird and unique situation.

Cross that bridge when you get to it! I have had solar since 2001. I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t.

4 months later
#1502 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The center leg of the SCR goes to the lamp. When the lamp is off you should be measuring about 5.5 to 6 volts there. 3.75V is too low - not likely your issue but I'm curious why it's low. When you get to the game, can you also measure the voltages at the lamp socket on both the braid connected side and on the tip where the lamp wire is attached? Also remeasure the center leg of the Q47 SCR again. Do these voltage measurements with the game in attract mode.

Quench continues to be my hero.

#1506 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Thank you. One more thing that I can't seem to find are the Bally stamped lane guides. Anybody have a source?

I looked forever and couldn’t find them, so I ended up restoring my old ones with retrobright. Beware ebay, I tried one with the title “Bally” and they came with just the lightning bolt.

#1508 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Good tip and thanks. I've looked everywhere I could think and everybody is out seems like there is some real money to be spent on making some more. Seems odd that no one is producing them.

I'm pretty sure Rick/Planetary would have the rights to make them, right? Anyway, they are increasingly rare to see.

1 month later
#1534 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Does anyone know of a decent 4" speaker replacement option?

Over the years, I've purchased a number of 4" Kicker 4 ohm speakers and I've been quite happy with them. They may be a bit overkill for the source but at least I know I'm not making it worse.

#1536 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I know the stock speakers are 8ohm. Would going down to 4 ohms over/underpower the speaker? I'm not super certain on how all that works

You're correct that in most cases, Bally was really cheap and used crappy 8 ohm speakers. However, at least on Future Spa and similar generation, the amps in the sound board were actually specified to work with 4 ohm. I've been running 4 ohm with no problems.

The only 8 ohm 4" speakers you can get are basically designed to beep in a microwave.

[Edit: To answer your question, they do not under or over power your speaker. You do have greater latitude to adjust the pot, as designed, instead of blowing on it and it being too loud or soft.]

1 month later
#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I always take the head bolts out behind the displays, then turn the back box 180 degrees and tie it to the cabinet.
Peter

Just one word of advice here: Keep an eye on your cables. There should be plenty of slack on them as you tip the backbox, but if there isn't for some reason (something is caught), just make sure it's all taken care of so you don't bend any connectors or pins.

4 months later
#1687 4 years ago

I've got a game that has the Alltek lamp driver board and is LEDs. Everything works pretty great. The only complaint my serious player friends have is that when you hit the flippers, the GI will blink.

I understand that the GI is on AC, and you're picking up the voltage drop. This has a new power driver board and solenoid board, I think it's by design.

Can anyone suggest any clever ways to prevent that drop (besides going back to incandescents)?

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I have had Bally's that do that with incandescents also. Don't think it's a led issue.

Perhaps... though I can’t imagine it’s the design intent. I’d love to find a solution. Some way to buffer it somehow.

#1693 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Could it just be poor contact or corrosion on the lamp sockets? There’s lots of YouTube videos about how to fix issues with flakey Bally lamp sockets.

No, it's a recently restored game with brand new lamp sockets. Also, it's the entire GI. I've seen this on other machines with LEDs. I believe folks in this group advised it was just a function of the transformer and the voltage being drawn from the flippers pushes the voltage down just beneath what the LED bulbs are sensitive to... some suggested the only sure-fire way to solve it was converting the GI to DC, but that seems pretty involved.

#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Probably just a poor contact somewhere. Did you try cleaning the GI circuit fuse holder? Has the fuse holder been replaced? The old Bally are notorious for weak connections there.

It’s a new board there as well. I reterminated every connector. I have heard it’s a common characteristic, it’s just being exaggerated by the LEDs.

This question is less of a “it’s broken help fix it” and more of a “how might you try to change it.”

I’ll post a video.

#1700 4 years ago

Here's a video, but as you might expect with trying to capture the LEDs blinking, it doesn't really show up.

Live it is much more pronounced. I personally don't care but I'm just tired of people pointing it out to me so I figured I'd solicit some of this crew's wild and wacky ideas.

#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have an Eight Ball with incandescent GI and I see the same effect. I also have a Future Spa and it behaves pretty similarly with LED GI. LEDs are current driven so they will dim with current changes, but without the same delay as a regular bulb. The GI winding is AC output and not regulated so very brute force design. I am not sure there is much you could do to change it. I also have a Xenon and a Flash Gordon and both have the bigger transformer in the cabinet with the rectifier board next to it. They do this a lot less. I suspect Bally beefed up the 6.3VAC winding on the transformer, maybe the old one was near its saturation point.

Is there no way to use capacitors or some kind of capacitor circuit to solve these kinds of problems?

6 months later
#2108 3 years ago

Hey guys. Here's a question for you.

I'm need to build a test bench. I'd like to be able to swap components out but ultimately drive some 7 segment displays somehow on a backboard.

My thought is, I'd use an Alltek with a test board, some PinScore LED 7-segment displays, power it with a mountable 5V power supply.
The ZC will need a 48V source.

How would you guys recommend I power all this up to fool it into booting?

Thanks!

#2111 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I built a test fixture from bits of a beat to hell silverball mania that got parted out years ago. mounted everything to a board that then mounts to the wall. Used the backbox wiring harness and transformer, pcb mounting brackets, etc. Then all the outputs to leds on protoboard. switch matrix on with little 5mm tactile switches. Then you can game software test mode to check displays, sound, mpus, driver boards, etc in real pinball like situations.

Are you using a Bally transformer? I'm wondering if I could get away with something lower profile given we're only using HV for zero crossing and the rest is all 5V.

#2118 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

This is my test cabinet....

In my case, I only need to be able to test display functionality, but I must say, that is an amazing test system. Wow.

#2119 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Yes I am using a Bally transformer. That and the backbox wiring harness that mates with it saved me from creating a lot of custom wiring. I have an old prototype MPU on the fixture just to keep it running. Waiting on DHL box to build more MPUs.
[quoted image]

Clever use of the wall, although my display test system needs to be portable as possible. I'll need to think through how to pull that off!

2 months later
#2281 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i would be interested in that solution... the Comet 2SMD looks great in GI but the flickering when hitting flipper buttons, while short ticklet my OCD... I have ordered a 5V PSU to try that out but maybe there is something less invasive?

I'd love to hear about your GI after this conversion from AC to DC and how well it works. I feel like it's the only remaining thing that drives me bananas on my Future Spa restore. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration

1 year later
#2839 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Has anyone found a good replacement for the flat head shank nail that goes on the front of the cabinet, that the coin door hits when it’s open?
I think this is the same nail that’s used on the two back metal strips right behind the back of the pf (but on the cabinet).

I'm curious the answer to this one. I ended up tumbling and using the original in a restore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 195.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haverhill, MA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=jsa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.