IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#255 8 years ago

I joined the club recently, Centaur a few months ago and my second, Space Invaders, just yesterday. Shopping/refurbing both right now.

Can someone tell me if the five fuses on the Centaur AS-2518-54 Power Module (the board notes 4a, 20a, 5a, 3/4a, and 20a) should be slow or fast blow?

And on early Bally SS models with the older pop bumper design, is there an easy way to swap in new rod & ring assemblies? It looks to me like the lamp socket has to be removed so that the body can be removed so that the ring can be removed. Poor design on Bally's part, if this is what's necessary.

2 weeks later
#261 8 years ago

Guys, I am ordering a bunch of parts to refresh my Centaur and Space Invaders and one thing I'll be replacing is most of the coil stops. According to the manuals, there are different parts numbers for almost every stop (outhole kicker, slingshot, flippers, single drop target, ball kickers on Centaur), some of which are cross referenced with other part numbers, and they basically all look the same to my eyes. I also see them listed from 3.95 to 7 bucks for the same part. You guys you have been through this before, what's the most common-to-all-assemblies coil stop I can get for 1980+ Ballys at the best price? I'm thinking it's this one - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-613-115

1 year later
#468 7 years ago

Hi guys, Centaur/Fathom & later owners whose games use the AS-2999 pop bumpers - where are you getting your A613-113 core plug assemblies when you have to replace them? I've searched for months and can't find them anywhere, and PBR, the one place I was sure would carry them, ran dry months ago. Or is there a service that will drill out & press in a new coil stop into the bracket when the old one wears down or mushrooms? This should be a pretty common part that's otherwise unobtainium.

2 months later
#579 7 years ago

Are there any owners/users here of the Rottendog BPS054 rectifier board in their 80's Bally game? Any issues with the board, would you highly recommend it?

2 months later
#633 7 years ago

I need to replace the backbox lock on my Centaur but unsure what size to get. Obviously a coindoor lock has too short a barrel, as I've tried to fit it. I see a 1 1/8" lock at Marco, is that correct? What does that measure, the barrel or the length of the entire assembly?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LKA118

2 years later
#1809 4 years ago

My Bally solid states (Centaur, Mata Hari) have had their backbox locks drilled. Can someone point me to a replacement that will fit correctly and hook up to the long bar at the top that holds the backglass in place? Thanks!

1 week later
#1823 4 years ago

This might sound like a dumb question, because I'm sure the answer is no, but it couldn't hurt to ask: are early Bally SS playfield wiring harnesses interchangeable from game to game? Specifically, I have a Mata Hari harness that's been hacked that I'd like to replace with a complete Bobby Orr's Power Play harness. I know it's a no, yet I ask anyway.

2 weeks later
#1850 4 years ago

Did early Bally solid states (Mata Hari & Evel Knievel era) have 5/8" spring washers in their drop target reset solenoids? I just cleaned up and reassembled both drop banks, and both coils have about 1/16" of travel between brackets, even when I've squeezed the brackets as tightly together as possible before screwing them in. I don't see reference to them in the parts books, but then I don't see reference to spring washers for the flipper solenoids either, even though I know they came with them.

#1853 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yes, the D/T assemblies had a spring washer for the reset solenoid....
---- the size was larger than the common flipper coil, sling shot coil, etc,etc,etc.

Anyone have a source for these? I can't even find a part number anywhere. Marco carries the common 1/2" version but not this larger one. I've also checked Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. with no luck. May just wind up using a rubber washer as a replacement.

1 week later
#1875 4 years ago

First time replacing connectors on an early Bally SS, and will be ordering from Great Plains. I have a few questions:

- I've re-crimped .156 contacts before using trifurcons, but I assume trifurcons are not used at the .100 size?

- It looks like the MPU/lamp/solenoid/sound boards all use .100, correct? Are they all the same 22-26AWG size? Do I want 2.4 amp or 4 amp? What is the correct crimp contact to order for these?

- Pretty sure I can just re-use the old reddish-brown connectors if I just pop out the old contacts, correct?

- Rectifier board and displays all use .156 18-24AWG contacts?

EDIT: Looks like there are some .156 connectors used on the solenoid and sound boards too.

#1922 4 years ago

Two quick questions before I order from GPE: Can the original .156" connectors from an early Bally SS be reused with trifurcons, or do I need new ones?

Second, got a new 054 rectifier board in my Centaur. Might as well re-pin the wires with new contacts, are those contacts & connectors for it (just like the ones in pacman11's photo above) .062", .093", or .084"?

#1924 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The power supply connectors that Bally used are by AMP.

So that would be these then?
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=2

1 year later
#2775 2 years ago

Power Module -54 fuse F2, the 3/4 amp one -- should this be slow blow or fast blow? I see references to both. This will be for both a Xenon and a Centaur.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

F2 should be a "fast blow" 3/4 Amp fuse.
The slow blows used is probably part of the reason so many high voltage circuits blow out on the solenoid driver board while that fuse remains intact.
The F2 change to fast blow was first documented from Dolly Parton onwards and should be used on all early Bally/Sterns for good measure.

Thanks Quench. I got a brand new -54 board recently that came with new fuses installed, and the 3/4 was a slo-blo. I see a lot of Bally fuse kits for sale with the 3/4 as a slo-blo too. Even some tech/repair sites call for slo-blo. Very confusing. Was this change documented in Bally literature?

6 months later
#3103 1 year ago

I have a Xenon that, when I turn it on and the MPU is booting, I get a very slight and momentary energizing of the rear kickout hole solenoid. It's so slight that the kicker arm barely moves, but I can see it and hear it. It's not the full kick that's usual when the game is resetting upon boot-up and it kicks both holes to clear any balls that may have been left there, that happens a few seconds after. I replaced the diode on the coil but that did nothing. I also checked all the SDB transistors when troubleshooting an unrelated problem and they were all fine. Any idea what might be causing this? This isn't normal Bally behavior, is it?

#3106 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What kind of MPU do you have? If it has a reset button, hold the reset button down. Does that coil lock on? As long as the coil does not lock on when you hold the MPU reset button down, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's the game's original -35 board. I only see the red push button switch in the upper right corner, which honestly I've never pressed on any Bally game, is that what it's for?

Didn't think it worth mentioning, but the insert lamps all flash on for a split second too, right before that solenoid energizes for a split second, at boot up. I always thought that was just normal, is it a similar occurance?

#3111 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Oh I may have mis understood.. is this happening during the power on self test flashing (test four and five) or right at the moment you flip the power switch and before flash one?
If it happens at flash four or flash five you can ignore it. The MPU checks the PIAs at test four and five which may make the sound board chirp, solenoid twitch, lamp flash.

Yes, just checked and that's exactly when it's occurring. Was worried that a transistor or something might be on its way out, glad it's nothing. Thanks!

#3113 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Finally able to join this club with a HG.
Got a CPR PF on the way and am about to order plastics, spinner decals, and a whole hell of a lot more!
Also, if I want to use LEDs for the PF inserts to minimize the strain on a 43 year old wiring harness, do you have to use "no ghostings" LEDs? I put traditional single frosted LED bulbs, and due to the relaatively low current draw, the LEDs stay on, even when they are not supposed to.
Thoughts? I'm new to these older games, so please, be gentle as I learn : ).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Or this one -
https://nvram.weebly.com/bally-stern-ldb.html

#3118 1 year ago

One of the insert lamps on my Xenon keeps burning out after a day or two of play, I've replaced the same bulb three times in a week. It's in the middle of the playfield and there are other lamps much closer to solenoids, so I don't think vibration is the problem. Bayonet base is brand new. Is there anything on the LDB, a faulty SCR, resistor, diode, or whatever, that could cause this? The bulbs are #47's from Pinball Life, and it could be the bulbs of course, but three in the same spot is more than coincidence.

8 months later
#3487 1 year ago

I have a Space Invaders that is emitting a little hum from the transformer when powered on. It's like a "standard transformer hum" and hardly noticeable with the coindoor closed and playfield down and glass on. When I start a game though, the hum increases in loudness, definitely louder and annoying. And when the game plays any kind of sound effect, the hum disappears (or goes back to the original quiet hum) until the sound effect is done, then it gets loud again. Is this a "recap the sound board" problem or something else entirely? I have not reseated any connectors or played around with anything else as of yet.

#3490 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Are you absolutely sure_ the hum is coming from the transformer, and not the speaker(s)?

Hum is from speaker after all. Had to move out the game so I could open it up, so I wasn't hearing it just thru the coindoor opening. Game is quiet when I power on, then I start up a game and get the hum. I turn the speaker down at the pot and hum is gone. I would guess/hope this is a recap the sound board fix; although I see in another post that this did nothing and it was a ground issue. I unscrewed the board and let it hang free, and the hum was the same when I started a game, so I don't think that's it.

While I'm on the subject, I have a second -51 sound board, also from a Space Invaders. The sound doesn't get above "barely audible", even turned all the way up. The pot works, as when I turn it all the way down, it's silent. Just barely audible when turned up. Any ideas what would be the prob here?

Also on same subject: here's an ebay listing for cap kit for the boards in question. C8 on both above boards is 470uf / 16v and that's also what the manual specifies. This cap kit comes with a 1000uf / 25v for the C8 location. I know the voltage isn't a problem but is the 1000uf going to present a problem? Was this maybe an upgrade from a Bally service bulletin or something? Or just plain wrong?

ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#3499 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, I was just making sure - if the transformer WAS the one actually humming, a cap job on the sound board wouldn't fix it.
Yeah, caps would fix this. Also possible a diode or resistor is out of spec, though it's been a loong time since I've looked at that board, so I couldn't help on which ones.

Just recapped the board and unfortunately that didn't fix it. Still getting the speaker hum, only during a game, and only when no sound effects are being played. Don't know what to try next.

One other thing to note that's unrelated, I'll occasionally get a humming/buzzing sound when one of the flippers is activated. It's not every time, maybe once every 20-40 flips during a game, and it stops when I release the flipper button. It's coming from the flipper coil/solenoid itself, I just raised the playfield and flipped a couple dozen times to make certain. Ideas?

#3501 1 year ago
Quoted from Spunky1562:

Check the coil stop is tight to the coil itself and not loose. May need to loosen screws, push stop toward coil and retighten. I had this happen and that was the fix.

Still tight as it was when I rebuilt it, same as the other three flipper solenoids.

#3502 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Just recapped the board and unfortunately that didn't fix it. Still getting the speaker hum, only during a game, and only when no sound effects are being played. Don't know what to try next.

I just replaced the LM3900 amplifier in the second Space Invaders sound board, and I have volume again, so that fixes that problem. Still getting the same hum as the first board though, so I also recapped the second, and the damn hum is still there. I get the same hum whether the boards are screwed in tight or floating, which I see was a solution for some owners. Not sure what else I could try.

#3504 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you replace the big capacitor on the solenoid/voltage regulator board?
That's where the 12V comes from.
Allthough the C15 on the the sound board should be able to compensate for this.

Yes, C23 was the first cap I replaced on it.

Added 13 months ago:

A new C23 cap DID cut down the noise I was getting from the displays switching between last game / high score, at least.

#3506 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

When you screw down the board there is no connection which can connect to ground.
The board is floating all the time.
You can try to add a ground wire to the minus of C13 and use a eyelet to put under the screw.
[quoted image]

I assume that grounding the - of C13 to the backbox ground braid with an alligator clipped wire that I had handy would do the same thing, so I tried that. Not only didn't it lower or eliminate the hum during a game, but it introduced a new hum, fairly low but still there, during attract mode.

#3508 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Huh.
Is your game's plug properly grounded? If the outlet grounded? Sounds like the whole game may be floating. :/

It's a (replacement) three-prong plug. No idea if the outlet is properly grounded, and I would have no idea how to check that, even if I had the proper tools (ie, anything beyond a dmm).

FWIW, I moved the plug to another outlet further down the same wall, and plugged it into the same socket where I had my completely hum-free Xenon. Still get the hum.

If SI wasn't properly grounded, and as a test, I connected the ground braid on SI to the ground braid on another game with alligator clips, would that technically ground both games, or is it just a disaster in the making?

#3511 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Maybe a bad line filter in the cabinet?

Wouldn't I get a hum as soon as the game is switched on then? Hum only begins when I start a game. You can hear it over the "dum-dum-dum-dum" background noise, but when a sound effect plays it momentarily stops, then begins again right after the sound effect stops.

#3516 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you move any of the chips from one board to the other when testing?
Sometimes the AY-3-8910 goes bad, but still creates (wroung) sounds.
The eprom can also be bad or missing some bits, but then the board wouldn't start.

Nope, just new caps on both, and new LM3900 amp on one. Both sound boards should be exactly the same now, so I'm guessing the problem has nothing to do with either.

2 weeks later
#3568 1 year ago

Do you guys replace the flipper button capacitors when restoring/refreshing your machines? What caps do you use?

#3570 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

They didn't have factory fitted capacitors on the flipper button switches.
Can't remember off the top of my head which value but some people retrofit either 0.1uF or 0.01uF capacitors. Someone else might chime in.

0.1uf/500v is what I just saw in other threads. Getting sparking on my Space Invaders, maybe adding them can cut that down a bit.

3 months later
#3662 8 months ago

Once every eight months or so, I'll power on my Xenon and just the GI will turn on. It's always a blown F3 4A fuse on the power module / rectifier board, and replacing it gets it up and running again for another eight months. I've been using fast-blow fuses, is it possible that F3 requires a slow-blow and that's why I'm having this occasional problem? Everything else on the game is just fine.

#3666 8 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

Fuse F3 is required to be fast-blow. Slow-blow fuses are usually only used where there are inductive loads like coils and transformers.
Is the big C23 capacitor on the solenoid driver board still original?

No, I have replaced that.

#3668 8 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

How about the electrolytic capacitors filtering the 12V supply rail on the Sounds Plus board and also the Vocalizer board?

Just the C23 on the solenoid board. Everything else is working fine so I figured why mess with it.

#3675 8 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

I'd first suspect a failing capacitor on the 12V rail causing an excessive inrush current to be blowing the fuse here. I have had on two occasions the high voltage capacitor on Bally solenoid driver boards blow the F2 fuse on the rectifier board every power up. Replacing the capacitors fixed the problem.
Bad/arcing connections on the 12V line could also blow the fuse but I'd expect to see other symptoms first (resets and intermittent failures to startup).

Never resets, never fails on startup (except for the blown fuse, last week and last November). Runs like a top, really. I would gladly replace the offending part if I could identify it. Meanwhile I'll just pick up some more 4A's on my next Marco order.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 169.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 169.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=jibmums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.