IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hhaase.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1631 4 years ago

I used them for some proto Gottlieb 5v supplies, and they don't get warm at all.

However, I'd be interested to see what you see for voltage output on them. Every meter I put on mine showed low voltage, but everything also seems to run fine. So I dunno if I was checking wrong via the ground or something.

-Hans

#1638 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I tested the board last night in-game. Initial no-load power up reading was 4.37 volts. I tweaked the adjustment pot up to 5.01 volts and connected the MPU. It booted, but the voltage dropped to 4.5 volts. When I connected the other boards it dropped to 4.18 volts and would not boot. The highest it would go was 4.48 volts under full load and still wouldn't boot.
What else are you using for LM323K replacements?

I'm not surprised to hear this, but it's a bit disheartening you're also seeing the same with the PSU7. I have about 5 of them here when I was prototyping a Gottlieb power supply. None of them hit 5 volts for me. And they all dropped off well before the rated 5 amp load, when I was load testing them. I know my tester was a chinese 'no-brand', but I 4 different voltmeters that all agreed with each other. It's why I never released the design, and I don't know if I can use a 3amp regulator instead.

I have used the TO-220 sized regulators from EzSBC in the past, and while I didn't load test them, they did put out the advertised voltage on a quick voltmeter test. Maybe I'll order a few more pieces from them and load-test them as well.

The PSU-5 is a completely different regulator, and non-adjustable. If you're replacing an LM323 it may be worth looking at. The PSU-7 is intended to replace the 78H05 anyway.

Maybe I'll go back and chart this all again and talk to them. Seemed pretty responsive.

-Hans

#1640 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I don't see why the PSU-7 wouldn't work in place of the LM323. However, I have a PSU-5 that I can try and see if I just had a bad part.
You may have worked with an older version of the PSU-5. The regulators are adjustable now.

You're correct that both should work in the application, but for some reason the PSU-7's I had were all under-voltaged. Not too bad at idle, but after about 1.5-2 amps they started to drop in voltage, and were very low voltage by the time I got anywhere near the max rating. You're right though, the PSU-5's do have trimmer capacitors..... I must have been thinking of other stuff.

The reason I suggest the PSU-5 is because it's based on different components I believe, or at least uses a different layout, so whatever design flaw is on the PSU-7 likely won't exist on the PSU-5.

-Hans

1 month later
#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I didn't notice before, but the tilt light comes on after i start a game, and when I perform the self test, the tilt switch (one of three) is shown activated. Visually the switches are all open. I tested the diodes across the switches and they test good. The cap across the plumb bob doesn't appear to be shorted. What am I missing?

Have you checked all the tilts?
There's the plum bob, ball roll, coin door slam, and under-playfield slamp.

-Hans

8 months later
#2270 3 years ago

I tore a big pile of LED's apart a few years back. Most of the anti-flicker ones out there have some kind of rectifier in there, plus a capacitor, to smooth out 60hz flickering and ghosting from poorly timed lamp matrix software.

I know the previous owner of Comet had experimented with an additional load resistor for dealing with the Bally/Stern type issue, which is a completely different situation. I don't think he ever had a design that panned out to his satisfaction. Something about the manufacturers never really grasping the concept I think.

-Hans

9 months later
#2580 2 years ago

Should I start ramping up the replacements I’ve been doing for 3081’s? They aren’t cheap but they work great when I’ve tried them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 12.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
$ 959.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hhaase.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=hhaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.