IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#189 9 years ago

I don't think I've joined this club yet.

I currently have:
Evel Knieval (have CPR playfield and plastics for it)
Mata Hari
Paragon (very nice spare pf, but may get CPR, have CPR plastics signed by Paul)
EBD (have IPB plastics, need playfield!!!)
Centaur (have CPR plastics, decent pf)
Xenon (CPR Gold edition playfield and plastics, Comet LEDs)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-with-comet-leds-and-custom-upgrades

Had:
Vector
Paragon
Xenon
Flash Gordon
Silverball Mania
Spectrum
Star Trek

#199 9 years ago

Classic Sterns I have:

Catacomb
Quicksilver (pf retouched and cleared by Classic_Stern)
Flight 2000
Meteor
Seawitch (soon to have Greatwich pf)
Nine Ball
Freefall
Star Gazer (soon to have Greatwich pf)
Lightning populated pf and bg (need cabinet)

Had:
Trident
Orbitor 1

2 months later
#231 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Plastic question:

What's the best way to protect a plastic that gets a lot of bouncing (maybe it's from the ball getting air with the raised drops?) -- I can see during the game the plastic sometimes bounces up and down, and it then strikes 3 screws and loses paint. This is on the long left plastic on Fathom.

I use washers or plastic protectors on the posts that support the plastic. This will raise it up a bit and give you more clearance for the posts underneath. You could also put a little piece of adhesive backed felt on the heads of the screws to keep them from scratching the plastic.

2 weeks later
#246 8 years ago
Quoted from Khatarlan:

I'm in... with a Bally Viking that I just got to post and go into attract mode for the first time in a decade (at least!).

Another one back from the dead

8 months later
#314 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

I've got a strikes and spares pin with the original boards. Is there a way to put it on free play and just hit the start button to get it going? Thanks for any info!

Three ways to do this:
1. Drill a hole in the cabinet or coin door and mount a switch and wire it to one of the coin switches.
2. Stack a switch on the credit button switch and wire it to a coin switch. Every time you start a game it will add a credit. I prefer this solution.
3. Set a replay score to 10,000. Not exactly free play, but it's the only way without actually modifying your game.

2 months later
#333 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Anyone repairing solenoid driver boards?

barakandl

Just sold one he rebuilt recently.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-bally-driver-board

4 weeks later
#337 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I have old Ballys with LEDs and have not experienced this. My machines either have Alltek lamp driver boards or the Siegecraft LED adapters for original lamp boards. That shouldn't affect the GI though. I'll look @mine the next time I play. Probably tonight........

My Xenon is full LED and I haven't experienced any problems either.

#345 7 years ago

Agreed, battery is not required, but you'll want memory retention for some of the game features. Just choose something other than battery backup, like NVRAM or memory cap.

#351 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

A few pics of my SBM playfield. Can I get rid of that black swirly cloud looking stuff? Not sure whether to try and restore it at all, or just try and stop the wear and tear. Any thoughts?

Magic Eraser and Simple Green does wonders, but as aobrien said, be prepared to protect it with either clear coat or mylar.

IMG_2947_(resized).JPGIMG_2947_(resized).JPG
IMG_0581_(resized).jpgIMG_0581_(resized).jpg
IMG_0584_(resized).jpgIMG_0584_(resized).jpg

#353 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I have a -54 rectifier board that reads 3.8VDC at TP1. It should be ~6.5VDC. But on the other boards, my 5VDC test points seem fine. Should I be concerned?

Yes. Your 5VDC logic is derived from the 12VDC supply (TP3), not the 6VDC which is used only for controlled lamps. Check F1. If it's good you may have a failed BR1 or a short on the playfield somewhere.

1 week later
#359 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

definitely not recommended to have a 6.5 degree pitch for those machines. Perhaps 3.5 degrees.
https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0137.html

3.5 degrees? What the hell are they thinking??? I'd never set my games at 3.5 degrees. If I did and let people play them, they'd never come back to play my games again. Ever.

All of my early SS games are set at 5.5 to 7 degrees. All of them. I may be a little aggressive on a couple of them....Xenon and Meteor come to mind, but these two are normally easy games and now they are very challenging and have that 'one more game' appeal.

3 weeks later
#388 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I have a quick question about Bally stand up targets. I'm fixing up a Centaur and noticed there's no foam cushions (weather stripping) behind any of the targets. I'm used to seeing foam on all my Williams stand up targets. Did Bally just not do that in 1981 or is my foam just missing from all the stand ups?
Thanks.

They didn't use foam.

1 week later
#407 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

The flippers should not move like that. Make sure your EOS switches are engaging properly.

Also, there could be slop due to a worn nylon button on the flipper pawls.

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

How long does a charge last? The only reason I've been staying away is I don't want to lose settings if I'm out of the house for a week or two on vacation and can't turn the games on.

I have one installed in a classic Stern (dual 5101s) that I took to a show and didn't set up for 3 months afterwards. All settings were retained.

2 weeks later
#445 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So those grey tubes are factory?

Yes

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Had an error on Xenon tonight I simply cannot explain at all. Game has Alltek boards in it. Was playing it with my kid, he's player 1, I'm player 2.... it was my turn, I saw that for some stupid reason the 50k light to shoot the tube was lit, I'm like "HELL YEAH, I'M GONNA SQUASH THIS KID!" so I shot for it.. ball goes in the saucer and that's when things got REALLY freaky. My score started increasing exponentially, like it was 200...300....700k and just kept going. It blew past the two replay scores, I heard two knocks, ROLLED OVER and then just kept going. At the same time it rolled over, the player 1 score freaked out and started incrementing. Eventually it did finish whatever it THOUGHT it was doing and kicked the ball back out, but at that point the game was cycling through attract mode, I still had flipper power, but no power to the pops at all, no scoring...nothing else. Just flippers. Turned it off and back on? Perfectly fine. I assume it's NOT the hardware, but seems to be some kind of overflow glitch? Anyone ever heard of this one?

I've been playing Xenon since 1980 and I've NEVER seen or heard of that happening. I was thinking bad ROMs, but since you're running Alltek boards the ONLY thing I can think of is to go into self-test and clear out every audit register manually. Some of these games do strange things when the RAM is corrupted so maybe that has something to do with it.

#451 7 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

Since you have an Alltek MPU, it seems like a temporary power drop to me and the rectifier connectors and board are a very common problem on these machines.

It doesn't sound like a power drop to me as that would cause the MPU to reset. The rectifier connectors and boards used in Xenon and later are not as prone to issues like the earlier models. I'm not saying they don't go bad, but they're typically more robust than the earlier generations.

That said.....and this is a big stretch because I don't know/haven't studied how the Alltek architecture utilizes the ROM.....but the programs for all of the games are stored in one ROM. If a power spike or dropout caused the CPU to jump off track...maybe corrupted the stack pointer or something, AND the other banks of memory were accessible, processing could resume in another game's program. I would assume because of the DIP switches used for selecting the game, that is not possible, but could be investigated.

#456 7 years ago

The game is not detecting a ball in the outhole. There should be one in the outhole and one in the trough. It will let you coin up and start a game, but waits until it sees both balls before continuing and allowing more players.

3 weeks later
#467 7 years ago

You're not missing a connection with the metal bar. It only serves as a spacer/heat sink so the board doesn't flex when screwed to the backing plate. With the rectifiers/heatsinks on the front you don't need the metal bar and don't need to screw it to the plate.

The first thing you need to do is look at the schematics and measure the AC voltages at the connect points on the rectifier. Post pics if you want us to look at it.

#473 7 years ago

If you measure across E8 and E10 you should be reading 173VAC. What do you get?

#475 7 years ago

Yes, one lead on E8 and the other on E10. And you're right, you don't need the HV for LED displays so you could just pull out fuse F2. Out of curiosity, what color wires do you have soldered to E8 and E10?

2 months later
#553 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So my SI is near complete and I have switched to the -35 MPU I scratch built. Got a couple of issues to diagnose and have no idea where to start. Getting it running is one thing. Fixing this? Quite another... Taking all suggestions!
» YouTube video

If it's not cold solder joints on the display board I would replace the chip.

1 week later
#608 7 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Quick question. Which game was the first with computer controlled drop targets?

Trident has them but doesn't store state between balls. Meteor has them and does store state. Both 1979 games.

2 months later
#638 6 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I was gifted a manor project playboy. Was able to make it boot and play and everything seems fine except for the flippers do not work. Tried swapping out solenoid driver boards and the flippers still do not work. Would this be a mpu issue? I thought about just buying a new mpu but i think I'd rather try to fix it first before resorting to that.

As long as the flipper relay clicks it's not the MPU, that's its only involvement. Otherwise, it's the 7 or so connections between the flipper coils and ground.

1 month later
#660 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Im having a problem with Fireball Classic. Switches are firing the wrong coils. The left sling fires the knocker, bottom and middle pop switches fire trough coils. No power to saucer coils but that may be a seperate issue. Changed out the mpu for known good one, same issues present. Pretty decent crud/corrosion visible inside the connector j4 pin 12 nd 13, could this be contributing? Checking diodes under the playfield now. Thanks for any advice fellows.

Pins 12 and 13 are probably not the problem, but J4 is. Repin the connector and J4 on the SDB.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Finally joined the club in a unique way......
I am doing a scratch build doing a custom pinball with a new full set of alltek boards that just arrived and pinscore displays. I have a long way to go and might need a little help along the way. The game will be using most of the features and rule set of Skateball.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin
where can get new leads that go between the boardset and the 5 displays from ?
any help would be much appreciated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1041-third-coast-pinball

I read in one of his posts that his next endeavor is backrack cables, specifically for EBD, but maybe for others too.

1 month later
#705 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I had a quick question: On my Lost World I have a remote battery pack but no batteries installed while im repairing the boards. I loaded some credits into it to play test and when I power cycle the credits remain on the machine. As the game is new to me and the seller knew nothing about it is it normal for the credits to stay in the memory or is there an nvram installed?

Quoted from Coyote:

I don't know of a pinball that DOES NOT save credits when it's turned off.

I cut the battery off my Star Gazer, but didn't install a memory cap or NVRAM. It would hold data for 2 or 3 days -- high score, last game scores, credits! Never investigated why, but thought it was pretty cool!

2 months later
#750 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

I have a strikes and spares with a battery damaged AS2518 17 board.
Can I swap out my working AS 2518 35 board from another pin I have?

Yes, just verify jumpers are correct for the S&S ROMs.

1 month later
#778 6 years ago

My guess is there's a disconnect between the battery holder and the MPU. Maybe one of the wires broke.

I had a similar issue with a Radio Shack battery holder that had an on/off switch on it. The switch failed internally and the circuit was always open.

1 month later
#801 6 years ago

Maybe he could make said piggyback board that would connect to J5 with an extra connector on it so you could still connect Stern sound board cables.

2 months later
#850 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

thanks for the response!
on flippers there is an activation phase and a "keep it energized" phase and they have different voltages and are controlled by switches.
It makes sense that there is something similar on the gate since it stays open or closed, but it seems weird to try and do it without any switches at all. How is the CPU supposed to know how long to energize the solenoid...strange.

It's a high-resistance, low-current solenoid. It can stay energized indefinitely.

1 month later
#882 6 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Hello,
New member here as I have finally picked up the Nitro Ground Shaker I have been wanting for a long time! This is my first machine of this era and I have a couple questions: 1. whats the recommended slope for these games. I cannot get it to 6.5 with the current levelers, wondering if i need longer levelers or do these tables not need that much incline? 2. is there a way to disable the attract sound, I didn't see anything in the manual for that?
Thanks,
Jim

1. Typical slope for this era was 5.5 to 6.0 degrees, but don't take that as gospel. Set it where you like it best. I've used 3" leg levelers and 2x4s to get steeper slope on some of my games.

2. According to the manual, there were two different ROMs for this game. Try turning off dip switch 24 on the MPU to disable background sound. If that doesn't work you'll need to obtain or program the other ROM.

#888 6 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

The latest line-up with a few system 7s thrown in....

How do you decide which one to play? I mean, that's a real problem.

1 month later
#948 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

For your tilt check as far up the wires as you can and see if continuity is there when the tilt Bob touches the ring.

This is a good place to start. I've worked on several machines where there's no continuity between the tilt bob and the ring and I had to clean them to get it to work.

1 month later
#1047 5 years ago

If you don't lock the backglass, you take the chance the glass will rattle and rub against the displays. At least move the displays back safely out of the way if you can't find the top metal piece to lock the glass properly.

#1063 5 years ago

I was thinking of Split Second also, but I think all of the classic Stern "hurry ups" were just timers, not a decreasing point value award.

1 week later
#1068 5 years ago
Quoted from evanc:

Hey guys, helping a friend with a Stern Galaxy that is resetting. The game boots normally every time, plays without issue, but after a game or so will reset and reboot without issue. Trying to search around but can't find anything right off the bat on pinside where someone had the same issue. Any pointers on where to look/what to test? I did put a new nvram rectifier board in it, but the issue was there before so must be somewhere else? Thanks!

Wiggle connector J4 on MPU. If it resets you need to repin the connector and replace the header. If not that you probably need to recap the solenoid driver board.

2 weeks later
#1099 5 years ago

The score switch you referenced would be fine. You don't need the other switch.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=618

You'll need to buy some 1N4148 diodes for them too.

#1101 5 years ago

There could be, I don't know. I haven't ordered any switches from PBR.

3 weeks later
#1115 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

So I'm looking at the manual and can't find a switch matrix for the life of me. I know this era is a 5x8 array and am trying to pinpoint some odd behavior.
Anyone have any idea where to find the switch matrix for a strikes and spares online? Or is it as easy as writing down the switches in order (if so, is it 1, 2, 3 down the first column, or across the row?)
Also - any tips if you get a credit by wiggling a controlled lamp? (Not kidding... Figured I'd start with tracing the wire but had to ask)

The manual on IPDB has the switch matrix in it.

3 months later
#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Good eyes inkochnito ^^^
Inspect the soldering on the other pin headers in case more need to be resoldered.

Should just replace the headers anyway. No doubt the plating has been compromised.

#1410 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Got a Xenon to revive from the dead.
What's the best place to get rebuild kits? Bigdaddy? Great Plains? Somewhere else even cooler I don't even know about?

I would normally say GPE, but he's been out of kits for a while. Try Big Daddy or Marco.

5 months later
#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Question, I bought a space invaders backbox with glass etc. But there is no board to drive the front bulbs. I can buy the board to do that. Wonder how this is going to be attached and will work if I just power the board? How are these bulbs attached to the board, I see some huge connectors in the manual.

It won't work just by powering the board. You need something to control the lamps, which is the MPU. And to power the MPU you'll need regulated +5V and unregulated +43V. The lamps are normally +6V unregulated, but you could use regulated +5V if you want.

I would just use a computer AT power supply for the 5V, but you will also need a transformer to "fake" the zero crossing circuit on the MPU, something in the 21-24V range. Might be difficult to find.

What I would suggest, and what I did since I also have a SI head with no body, is to buy a E122-125 transformer and rectifier. Take an AC power cord and wire a connector to supply power to the transformer (I'd have to check the schematics to see which pins are the AC supply). Then you can power everything in the head including the sound board and displays. I made a switch matrix board so I could actually coin up, start a game and score points. It makes a very cool wall hanger.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Hmm, that sound like a lot of work, I was hoping a 2 channel running light board would be available I see some 4 channel ones on Amazon. But not sure I can add 32x 6v lamps to that.
amazon.com link »

It says 5A max and those look like some beefy drive transistors so I have to assume that's 5A per channel. You'd have no problem running incandescents with it - 8 per channel as you need.

2 weeks later
#1554 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Has anyone used the repro Bally ASE-2911-17 Drop Target Leaf Switches from Marco's? I rebuilt both drop target banks with new tombstone targets in my Mata Hari this weekend and I replaced one of the old, original mangled lead switches with a brand new one from Marco's. First thing I noticed before putting it in was the stripe on the diode was in the "wrong" direction

It was discussed in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-scoring-with-drops-on-mata-hari#post-4786034

3 weeks later
#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What causes the flipper to re-fire when you are holding it up and the ball comes down and hits it?

Typically a coil stop problem.

#1575 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Interesting. I have this happen on a 78 Lost World after a full flipper kit install. I think it did it before that as well, but can’t remember exactly.

Where did you get your flipper kit? I stopped buying them from PBR because I don't like the black metal. My flippers did not feel as strong and I had snap back problems like you're having. I replaced them with Marco kits and they're much better.

I recently bought a Bally kit from Pinball Life. They look good, but I haven't tried them yet.

2 weeks later
#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I am working on a Bally MPU for a friend that has a sticker on it with AS-2962-17 MPU but it looks like a AS-2518-35. Are they the same board or does the AS-2962-17 have some differences? It came out of a Centaur but I don't know if it is the original board or not.

Memory capacity is the biggest difference.

Visually, the -17 will have all ROM locations populated with a socket where the -35 will leave a couple blank.

#1593 4 years ago

Oh I didn’t even notice the “2962”. Sorry about that.

2 weeks later
#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question for Star Trek owners- Do the slingshots in operation have a sound effect? Or just with certain dip switch settings?
In some videos they do in others they do not.

They either have chimes or the “brook” sound I believe.

1 month later
#1630 4 years ago

I pulled this SDB out of my parts stash which was missing both heatsinks plus a few other parts. It has one burned trace, but other than that it’s in pretty nice shape. I’m using LED displays so I went ahead and removed the HV components. I’m using a PSU7 for the 5V supply which will support the increased load from the LED displays.

I have to say I really like the clean, simple look of the board.

Question: Does anybody have any experience with these PSU5 and PSU7 regulators? They say heatsinks are optional. I spaced it away from the board to allow airflow, but I’m wondering if I’m going to need to mount it on a heatsink.

ECDB0EAA-8101-4BD2-A226-D23276F91568 (resized).jpegECDB0EAA-8101-4BD2-A226-D23276F91568 (resized).jpeg
#1637 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

However, I'd be interested to see what you see for voltage output on them. Every meter I put on mine showed low voltage, but everything also seems to run fine. So I dunno if I was checking wrong via the ground or something.
-Hans

I tested the board last night in-game. Initial no-load power up reading was 4.37 volts. I tweaked the adjustment pot up to 5.01 volts and connected the MPU. It booted, but the voltage dropped to 4.5 volts. When I connected the other boards it dropped to 4.18 volts and would not boot. The highest it would go was 4.48 volts under full load and still wouldn't boot.

What else are you using for LM323K replacements?

#1639 4 years ago

I don't see why the PSU-7 wouldn't work in place of the LM323. However, I have a PSU-5 that I can try and see if I just had a bad part.

You may have worked with an older version of the PSU-5. The regulators are adjustable now.

#1641 4 years ago

Tonight I replaced the PSU7 with a PSU5 and the results were even more dismal.

No-load power up reading was 4.13 volts. I was only able to adjust it to 4.6 volts. With load it dropped down to 4.01 volts.

I refuse to believe I have two bad regulators, which has me wondering if this is really a drop-in replacement on the Bally/Stern SDB. After some searching i found the answer here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lm323-replacement-released-at-ezsbccom

CoreyStup mentioned the resistor they used to raise the LM323 above ground needs to be shorted. After shorting R50, the no-load reading was 5.35 volts and I adjusted it to 5.00 volts. Under load it dropped to 4.99 volts. Much better. Played a few games and after 30 minutes it read 5.02 volts.

3 weeks later
#1647 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have a Silverball Mania where the solenoids won't fire when starting a game. The switches work, points can be made by pushing the targets, but none of the solenoids fire.
Also in test the solenoids don't operate.
On the AS-2518-22 solenoid driver board:
T1=5.22
T2=191
T3, T6 & T7=42
T4=244.8
T5=14.15
Anyone have a suggestion on where to start?
Thanks.
Robert

Check the 1A slow blow fuse under the playfield near the flippers.

#1649 4 years ago

Do you have 43V on the coils? If not the fuse holder is bad or J1 on the rectifier board needs to be repinned.

4 months later
#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This might sound like a dumb question, because I'm sure the answer is no, but it couldn't hurt to ask: are early Bally SS playfield wiring harnesses interchangeable from game to game? Specifically, I have a Mata Hari harness that's been hacked that I'd like to replace with a complete Bobby Orr's Power Play harness. I know it's a no, yet I ask anyway.

The harness connectors would be the same so the simple answer is yes. The harness would not route the same on the playfield from game to game so wire lengths could be a problem and of course you would have to connect the correct wires to the correct solenoids and switches.

1 week later
#1838 4 years ago

Verify all the coils associated with the solenoid expander are the double diode type.

If one of them was replaced with a single diode coil it will not prevent current from flowing through the coil on the other bank of the relay, which will cause the intended coil to fire weak.

2 weeks later
#1860 4 years ago
Quoted from dubby:

Hi, everyone. I've been rebuilding a Flight 2000 for about a month now, including a new playfield and new boards. I built the rectifier board from scratch using Weebly's blank PCB here: https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
Anyway, I finally got the courage to plug in J2 on the rectifier board, nothing else is plugged in, yet. I turned it on and read the voltages, some are reading a bit high and I was wondering if they will come back into spec once there's a load. Here are the values on my TA-100:
TP1: Should be: 6.3vdc but is reading 6.41 vdc
TP2: Should be: 230vdc but is reading 192 vdc
TP3: Should be: 12vdc but is reading 16.25 vdc
TP4: Should be: 6.3vac but is reading 7.53 vac
TP5: Should be: 43vdc but is reading 47 vdc
thanks for the help!

Your voltage readings look normal.

1 week later
#1891 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I would check and examine them all. It looks like those are solenoids 4, 5, and 6. If you go into test mode do any of them fire? Looks like J2 on the driver board pins 4, 9, and 10. Also check J4 on the MPU and J4 on the driver since that is the MPU telling which ones to fire. Look for wiring hacks, broken corroded pins, etc.

Speaking of J4, do any of the coils fire more than once during one cycle of the coil self-test? If so, that's a sure sign J4 on both boards needs to be repinned.

#1900 4 years ago

Have you verified power on these three coils?

1 week later
#1952 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Can anyone help with the product number of those posts please. I am missing 4 of them.
Do they just screw into the playfield?[quoted image]

They are usually wood screws and the ball beating them to death rips out the playfield leaving a big hole. Get the posts @treborlicec linked, drill your playfield all the way through, and put a washer under the base to protect your playfield like this.
A6ECCB7A-C0BB-4B2C-BBA2-C7F39E0BA55B (resized).jpegA6ECCB7A-C0BB-4B2C-BBA2-C7F39E0BA55B (resized).jpeg

#1964 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Got in contact with swinks... I believe he is hinting at make reproductions of this part.

I just looked through his site thinking he already had. This needs to be made.

1 week later
#1986 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I just picked up a non working Mr and Mrs Pac Man, when I turn it on I get a single 9 on all displays, mpu led only flashes twice, I’ve checked voltage at all TPs and all seem within range of the online guide, I also checked all fuses with DMM and they are good. Just trying to figure where to look next. Thanks.
Edit: The boards all look really clean, no battery corrosion

Depending on whether it's a flicker and one flash or flicker and two flashes, it would be either the 6810 at U7 or the 5101 at U8.

4 weeks later
#2123 3 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Just further to my previous post re the photo below. My Marco order came (I'm in Australia so had to combine shipping with others and send to a PO Box within US to send to me....anyway..) and I got the 10/32 posts as recommended.
They are one hell of a tight fit?!?!
Did I order wrong and should have gone 8/32? The original nuts underneath don't screw into new the 10/32 I ordered?
Or....do i just maybe open the hole slightly and screw through the existing holes? Wondering if the wood has shrunk slightly making the current holes that little bit tighter than normal and just drilling slightly to open is the way to go.
The other issue is the the 10/32 posts have the little "washer" at the base of them, making them match my originals. I can't find any 8/32 with this same look.
[quoted image]

Stick with the 10/32's, they'll take a beating better than the 8/32's. You need to drill out the holes a little bit for 10/32 and you should be able to buy the correct size nuts locally. Don't forget to put a washer between the playfield and post so the force of the ball hitting it is spread out over a larger area.

#2129 3 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

dothedoo to drill out the holes a little more...go from underneath up as opposed from topside down?

Topside down (may splinter a bit underneath) or go both ways and meet in the middle.

#2133 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Hey I just joined the club with a star trek. Old battery in it and I want to remove it so it will play for years to come.if I remove it but don't replace it right now will the game function? And if so just cut it off the board? Thanks.
[quoted image]

Yes and yes. But without the battery it won’t retain the high score, credits and any settings made via the coin door test button.

1 week later
#2147 3 years ago

As Mathazar said, if the flipper shaft has grooves from previous use, the bat will continue to slip until the set screws are in the grooves.

Maybe you used the left flipper on the right side. Try swapping them and see if the grooves match the alignment.

Another option is to grind the shaft and remove the old grooves.

1 week later
#2169 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Pin 1 on sound board goes to Pin 1 on MPU.
The pins that are skipped are at the high end. (33, 34 I believe, going off of memory.)

Correct, the two pins on the far left are not used.

#2170 3 years ago
Quoted from kerokero:

I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix an arch rail on a Bally Paragon that won’t stay in the post. I’ve tried tightening it down but it just pops out instead of staying in. I was thinking maybe the nylon post was worn so I rotated it to use the unworn side but it didn’t help. Maybe take the rail out and bend it slightly?[quoted image]

The post is really just a guide, not a clamp. There are notches in the wood side rails that the ends of the arch sit in. Try pushing the ends of the arch towards the top of the playfield. This will help keep the arch in guide posts.

7 months later
#2428 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm doing my first playfield swap on a Flash Gordon. My question is, I stapled down some sockets, but wasnt paying attention to the orientation of the tabs. I assume that I messed up at least some of them...where the tab that has continuity with the socket housing needs to be on the ground wire attached to the bracket of other screw down sockets...sorry for my bad explanation. In this pic, the braid going to the bracket of the screw down socket is actually going to the tab that has continuity to the bulb. I'm assuming that this is incorrect and needs to go to the tab that has continuity to the socket housing. Can someone confirm before I do all the rework?
[quoted image]

For GI sockets it doesn’t matter, they are AC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.