IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bohdi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Works best for most games. amazon.com link »

Curious how good these speakers are? I need one for my EBD.

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Most games pump out a whopping 5-10 watts....so this speaker is perfect and a great price.

Yeah this true. Just hate buying a real cheap ass speaker. Some really can some like crap. Ordered one so we'll see. Thanks. . .

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Yeah this is true. Just hate buying a real cheap ass speaker. Some really can some like crap. Ordered one so we'll see. Thanks. . .

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

. Ordered one so we'll see. Thanks. . .

Got my new speaker and it sounds fine. Speaker was gone when I got it so I put a bookshelf speaker in for awhile temporarily. Anywhew, mounting it up earlier and noticed the ground right next to it not connected? Does this mount under one of the speakers screws? Feel dumb for not knowing. And, had one bulb I could not get to work so I soldered in a new socket and still nothing? I know it worked off and on for awhile, but no more and the new socket and bulb, still nothing. It's the #10 insert for the horseshoe targets. Stumped on that one.

20170117_162945 (resized).jpg20170117_162945 (resized).jpg

20170117_164738 (resized).jpg20170117_164738 (resized).jpg

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Bingo.
If the bulb is not flashing during the lamp test, jump the wired tab to the wired tab of the working bulb next to it. It it lights, the problem is not the bulb or socket. It will be either one side of the plug into the light board or the transistor that controls the light.

So, I'm just running a wire from one connected socket (dead one ) to the next working one correct?

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do you have a diode installed on that new socket? I doesn't look like if from the picture.
I had several bulbs not working on my Baby Pac that I swore were bad sockets. Ended up being blown whimpy SCRs in the lamp matrix.
Is this the ONLY controlled lamp this isn't working? When the SCRs blow, the bulbs stop working in pairs. You should be able to tell if it is a bad SCR by looking at the schematics for your game and checking if the other bulb paired with this one is not working as well.

No, no diode installed. And it is the only controlled lamp not working. Guess I need to install I diode or get a lamp socket with one installed. What about the ground near the speaker?

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Looks like the wire Yellow/ green has come off the solder tab? , Could even be a bad solder joint on the common wire ,right next to the bulb holder mounting screw( Check that using a screwdriver shorting the solder blob to the Common)
It that fails
Trace that wire colour to the lamp board connector , gently pull on the wire right at where it goes into the connector , if it lights up , the connector could need re soldering , or replacing .or even a new crimp on that wire.
If no luck trying all that ,
the Transistor or SCR that drives the lamp must be blown.
Speaker , yes mount the earth strap under one of the speaker screws.
Good luck

The wire is currently not soldered on. I desoldered it and tried a different socket. Is a diode needed? Where the socket mounts to the PF, it is soldered to the common wire.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Oh got you now about the loose wire , And if your sure the common has a good connection.
try looking at the connector pins on lamp board for cracks. If connectors are good , it must 95% sure it would be the SCR or transistor for that lamp
Diodes , The other sockets dont look like they have any on them , So the new socket won't need one either .
By the way what game is this EBD?

I'll double check the common connection. Redid it at least twice to make sure already, but maybe i'll redo it again. And yes, it's a EBD

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

That common should be okay , if you have re done it ,
What lamp is not working?? , I have the manual here and can work out which transistor it is for you
Probably one of the smaller 5060's on the Lamp board, but this game also uses a 2nd aux lamp board to, but all those on the aux are of the bigger MCR-1060 type.
So if you can tell us which lamp it is exactly, ie 10 Target, "d" , 7 Rack etc...???

It's the "10" insert lamp for the drops. Next to the 1-7

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

The '10' insert lamp , driven by Q26. which is a 2N5060.
Manual list that lamp as the '10 Target' and colours yellow/green so it must be the right one .
The connector pin is J1 pin 7 on the main Lamp board
good luck mate ...

Thanks, appreciate it. Will save me some time in the manual later. Hope to get back to it tonight..

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Look closely at the original socket. The mounting bracket is soldered to the common wire and there usually is a diode built into the socket between the mounting bracket and the contact point for the bulb in the socket. It is on the back side of the original socket in the picture you posted. I do not have an EBD but that is the way the sockets are on my Baby Pac.

Will do, thanks

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Look closely at the original socket. The mounting bracket is soldered to the common wire and there usually is a diode built into the socket between the mounting bracket and the contact point for the bulb in the socket. It is on the back side of the original socket in the picture you posted. I do not have an EBD but that is the way the sockets are on my Baby Pac.

Here's the original 555 socket. Don't see a diode. Hopefully tonight I can do some digging.

20170118_150237 (resized).jpg20170118_150237 (resized).jpg

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Yes. This is just a test, use an alligator clip. If the light lights, it's not the socket.

Jumped the new socket in test mode, it works. So that definitely narrows it down.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

See the slot in the plastic at the top as you are holding it in the picture? There is another terminal in that slot on the working sockets. From the terminal in that slot, there is a diode that connects to the mounting leg. The diode may get routed under the bend in the mounting leg (to the right in your picture)

But if it works when I jumped it to the adjacent socket, it must me something else I assume?

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Yes, it's something else. And the ground by your speaker wire goes under one of the speaker mounting screws. Helps with any potential feedback and such.
No need for a diode. Only if you install led bulbs. As Ralph67 mentioned, the wire for that bulb is yellow with a green chaser that meets the light board at J1 pin 7. Check the wire, check the plug and check Q-26. One of those is your problem.

Appreciate all the input guys, I really do. I hope to get into more tonight or this weekend. Unfortunately I have another issue I'd rather address 1st. Wanted to get the entire underside done (new targets, this and that etc) done so I could flip the PF back into place and finish what's left on top. Well now when I start a game it gives me the 7 Ball right away. Target doesn't drop, just gives me credit for it. Dive into that 1st, since now I have to prop the PF straight up again for easier access.

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Make sure the switch isn't stuck closed.
Replace the small cap across the switch tabs if it has one (can snip one leg for now if you don't have e a replacement on hand)
Replace the diode on the switch if it has one
Could be another board transistor problem

The 7 ball switch is now working. The leaf switch was closed. Re gapped it, it's fine now. Checked the pin on J1, seems fine as does the connector and the wire connection. Assuming it's Q26 is the problem. No way to test it.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

The 7 ball switch is now working. The leaf switch was closed. Re gapped it, it's fine now. Checked the pin on J1, seems fine as does.the connector and the wire connection. Assuming Q26 is the problem. No way to test it.

#595 7 years ago

Double post, sorry

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

You don't have a multimeter?

Nope

#601 7 years ago
Quoted from mtmellum:

Respectfully, It's a "Must Have" tool Sir.

Oh, I know, believe me..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bohdi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=bohdi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.