IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider biju.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3048 1 year ago

Hello everyone!

I bought a project Paragon and it dies when I press the left flipper button. Please bear with me as I'm very new to the hobby and perhaps bit off a little more than I can chew.

If I'm reading this page (https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Reset_Circuit) correctly it looks like I'm likely triggering the reset circuit because the +12 Volts is dropping below 8.2/9.1 volts.

Guess:
I either have faulty diodes or the coil on one or both are bad.

What I've done so far:
I have a DMM but I'm very sorry to say I don't really understand what I'm doing here. I put it on the diode reading and tested each diode and the meter quickly would down to zero for all diodes--the left side and the right side both did the same thing and the right side is functioning "correctly" (meaning the game doesn't reset when the right flippers are pressed).

Some additional details worth mentioning:

• when the left flipper was briefly working it wouldn't stay up when the button was held. I checked the EOS switch but it looks the same as the others to me, separating when it is roughly at 75-80%.
  • the upper left flipper is completely off the link. This is because the coil sleeve seems pinched and the plunger will not go all the way up and down smoothly and I suspect it was getting stuck up. Part of me wonders if someone figured it as the culprit (as I do now) and took it apart

Next move, if this makes sense...
Replace the upper left flipper coil.

I read through this thread: (corrosion damage on the MPU)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-dies-after-i-flip

and this thread: (the MPU matrix wires were getting mixed up with the flipper wires on the solenoid board?)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-resets-with-right-flipper-why

but I don't think either of these apply to my particular problem. Why? Because while this behavior is exactly how the pin was described by the person who sold it to me the game *did* seem to work for a very brief period (3 minutes) before exhibiting this behavior. Besides, the second "fix" seems more like a hack than understanding the core problem.

#3055 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

You can't test the diodes when they're still connected to the coil. That's because the coil windings are essentially short circuits across the diodes and will give you false readings. The only way to test those diodes is to disconnect at least one leg from the coil to isolate the diode.
When you set your multi-meter to DC voltage, what do you measure on the MPU board at test point TP2?

Hi Quench--

First off, thank you for your response. And apologies for the newb moment on the diodes (I'll read up on them some so I don't ask and do as much silly things).

I tested TP2 on the MPU and it read as 13.5vDC ± 0.3.

If I'm reading the schematics correctly (which one should not assume) TP2 on the MPU should be 11.9vDC unregulated.

edit: I changed ~13.5vDC to ~13.5vDC ± 0.3 to 13.5vDC ± 0.3. Just wanted to not confuse everyone with wonky vernacular. If I ever do it, please let me know as I prefer to be exact and follow proper terminology.

#3061 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

With the machine OFF, disconnect the 25 pin J3 connector off the solenoid driver board. Power on the machine and measure the voltage at test point TP3 on the rectifier board.

This was strange to me because it wasn't consistent and I'm scratching my head. Something tells me we (really, you) have narrowed the problem down.

I did as instructed and my first readings were in the -9±1 range (on the 2000m setting--sorry I've got a cheapo DMM) but it continued to go up over time. My last reading was at -30±1 (after perhaps a minute) and it seemed as though it was going to continue going up. I turned the machine off because I became concerned at the inconsistent (and rising) reading. I was getting a "1" on the 200m setting and in the hundredths on the 20 setting. (I probably need to invest in a better DMM.)

NOTE: the device read with a negative sign which is what I'm not understanding. I would have expected a positive value and I double-checked (and triple- and quadruple-checked) this because I didn't understand if I was doing something wrong.

Once again I greatly appreciate your help.

#3066 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The 2000m scale setting in DC voltage mode on the meter specifies you want to read voltages up to 2000 milli-volts aka 2.0 volts. Any higher voltage under measurement and you won't get a proper reading. Since you're measuring a voltage that will potentially be as high as 16 volts, set to the meter to the 20 scale in DC voltage mode.
[quoted image]

Apologies for the delay...you know, life stuff.

I attempted to do this again, removing the J3 connector from the solenoid driver board and testing TP3 on the rectifier board. As I previously mentioned the voltage continues to go up as the game is on but there is definitely something wrong here. Here's a pic of the DMM (excuse the lousy DMM--I didn't realize there were different quality meters and perhaps I should just go get a good one) reading for TP3 after the game had been powered on for ~8 minutes:

DMM reading - Rectifier TP3 (resized).jpgDMM reading - Rectifier TP3 (resized).jpg

I did notice that TP3 on the rectifier was bent. I'm unsure if that makes a difference but I figured I'd show how this board looks because I was wondering if that is at all my issue (on top of other things).

Rectifier Board Test Points (resized).jpgRectifier Board Test Points (resized).jpg

Once again, I really, really appreciate any advice given and if you're ever in Seattle I'll gladly buy you your drink (beer, wine, whisky, coffee, etc.) of choice.

#3068 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What did it read at initially? Where are you sticking the black lead of the multimeter? Click up to the next higher volts DC range and check again, it does not normally pass 20v, but some cheap meters don't give you any hint you are out of range.
If it still reads zero volts, switch over your meter to AC volts and probe across top-right and bot-left terminals of BR2 as we are looking at in your picture. Should see ~12v AC. If still zero volts, probe from BR2 top right lug to the bottom F3 fuse clip. If you now see AC volts the fuse or fuse clips are bad.
If you still see no AC volts you have to check the transformer tap wires.

The black lead on the MM was on the ground braid at the front of the head of the cabinet; actually it was on the screw that screwed it into the head.

Paragon Ground Braid (resized).jpgParagon Ground Braid (resized).jpg

Click up to the next higher volts DC range and check again, it does not normally pass 20v, but some cheap meters don't give you any hint you are out of range.

I checked the range on 200m, 2000m, 20 and 200. The readings for TP3 were...

200m: out of range
2000m: -046
20: -0.04
200: out of range

Just to make certain I wasn't going crazy I also measured the remaining test points. They were:

TP1: -22.2vDC
TP2: 161±0.1vDC
TP4: 28.5vDC
TP5: 18.4vDC

If it still reads zero volts, switch over your meter to AC volts and probe across top-right and bot-left terminals of BR2 as we are looking at in your picture. Should see ~12v AC. If still zero volts, probe from BR2 top right lug to the bottom F3 fuse clip. If you now see AC volts the fuse or fuse clips are bad.
If you still see no AC volts you have to check the transformer tap wires.

Before I move forward with this part let me make certain I understand because I don't want to mess up and give you false information. Are these the two terminals (top-right and bottom-left) you're referring to on BR2 (circled in red)? And then based on that, if that still reads 12vAC I should probe (again, AC) the top-right of the circled red and the bottom of the F3 fuse clip (below, not shown in pic)?

Rectifier Board Test Points - Copy (resized).jpgRectifier Board Test Points - Copy (resized).jpg

I apologize for the likely frustration (you and everyone in the thread) and greatly thank you for your patience.

#3070 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Yes. Measure red circles with multimeter set on volts ac.

Those read as 13.0 ± 0.1 vAC.

#3072 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

The problem of this board usually resides on the other end, not on the top, but on the bottom where the 3 connectors are, post a picture of the other half of the board.

Here's a picture of the lower portion of the board. As I was taking this picture I noticed what I *think* is the wrong size connector. It's connected correctly but I think I'm going to re-pin that one with a correct sized one eventually. (One thing at a time, right?)

Rectifier Board - Lower (resized).jpgRectifier Board - Lower (resized).jpg

Top Left Connector - Wrong Size (resized).jpgTop Left Connector - Wrong Size (resized).jpg

#3074 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

sounds like the bridge is bad, blown open circuit, if you AC volts going in and no dc coming out. Your 20a fuse clip is in rough shape. That IDC connector will probably burn up unless you are going to use LEDs.
The rectifier board and its connectors likely needs rebuilt/replaced.

Well, that's too bad but not totally unexpected. I'm seeing several different prices for what appears to be the same thing: a replacement AS-2518-18 board. When I see this I assume the components are the reason. Any recommendations here?

And thank you very much for your help on this!

#3086 1 year ago

First off I really must say this: you guys are awesome and I love this community! It's really nice for someone like me who is trying to learn but nobody nearby (that I know of) to learn from. Thank you very much to all.

Quoted from Thunfisch:

I've got one more idea for you: After you have rebuild and repaired and refurbished and redone (and so on) everything, consider changing at least the GI to LED. There are LED available nowadays that really look and shine like incandescent bulbs. This will reduce the curent signifficantly and your new connectors and rectifier bridges will live eternally.

Between what I've read and what I've now been told it seems I can reduce the overall power consumption if I change out the displays to newer LED displays and to replace the GI.

For the LED GI I either need to have a modern lamp board (such as Alltek) or I can purchase an adapter. The pricing seems to be $120 vs $45 respectively so I guess I just need to consider whether upgrading to a new board makes sense.

Regarding the LED displays I think I can immediately put them in without issue, but I will be able to disconnect the HV from them as the newer displays don't use them. Of course, the cost of new displays is high so it's something to consider.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3087 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

With your meter set to DC mode on the 20V scale, what do you measure on the BR2 output - black meter probe at the circled black leg, red meter probe on the circled red leg?
Do this measurement with J3 still disconnected.
[quoted image]

It read as 13.5 ± 0.2 vDC.

#3090 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

So if the output of bridge BR2 measures 13.5vDC with J3 disconnected from the rectifier board, meanwhile you measured 13.5vDC at TP2 on the MPU board with J3 connected, this suggests you possibly have a bad capacitor at C23 on the solenoid driver board, or there's a bad connection to that capacitor.
Reconnect J3 to the solenoid driver board.
Power up the game.
Measure the voltage directly on the C23 capacitor - it's the big one in the middle of the solenoid driver board which is the top right board in the headbox. With your multi-meter set to 20v DC scale, put the black meter probe on the right leg of that capacitor and the red meter probe on the left leg of that capacitor. What do you measure?

Ok, I reconnected J3 on the solenoid driver board and tested C23 which looks significantly different than others I've seen--photos below.

It reads as 13.42 ± 0.2 vDC.

Here's shots of the board and I tried to get a pic of the specific C23 capacitor.

Paragon Solenoid Driver Board (resized).jpgParagon Solenoid Driver Board (resized).jpg

Paragon Solenoid C23 (resized).jpgParagon Solenoid C23 (resized).jpg

#3093 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

That's not the original C23 capacitor, someone's changed it and installed it upside down - and potentially installed it backwards (they are polarised (directional)). Can you get the camera in to take a picture of how the capacitor is connected?

I'll get that picture in about 10 minutes! From memory there are black and red wires running from the leads but I couldn't necessarily see underneath.

This suggests the capacitor is faulty. But something doesn't smell right. You originally mentioned the game was actually powering up and playing? Does it still?
When you tested the DC voltage on the BR2 bridge, you did have the J3 connector (top right corner of the head-box) disconnected?
Also, just confirm your game is a Paragon?

The game powers on, the LED flashes 7 times, the solenoids all fire (except the knocker as one of the wires has been disconnected/pulled off before I got it), and a game will start up and play until the left flipper button is pressed.

Yes, when I tested the BR2 bridge J3 was disconnected.

Yes, this is a Paragon.

#3094 1 year ago

Pictures below.

I can clearly see the black wire from the negative lead going to the left side and the red wire from the positive lead going to the right side.

For Orientation:
IMG_0840 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_0840 - Copy (resized).jpg

Where the red lead ends:
IMG_0839 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_0839 - Copy (resized).jpg

Where the black lead ends (apologies, this was upside-down so the bottom of that capacitor is pointing down):
IMG_0837 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_0837 - Copy (resized).jpg

#3095 1 year ago

I was just looking at the Solenoid component parts list in the manual and it looks like C23 is supposed to be a 11700uF 20v capacitor.

Am I reading the one in my board wrong or does that say 1,500uF and 75v? Wouldn't that be significantly underpowered?

#3097 1 year ago

When you measured the 13.2vDC on the capacitor, you had the black meter probe on the lower side of the capacitor and the red meter probe on the top leg of the capacitor?

Yes, I connected the red probe on the top leg and black probe on the bottom leg.

Yes! Very good pickup... I originally thought it was 15,000uF without paying close enough attention. That is very likely your problem. You can probably ignore the flipper tests I just mentioned. So the voltage measurements did point to something with that capacitor..

Ok, great!

I'm going to scour my area for someone who may have this capacitor on hand but if they don't I'll probably be ordering from GPE. I think this is the correct ones for C23 and C26 respectively (assuming I should just replace both):

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CERH-15000uF-25V

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CEA-150uF-350V-RMD

#3099 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

This would have been the better choice for C23 but he's out of stock:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CERS-15000uF-25V
I'm not sure if GPE is back online or when he will be, he's had some family stuff to deal with.
You can otherwise try Big Daddy or Mouser / Digikey.
https://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/bally_kits.htm#b-regcap

Is there concern in going significantly over on voltage? There's a local place that has 15,000uF 63v capacitors in stock and I seem to remember this should be fine although the memories of my classes from the 80s have been eroded by hops and grapes.

Edit: my research sounds like I technically can do this but at the expense of overall lifetime of the capacitor.

#3102 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

Somebody has replaced the original (crimped) connector with an ICD type, which is per se not a problem, but ... Also take a look at the third connector, which is partly replaced by soldering the wires directly to the board.
This is not uncommon since these connectors are usually burnt, they are under-dimensioned, Bally later switched to a better solution.
I would recommend to redo that part of the world. Perhaps its a good idea to replace the whole board. There are several aftermarket replacements available for a reasonable price. Also, all these aftermarket boards have bigger rectifier bridges than the original. I already used several of them, all were fine. I did not yet try the weebly board linked above as it sems to be not available in Germany. I am sure it will do its job. I have also seen a "solderless" version of this board (which is not available in Germany, too)

[NOTE: I apologize for the very long post here--I guess I had a lot of questions.]

It wasn't until I started waiting for my capacitors to show up that I really absorbed what was written here. Now I see exactly what was meant and so I dug in a little more. One thing I noted early on was most of my backbox did not light up. It looks like the first two J3 pins on the rectifier board are burned and someone clipped them off. Good--problem was easy enough to figure out but now I'm seeing a ton of other burned pins. Boo. So I'm going to actually try to re-pin these guys and I was hoping folks would be kind enough to get me going in the right direction here.

Edited to remove most of my babble as to not clog up the thread--I found everything I need so the questions became unnecessary.

1 year later
#3648 8 months ago

Yesterday I turned on my Paragon got a few flips in and then something popped. Now I'm only getting 6 flashes so I'm attempting to troubleshoot this and would like a little confirmation I'm chasing this down the right way.

I checked TP3 and I'm getting ~23vDC on it. My next test point should be pin 18 on U10, correct? And just to confirm, this is the 18th pin on (I guess I'm calling it) the bottom side of the PIA. From what I've read this should be pulsing?

#3653 8 months ago

Nice call. F4 was blown and to make matters worse I hadn't checked to make sure the fuses were correct when I acquired the machine. This isn't the correct fuse so I'm hoping no further damage was done.

Lesson learned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 99.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 179.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider biju.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=biju and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.