IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#367 7 years ago

Guys, I'm having a strange issue with my Baby Pacman. The lamp matrix gets messed up to where the inserts still light, but the lights are not lighting in the correct order. I've traced it to the PIA that leads to the lamp matrix. After I replace the PIA, the lamp matrix works fine for a while (a day or two) then it acts up again. Rebooting the machine sometimes results in it starting messed up or sometimes it starts up normally which leads me to thinking the PIA is not being initialized correctly. I have an Alltek CPU board.

Anyone seen the lamp matrix get messed up like this before? Any idea where to look for whats messing up these PIAs?

#369 7 years ago
Quoted from Nighthawk128:

So the new pia eventually gave you the same result. Almost seems like the game isn't set for baby pac man. Or forgets it's running baby pac man. Have you talked to someone at Alltek? Sound obvious but i'd talk to them first.

I think it is still running baby pac code as all the playfield rules still work. I tried reseating the PIA in the socket tonight and low and behold, it started working again. The problem appears to be a flakey socket on the Alltek board. I'll contact them tomorrow.

1 week later
#379 7 years ago

Don't know of a guide but they are standard .1" pitch connectors. I replaced the headers on my boards with extra long, gold plated connectors and that solved most of my connector problems. You may still have to replace some of the connectors, however.

I used part number CH100-40G-0.318 from GPE. You can get the crimp on pins and housings from him too. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=70

#385 7 years ago

If you need a crimping tool, this one works great for me. It crimps the wire and the insulation in one crimp. I was skeptical but it really works each and every time!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLN93S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

3 months later
#519 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Where is the best place to buy replacement bulb sockets for under the playfield? I swear half of the ones in my Viking don't work.

Make sure you check the lamp matrix SCRs before replacing sockets. I thought I had bad sockets, turned out to be several bad SCRs in the lamp driver.

1 month later
#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Got my new speaker and it sounds fine. Speaker was gone when I got it so I put a bookshelf speaker in for awhile temporarily. Anywhew, mounting it up earlier and noticed the ground right next to it not connected? Does this mount under one of the speakers screws? Feel dumb for not knowing. And, had one bulb I could not get to work so I soldered in a new socket and still nothing? I know it worked off and on for awhile, but no more and the new socket and bulb, still nothing. It's the #10 insert for the horseshoe targets. Stumped on that one.

Do you have a diode installed on that new socket? I doesn't look like if from the picture.

I had several bulbs not working on my Baby Pac that I swore were bad sockets. Ended up being blown whimpy SCRs in the lamp matrix.

Is this the ONLY controlled lamp this isn't working? When the SCRs blow, the bulbs stop working in pairs. You should be able to tell if it is a bad SCR by looking at the schematics for your game and checking if the other bulb paired with this one is not working as well.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

The wire is currently not soldered on. I desoldered it and tried a different socket. Is a diode needed? Where the socket mounts to the PF, it is soldered to the common wire.

Look closely at the original socket. The mounting bracket is soldered to the common wire and there usually is a diode built into the socket between the mounting bracket and the contact point for the bulb in the socket. It is on the back side of the original socket in the picture you posted. I do not have an EBD but that is the way the sockets are on my Baby Pac.

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Here's the original 555 socket. Don't see a diode. Hopefully tonight I can do some digging.

See the slot in the plastic at the top as you are holding it in the picture? There is another terminal in that slot on the working sockets. From the terminal in that slot, there is a diode that connects to the mounting leg. The diode may get routed under the bend in the mounting leg (to the right in your picture). The diodes on my sockets are the small, pink glass type, not the black plastic type common on other games and modern games.

That is the way my sockets are laid out. But as aobrien points out, your sockets may be different than the ones used on my game.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

But if it works when I jumped it to the adjacent socket, it must me something else I assume?

Yea, now that I think about it, if the Diode was missing, I think the bulb would be lit all the time. It wouldn't hurt to take a close look at the working sockets and confirm there isn't a diode on them.

If there are no diodes on the other sockets, it's most likely the SCR on the board for that lamp.

2 months later
#634 7 years ago

Hey guys, I was helping a friend with an early Stern with -100 series boards that are virtually the same, if not the same as the 2518 boards. Issue is his 5v was running at 5.9v. I lifted R49 Andrew mentioned in another thread to drop it to 5.7v but that is still too high for comfort. I reflowed the solder joints around the 7805, even though they all looked good without change. I lifted legs on R50 and it was a little over 5 ohms but is supposed to be 4.7. Could this be it?

Anyone have any tips or is this simply a bad 7805SC?

#636 7 years ago

Thanks Marco. The fact that this resistor drifted up to 5+ ohms isn't helping. I'll try a 2.2 ohm there and report back.

#644 6 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

R49 and R50 are used to raise the DC level from the regulator a bit which is normally 5V. In Bally power supplies, R50 is a 2.2Ohm resistor. Stern raised the DC level a bit more with a 4.7Ohm resistor for R50. I would Replace the 4.7Ohm resistor with a 2.2Ohm resistor for more comfort.
Marco

So I reconnected R49 and made R50 2.7 ohm (measured, closest value I had) and the voltage went from 5.9 to 5.7. Maybe the effects of an aging 7805?

Is there harm in making R50 (zero ohms)? I suspect not as the reference design for the 7805 has the "common" pin tied to ground. I guess my other option is removing R49 again and taking back another .2V or so.

Whats typical for a Stern PS 5V supply?

#645 6 years ago

The game with this power supply problem is a Stern Magic. After getting it running again, the controlled inserts are very dim. I rebuilt the power supply board in the base cab with new resistors, header pins and fuse holder clips and they are still dim. The header pins on the lamp board are all new too.

Anyone have suggestions what the cause of dim inserts could be? Repin the cable connector on the power board? Other ideas to check?

#649 6 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I literally just fixed dim insert lighting 5 minutes ago. Replaced BR1 and all is good again. Try that?

Thanks! I'll check that!

Quoted from MarAlb:

I should expect about 5.2V in this configration which is a nice value to compensate losses caused by connectors and wiring.
It is no problem just to jumper R50 and remove R49. Then, the output should be 5V +/- 0.1V. If the output is still at the high side, the regulator drifted away over the years. You can also experiment with a lower value for R50, 1 or 1.5 Ohm.

Thanks!

1 month later
1 month later
#724 6 years ago

I thought I would post the problem I was having with my Baby-Pac, just in case someone has similar problems.

Occasionally when I powered up the game, the insert lamps would work, but not light up the correct inserts. Sometimes turning it off and back on would resolve it. I thought it was the lamp matrix PIA U10 as swapping it would appear to resolve the issue.

Turned out to be the zero cross circuit. This circuit on the CPU board is fed by the GI AC voltage (on Baby Pac, other games may have different feed) and tells the lamp U10 PIA when to switch between the 2 lamps on each lamp string. Someone had snipped the wire at the GI tie-in point under the playfield and patched a wire from the 43V DC flipper circuit from the lamp/solenoid board into the zero cross circuit. Not sure why someone would make this mod but its no wonder why the zero cross circuit had a hard time functioning only detecting the ripple on the DC supply. Removing the jumper, reconnecting the GI wire under the playfield fixed it right up. Insert lamps function perfectly each and every time I power up the game.

Not sure how common this "mod" is but I thought I would post it just in case someone else has problems with inserts not lighting the correct inserts.

#727 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. the story on this is Bally made a little change to the zero crossing detection circuitry
-- to there dash-35 board. So certain games that were made with diode lamps would be
-- driven one way and regular pinballs be driven the "traditional way". The tech or whom
-- ever was set on the "traditional" zero detection circuitry and probably did not have a
-- manual or they swapped out the CPU that had the 43 volts zero detection.
Note: Bally CPU board AS-2518-133 is the one that has CR52, a 1N4148 diode.
------ (Games with diode lamps).
------ Bally CPU board AS-2518-35 is the one that has R113, a 2k resistor.
------ (Games with no diode lamps).

Interesting, and good to know, thanks. My game had an Alltek CPU board so the mod was probably done for the CPU board that was in the game before the Alltek.

8 months later
#940 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I use these that directly fit in:
KBPC810PBF made by Vishay Semiconductors.
http://export.rsdelivers.com/productlist/search?query=KBPC810
https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=KBPC810
Be careful of the cheap Chinese units on Ebay/Aliexpress - they are physically bigger and won't fit.

The parts you linked are 8A bridges. I thought the stock bridges were 10A.

1 month later
#1043 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Think this is most active thread to try and ask a question so here goes.
If missing the original metal top trim on a classic Stern, do people recommend putting substitute black plastic trim as sold by someone like Action Pinball?
Or just leave glass with no top trim?
Guessing impossible to find original metal top trim.

Check out Gatecrashers repro parts. Looks like all he makes is the metal lift trim, not metal u-channel.

https://images.pinside.com/5/2a/52a32db70762186e50ce5c3a2f212eb4514cee4f/resized/large/52a32db70762186e50ce5c3a2f212eb4514cee4f.jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1228-gatecrasher

2 weeks later
#1077 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Does anyone have this 24-position connector (male side) that I could get from you…or a P/N so I could buy one?
It’s the coin door to harness connector from my Night Rider. I don’t want to cut the one off my existing harness, if I don’t have to.
Thanks.
Robert

Isn't that a standard 24 pin 0.062 molex connector? You can confirm my looking at the dimensions on the drawing at GPE's site. If its the right size, you can order the housings and pins/sockets from GPE. They also sell a tool to make removing pins/sockets from those housings.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=03-06-2242

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.