20231106_201012 (resized).jpg
IMG_5885 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2522 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2521 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2125 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KJL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2602 2 years ago

Just brought a stars project back from the dead and it has motivated me to take another crack at a -17 that has haunted me for a few years. I've had it up to 5 flashes but it's back to locked on. I have plenty of good chips from a working board so suspect the machine pin sockets. Is there a better test ROM than Leons for Bally?

Thanks

#2606 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

No test rom is going to work if you can't get the game booted. Concentrate on the timing circuit and the sockets first. Once you get it booting consistently, 6th and 7th flashes for the interrupts can be worked out - either the input to the PIA is bad, the PIA is bad, or the chips and components that generate those signals are.
the hard part is the getting to boot part. Usual suspects as well would be AMI parts these seem to fail more often than genuine motorola.
There's a test rom for bally that does memory tests and stuff like that, and an enhanced switch test, single lamp test, etc. on pinwiki, but if the board doesn't boot.... no good.
There's no test roms like the pincoder ones.... yet.... a set could be created I suppose.

Thanks slochar for the insight into the state of the art with Bally test ROMs. I got it working on the bench through brute force continuity and logic probing.

This made it a half day job from start to in-game test including the repair jumpers.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/5/59/Bally_MPU_Board.pdf

Wonder why I never noticed this but a must have for anyone and probably the reason I found all the problems in the board I have been fighting for a while. Be sure to bookmark it.

I drew out something per chip but the color coding and layout made this a breeze

Thanks Pinwiki.com

Kenny

8 months later
#2942 2 years ago

cysnake lools great can you share what you did to polish the coin door I’m about to start that also

4 months later
#3205 1 year ago

Hello,

I'm putting an eight ball deluxe project back together and ran into a CPU problem I haven't seen so wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions where to look.

Game arrived non-working with rectifier and SDB rebuilt now. I have 30+ feature lights out with my -35 CPU that work in lamp test with my test CPU (Centaur ROMs). It appears to have the original ROMS so 2 questions I could use help with

1 Can this be ROM related and if so who do you use to burn 2532 game ROMs ? I want to try EBD /32 from Oliver. I can burn 2732 but this board is clean so want to try 2532.

2 Anything else while I wait for ROMS to check out, I probed all the lamp lines at the CPU and lamp board input and cant find any obvious dead pins. Also same lamps are out with a known working Weebly lamp board. Any suggestions to try?

Thanks for any help,

Kenny

#3210 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

MPU J1 connector is a likely cause if it is related to the MPU.

Thanks, this was it. I put the CPU back in to test displays and more lights worked. Since I had not removed the lamp board connectors. I just replaced the J1 male pins since I had already re-pinned the female connector. So far so good 100% of lamps working now.

Also glad for the advice on the ROMs, Good point on the test during the flash sequence. Didn't think about that.

3 months later
#3367 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Problem is; I usually spend WAY TOO MUCH restoring them to ever hope getting the money back out.

Amen, I just finished up an EBD restore from the dead but had more water damage than I thought and ended up with a whole pile of new woodworking tools. Will never get back what I put in. But I really like the result and would do it again. Especially with all the new tools I have

#3376 1 year ago

Im looking for a diagram someone posted (on one of these bally or game specific threads) that shows the voltages at various parts of the high voltage circuit of a Bally SDB. I have searched this and the game specific threads I follow and just keep missing it.

I completely rebuilt the HV section on an AS 2518-16 over the summer that I use as a backup and it just burned up R52 so I'm trying to figure out what is broken to let the voltage get too high across it.

Thanks if anyone remembers that.

#3377 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

Im looking for a diagram someone posted (on one of these bally or game specific threads) that shows the voltages at various parts of the high voltage circuit of a Bally SDB. I have searched this and the game specific threads I follow and just keep missing it.
I completely rebuilt the HV section on an AS 2518-16 over the summer that I use as a backup and it just burned up R52 so I'm trying to figure out what is broken to let the voltage get too high across it.
Thanks if anyone remembers that.

This is the post. Really helped me with the diagram reorganized to make the circuit easier to understand. Now to do some readings.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-22-voltage-regulator-problem-with-high-voltage#post-6207406

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KJL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=KJL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.