IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#400 7 years ago

Crap, i forgot to measure it for you.

Gimme a half-hour, I'll go donw and measure mine.

#401 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Crap, I forgot to measure it for you.
Gimme a half-hour, I'll go down and measure mine.

Okay, I measured max 35k ohm, min 2ohm. (Surprising, since I would have put money down it was 10k as well..)

Mine looks original, but oddly with one lead disconnected, every combination of leads from the pot varied depending on turning the pot. None of the three were a fixed resistance.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Okay cool thanks. That's really odd behavior, as the two outer terminals are connected to the ends of the resistor stuff inside.

Yeah - the only thing I can think of is that I was getting some leak-through current through the audio board. I may re-try the reading tonight, and disconnect all wires to check.

1 week later
#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I've been putting these on all my 2518s. They work great.
ebay.com link » Audio Jade 5x 1 5f 5 5v Kam Coin C Electric Double Layer Farad Super Capacitors

How long does a charge last? The only reason I've been staying away is I don't want to lose settings if I'm out of the house for a week or two on vacation and can't turn the games on.

#416 7 years ago

Cool, thanks guys, I like those odds. Will give it a try on the MrMrs Pac Man I gotta restore..

2 weeks later
#430 7 years ago

Okay, stupid question guys..

I need a 28-pin housing for the MPU connector, J1. I checked Digikey and Mouser, both don't carry .100" headers in 28pin. I can get a 30-pin, but I'd rather get one that matches, first.

Thanks!
-Mike

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Now considered obsolete by Molex. Get 'em while you still can...

Yeah. 25-pins are also running dry.

1 week later
#457 7 years ago

Odd question, would be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

I was talking to my boss today about those 28-pin headers, and since he's been desiging PCBs for a lot longer than I have, I asked him how he would handle connections like that, if he was to redesign the MPU boards. (Something like Alltek and their boards..)

I am against re-desining the larger headers - i.e. leave them as-is, and like mentioned above, use two smaller connector housings and fit them together. (Two 14-pins. Or a 14-pin and two 7's, etc.)

He was strongly for redesining the headers. (i.e. J4, where you have sol data going out and power coming in, he was for making it 'logical' - make an 8-pin header for sol data going out, and then the rest of the pins for power coming into the board.) His argument was this - you're making a new product, use whatever connectors you can that will help make it last. If that means the end-user has to do a little more work (repinning a header), that's an acceptable set-back, if it means that in twenty years, the users can still get 7-pin housings and not have to worry about piece-mealing multiple headers together.

So, I was just curious on thoughts - if someone like Alltek or Rottendog came out with a new MPU board, but it had some small changes to the connectors, would that turn you off?

#461 7 years ago

Interesting, thanks for the discussion guys - Yeah, I agree that if it's NOT backwards compatible (directly) there should be a way to make it - i.e. add a second header to the board, or a small adapter cable to be able to plug the original harness into the new headers.

#463 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Can anyone tell me the shooter rod length for the beehive style (pre-1979) Sterns? Specifically Galaxy, in this case.
Thanks

I'll bump this as I'm curious as well.

Also add on, were the handles black, or steel? (Mine is steel/metal, and I haven't found a replacement online..)

3 weeks later
#471 7 years ago

Do you get 100v AC on the top of the filter? (First pic..) If yes, do you get voltage on the BOTTOM of the filter?

2 weeks later
#493 7 years ago

I have a question that y'all will make fun of me for, I know it:

I have a Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man (Bally) that I'm shopping it for someone, and I see that there's a bulb under the apron with a frosted white "insert plug" in the apron. ..What's that for?

1 week later
#503 7 years ago

Quick question with those familiar with the 6 & 7-digit displays -

How often, in average, do components fail on the board? (i.e. Not the glass itself, but the decoder, transistors, etc.)

#505 7 years ago

Ah cool, thanks!!

1 month later
#536 7 years ago

Hey guy -
Any EE folks in this thread? Or folks that are *really* intimately familiar with teh MPU-200 flavor of the boards? If so, could you drop me an email? I have a couple really specifically odd questions.

#547 7 years ago

I just ordered two of those Amazong speakers. (One of my Meteor, and one for Mr/Mrs Pac Man I'm restoring for a friend.) I don't need bass-thumping sound (hell, on Meteor, on a good ball... that would cause you to go deaf!) so these should work well.

#550 7 years ago

Really technical and specific question -
Does anyone know the address of SW33 (The 'reset' switch)?

Tryin' to modify my ROM revision to have that button enter a credit when not in test mode, and just trying to find the call.

-Mike

#552 7 years ago

Marco -
That's perfect, thanks! I have the credit address already, so just need to increment one to that register - *IF* we're not in test mode. (Checksum is already disabled; dangerous, but, easier for testing..!)

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I started a separate thread but wanted to post on this club In case someone has this problem in the future. A Pinsider "Quench " suggested I invert all mpu dip switches to the exact opposite. This fixed my issue. Not able to pinpoint the exact switch but was due to switch 25 through 32 settings. Strange but game now works properly . Problem was game went into lamp test mode when outlane specials or drop target specials scored.

Hah! interesting..
You may have a bad PIA chip. If the game sees all the dip switches OFF/closed, it will go into test mode. I can see that meaning that if a PIA is bad, a playfield switch may be read as a duip switch, causing the PIA to send the wrong signal back to the CPU, thinking all were then off.

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Works best for most games. amazon.com link »

Quoted from eh97ac:

Most games pump out a whopping 5-10 watts....so this speaker is perfect and a great price.

I got my speaker, and plugged it in. My OEM speaker was fine - had no issues. so keep that in mind with my comments below..

This linked speaker works fine, sounds almost exactly the same to me; the upper tones seem slightly muffled, less clear than the OEM speaker.

So, if your OEM speaker is fine, then this won't be an upgrade. If your original speaker is damaged, this is a pretty good OEM replacement.

3 weeks later
#617 7 years ago

Hey guys -
Posting here as it's low priority, but I'm looking for price plates for a classic Bally coin door. Either one is fine -
$1 / 5 plays
$.50 / 3 plays (2 plays is acceptable too..)

The only catch is.. has to be a color OTHER than *green*. White, Yellow, Red, Orange, Blue, Purple, all fine. Just not green.

The $1 I can use the existing quarter metal plate, but if there's a $.50, I'll need the metal plate with a larger cutout. Of course, willing to pay..!

Edit: Found, thanks!

1 week later
#622 7 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Does anyone have a pinout chart for all of the ICs on a -35 MPU that they would be willing to share?

Should be in the freely available schematics?

3 months later
#687 6 years ago

I thought you adjust them by adjusting the lifting bar - so that when IT falls, it's not resting all the way down, holding the targets level with the PF?

2 weeks later
#704 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I had a quick question: On my Lost World I have a remote battery pack but no batteries installed while im repairing the boards. I loaded some credits into it to play test and when I power cycle the credits remain on the machine. As the game is new to me and the seller knew nothing about it is it normal for the credits to stay in the memory or is there an nvram installed?

I don't know of a pinball that DOES NOT save credits when it's turned off.

#706 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I cut the battery off my Star Gazer, but didn't install a memory cap or NVRAM. It would hold data for 2 or 3 days -- high score, last game scores, credits! Never investigated why, but thought it was pretty cool!

And I completely mis-read your post.
Okay, so, normally, yeah, the game will store credits. Without a battery, though, yeah.. in theory it should forget without power, and without NVRAM.

1 month later
#737 6 years ago

No reason NOT to use an original board. There's not much there to really go wrong - and if some fixes are done (i.e. Reset circuit, etc) when necessary, there's no reason they won't last forever.

2 weeks later
#756 6 years ago

Hey guys -
Anyone know *how many* games use the Aux Lamp driver?

#758 6 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Which one, there were 2 different version

Oh, well... Huh. I don't know. I guess I should look at the differences, first now, to see which one I'm looking at. (I'm *looking* at schematics for the one that's in Mr. & Mrs. Pacman.) If the two are electrically compatible, then it doesn't really matter. if they're NOT, I need to see why not.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Oh, well... Huh. I don't know. I guess I should look at the differences, first now, to see which one I'm looking at. (I'm *looking* at schematics for the one that's in Mr. & Mrs. Pacman.) If the two are electrically compatible, then it doesn't really matter. if they're NOT, I need to see why not.

Okay, did some research, and yeah, didn't realize there were two different models. I am meaning the larger one, -52.

3 months later
#806 6 years ago

Silly question..
On the -23 Lamp Board, can someone explain to me what R70 is used for? It *appears* to only feed the test point?

#808 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Test point TP3 that's connected to pull-up resistor R70 on the Lamp Driver Board is there for manually testing SCRs. Connecting a wire from TP3 to the gate lead of any SCR should activate the respective lamp.
It's mentioned as part of the Lamp Board diagnostic procedure in the Bally Repair Procedures manual FO-560
There are also pull-up resistors connecting to test points only on the SDB that are used for similar purposes.

Ah! Very cool. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#826 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Are the existing sockets not grabbing the IC legs well enough, or do they tend to have solder issues. Doesn’t matter either way, just curious.

Usually corrosion, and depending on the socket, bad tension in the pin holes.

8 months later
#1237 5 years ago

Did you check your Zero Crossing?
Since you ruled out the MPU and LDB, the zero crossing is coming from the transformer and line input. If your line input is wonky (UPS? Conditioner? Lightning Arrestor?) and not giving a good sine wave at 60Hz, or some bad, leaking diodes on the transformer board, that can cause the zero-cross to be wonky - on both MPUs..

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I checked the zero crossing test pad on the Alltek, it read 22.5vdc. How exactly do I test the rest? There shouldn’t be anything strange on my power coming from the house (no UPS or arrestor).

FTR, this is not how you test the zero crossing. The zero crossing is high/low, pulsing. You would need a multimeter that can report frequency. Better yet, an oscilloscope to see the high/low pattern.

However, since everyone else is sending you off on strobe hunts, I'll be quiet.

#1253 5 years ago

The only thing I can think of is some capacitance on the data line or strobe line, so that the strobe lines are too far advanced (or the data lines are too far behind) the strobe, causing the decoder chips to erroneously think they were being addressed, up until the datalines catch up.

1 year later
#2105 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah I’ll repin it once I figure this out. Pulling the pins out of the housing kind of ruins the pins.
This is a universal board and it has an extra pin on J1

FTR, earlier revisions of this board had 8 pins. Later revisions had 9. The 9th pin was another GI Lamp out (I believe, maybe Feature Lamp)? Depending on your game, your game may not use all 9 pins. (i.e. Meteor has only 8.)

#2109 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hey guys. Here's a question for you.
I'm need to build a test bench. I'd like to be able to swap components out but ultimately drive some 7 segment displays somehow on a backboard.
My thought is, I'd use an Alltek with a test board, some PinScore LED 7-segment displays, power it with a mountable 5V power supply.
The ZC will need a 48V source.
How would you guys recommend I power all this up to fool it into booting?
Thanks!

Save money, get a Weebly MPU. Can also then run test ROM software.

3 weeks later
#2168 3 years ago

Pin 1 on sound board goes to Pin 1 on MPU.
The pins that are skipped are at the high end. (33, 34 I believe, going off of memory.)

1 month later
#2265 3 years ago

Keep in mind that you would technically need TWO resistors -
One to provide the load across the feed to the driver (i.e. between the two pins), and then one in series with the LED for limiting current/voltage to the LED, to avoid blowing it up. It looks like that IS the case with the second picture there.

1 year later
#2660 2 years ago

That corner. Holy hell..!

1 year later
#3400 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Pop bumper led? I hate those bayonet base pop lamp holders. This should be able to sit low in the body and with a wide angle lense led should light up pretty good.
[quoted image]

Interesting. Willing to do some testing. Some bodies are different sizes, and will they have a cap/res pair for anti-flicker?

2 months later
#3488 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I have a Space Invaders that is emitting a little hum from the transformer when powered on. It's like a "standard transformer hum" and hardly noticeable with the coindoor closed and playfield down and glass on. When I start a game though, the hum increases in loudness, definitely louder and annoying. And when the game plays any kind of sound effect, the hum disappears (or goes back to the original quiet hum) until the sound effect is done, then it gets loud again. Is this a "recap the sound board" problem or something else entirely? I have not reseated any connectors or played around with anything else as of yet.

Are you absolutely sure_ the hum is coming from the transformer, and not the speaker(s)?

#3491 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Hum is from speaker after all. Had to move out the game so I could open it up, so I wasn't hearing it just thru the coindoor opening. Game is quiet when I power on, then I start up a game and get the hum. I turn the speaker down at the pot and hum is gone. I would guess/hope this is a recap the sound board fix;

Okay, I was just making sure - if the transformer WAS the one actually humming, a cap job on the sound board wouldn't fix it.

Yeah, caps would fix this. Also possible a diode or resistor is out of spec, though it's been a loong time since I've looked at that board, so I couldn't help on which ones.

1 week later
#3507 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I assume that grounding the - of C13 to the backbox ground braid with an alligator clipped wire that I had handy would do the same thing, so I tried that. Not only didn't it lower or eliminate the hum during a game, but it introduced a new hum, fairly low but still there, during attract mode.

Huh.
Is your game's plug properly grounded? If the outlet grounded? Sounds like the whole game may be floating. :/

9 months later
#3733 3 months ago

Have you replaced the coils?

3 weeks later
#3765 89 days ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I often wonder why transformers are wound for both 115 and 120. Is there really that much difference in output considering the input choices only differ by a few percent?

Some places back in the day had 105 or 110 volts fed to it instead of 120. One of my old houses was like this back in NW Illinois. We'd get 107-110v. I can imagine that that little difference could affect coil power and such?

I know WPC machines had a 100v (maybe 105v?) plug for Japan, too.

1 week later
#3801 77 days ago
Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

So it turns out the Alltek board numbers do not match the manual posted on IPDB (https://www.progettosnaps.net/manuals/pdf/fbclass.pdf). I was able to figure out how to make it 3 ball by process of elimination with the few dip switches that are in actually switched. Manual says SW6 but the new board is D9/7/31. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but I assume this is correct since the resetting the high score worked from this manual.
I basically just want to set it to the recommended setting. Maybe even removing free play so we can get the match knocker.

I do think it is just a cold solder issue. I lightly wiggled the connector last night and it goes to a good state with no flicker/fade. That should be an easy fix [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It says right there in the manual - Page #6, under "Balls Per Game"- for 5 balls, switch #32 needs to be off, and #31 needs to be on. For 3 balls, both need to be off. The switch numbers are on the Alltek board, to the RIGHT of the dips. #31 and #32 are at the top, as you've discovered.

The next two pages are 'recommended' settings for a 3 or 5 ball game. To avoid operators from setting the game 'too easy' or 'too hard' for on-location.

#3803 76 days ago
Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

Oh geeze. I was so fixated on that SW6 at the top of the game options that I failed to even see the the 32/31 on the previous page. And that description even says 100K.
Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

No worries! Alltek make the switch #'s so small as well, they're really easy to miss.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.