IMG_2446 (resized).png
IMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2088 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1345 5 years ago

I posted this in the Future Spa club thread, realized I should try here. I recently bought this machine so am working through normal things like changing switch caps. I believe this is a switch matrix issue but a weird one. Future Spa has 4 inline targets with a stand-up target at the back. The yellow stand up target at the back of the four drops has stopped working. It seemed to have trouble from the get go but it worked once in a while. Now it no longer works. Note that all the drops and the stand up happen to be on the same switch matrix strobe.

Here are the symptoms:
- all drops and stand up work (one at a time) in switch test
- any combination of two targets down, touching the stand up works.
- if three are down, the stand up stops working, except one combination 1,2,4 down, that one the stand up works.
- all four down, the stand up does not work (this is how game play normally works, the other test combinations are not possible)

I tried changing the diode on the 3rd drop since is seemed to be a common to some combinations but no luck.

Hopefully someone has an idea what this is.

Every other part of the game plays properly.

3 weeks later
#1369 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Took my kid down to play (he's 2 1/2) and for the first time (since he's an impatient player ), I noticed that even during the boot up cycle, my Strikes/Spares has functioning flippers. Other than 'it's incorrect', is there any reason to rush to fix it? Pretty sure I know how, just trying to figure out where in my list of fixes I need to prioritize it.

I had a solid state BlackJack that had the same issue. The flipper relay was fine but the transistor array that then fires the larger secondary coil transistor had failed shorted. I had flippers from the instant the power was on. No big deal but it was weird to tilt the machine and still be able to play.

2 weeks later
#1418 5 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I just completed refurb work on a Xenon, but it has an intermittent flipper issue that I can't figure out.
The left flipper works fine, but will periodically stay "flipped" (won't return to the resting position) even when the flipper button is not depressed. It is an electrical issue, because it releases if the power to the machine is turned off. The EOS switch is clearly open when this happens, as is the flipper button switch. I have done the following:
* Metered the coil. It is good and the flipper works quite well until it gets "stuck" open.
* Replaced both diodes on the coil. They are installed in the correct orientation.
* Resoldered all of the wiring to the EOS switch and the coil.
Thoughts?

Magnetized coil stop is a possibility. I have had similar behaviour that really seemed like what you described. I find the linear style flippers require subtle bending of the base plate sometimes. A poor design flaw where a small bowing of the plate adds friction.

1 month later
#1447 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

My Xenon is missing the metal plate under the power supply board. Should I just throw some heat sinks on there and call it a day?
Was also thinking of just relocating the bridges to the top of the board...

Can you show us what is happening now? The transformer and rectifier sit on the plate together. Are they loose on the floor of the cabinet? That transformer is heavy and needs to be held down.

1 month later
#1495 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Can't remember if I've asked this or not. I'm getting phantom tilts on Space Invaders. Is there a typical cause of this? I'm thinking the diodes on the switches around the tilts might need to get swapped out. Anything else?

It could be that but check for old caps on the other switches on the same column and row as the switch that false fires. It is normally not a bad diode. Do you get false firing of the pop bumpers or slings when playing?

3 months later
#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What causes the flipper to re-fire when you are holding it up and the ball comes down and hits it?

The low power coil is in series with the high power coil when the flipper is up to keep it from burning up. The ball is able the push the flipper down just enough to close the end of stroke switch which goes back to high power and causes the re-fire. I believe Space Invaders has the linear style flippers? If so they are worse than the old style largely due to slop between the nylon bushing and the slot it rides in in the metal coil plunger. Have you rebuilt the flippers? I find they are pretty good when new.

3 weeks later
#1601 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I picked up a SIlverball Mania yesterday and of course it has a couple of issues that I could use some help with.
The game boots and plays sometimes.
If it kicks out a ball & plays, when the first ball drains the game resets.
If it won't kick out a ball, everytime I push the start game button 1100 points is added to the score.
The trough switch looks good and like it hasn't been changed or resoldered since new and the diode appears to be in properly.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Robert
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Do the self tests work correctly? If switches are completely mapped wrong I would suspect ROMs are for a different game.

1 month later
#1618 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Great info, and I have been semi-successful in tracking down the issue. I have traced it down to being somewhere in the door side of the molex connector/button area. First thing I did was to pull the pins from the contacts from the plugs in the head, press the button and got no tone. Worked back from there. I think it is one of the contacts in the plug of the door harness. If I use tweezers to short the female contacts on the harness that runs through the cab I can cycle through the test menu. Still have some more poking to do to narrow down where the issue it.
All of this to confirm that yes, the tilt bob is in fact not registering. Anybody want to take a stab at this one? I will pull the glass and go through the switches on the playfield to see if anything else is not registering. I am getting some phantom pop bumper triggering.
This is all on a Future Spa by the way.

For your tilt bob, you can use a jumper wire with alligator clips across the switch leads of the tilt to check if it registers. If not then check other switches on the same columns and row of the switch matrix.

2 months later
#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

Future Spa, KISS, and Space Invaders use a unique power supply to these three games. This may have something to do with it. I think everyone so far is spot on from my experience. The little flicker does occur on pretty much every Bally to one degree or another. I'll let the engineer types chime in but I'd bet that the multitude of windings in the transformer to derive the different voltages plays a part. When the draw from four flippers happens on the +48v line, the emf puts the 7.5vac GI string sine wave out of kilter. Add that LED's are for the most part off or on, whereas incandescent filaments take a while (milliseconds) from cold to glow. Probably exacerbates the issue on this Future Spa. Anyone with a scope want to see what the 7.5vac GI line looks like when four flippers are energized?

I have an Eight Ball with incandescent GI and I see the same effect. I also have a Future Spa and it behaves pretty similarly with LED GI. LEDs are current driven so they will dim with current changes, but without the same delay as a regular bulb. The GI winding is AC output and not regulated so very brute force design. I am not sure there is much you could do to change it. I also have a Xenon and a Flash Gordon and both have the bigger transformer in the cabinet with the rectifier board next to it. They do this a lot less. I suspect Bally beefed up the 6.3VAC winding on the transformer, maybe the old one was near its saturation point.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1707 4 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Is there no way to use capacitors or some kind of capacitor circuit to solve these kinds of problems?

Simplest thing to do is use a separate AC power supply and connect the GI to it. You could use a DC power supply which is likely easier to find since the GI circuit doesn't care if it is AC or not.
After doing all that I suspect there will always be some subtle effect from the flippers.

3 months later
#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

The coin door position is always the same. The symptoms are very consistent now. The game will reset over and over, and if I simply lift the playfield up, the boot sequence will finish. It's a great clue, if I can figure out what it means. I thought maybe it was putting tension on the wire bundle to the backbox, but I don't see it doing that. Would a short on the playfield cause this kind of behavior? I'll look...

I would try pulling the switch matrix wires off the MPU card and check the behaviour. If that is not try pulling the two lighting connectors off the right side of the lighting board. After that you are only left with the solenoid driver board connectors. Something will turn up.

8 months later
#2351 3 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

Am I having a Switch Matrix issue? Game is Centaur.
Issue: The "O" of the O-R-B-S and the "2" of the 1-2-3-4 drop targets do not register if they are the last one hit in each of their banks.
All eight target switches can be seen in Self Test, and in play, the "O" and the "2" register fine as long as they are hit first, second, or third of their respective 4-bank (issue is only when they are the last to fall). Also, though very seldom, the "1" of the 1-2-3-4 will not register even if it is dropped first.
One thing I observed, maybe helpful(?) : when the "2" is the last target down in the 1-2-3-4 and the switch has failed to register, if the "Spot 1-2-3-4" standup switch is hit, it will fire the plunger for the "2" drop, as it would if it thought the "2" was the next target to drop (but the "2" is already down so nothing happens).
The switches are definitely making contact when targets are dropped, verified w/ DMM. Also replaced the diodes on the "O" and "2" switches.
All eight switches are on the same strobe line.
Where should I look next? U10 6821 PIA?

I had the same thing happen on a Future Spa. The 4 inline drops and a 5th standing target are all on the same strobe. The PIA could not power it. In my case I was able to swap the two 6821s around and it worked.

4 months later
#2522 3 years ago

Are they the same address for each chip? Could it be an stuck address line affecting all the chips at once?

7 months later
#2736 2 years ago

My Eight Ball cabinet is just like that photo, in the head there is just a space where that sound card is. Why would the chimes still be there I wonder?

#2765 2 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

Follow up to my Future Spa sound issue.
--Success!--
I was looking closer to game schematics and noticed that the listed 6820 chip located at U2 was incorrectly populated. I swapped in a 6820 (pulled the 620-29) and we're finally back in business.
~Steveo
Crank the volume. Game on:
[quoted image]

Your FutureSpa has a background song? Mine has that horrible background buzz.

3 weeks later
#2794 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Audio question for the gang:
After reassembling my xenon I seemed to have lost volume. It’s about half as loud as before.
I thought it was because of the replacement speakers so I swapped the originals.
I tried adjusting the 1k pot on the board to see if I might have lowered the volume there by accident but all that did is made things sound worse.
I changed the volume pot on the board and now that adjusts smoothly but there’s no improvement. The pot in the coin door is new as well.
Where should I start on trouble shooting low volume? Any thing I should measure or consider replacing?

Is your sound quality fine, just low? If so it implies the amplifier circuit is the issue. Are all board voltages what they should be?

2 weeks later
#2825 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

So what can be done about intermittent "lazy pops"? And I don't mean a father who sits around watching TV. Lazy Pops is the best short description I can come up with for how the pop bumpers occassionally behave in my '84 EBD.
I've had this behavior on my EBD since I bought it a few years ago. I've since done a restoration on it which included, of course, a rebuild of the pop bumpers with all new parts (rings, bodies, plastic caps, springs, skirts, coil stops, yokes, lamp sockets, plungers, and spoons). The only things original are the funky Bally/Midway bases and the leaf switches, which have been cleaned. For fun, I've also put in new coils but no change in behavior. All board-side connectors were re-pinned. The schematic does not call for caps on the pop switch stacks, but I added some anyway (100v, 0.047uF) which eliminated instances of dead pops where the ball moved the skirt stick in the spoon, closed the switch, but the coil did not fire.
Despite the fact that all voltage test points on the rectifier and SDB boards are at the expected values (as is the voltage at all the coil tabs on each pop bumper), this "lazy pops" syndrome rears its ugly head a couple of times during each 3-ball game. Most times, the pops are pretty zippy and active. But sometimes the bottom pop bumper gets so lazy, the weak pop action isn't even enough to send the ball up top to and actually reach the rollover lanes.
The slings don't seem to exhibit this, but then again they don't get as much of a workout as the pops.
One thing I haven't done yet is figure out a way to test/record the voltage levels DURING gameplay and see what they look like at the times the pops are "lazy". This feels like a power-related issue but not sure what to look at next. While I've swapped out the SDB as a test for that board (no change in pops behavior), I do not have a spare rectifier board to try and swap out. The one in there now is an aftermarket one that was in the pin when I bought it - a very clean looking Gulf Pinball power module board that measures properly at all test points.
[quoted image]
Check out this 50 second video. First half is "normal" behavior and the second half is the "lazy pops". Am I just being too picky on a 38 year old pin and this is all normal behavior, or is there something I could do here to address what sometimes appears to be weak thumper action?

That does not look normal to me. The switch on a Bally is a logical input to the MPU, there is no connection from it to anything in the solenoid firing circuit. So the switch is either triggering or not, and the MPU fires the solenoid or it doesn't. I did not see any dead hits, just weak solenoid action. Does this happen only after the machine has been on a while? I assume you have checked the coils don't feel oddly warm? Does this lazy mode suddenly come as well as go? You could rig up an external push button with alligator clips to the lower bumper's switch so you can fire it at will. I would monitor the solenoid power voltage at the coil. Hammer away at the button and try to induce lazy mode or play until it happens and keep firing it manually. I would have suggested a weak power transistor or the primary transistor on the SDB but you have replaced that board. Feels like a power connection somehow given what you have tested already.

A cheap USB scope is not expensive, if you had one you could watch how long the solenoid is being fired. The solenoid power is rectified following half-sine looking pulses. The coil is fired for something like 3 pulses. If that changes the MPU is somehow doing it but that would be pretty strange.

What is the history of the MPU? The reason I ask is the two PIA (U10 and U11) chips directly drive the data lines going to the SDB or to the switch matrix. I have a FutureSpa that could not read the stand-up target at the end of the 4 inline drops. All 5 were on the same switch matrix strobe and the PIA's internal driver had become weak, it could only handle 4 of 5 switches closed and still successfully read the switches. Swapping the PIAs got it working. In your case U11 pins set the solenoid addresses, if they misbehave you could get a result like that. You could swap them and see if the weird issues move to the reading of switches.

2 months later
#2946 2 years ago

With the screws out (make sure you get all of them), I bend the rails outward like they are falling off the side of the playfield then straighten them up again. You should be able to insert a thing wooden wedge shim that you can put a small pry tool on and then raise the rail further to clear the staples. When you first flex the rail outward it might pop and unstick then it becomes much easier.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 months later
#3029 2 years ago
Quoted from Bonk:

Thank you both for the helpful info, gives me a good place to start. I do wonder if it's a switch matrix issue, I've found several cut capacitors on stand up targets that I'll replace. Went through the tests again and here's what I found- The solenoid test runs from 01 to 25. 09-16 are activated in test. The manual lists 9 coils 01-09 and all solenoids listed except for the lockout coil will activate. When the coils fire they are out of order compared to the manual.
Instead of this order listed in the manual [quoted image]I get this order of coils firing-
Outhole
Top bumper
Right bumper
Left bumper
Drop target reset
Saucer
Flippers
Knocker
In switch test I found one playfield rollover switch that isn't registering and I also couldn't get the ball tilt to register but I'm not sure if it's supposed to in the switch test. Every switch except the non working one displays the correct number when activated. Would replacing all capacitors be the next best step to take? Thanks again.
Edit: If I activate the slam tilt switch by the tilt bob it causes the top pop bumper to fire so this is definitely a switch matrix issue? Any tips for figuring out how to fix this? Also of note, on power up the bottom pop bumper does a weak pulse, not a full pull down of the rod and ring but a very weak one.

If all the switches show up as correct but a solenoid fires wrong (tilt) or out of order it sounds like a bad address line from the MPU to the solenoid driver card. Most likely a broken wire showing up as a 0 when sometimes it should be a 1.

1 year later
#3585 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Awesome! Amazing work you’ve done. Really looking forward to it. Incidentally, Any others in the works?

Added yesterday: EDIT: received and installed the arduino. Easy install, works flawless, and your programming on this is very impressive. Can't wait to try the others.

I wrote Eight Ball Plus, first real programming project actually. I am working on Future Spa at the moment.

#3589 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Great work! Wish I didn’t sell my Future Spa. Would love to see a rewrite/sound package for Paragon.

There is a Paragon re-write but I don't think it is quite finished and not yet released.

#3590 1 year ago
Quoted from steve-o:

FS+…. Now that sounds very interesting.

"Beyond Future Spa" will have 3 full game modes. Like Eight Ball Plus I wanted to incorporate more of the playfield into the capture phase to connect playfield elements together. Game play is 95% written, working on sound effects now. I put up this video a while ago. Gives you only a flavour though, at that point only the original game rules plus a couple small new features had been added.

3 months later
#3644 9 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

Anyone have trouble with a Silverball Mania, Alltek MPU, and the RoyGBev Arduino board + Wav trigger board?
Where does the jumper go to - it shows in the docs that it goes to the top of R134 I believe, but that doesn't exist with my Alltek MPU.
Lights on the Arduino and WAV trigger board seem to indicate proper operation.
I can force it to boot to the Arduino, which does start the game from the Arduino, but coils don't work, doesn't recognize switches, etc...
No sounds. No sounds from WAV trigger board test either.
Have micro stereo plug to RCA cables to a small amp to a pair of nice (too big for cab) speakers.
I did follow along and write the sound files to the root of the micro SD card in the Wav trigger board, they seemed to play fine on my PC.
Bought the kit from Pinside, $169 I believe it was. Pre-done boards, connectors, the works.
TIA

With the Alltek MPU you do not need to connect the jumper wire, that lead goes to the Arduino conector. I would try booting it up without the WavTrigger.

#3647 9 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

Ok, unplug the serial connector, don't worry about the IRQ jumper, and set the "switch" jumper (2-pin) on so it boots to the Arduino?

Yes, you want it to boot to the Arduino. Did you program the Arduino or buy it as a kit pre-programmed? If it does boot, it does so in about 1 second compared to the original board booting in about 7 seconds. Assuming it boots, you can try going into diagnostic mode using the coin door switch.

#3650 9 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I have a Bally Rolling Stones. When playing the ball looks like it is strobing . Doesn’t matter if you flipper or the ball is just rolling around on the playfield. It is at the point that it makes you dizzy. I replaced the reflector board , led board, MPU , solenoid board. I tried warm white led and then I switched to cool white LED. I alway use the same leds and have them in all
My old Bally and sterns. What would cause this?

This is a weird problem. Do you think it is your GI lighting? The GI circuit provides the most lighting on the playfield. Any chance someone stuck a diode on the whole GI circuit and its only operating at 30 Hz instead of 60?

#3661 8 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I redid the crimps. What would make the 8000 insert stay lite all the time?

If it is a controlled lamp, the SCR that controls it can fail shorted. It is pretty common on an old original board. It is common to have to replace quite a few.

3 weeks later
#3689 8 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Does anyone have a size/part that'll work well for reattaching this guide to the side rail? I tried grabbing .15" x 1/2" spiral nails from Marco, but those are still too large. I haven't been able to find a specific answer anywhere, and given it's a full PF swap I'd like it to look as solid as possible.
Thanks all
[quoted image]

Is the nail just too long? I grind the length shorter and then put a fresh point on them when doing exactly what you are trying to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,995 (OBO)
$ 3.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club?tu=BJM-Maxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.