Topic Stats

• 1,747 posts
  • 253 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 200 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 329 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BP1 (resized).jpg
BP2 (resized).jpg
20191203_182921 (resized).jpg
20191129_212115_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_7281 (resized).jpg
84BB1575-BF56-472A-98C1-A9F99B8EAACF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191015_170203 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191015_061632 (resized).jpg
image-16 (resized).jpg
Missing Plastic (resized).jpg
C23_GroundModB.jpg
C26_GroundModB.jpg
5V_Mod_TP1_to_TP3.jpg
SDB_TP3.jpg
Screenshot_20190930-212734_Drive (resized).jpg
ECDB0EAA-8101-4BD2-A226-D23276F91568 (resized).jpeg

There are 1747 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 35.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Anyone know where I can get a replacement or a good sub for the DAC on a cheap squeak sound board. Part # is ZN429E-8. Thanks in advance.

I see them on eBay and Aliexpress.... might be sketchy.... the guy from Hong Kong on eBay is probably legit tho.

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I see them on eBay and Aliexpress.... might be sketchy.... the guy from Hong Kong on eBay is probably legit tho.

Thanks. I saw those. Chinese mfg. Not sure, but might have no choice.

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

A few days ago, a Black Pyramid kinda fell into my lap, as part of a package deal. I had never played the game before and didn't think much of it. This weekend, I cleaned and rubbered the thing. After that, some test games of course. Before I knew it, I was playing for 2 hours straight!
What a nice little title this is. Very back to basics in terms of layout, but with a tremendous just-one-more-game-vibe to it. I didn't expect to like a 1984 Bally-Midway title this much.

Well, Black Pyramid will be leaving my collection again pretty soon, as I don't have the room for an extra pin. In the mean time, I made a gameplay video for it. Hope you like it!

#304 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Well, Black Pyramid will be leaving my collection again pretty soon, as I don't have the room for an extra pin. In the mean time, I made a gameplay video for it. Hope you like it!
ยป YouTube video

Very well put together video. We have one at our local arcade and its a lot of fun. Underrated game for sure!

#305 3 years ago

Nice instructional video indeed....nice work!

#306 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Always nice to hear!

Subscribe to my Youtube-page if you like to get a notification of a new video. I don't post a lot of videos, but when I do, I put a lot of effort in.

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I created another diagnostic tool for Classic Bally/Stern games recently.. for testing solenoid driving circuitry on the Solenoid Driver Board. Some more info over at http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_sdb_tester.php

Thanks for the info, I didn't even know that site existed!

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Thanks for the info, I didn't even know that site existed!

Yeah that happens a lot..lol.

1 week later
#309 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

you can use a bit of wire if you don't have any zero ohm resistors. It is essentially just a little patch wire. Not sure why they are being used... it is a double sided board, might have been an after thought.... It is the "cheap" squeak.

Thanks barakandl! I replaced the tant caps and the zero resistors, tested my cheap squeak and she fired right up.

#310 3 years ago

Here's my next problem: Baby Pacman Vidiot board
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-vidiot-problem-6-flashes-unsovled-mysteries

I'm assuming I can buy cheap Chinese knock off MCM2114P20 ram chips to replace the ones at U13 and U14?????? I'm getting 6 flashes on the vidiot board...

#311 3 years ago

Just wanted to leave my experience here as a reminder to myself and others.

I had a M-200 that wasn't booting. I could trigger a boot by shorting U39-40 so I was sure it was the reset section. Problem was this board had a previous repair in this section (alkaline) and was seriously oxidized. The oxidations was so bad the solder wouldn't melt to clean up the board.

Here's what I ended up doing:
1. Bought a fiberglass pen amazon.com link »
2. Polished the solder mounds the best I could
3. Scrubbed this section of the board with an old scotch brite
4. Clipped the components off from the front and left as much lead as possible
5. Added flux to the solder pads
6. Using a hemostat to grip the lead I heated the pad and extracted the lead
7. I hard cases I added additional solder and used a solder sucker when it would take
8. With all the components removed I was able to clean with alcohol and the shine up the pads with the fiberglass pen

The new components went in fine and the board boots. I got my kit here: ebay.com link » Bally Pinball Mpu Corrosion Parts Repair Kit (make an offer like I did)

#312 3 years ago

Working on a Stern Nugent at the moment. Got it to boot w/an improper mpu. Have all displays working. I have proms on the way and will try to get a mpu I already have to work. Not sure what if any jumper mods will need to be done. Flippers need attention as well as the playfield. Hope to get it going soon. My 1st Stern machine.

#313 3 years ago

I've got a strikes and spares pin with the original boards. Is there a way to put it on free play and just hit the start button to get it going? Thanks for any info!

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

I've got a strikes and spares pin with the original boards. Is there a way to put it on free play and just hit the start button to get it going? Thanks for any info!

Three ways to do this:
1. Drill a hole in the cabinet or coin door and mount a switch and wire it to one of the coin switches.
2. Stack a switch on the credit button switch and wire it to a coin switch. Every time you start a game it will add a credit. I prefer this solution.
3. Set a replay score to 10,000. Not exactly free play, but it's the only way without actually modifying your game.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Free Play ROM
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#316 3 years ago

I installed some credit switch on stargazer, iron maiden and catacomb, no permanent modification, just a little bracket with a switch wire directly to the coin switch... you can do that on any bally also!

image_(resized).jpeg

#317 3 years ago

Thanks for all the information, guys!
I'm not eager to drill through the coin door at all, but will check into doing the stacked switch option when I get back home. Otherwise, I had forgotten about dropping the replay score down low to keep credits up on the game. By doing that, one would sure get to hear the knocker go off a lot more often!

#318 3 years ago

my dolly P had no coin mechs so I put a switch behind the coin eject.

#319 3 years ago

Sweet,I'll be needing help shortly with my ebd.

1 week later
#320 3 years ago

Is anybody into modifying the software of the classic Sterns? It would really make my day if Lightning would spit out the balls that fall into the lock holes during multiball instead of re-locking them. (And with that, ending the multiball rule. Playfield multipliers should in my opinion stay active, but the possibility to score them should end when returning to one ball play.)

It would be so cool to see these rules modified a bit... but that would probably be lots of work. Right?

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Is anybody into modifying the software of the classic Sterns? It would really make my day if Lightning would spit out the balls that fall into the lock holes during multiball instead of re-locking them. (And with that, ending the multiball rule. Playfield multipliers should in my opinion stay active, but the possibility to score them should end when returning to one ball play.)

Hi Jasper......you may ask Oliver Kaegi.....he made several mods for Bally roms and also for classic Stern, Star Gazer.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/

Nice website.....should be listed at your favorites

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Hi Jasper......you may ask Oliver Kaegi.....he made several mods for Bally roms and also for classic Stern, Star Gazer.
http://www.pinball4you.ch/
Nice website.....should be listed at your favorites

Thanks Marco! I actually asked Oliver about this in 2014. He told me that he hadn't worked with mpu200's in deep yet. Did he do Stargazer after 2014? Judging by his e-mail back then, I assume he is not planning on modding Lightning's software.

He did mention another name: Scott Charles. Haven't looked him up yet, though.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Thanks Marco! I actually asked Oliver about this in 2014. He told me that he hadn't worked with mpu200's in deep yet. Did he do Stargazer after 2014? Judging by his e-mail back then, I assume he is not planning on modding Lightning's software.
He did mention another name: Scott Charles. Haven't looked him up yet, though

Ha.....there is a mod for Star Gazer, Meteor and Galaxy; I always thought it was done by Oliver.....

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

1 month later
#324 3 years ago

So I was playing xenon and the ball got stuck in the saucer. I turned the game off and checked fuses. The fuse under the play field was blown. I replaced it and turned the game back on and now the right sling coil locks on. I tried replacing the diode, and still locked on. Replaced the whole coil with the same results. I'm lost a what to do now or what to check. Any suggestions?

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

So I was playing xenon and the ball got stuck in the saucer. I turned the game off and checked fuses. The fuse under the play field was blown. I replaced it and turned the game back on and now the right sling coil locks on. I tried replacing the diode, and still locked on. Replaced the whole coil with the same results. I'm lost a what to do now or what to check. Any suggestions?

Sounds like your driver board is having issues...

Start here too: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

1 week later
#326 3 years ago

Can anybody identify this hack to a Vector?
Thanks in advance,
Lee
VectorHack3_(resized).jpg

#327 3 years ago

Looks like they replaced the battery, but decided not to mount it to the board. I would look into NVRAM and get that battery outa here!

#328 3 years ago

Looks like the sockets were replaced when they did the service (2732s too!). NVRAM will be a simple swap

#329 3 years ago

hi all, have joined the club and have a stern nine ball im working on.. after popping the main cap on the solenoid board I checked all the wiring and all seems to be in the right spot.. I thought I would pull all the fuses on the rectifier board except mains fuse.. now one would think that test points should be 0v.. I have 44.5v on tp2 and 1.5v on tp3 (with no fuses installed except mains one)
question is.. can transformers be leaky between windings/circuits?

1 week later
#330 3 years ago

Picked up a Bobby Orr this weekend. It's a total mess but in decent condition!

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#331 3 years ago

That Power Play looks nice. Good luck. Great game...........

1 week later
#332 3 years ago

Anyone repairing solenoid driver boards?

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Anyone repairing solenoid driver boards?

barakandl

Just sold one he rebuilt recently.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-bally-driver-board

4 weeks later
#334 3 years ago

Posed this question in the SS tech forum with no luck so I thought I'd ask here.

I've noticed the GI bus on this era of games to be extremely susceptible to voltage drops when both flippers are flipped simultaneously. With incandescent bulbs this usually results in a slight momentary dimming, but with LED's it's a full off/on flicker. Not too noticeable in a well lit room, but as soon as the ambient lighting is dimmed the GI flicker is maddening.

Is anyone aware of a solution to this (ala LED OCD on modern games)?

#335 3 years ago

I have old Ballys with LEDs and have not experienced this. My machines either have Alltek lamp driver boards or the Siegecraft LED adapters for original lamp boards. That shouldn't affect the GI though. I'll look @mine the next time I play. Probably tonight........

#336 3 years ago

I've certainly seen the same thing. Was told one time it's normal.

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I have old Ballys with LEDs and have not experienced this. My machines either have Alltek lamp driver boards or the Siegecraft LED adapters for original lamp boards. That shouldn't affect the GI though. I'll look @mine the next time I play. Probably tonight........

My Xenon is full LED and I haven't experienced any problems either.

#338 3 years ago

I currently have EBD, Fathom, Elektra, Ali, and Harlem but I have owned a LOT of -17 and -35 games over the years. One of my favorite type of games and I'm certain I will always own a couple at any given time. If anyone has a specific game question, I would be glad to help troubleshoot or clarify rules.

#339 3 years ago

Does a rule sheet exist for Harlem Globetrotters or is everything on the rule card?

Eric

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Does a rule sheet exist for Harlem Globetrotters or is everything on the rule card?
Eric

Not entirely certain. A lot of Bally rules can be adjusted.

Specific to Harlem, the top saucer shot can be set to "a random strobe" or "move one step forward".

Most points on Harlem are clearly marked on the play field.

The center spinners have a setting of either alternating (with slings and pops) to increase bonus or BOTH are always lit to increase bonus.

Collecting all the orange stand-ups on the left lights extra ball, collected with the single right standup.

The right in-line drops increase the left spinner value one increment for each dropped and also spot a Harlem letter.
The first in-line standup does not multiply bonus, but the rest in that line do. The first shot to the "open" right saucer collects 25,000 and the SECOND adds a credit. I believe that each subsequent shot to that saucer is worth 25,000.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Not entirely certain. A lot of Bally rules can be adjusted.
Specific to Harlem, the top saucer shot can be set to "a random strobe" or "move one step forward".
Most points on Harlem are clearly marked on the play field.
The center spinners have a setting of either alternating (with slings and pops) to increase bonus or BOTH are always lit to increase bonus.
Collecting all the orange stand-ups on the left lights extra ball, collected with the single right standup.
The right in-line drops increase the left spinner value one increment for each dropped and also spot a Harlem letter.
The first in-line standup does not multiply bonus, but the rest in that line do. The first shot to the "open" right saucer collects 25,000 and the SECOND adds a credit. I believe that each subsequent shot to that saucer is worth 25,000.

Seems like the only thing you missed is that the right stand up target also opens the gate on the right side.

#342 3 years ago

Thank you for the specifics. I'll check my settings.

#343 3 years ago

I just picked up my first two AS-2518 games and have a few noob questions. I've always had NIB till now, so I'm new to restoring/fixing older games.

1. Is the battery soldered on? Or does it just seem that way from the leakage, corrosion?

2. Does it require a battery to run? Or, can I take it out for now and just not worry about saving scores and such?

I ask because I have a Xenon that the last owner says worked fine, but hadn't turned it on in a while, and now it doesn't start up. I can see the battery is old and a little leaky.

#344 3 years ago

The battery is soldered on and should be cut off immediately. It's not required to run the game, but leaky batteries will ruin it.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#345 3 years ago

Agreed, battery is not required, but you'll want memory retention for some of the game features. Just choose something other than battery backup, like NVRAM or memory cap.

#346 3 years ago

I'm very happy with the nvram I put on my games.

#348 3 years ago

A few pics of my SBM playfield. Can I get rid of that black swirly cloud looking stuff? Not sure whether to try and restore it at all, or just try and stop the wear and tear. Any thoughts?

SMB_playfield_(resized).JPG

SBM_close_up_playfield_wear_(resized).JPG

#349 3 years ago

That's ball swirl and unless you're going to clear coat it, you aren't going to be able to get rid of it.

#350 3 years ago

Doesn't look too bad. Be really careful if you decide to clean/touch up. Nice one! I was 14 when this machine was new.The local Alladin's Castle had one. Very cool art work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
There are 1747 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside