Schematic Bobby Orr.JPG
Schematic Bobby Orr.JPG
Schematic Bobby Orr.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_3893.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3889.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3894.jpg
20210426_154255 (resized).jpg
20210426_154234 (resized).jpg

There are 2582 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 52.
#2551 35 days ago

I think you're going to need a new saucer hole kicker bracket.

#2552 35 days ago

They seem unobtanium. Do you by chance know where they might be in stock or is it pretty much find somebody parting out or that has one laying around in a bin?

#2553 35 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

They seem unobtanium. Do you by chance know where they might be in stock or is it pretty much find somebody parting out or that has one laying around in a bin?

I had a machine shop make the part in the middle... Spot weld the missing part...
Note:
Des-assembled the part first... made a pattern of the broken part out of a chip board cereal box...
Then found a sheet metal shop that could cut and bend the shape of the part...
Spot weld, paint, reassemble, ready to go and back in business.

2 weeks later
#2554 19 days ago

Well my day just went to hell in a basket.

Edit: Disregard post, unless you want some entertainment. I have no idea what happened, I really don't.

Going through no led troubleshooting I noted that TP2 had no voltage (expected 12V) found broken wire at stupid IDC connector.

Repaired wire and everything works perfect now, I'm at a loss but happier.

Display works fine as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm starting to reassemble my Flash Gordon after doing a cabinet refurbishment. I very carefully plugged everything back in making sure no connectors were swapped, grounds hooked up, etc. And then checked them again. And for good measure disconnected the two connectors at the solenoid board J2 and J5.

So I powered up the machine...

1) The MPU led locked on and stayed on. On the credit display there was a "0"

Shutting the machine down I checked all connections again and powered back up again. Pulled all connections off lamp driver board except J4 and unplugged the switch lines on MPU

Now the MPU is stone dead.

Decided to check for 5 volts at TP5 on the MPU, HOLY COW 50 VOLTS.

Shut machine back off, unplugged the J4 connector on the lamp driver board and the connector on the sound board.

Now I have 5 volts on TP5.

If I plug the J4 back on the lamp driver board and power up I have 50 volts again on MPU TP5.

I unplug the connectors on the power board in the lower cabinet and examine them one at a time, I see nothing amiss. I check ALL the connectors again, everything is plugged in where it should be.

I power up and check TP5 again, 5VDC. I plug the J4 connector back in the lamp driver board, now it shows 5VDC.

What the hell happened? I swear the meter was showing 50 volts DC on TP5.

Ground is good, TP3 is showing 21 volts as it should and TP5 now showing 5V.

The only other thing I see that is odd, one of the displays is not glowing and the other four are. All of them were working perfect before taking the machine apart. I have it unplugged for now just to be on the safe side. Moving displays the problem follows the single display. I looked close at the display connector and pins and all looks fine.

Edited: Sound board passes LED test and when you hit self test button it goes through its paces. Whew!

#2555 19 days ago

I'm in. Hopefully i can add some type of value to this group as I have a decent sized pile of these games.

RB

#2556 18 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Well my day just went to hell in a basket.
Edit: Disregard post, unless you want some entertainment. I have no idea what happened, I really don't.
Going through no led troubleshooting I noted that TP2 had no voltage (expected 12V) found broken wire at stupid IDC connector.
Repaired wire and everything works perfect now, I'm at a loss but happier.
Display works fine as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm starting to reassemble my Flash Gordon after doing a cabinet refurbishment. I very carefully plugged everything back in making sure no connectors were swapped, grounds hooked up, etc. And then checked them again. And for good measure disconnected the two connectors at the solenoid board J2 and J5.
So I powered up the machine...
1) The MPU led locked on and stayed on. On the credit display there was a "0"
Shutting the machine down I checked all connections again and powered back up again. Pulled all connections off lamp driver board except J4 and unplugged the switch lines on MPU
Now the MPU is stone dead.
Decided to check for 5 volts at TP5 on the MPU, HOLY COW 50 VOLTS.
Shut machine back off, unplugged the J4 connector on the lamp driver board and the connector on the sound board.
Now I have 5 volts on TP5.
If I plug the J4 back on the lamp driver board and power up I have 50 volts again on MPU TP5.
I unplug the connectors on the power board in the lower cabinet and examine them one at a time, I see nothing amiss. I check ALL the connectors again, everything is plugged in where it should be.
I power up and check TP5 again, 5VDC. I plug the J4 connector back in the lamp driver board, now it shows 5VDC.
What the hell happened? I swear the meter was showing 50 volts DC on TP5.
Ground is good, TP3 is showing 21 volts as it should and TP5 now showing 5V.
The only other thing I see that is odd, one of the displays is not glowing and the other four are. All of them were working perfect before taking the machine apart. I have it unplugged for now just to be on the safe side. Moving displays the problem follows the single display. I looked close at the display connector and pins and all looks fine.
Edited: Sound board passes LED test and when you hit self test button it goes through its paces. Whew!

So did the MPU get destroyed ? I would be amazed if it survived. Make sure the meter battery is good. I've seen low batteries in the meter cause incorrect readings.

#2557 17 days ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

So did the MPU get destroyed ? I would be amazed if it survived. Make sure the meter battery is good. I've seen low batteries in the meter cause incorrect readings.

Nope. Only thing we can think of is the autoranging on the meter got wonky.

Everything works fine after the 12V was fixed.

20210420_153010_1.gif
#2558 12 days ago

Anyone know what the part number is for Bally playfield hangers for Flash Gordon? I'm assuming games like Vector, Xenon and Elektra are the same as they have the lower shooter rod location. I can't seem to find the part number in the online catalogs and I'm looking for something comparable.

hanger (resized).JPG
#2559 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone know what the part number is for Bally playfield hangers for Flash Gordon? I'm assuming games like Vector, Xenon and Elektra are the same as they have the lower shooter rod location. I can't seem to find the part number in the online catalogs and I'm looking for something comparable.
[quoted image]

Need to fabricate... Thin bar stock.

#2560 12 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Need to fabricate... Thin bar stock.

I considered it and may do so yet. I'm still in parts collecting phase so have time.

#2561 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I considered it and may do so yet. I'm still in parts collecting phase so have time.

Mantis offers it for sale. I think it’s the same size.

https://mantispinball.com/product/bally-playfield-hangers-older-bally/

#2562 12 days ago

They are unique, different from other Ballys due to dropped playfield. I'll measure after work today.

#2563 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They are unique, different from other Ballys due to dropped playfield. I'll measure after work today.

I would inquire... the dropped playfields are deferent length. I think it is going to be a special order.

#2564 12 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I would inquire... the dropped playfields are deferent length. I think it is going to be a special order.

I did, they don't make them.

I'm actually looking at adding a metal brake to my workshop, why not?

#2565 12 days ago

Difference between standard playfield (Space Invaders) and Flash Gordon.

20210426_154214 (resized).jpg20210426_154234 (resized).jpg20210426_154255 (resized).jpg
#2566 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ah, my bad. Good luck finding what you need!

#2567 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Difference between standard playfield (Space Invaders) and Flash Gordon.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had a machinist make some parts for me and made the round bends more rounded
so the stresses wound be reduced, and not let the parts break at the bend points.

#2568 12 days ago

I think my Elektra also uses the taller ones.

#2569 12 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I think my Elektra also uses the taller ones.

Flash Gordon, Vector, Xenon and Elektra should all have the tall brackets.

#2570 11 days ago

I had a conversation with Mantis Pinball about some parts that they don't stock and they seemed pretty open to taking measurements and adding to the inventory for others.

I'd suggest getting in touch: it might not help you out right away but will do lots for others in the future.

#2571 11 days ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I had a conversation with Mantis Pinball about some parts that they don't stock and they seemed pretty open to taking measurements and adding to the inventory for others.
I'd suggest getting in touch: it might not help you out right away but will do lots for others in the future.

I already have and we are talking, its a possibility. Would just have to send them the part, measurements are not good enough.

#2572 10 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I already have and we are talking, its a possibility. Would just have to send them the part, measurements are not good enough.

I would make a masking tape pattern from both sides.

#2573 4 days ago

If any of you are doing custom MPU work I recently made up a new prototype board in the early Bally/Stern MPU form factor. I primarily made them to help make custom test boards and fixtures but it would also be useful if someone wants to prototype their own MPU for these. I have more info and pictures on this thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-prototype-board-for-early-bally-and-stern-machines-proto-35#post-6260870

I'm really happy with the way they turned out. While I don't have a lot on hand I can get more if anyone else needs something like this.

Robert

#2574 2 days ago

I'm in the process of repairing a Bobby Orr Power Play. The game plays but a few coils don't work. The coils that are used on the big save post between the flippers are really burnt and locked up. They've also been disconnected at some point. I assume it kept blowing the fuse so someone just disconnected them. (see burnt coil pic)

I've found a replacement for the large coil, but the smaller coil on that assembly is so burnt I can't see the part number. I have a bunch of spare coils that came out of a RoGo cabinet that I think might work. Can anyone confirm these part numbers from RoGo will work with Bobby Orr?

One of the chime coils is burnt and disconnected as well. Will a chime coil out of a RoGo work with Bobby Orr chimes?

thumbnail_IMG_3889.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3893.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3894.jpg
#2575 2 days ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I've found a replacement for the large coil, but the smaller coil on that assembly is so burnt I can't see the part number. I have a bunch of spare coils that came out of a RoGo cabinet that I think might work.

GA-31-2000, listed in your manual. If you have a 31-2000 from your RoGo you add a diode to it and use it assuming you can move the activation plate over.

Same with the chimes, CN-31-2000, add diode. No diode will blow your (probably already blown) driver transistors.

No manual, download from ipdb.

#2576 2 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

GA-31-2000, listed in your manual. If you have a 31-2000 from your RoGo you add a diode to it and use it assuming you can move the activation plate over.
Same with the chimes, CN-31-2000, add diode. No diode will blow your (probably already blown) driver transistors.
No manual, download from ipdb.

Ahhh, so the only difference is the diode. Are the diodes part# 1N4004? The game is at a friends house so I don't have access to it at the moment. I'm just trying to get everything I need before going back over there for the repair.

I have the schematics but admittedly am not great at reading them. If the corresponding 3 transistors are blown, would they be Q8 for the Down Post, Q17 for the Up Post and Q6 for the Chime 1000?

Schematic Bobby Orr.png
#2577 2 days ago

Yes, 1n4004. the transistors are as you marked, you can replace them with tip102's. Sometimes the diodes and resistor and predriver array are burnt out as well, the predriver is 3081 (obsolete) so hopefully not that! If you have a spare solenoid driver board that's the easiest way to test.

#2578 2 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, 1n4004. the transistors are as you marked, you can replace them with tip102's. Sometimes the diodes and resistor and predriver array are burnt out as well, the predriver is 3081 (obsolete) so hopefully not that! If you have a spare solenoid driver board that's the easiest way to test.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare driver board. I'll start by replacing the coils and diodes then test. If they still don't work I'll replace the 3 transistors. If that doesn't do the trick then I guess I'll have to track down a used driver board or maybe an Alltek.

Thanks for the help!!

#2579 2 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

the predriver is 3081 (obsolete)

These are available on eBay. I bought some in the past. Not sure if they're counterfeit, but they worked.

#2580 1 day ago

Should I start ramping up the replacements I’ve been doing for 3081’s? They aren’t cheap but they work great when I’ve tried them

#2581 22 hours ago

Anyone have a picture of this connector on Paragon. I was trying to repin it, but got confused on the location of a wire. It's J3 on the driver board thanks.

20210507_192235 (resized).jpg20210507_192247 (resized).jpg
#2582 20 hours ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Anyone have a picture of this connector on Paragon. I was trying to repin it, but got confused on the location of a wire. It's J3 on the driver board thanks.[quoted image][quoted image]

Here’s J3 and wire color key.

85127973-D10E-4BFA-BDCC-EEC9FD444C2C (resized).png90EE67CE-6632-4AC3-BB11-13C1B18CCA1F (resized).png
There are 2582 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 52.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside