Topic Stats

• 1,454 posts
  • 226 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 182 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 277 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0987 (resized).JPG
IMG_0984 (resized).JPG
ngs panel (resized).jpg
ngs panel 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
Backside_circle (resized).jpg
20181203_213318 (resized).jpg
20181205_211508 (resized).jpg
20181203_185118 (resized).jpg
20181207_182513 (resized).jpg
20181206_184008 (resized).jpg
IMG_1756 (resized).JPG
IMG_1754 (resized).JPG
20181120_203906 (resized).jpg
20181120_203853 (resized).jpg

There are 1454 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 30.
#151 4 years ago

I'm in! Bally -2518 games are some of my absolute favorites. I have an Eight Ball Deluxe LE, Centaur, Embryon, project Elektra, and soon-to-be-playable Future Spa. The first 3 are long-term keepers, and I haven't really gotten to play the other two yet.

I really enjoy working on this hardware; the fact that Barakandl is practically my neighbor doesn't hurt.

#152 4 years ago

By far my favorite era: Classic SS.

Currently have Paragon, Elektra, and a Space Invaders Sample game (working project). Paragon was my first major touchup attempt, and while there are quite a few mistakes, I'm pretty happy with the end result.

image-277.jpg

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

By far my favorite era: Classic SS.
Currently have Paragon, Elektra, and a Space Invaders Sample game (working project). Paragon was my first major touchup attempt, and while there are quite a few mistakes, I'm pretty happy with the end result.

image-277.jpg 320 KB

Wow, you did that yourself as your first attempt? You've got some talent! Very well done.

#154 4 years ago

Older Williams flippers are like that.

#155 4 years ago

What is the best way to put the Stern Seawitch PF back in place, after having it vertical leaning up against the backbox?

I find that it's a real chore trying to wedge it back and forth to coax it back up onto that metal bracket. It must be hell on the rear of the PF, the plastics, and not to mention scraping up the sides of the inner cab.

-mof

#156 4 years ago

I downloaded the manual for Seawitch, and I'm struggling with finding a good parts list.

Any suggestions?

-mof

1 week later
#157 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I downloaded the manual for Seawitch, and I'm struggling with finding a good parts list.
Any suggestions?
-mof

The only thing I have been able to find for Stern Parts are buying the catalogs online:

http://arcadecollectibles.net/shop/stern-parts-catalog

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The only thing I have been able to find for Stern Parts are buying the catalogs online:
http://arcadecollectibles.net/shop/stern-parts-catalog

Thanks, I bought one from PBR for $20. It only has a few pages for pinball, but they look useful.
-mof

#159 4 years ago

I've been wondering how much Bally/Stern parts are interchangable - I know the boards are identical, but what about the pops, flippers, and slings mechs, for example? I too have been eyeing that Stern parts catalog, but it's hard to pay that much for info you're used to getting for free for other machines.

Marco has spoiled me on my other machines, it seems like little is linked to Seawitch and other classic Sterns in terms of these sorts of parts, even though I know that some common ones must be compatible.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

but it's hard to pay that much for info you're used to getting for free for other machines.
blockquote>

haha. I completely agree.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I've been wondering how much Bally/Stern parts are interchangable - I know the boards are identical, but what about the pops, flippers, and slings mechs, for example? I too have been eyeing that Stern parts catalog, but it's hard to pay that much for info you're used to getting for free for other machines.
Marco has spoiled me on my other machines, it seems like little is linked to Seawitch and other classic Sterns in terms of these sorts of parts, even though I know that some common ones must be compatible.

I think you will find that the sound boards are completely different. Also, surprisingly little is compatible on the mechanical side. Just off the top of my head--drop target assemblies, drop targets, pop bumpers, lockdown receiver, lockdown bar, backglass locking mech, flippers, spinner switches, sling kickers--most are much different than their Bally counterparts. Even the plastic posts and the hardware used to hold the posts in place are different--not too many t-nuts on classic Stern. Most of the coils are common, though Stern used more variety with their flipper coils than Bally did. Lamp sockets look similar, same lousy performance as Bally. Pick up a few parts playfields to fill in the items that aren't carried by Pinball Resource or other suppliers.

3 weeks later
#162 4 years ago

Joining the club with my Baby Pacman and newly acquired Bally Vector. Vector is not working at the moment - getting the wrong voltages out of the rectifier board. I'm rebuilding that this weekend, and will report back with progress!

#163 4 years ago

Looking for help to create an index of all Bally/Stern games with evil pops -- any help appreciated...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/most-evil-pop-pen
Do you know of any Bally/Stern games with pops with direct line of sight to a drain?
-mof

1 month later
#164 4 years ago

I'm in! I'm new to collecting pins and have quickly grown my collection to include Lost World, Paragon, Viking and Medusa. I love this era of Bally games! I'm now after Fathom, Centaur and a few others from the era. I've actually learned a ton and have got my soldering back up to speed with replacing header pins, soldering cracked joints, replacing coils, and replacing lamp driver SCRs on most of my games. However, this past weekend with Viking, after getting all feature lamps working, I discovered that the 10x drop target lamp was lighting during the display test, as well as the right ramp arrow. The 10x light was acting more like it was part of the test, so I replaced the SCR and neither lamp now light during the display test.

BUT the other strange issue I'm having with this game (Alltek MPU - other boards are original) is that the 10x lamp is lighting at game startup and goes out when one of the three drop targets are hit. However, my understanding is that the lamp should only light when the drop targets are hit in 1-2-3 order. Where can I trace this kind of problem? It almost seems like something is reversed, but not sure what to check. Could the Alltek MPU be causing this behavior?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ryan

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

I'm in! I'm new to collecting pins and have quickly grown my collection to include Lost World, Paragon, Viking and Medusa. I love this era of Bally games! I'm now after Fathom, Centaur and a few others from the era.

Don't forget EBD! Embryon is awesome too. that is my favorite Bally widebody.

#166 4 years ago

I have an Eight Ball and a Future Spa at the moment. Does a TV stand made from a toofargone Paragon count for anything?

I'm pretty sure that Lightning came home with a Bally driver board or two and Hot Hand still has the p.o.'s Bally power supply in it. Any partial credit there?

Not much love in here for the AS-2518-133 and -147 boards. Maybe I'll leave Big Bat out in the garage and be quiet about it.

I would gladly punt the Pepsi machine out of it's corner in the playroom to make room for a Midnight Marauders. Blasting spacy invaders with a -133 mpu powered rifle sounds like a big box of awesome.

1 month later
#168 3 years ago

Joined the club a little while ago. Harlem GT w Mylar field and good solid player. Love this game, was my first buy.

Skateball w re-con boards and a trashed PF. It's this winters project.

#169 3 years ago

My favorite era of pins as well! I have:

Eight Ball - excellent PF, cab restore in queue
Kings of Steel - solid player
Supersonic (in reassembly following a cabinet transplant and PF resto)
Picking up a Xenon this weekend - will need full resto

I hope that grants admittance to the club!

-scott

2 weeks later
#170 3 years ago

I've been working on my Flash Gordon and Eight Ball Deluxe.

#171 3 years ago

In the club, with the one game from this era that I really don't see mentioned much: Fireball II. I've got a nice 100% working game coming, and the best part is that this playfield came with it. Can't wait to do this swap, it'll be my first.

IMG_1477.jpg
#172 3 years ago

Just picked up a Mr & Mrs Pacman recently, Serious Battery rot. but I got it booting with a Alltek board, thought it would be a stinker pin, but not so bad. Has full mylar on the PF which is bubbling pretty bad, anyone have experience removing mylar on this vintage? looks like it will come right up
with some heat.

#173 3 years ago

What replacement battery would you recommend for the Flash Gordon, and Eight Ball Deluxe?

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

In the club, with the one game from this era that I really don't see mentioned much: Fireball II. I've got a nice 100% working game coming, and the best part is that this playfield came with it. Can't wait to do this swap, it'll be my first.

IMG_1477.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That looks familiar

#175 3 years ago

Battery replacement...

I used this on my 8BDLX:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=165

The 1st one, at the top of the page.

#176 3 years ago

I just added my third -2518, a Mata Hari. I ordered a CPR playfield for it, because I'm pretty sure it'll be a keeper, along with Fathom and Embryon. But for now, I'm just going to play the hell out of it. I'll always be grateful to Mata Hari for a magic 3rd ball that helped me win the Georgia Pinball Classic, and $600. I've always told my wife that $600 was reserved for Mata Hari, if I found one near that price.

#177 3 years ago

I didn't know playfields for Mata Hari were still available?

#178 3 years ago

<deleted>

#180 3 years ago

Thanks swampfire

Hopefully these will still be available after I buy the playfields for TAF and FT

#181 3 years ago

I'm recently back in the club. In the past month or so I have added a Paragon, Embryon and Space Invaders. Paragon and Space Invaders are fully shopped out and playable. The Embryon needed MPU board work so I shopped it out, but won't be able to plat it until my board comes back.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3201.JPG IMG_2440.JPG
#182 3 years ago

Looking for some experts to assist me with an issue on my Embryon. The game works perfectly now that I have an Alltek board on loan until mine is repaired. My issue is that on ball 1, I plunge the ball and as soon as it hits a stand up target (not the rollovers), the SHOOT AGAIN light comes on and stays lit until ball 1 drains and then it goes off, but does award me another ball.

It's acting like a ball save that stays on forever or I'm earning an extra ball for no reason, but only does it for ball 1 only. Anyone else ever see this?

Thanks,

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#183 3 years ago

I got it fixed. Just a replay/xball setting I didn't understand.

Thanks

#185 3 years ago

I'll certainly be looking for some expert advice from y'all in getting this Nine Ball up and running again.
-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-nine-ball-mof-20150405

#186 3 years ago

I was lucky enough to pick these up today! Thanks NorCal!!!

image.jpg

Does anyone have a used Medusa pop bumper cap I can have/buy? I don't want to buy the whole set.

image.jpg

Thanks,

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#187 3 years ago

I like classic Bally machines a lot. I hope to still track down a Fathom at some point. May be the next game I buy if people convince me to sell some more pins.

I currently have:
Elektra
Mr/Ms Pac-Man
Harlem Globetrotters

Had:
Eight Ball x2
Centaur
Bullseye 301
Fireball Classic
Silverball Mania
Kings of Steel
Xenon
Dolly Parton

#189 3 years ago

I don't think I've joined this club yet.

I currently have:
Evel Knieval (have CPR playfield and plastics for it)
Mata Hari
Paragon (very nice spare pf, but may get CPR, have CPR plastics signed by Paul)
EBD (have IPB plastics, need playfield!!!)
Centaur (have CPR plastics, decent pf)
Xenon (CPR Gold edition playfield and plastics, Comet LEDs)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-with-comet-leds-and-custom-upgrades

Had:
Vector
Paragon
Xenon
Flash Gordon
Silverball Mania
Spectrum
Star Trek

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I don't think I've joined this club yet.
I currently have:
Evel Knieval (have CPR playfield and plastics for it)
Mata Hari
Paragon (very nice spare pf, but may get CPR, have CPR plastics signed by Paul)
EBD (have IPB plastics, need playfield!!!)
Centaur (have CPR plastics, decent pf)
Xenon (CPR Gold edition playfield and plastics, Comet LEDs)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-with-comet-leds-and-custom-upgrades
Had:
Vector
Paragon
Xenon
Flash Gordon
Silverball Mania
Spectrum
Star Trek

I'm thinking of renaming the club to bally/stern as-2518 to make it more clear that classic sterns and their owners are people too!
-mof

#191 3 years ago

Fixed.
Welcome to the Bally/Stern club.
If someone wants to link all the relevant Sterns up top, feel free!
-mof

#192 3 years ago

I own a Stern Stars and need to replace my rectifier board. Any recommendations on replacement boards would be appreciated.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I own a Stern Stars and need to replace my rectifier board. Any recommendations on replacement boards would be appreciated.

There are several on the market.
It depends on how you want to connect your wires to the rectifier board.

1. GPE has a solder in option (like the original) https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105

2. I went with a molex-in option, so that I could remove it without removing the transformer.

For my next one, I think I'll go with the solder-in option, since it's rather easy to remove the transformer if you need the rectifier board out.

-mof

#194 3 years ago

I'm in! I picked up a Stern Seawitch a few weeks ago. Just getting started with the restoration process. It's a bit overwhelming for a first timer, but looking forward to it!

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm in! I picked up a Stern Seawitch a few weeks ago. Just getting started with the restoration process. It's a bit overwhelming for a first timer, but looking forward to it!

I got a beater Seawitch working with a few hiccups along the way here: (if anything helps)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-seawitch-mof-20141015#post-1967441
-mof

#196 3 years ago

I already had your thread bookmarked If I have questions down the road I'll keep you in mind

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Fixed.
Welcome to the Bally/Stern club.
If someone wants to link all the relevant Sterns up top, feel free!
-mof

You just made this the most awesome thread on Pinside.

I'm in with:

Fathom (very nice, original)
Embryon (nearly perfect)
Lightning
Mata Hari (project, just needs a CPR playfield swap)
Magic (project)
Trident (project)
Paragon (picking up in a few weeks)

Every pin an LE, every man a king.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

There are several on the market.
It depends on how you want to connect your wires to the rectifier board.
1. GPE has a solder in option (like the original) https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105
2. I went with a molex-in option, so that I could remove it without removing the transformer.
For my next one, I think I'll go with the solder-in option, since it's rather easy to remove the transformer if you need the rectifier board out.
-mof

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the one from GPE

It will be replacing this..image.jpg

#199 3 years ago

Classic Sterns I have:

Catacomb
Quicksilver (pf retouched and cleared by Classic_Stern)
Flight 2000
Meteor
Seawitch (soon to have Greatwich pf)
Nine Ball
Freefall
Star Gazer (soon to have Greatwich pf)
Lightning populated pf and bg (need cabinet)

Had:
Trident
Orbitor 1

#200 3 years ago

Maybe we should call this the Alltek Club.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lake Stevens, WA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 157.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 139.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Liberty Lake, WA
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1454 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 30.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside