(Topic ID: 326970)

Bally AS-2518-54 (Can I ground LEDs on a return line?)

By Goonie

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221204_103721 (resized).jpg
20221205_162201 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi.

So, I am playing around with a Bally X's & O's, which has an AS-2518-54 in the bottom of the cab. I've installed flipper button LEDs, and was planning on dropping in a separate power supply off the main switch. However, the board has 14vdc being fed to J3-10 for the 5v regulator input. I'm guessing that I can tap into this for the the 12v I need, but I need a return. It works fine if I just ground it - assuming of course that the LEDs have a tolerance high enough to take 14vdc, instead of 12 (we'll see!) Anyway, my thought was to take the spare return/ground that's on J1 (Playfield), but it would be nice to keep it all on J3. Is there a reason I can't wire the LED return to say J3-5 (5v Regulator Return)? All the returns seem to terminate to the same ground plain, but this is where my knowledge of electronics reaches a bit, so I thought I would query the group.

Thanks.

20221204_103721 (resized).jpg20221204_103721 (resized).jpg20221205_162201 (resized).jpg20221205_162201 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Might I suggest just tapping into the G.I. wires running to the coin door to light your flipper button LEDs instead?

The 12-14V wires ultimately provide power to the backbox circuit boards and best keep them separate from anything that could cause issues like noise induction or other from cabling, etc.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Might I suggest just tapping into the G.I. wires running to the coin door to light your flipper button LEDs instead?
The 12-14V wires ultimately provide power to the backbox circuit boards and best keep them separate from anything that could cause issues like noise induction or other from cabling, etc.

Hi.

Hmmm, maybe. I didn't think there was 12v going to the door, but I'll check. Agree with keeping things separate. I was hoping that given the minimal amount of LEDs we're talking about, and the low draw, I'd be okay.

#4 1 year ago

no 12v at the door

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Goonie:

I didn't think there was 12v going to the door

Is there a reason you don't want to use 6V pinball LEDs, just like the rest of the game uses?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Is there a reason you don't want to use 6V pinball LEDs, just like the rest of the game uses?

Yes. What I installed was the BriteMods buttons, which are 12v. Given how these buttons are installed in the cab, I don't think I can effectively back-light these with 6v LEDs. That, and the BriteMods are much...brighter.

https://www.pinballlife.com/britemods-store.html

#7 1 year ago

Most LED flipper button kits are designed to tap into the GI wires. I would excursive caution with using the 12v circuit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-54-can-i-ground-leds-on-a-return-line and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.