(Topic ID: 242297)

Bally AS-2518-51 Sound Board Strangeness..

By Coyote

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys -
Need a second opinoin on this, as I lost half of my hair out while trying to debug this board and getting mixed results.

Summary of everything done:
It's from a Bally Nitro Ground Shaker. Issue was reported as the sound 'suddenly dropping out'.
Owner did a cap kit.
Amp is good, as when powered up, you can hear a soft hum, and sot crackle as you adjust volume.
TP4 matches what schematics state - 0VDC w no sound, ~2.5VDC with.
TP6 has between 2.5 and 3.0 VDC, 0 VAC regardless of whether sound is playing or not.
TP5 has 0VDC with one CPU chip (original), and with replacement shows 2.5VDC.
Tried four different LY-3-8910 and replacement chips. (1 8910, 3 YM2149F which is a drop-in on this board, since pin 26 is floating)
U8 (LM3900) was replaced.
C3, C2 replaced. Old C2, C3 and U8 had pin U8p3 floating. Afterwards, I cannot remember if I was getting a high or low reading.
U10 (RAM) reported as bad with a memory tester. Replaced with known good working 6810. No change.
On U1, DA0 - DA7 lines, according to logic probe, are always low.
On U1, lines coming from MPU *do* pulse.
On U3 and U2, R/W line is always high. (Read). Logic probe never reports it going low.
U2 (PIA 6820) was replaced with two known working ones. No change.
U3 (CPU) Address lines do pulse.

What am I missing? With TP6 never having AC voltage on it, it tells me it's the General Instruments / Yamaha chip. But 4 of them giving the same issue? .. Hard to believe. With it's data lines stuck low - that points to the PIA. But that has been replaced and same issue. And even WITH that, the VMA line does alter depending on whether the game is playing music or not.

Next steps are appreciated. I'm.. stumped, and feel like it's an idiot thing I'm missing.

3 weeks later
#3 4 years ago

Nope, not yet. (I also haven't been able to poke at it yet, as I've had family in town.) I'll be revisiting it, likely this coming weekend.

1 year later
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovetoplaypinbal:

Have you ever resolved this issue. I am having very similar issue on my Bally Gold Ball I just can't get background sounds anymore.

AH! Yes!

I forgot I started this thread.

I borrowed a local's sound board, and turned out it was cold solder joint on the header - the best I can figure is that heat (after being turned on for a little while) was causing the connection to fail, and that is what caused it to just stop outputting sound.

Reflowed all the headers, and I hadn't heard back from the guy since then, so I'm assuming it was good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-51-sound-board-strangeness?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.