8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've tried a search but couldn't find anything covering this specific issue and wanted to check if this was a known problem with a known solution before I go crazy trying to troubleshoot it and order parts I may not need.

This skateball will only play some game sounds (background sound, bumpers and most rollover switches work), while others (drop targets, bonus countdown and maybe some others) make a barely audible chirp or no sound at all. Sounds that can be heard are clean and clear—no distortion or unwanted effects. I've reseated all the socketed chips and touched up the header pins. I do have a 4700uf cap that is vastly out of spec (tested with my LCR meter) but still seems to be functioning. All other caps measure close enough and if I understand correctly, are only relevant to the audio amplification portion of the board, which I don't seem to be having any trouble with. TIA for any help!

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply... I've compared with a couple gameplay vids on youtube already so I'm sure they're missing. The most obvious one is bonus count and drops. I have the game set to 03 also. I had a friend burn a new sound ROM for it so we'll see if that does anything. Otherwise I guess I'll be getting out the meter/probe to see if I can sort anything out.

#4 8 years ago

Updating in case anyone searches this...

The problem was easily spotted with the logic probe. It was the 4049 hex inverter (U5) that's after the solenoid address inputs from the MPU. And man, this game has the coolest sounds when it's all working!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-51-skateball-some-sounds-not-working?tu=jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.