(Topic ID: 325933)

Bally AS-2518-32 Sound Module Programming Help?

By DickHamill

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I'm working on programming a Supersonic, and every time I fire off one of the solenoids, the machine also plays a tone on the -32 sound module.

From memory there's something in the code to stop sounds when firing a momentary coil. Actually it's not 100% perfect because on odd occasions my games will play a spurious tone when activating a solenoid - usually a drop target reset.

Communications of the -32/-50 sound board and -51 sound board are totally different.
The -51 sound board has its own processor. It receives a sound command from the MPU board and does the rest.
The processor for the -32/-50 sound board is actually the main MPU boards CPU - i.e. it's burdened with the task of controlling the sound board. Data sent to the sound board selects what tone (frequency) to play. Game code has tables for the sounds and how long they play. There are about 30 selectable audible tones.

I have to look up my notes if you want more details but I've got to head off for the day.
Maybe others can chime in

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Looking at the schematic, I can't see how the 4042 gets latched without any change from the Solenoid/Sound Select line. Even if I don't pulse that line, I get sounds...

Download the datasheet for the 4042 and look at the truth table

There might be some useful info in the thread more so as it progressed.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-generating-extra-tone-sequences

Quoted from DickHamill:

I found out that on my particular Supersonic (or my particular -32 sound card) makes noise whenever any solenoid is fired, and they're the same beeps that it makes with my new code.

No tones should play when solenoids are being activated. The pin headers on these sound boards commonly crack, might want to take a close look. May be an issue with sound address E.

Note from memory there's one or two very high frequencies generated by the sound board that are inaudible to humans - they are effectively one way the board is made silent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-32-sound-module-programming-help?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.