(Topic ID: 325933)

Bally AS-2518-32 Sound Module Programming Help?

By DickHamill

16 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 16 days ago

I'm working on programming a Supersonic, and every time I fire off one of the solenoids, the machine also plays a tone on the -32 sound module.
In the past, I've worked with the -51 sound card and the S&T, and I'm familiar with using the Solenoid Bank / Sound Select line U11:CB2, but this doesn't seem to work in the same way with the -32.
Here's my solenoid activation psuedo code:

Initialization of U11 PIA:
1) U11 B Control is initialized to 0x30 (interrupt setup, CB2 setup, and points to DDR)
2) U11 B is set to 0xFF (all bits output)
3) U11 B Control is set to 0x34 (interrupt setup, CB2 setup, and points to data lines)
4) U11 B is set to 0x9F (continuous solenoids for coin lockout & flippers off, and momentary solenoids off)

With that, CB2 is low because b3 of U11BControl is off.

Writing solenoids:
1) Continuous solenoid bits are written into U11 B (upper nibble)
2) Momentary solenoid bits are written into U11 B (lower nibble)
3) CB2 (b3 of U11 B control is always low)
4) Sound address line "E" (from U11 A:b1) is constant (I've tried low or high and I *think* I get different tones?)

I have a working method for writing to the -51 sound card, which is:
1) OR 0x0F onto U11 B (so we don't trigger a solenoid)
2) Make sure CB2 is low with 0x34 on U11 B Control
3) delay 68 Microseconds
4) Write address line E into U11 A:b1
5) Put CB2 high with 0x3C on U11 B Control
6) Put the sound data on lower nibble of U11 B
7) delay 180 microseconds
8) Restore the original solenoid byte
9) Restore the original display byte to U11 A
10) Put CB2 low again with 0x34 on U11 B Control

When I try that method for the -32 card, it makes the card click, like it's starting to play and then stopping immediately.
I would like to figure out how to play the tones on the -32 sound card, but at this point I would be just as happy to figure out what's wrong with my solenoid firing routine that it plays tones in the first place. From the circuit diagram, it appears that only a change on CB2 means anything to the -32 (since there's a cap in the way of the signal line).
I'm about to disassemble the original ROMs and look for any "writes" to address 0x0092. That might give me the answer, but will also probably take a week for me to figure out.

Anyone have any insight to how this card works?
Thanks in advance!

#2 16 days ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I'm working on programming a Supersonic, and every time I fire off one of the solenoids, the machine also plays a tone on the -32 sound module.

From memory there's something in the code to stop sounds when firing a momentary coil. Actually it's not 100% perfect because on odd occasions my games will play a spurious tone when activating a solenoid - usually a drop target reset.

Communications of the -32/-50 sound board and -51 sound board are totally different.
The -51 sound board has its own processor. It receives a sound command from the MPU board and does the rest.
The processor for the -32/-50 sound board is actually the main MPU boards CPU - i.e. it's burdened with the task of controlling the sound board. Data sent to the sound board selects what tone (frequency) to play. Game code has tables for the sounds and how long they play. There are about 30 selectable audible tones.

I have to look up my notes if you want more details but I've got to head off for the day.
Maybe others can chime in

#3 16 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

From memory there's something in the code to stop sounds when firing a momentary coil. Actually it's not 100% perfect because on odd occasions my games will play a spurious tone when activating a solenoid - usually a drop target reset.
Communications of the -32/-50 sound board and -51 sound board are totally different.
The -51 sound board has its own processor. It receives a sound command from the MPU board and does the rest.
The processor for the -32/-50 sound board is actually the main MPU boards CPU - i.e. it's burdened with the task of controlling the sound board. Data sent to the sound board selects what tone (frequency) to play. Game code has tables for the sounds and how long they play. There are about 30 selectable audible tones.
I have to look up my notes if you want more details but I've got to head off for the day.
Maybe others can chime in

Thanks for the info -- I'm still going through the code, so hopefully I'll get a clue.
Looking at the schematic, I can't see how the 4042 gets latched without any change from the Solenoid/Sound Select line. Even if I don't pulse that line, I get sounds...

#4 16 days ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Thanks for the info -- I'm still going through the code, so hopefully I'll get a clue.
Looking at the schematic, I can't see how the 4042 gets latched without any change from the Solenoid/Sound Select line. Even if I don't pulse that line, I get sounds...

Well... Maybe this is a hardware issue. It just occurred to me to run the solenoid test & game play in old code and listen for the beeps. I found out that on my particular Supersonic (or my particular -32 sound card) makes noise whenever any solenoid is fired, and they're the same beeps that it makes with my new code. Perhaps I have an issue with my 4042 or some other component on the board.

If anyone else has a Supersonic or another -32 machine they can test with, I'd be curious to know if this is a hardware bug of my machine. Other than that, I might just live with the issue. In the new code, there is enough music/sound effects to drown out the spurious beeps & bloops. Or I can always turn down the volume...

Edit: there's a good chance that this will keep me awake until I figure it out.

#5 15 days ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Download the datasheet for the 4042 and look at the truth table

There might be some useful info in the thread more so as it progressed.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-generating-extra-tone-sequences

Quoted from DickHamill:

I found out that on my particular Supersonic (or my particular -32 sound card) makes noise whenever any solenoid is fired, and they're the same beeps that it makes with my new code.

No tones should play when solenoids are being activated. The pin headers on these sound boards commonly crack, might want to take a close look. May be an issue with sound address E.

Note from memory there's one or two very high frequencies generated by the sound board that are inaudible to humans - they are effectively one way the board is made silent.

#6 15 days ago

Strange. I haven't ever seen a solenoid command hold "through" a sound command.

Regardless, the sound board is edge triggered (solenoid board is level triggered). If you leave your solenoid command on the S0-3 bus when you return the Solenoid Interrupt pin to disable the solenoid board, you will trigger the sound board with the solenoid command. I think that is what is occuring?

#7 14 days ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Strange. I haven't ever seen a solenoid command hold "through" a sound command.
Regardless, the sound board is edge triggered (solenoid board is level triggered). If you leave your solenoid command on the S0-3 bus when you return the Solenoid Interrupt pin to disable the solenoid board, you will trigger the sound board with the solenoid command. I think that is what is occuring?

I totally believe that my board is supposed to behave that way (edge triggered, then latch the solenoid lines), but I think that my particular board is broken. I simply didn't notice that it was broken until I started to reprogram. My board makes noise every time a solenoid fires in old code / new code / solenoid test mode, etc. For now, I just turned down the volume. If it continues to keep me up at night, I'll pull the board and see if I can get it working on the bench. Worst case scenario, I think Weebly has a replacement for $100, but I'm sure it won't come to that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Cabinet Parts
Wire-Bot
Cabinet parts
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!