Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221012_182345 (resized).jpg
    PinCompares (resized).jpg
    IMG_0023b.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210417_214727 (resized).jpg
    Stern_High_Voltage_Regulator_schematic (resized).jpg
    IMG_0017a.jpg
    340623_4334341271808_10133355_o (resized).jpg
    switching (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210415-201326 (resized).png
    Heat_Sink_Wakefield_Vette (resized).jpg
    AS-2518-22_front_good (resized).jpg
    AS-2518-22_front_bad (resized).jpg
    AS-2518-22_back_good (resized).jpg
    AS-2518-22_back_bad (resized).jpg
    SDB_HV1.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 3 years ago

If you can't (easily) find a 140V zener it is normal practice to replace it with two zeners in series. IE use a 62V and a 75V in series giving you 137V which will work perfectly in this circuit.

2 weeks later
    #39 3 years ago

For repairs to these boards I use TIP47G (MUST have the 'G') for the drivers and MJE15032 for the output. Never had any issue using these parts and they are very easy to find.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Replacement for which transistor do you mean?
    Image please...
    If you mean for the high voltage regulator, the voltage for the TIP47G is too low.
    My input voltage to start with is 270V.
    The TIP47G maximum is 250V.
    https://nl.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/TIP47_D-1814988.pdf

Yes but the transistor only has 193V across it. The input voltage isn't what is applied across the devices. I have never had a failure using these but I do buy them from reliable places such as RS Components.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

... and this is why when one transistor fails, they all do.

Using quality parts helps, but yes, should either of the drivers short (in a particular way) that would place excess voltage on the other driver. I add it's never happened to boards I have repaired in 30 years using quality parts.

If you really want to be super safe, use a TIP48 rated at 300V but I have never found it necessary. Sometimes overkill isn't always needed to achieve a reliable result.

When rebuilding this particular circuit a repair person should replace ALL active devices regardless, so your point is rather moot.

I try and use suitable parts that can EASILY be obtained at SENSIBLE prices.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

That's why the aftermarket supplies are a no brainer. Highly efficient linear designs that generate less heat, short circuit protection, 5 amp 5V rails, LED indicators, mosfet drivers for faster coil response and more. It's one thing to save an expensive MPU board with a few dollars in parts, but replacing a power supply or solenoid driver board with an aftermarket board for years of reliable operation often makes more sense.

I think you mean:

"Highly efficient SWITCHING designs"

Linear is what the originals are......

#60 3 years ago

Actually it IS a debate, they have 100% for certain made an error in that wording.

This is their 5V section and it is, without any doubt, a switching supply as can be seen by the chip used and the toroidal choke.

Anyone can make a mistake and this is mistake on their part for sure.

switching (resized).pngswitching (resized).png
    #73 3 years ago

Here is a different looking replacement to the other brands mentioned here listed on Pinball Life site.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-22-voltage-regulator-problem-with-high-voltage?tu=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.