(Topic ID: 276755)

Bally AS-2518-22 Solenoid/driver - negaive DC voltage?

By pb456

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF6193 (resized).JPG
DSCF6196 (resized).JPG
DSCF6194 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I don't understand what's going on here.

I took a non-working 2518-22 (2vDC on 5V test points) and replaced the HV caps (correct polarity), and the LV section and VRM.

I was careful to follow correct polarity on the caps (those that were polarized) and I have repinned/replaced ALL connectors.

I know the MPU boots with a replacement Solenoid/driver board, but was trying to keep it original.

Is the voltage regulator module responsible for this? Looks like a national semiconductor LM323K. I don't see how in blue blazes I could have mounted that backwards as the securing bolts/nuts for the heat sink are offset and would presumably prevent that.

All the test points are showing negative DC voltages. For what it's worth, they're right where they should be, but negative.

Thanks!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Not trying to be a smart ass but are you sure your meter leeds aren't backwards?

You could very well be right - I'm more than a LITTLE crosseyed after repairing the MPU. I'll check. I hope it was just a boo-boo.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Post clear high res pictures of the board front and back. Lets see if you have a fake Chinese LM323.
BTW, try removing the loop wire at pin 13 from the SDB J3 connector. This wire feeds output from the 5V reg back to the board for the solenoid driver circuit and I have had shorted 74L154 chips at U2 pull down the 5V reg output voltage.

amxfc3s was exactly right - I think I should have just double-checked everything. I didn't catch that, and thought I had screwed something up.

I got the rebuild kit from Big Daddy, and I'm attaching pictures of the board and hopefully good front pics of the VRM.

I looked at the back of the VRM before, and saw a post about a bogus VRM and this did not appear to be the same type.

Thanks much Quench and amxfc3s . It was a stupid mistake.

DSCF6193 (resized).JPGDSCF6193 (resized).JPGDSCF6194 (resized).JPGDSCF6194 (resized).JPGDSCF6196 (resized).JPGDSCF6196 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-22-solenoid-driver-negaive-dc-voltage?tu=pb456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.