(Topic ID: 134912)

Bally AS-2518-22 / can C23 cap be replaced w/ this?

By indypinhead

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a Bally AS-2518-22 solenoid driver board. I'm wanting to replace the C23 CAP with this:

15000uF 25 volt

GPE part # CER-15000uF-25V

Will this be OK?

#2 8 years ago

Yes. Perfectly fine.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks!!!

#4 8 years ago

Unless you already ordered it, it appears to be out of stock.

bigdaddy-enterprises.com and digikey.com also carry caps with similar values.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for leads....

I already have 3 here in my parts drawer.

Another question on this board....

When replacing the 330 ohm and 120 ohm resistors, what wattage is needed?

I'm getting ready to place an order w/ GPE

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Thanks for leads....
    I already have 3 here in my parts drawer.
    Another question on this board....
    When replacing the 330 ohm and 120 ohm resistors, what wattage is needed?

At what board locations? Usually it's notated on the schematic.

#7 8 years ago

The 120 ohm is the R15 on the board
    The 330 ohm is the R16 on the board.

The schematics just stated 120 ohm and 330 ohm.

#8 8 years ago

Probably 1/4 watt. What are the colored rings on them?

-huh. I thought the bands gave wattage...apparently not...

--looks like it's size determinant. Pretty sure those are gonna be 1/4 watts. You can go higher watts as long as it will physically fit the location.

#9 8 years ago

1/4 watt unless otherwise marked. R15 and R16 are 1/4W.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

GPE is closed until the 18th. Try bigdaddy-enterprises.com.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the help guys...

Yeah, just noticed GPE is on vacation...after I filled my cart w/ close to $75.00 in parts.

#12 8 years ago

Can you list the parts you are ordering for your rebuild. I need to do the same for mine and am a bit lost on what is needed.

#13 8 years ago

Hey Taylor....

At the moment, I'm just concerned w/ getting my boards working again. On one board, my Q3 got fried, took out a resistor and diode w/ it. The other one is giving me reset problems. I'm just taking some stabs in the dark on getting things up and running.....(learning as I go...as usual).

I'm using Vid's guide as a reference.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

How are my TSPP and TAF rails coming along?

Hope things are goin' good for you.

#14 8 years ago

I'm getting some of the parts from Tayda...but most will be coming from GPE.

GPE is on vacation for the next 2 weeks so these projects have been place on the back burner.

#15 8 years ago

I'm also working on rebuilding a couple bridge rectifier boards for the same pins....those too, have been put on hold until GPE is back from vacation.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can you list the parts you are ordering for your rebuild. I need to do the same for mine and am a bit lost on what is needed.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Board_Issues

Scroll down to section 4.7.6 for parts list. And if Big Daddy has the huge shipping costs going try mouser.com.

1 year later
    #17 7 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I'm wanting to replace the C23 CAP with this:
    15000uF 25 volt

My understanding is that values are additive.. If I had an 8000, and a 7000, You'd get a 15000 if you put them in series.

For this C23, Would a larger value be acceptable? say, an 18000 @35V Just asking becuause I have one of those.

-Brian

#18 7 years ago

Two caps in series :
    1/(1/8000 + 1/7000) = 3733uF

18000 in place where a 12000 was intended. That would be a 50% increase. Would probably be fine but will result in larger surge currents through your rectifiers. The 35V voltage rating is fine, though.

#19 7 years ago

Surge currents?! I don't think I want that! Hahah. I'll dig around and see if I can find something smaller.
    -B

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-22-can-c23-cap-be-replaced-w-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.