7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by debaser
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've got a Bally AS-2518-17 mpu I'm working on. When I got it, the LED would just come on and stay lit. The board had some battery corrosion so I removed a few components in the reset section that were in the corroded areas, fixed the battery corrosion, installed machine pin strips for the 5101 and installed new parts for the ones I removed in the corroded areas. I also replaced the .100 male header at J4.

After doing this, the LED does the quick flash, flashes twice and then sits there for a moment, and then repeats the two flashes, sits there for a moment, etc over and over. I swapped out the 5101 with a new one, traced back all it's pins which were good. I also installed machine pin strips for the 6810 and swapped in another 6810 but no change. I also replaced the 4011 at U19 but that didn't fix it. All the voltages are good as tested at the MPU board.

I'm a bit stumped. Never had one that would keep flashing like this. Usually it just stops at one of the flashes. It's like it's resetting after the second flash.

Any ideas?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

certain 6810 failures causes consistent reboots like you describe. Check all the traces and VIAs around there. Some are commonly opened up from a leaking battery.
    If you have leon's test rom you can see what it reports about the RAM.

Forgot to say that I tested the 6810 with my NeoLoch tester and it passed. I'll dig thru all the traces again and see if I can find anything

#4 7 years ago

I figured it out. I had completely forgotten that I bought one of the 6821 PIA testers for my NeoLoch. I tested both of the PIA's and the one at U10 tested bad. Installed a working one and the board booted up just fine. Problem solved!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-17-mpu-2-flashes-then-repeats?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.