20160330_215122_(resized).jpg
Bally_Apron_02_(resized).jpg
pf2_(resized).jpg
Gorgar_flyer_(resized).png
IMG_0166_(resized).jpg
20160207_122027_(resized).jpg
Photo_16-01-08_11_52_51_(resized).jpg
s-l1600_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merfeldma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I believe you might be thinking of merfeldma post at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-ball-archapron-remakes/page/2 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-remakes-what-titles-to-start-with-cast-your-vote
He seems to have abandoned this! He did A HSII and TOTAN apron that was nice but the artwork was so so on the TOTAN! Last I heard he was busy with dental school and, as you can see, his post is archived!

Another 30 days until I'm licensed as a dentist. Brenna98 has been persistent at trying to get me back into this and has my curiosity peaked. The risky part of the project is to make sure there is enough interest from people to make it worth while. I'm excited to watch this thread because I agree silk screening is crucial to get things right. I've got artwork files for a few Bally games already so making the screens wouldn't be an issue.

#50 8 years ago

So far so good with the interest levels. I'm very happy Brenna98 called me so we could figure out how to restore these great games. I'm going to be doing some research over the next few weeks to see if I can source the games listed above so I can get two things from them. First and most importantly I need to get quality artwork so I can make accurate silk screens for them and color match the inks and base coat. Second, I want to see just how many of the aprons are identical in size and form. If anyone can say with 100% certainty that they know say Fathom and Centaur are identical please let me know. Each and every unique apron will need a custom silk screening jig to hold the apron stable between prints.

In order for this to be time and cost effective it would be very helpful to do games in batches. It's just about as much work to strip, powdercoat, mix inks, setup silk screens, register silk screens, clean silk screens (time intensive) to do 20 games as it is to do 1 game. All that said I hope we can get the interest because we could make some really beautiful restored aprons to go with the restored cabinets, CPR playfields, and plastics, etc... For too long we have been stuck with scratched, dented, flaking paint on our aprons and only left with decals that do their best, but don't cut the muster of us crazy pinball perfectionists.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I am a graphic designer and know another good one that is a pinhead that could help with reproducing the artwork accurately if needed.

PM sent

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Embryon, Fathom, and EBD for me.
Would you also be doing the shooter gauge too or just the apron?

It would be for the apron and shooter. It's very unlikely that the new v. old basecoat and inks would match 100% if put side by side due to yellowing and fading over the years.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Instead of restoring old, twisted or otherwise damaged aprons, why not have new ones bent? Way less time, much more consistent printing surface.

That's why I reproduced the aprons for HS and TOTAN so I could deliver I perfect apron with no dings, dents, frays, etc... If it turns out that the aprons are identical between the majority of Bally games this is a real possibility. If they differ in small ways it's not cost feasible to make 5-10 a game since the tooling alone can cost thousands of dollars.

#62 8 years ago

Another added benefit of making new aprons is I could increase the thickness to an 18 gauge steel which would really reduce flexibility, dents, and bends in the future. They would still be plug and play with the existing hardware.

#64 8 years ago

For those keeping count on interest
8 Ball Deluxe - 5
Air Aces - 1
Black Knight - 1
Centaur - 3
Embryon - 1
Fathom - 5
Fireball II - 1
Flash Gordon - 2
Future Spa - 1
Hang Glider - 1
Mata Hari - 1
Medusa - 2
Paragon - 6
Skateball - 1
Viking - 1
Zenon - 1

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

What kind of price range do you think a new formed and silkscreened apron would be?

Probably similar to what High Speed and TOTAN were, in the $100-150 range depending on the amount of colors, number of units made, complexity of the apron, and licensing rights if they are made from scratch.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You could just run it like BGResto and get people to send you the apron for "restoration", and you send them back a "restored" apron.

It's not as simple as it sounds. The aprons are silk screened with individual colors. In order to do it properly each color needs to be registered against the last. As mentioned before it takes about as much time and effort to do one apron as it does to do 10+ due to the setup times. Doing one at a time is an option, but the labor it takes would make the price increase dramatically unless they could be done in batches.

eg. Merf's Pins has a wish list of games. When 10 or more orders are reached everyone sends in that specific game and a notice is put out for anyone else interested to get it in by a cutoff time. The owner would need to know it may take one month turn around from the time they shipped the apron out from the time they receive it back. If the apron is only being restored any heavy scratches, dents, may remain under the powdercoat since it cannot be bondoed over. That said if many aprons are the same we may have extras from other games we could strip and send back in cases of severely damaged aprons received.

1 week later
#118 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Matt, I know you already have the artwork for Medusa and Flash Gordon, do you still plan on using those?

Yes, chances are Flash Gordon will be the first game we start with for apron restorations.

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Merf what happened to the Funhouse apron you were supposedly in process of making way back when. I am in dire need for a. Ew apron and my plunger cover is broken also. Not happening now?

Once I hit a high enough interest number I will start with pre-orders on Funhouse.

3 months later
#158 7 years ago

Brenna98 and I will be posting pictures of our screens and restored aprons over the next few weeks. The film positives are finished and I will be exposing the screens later this week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merfeldma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-apron-stencils?tu=merfeldma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.