Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by meSz
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
bally_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).png
20160330_215122_(resized).jpg
Bally_Apron_02_(resized).jpg
pf2_(resized).jpg
Gorgar_flyer_(resized).png
IMG_0166_(resized).jpg
20160207_122027_(resized).jpg
Photo_16-01-08_11_52_51_(resized).jpg
s-l1600_(resized).jpg

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

I am a graphic designer and know another good one that is a pinhead that could help with reproducing the artwork accurately if needed.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I am a graphic designer and know another good one that is a pinhead that could help with reproducing the artwork accurately if needed.

PM sent

#53 4 years ago

It seems like the interest in the older Bally games is really increasing. CPR is reproducing more and more playfields, plastics and backglasses and there's an increase in high end restorations at places like HEP that indicate us older pinheads with a bit of disposable income are trying to recreate and enjoy the games of our youth. The apron is front and center on the game and it really is nice to not have to see the dents, scratches, rust and stickers that so many have accumulated over the years.

I think there would be a decent amount of business for someone who would repair, repaint and silkscreen these old aprons. After a while if you got a bit of a stockpile you could have certain popular aprons ready to go and someone would just send in their "core" for replacement (kind of like alternators at the auto supply stores).

#54 4 years ago

Embryon, Fathom, and EBD for me.

Would you also be doing the shooter gauge too or just the apron?

#55 4 years ago

Instead of restoring old, twisted or otherwise damaged aprons, why not have new ones bent? Way less time, much more consistent printing surface.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Instead of restoring old, twisted or otherwise damaged aprons, why not have new ones bent? Way less time, much more consistent printing surface.

I like your style sir!

#57 4 years ago

I would be interested in Xenon, EBD & Centaur.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I'd imagine that the shooter gauge would have to be part of the package so that the colors would match.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

It would be for the apron and shooter. It's very unlikely that the new v. old basecoat and inks would match 100% if put side by side due to yellowing and fading over the years.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's why I reproduced the aprons for HS and TOTAN so I could deliver I perfect apron with no dings, dents, frays, etc... If it turns out that the aprons are identical between the majority of Bally games this is a real possibility. If they differ in small ways it's not cost feasible to make 5-10 a game since the tooling alone can cost thousands of dollars.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Not all of them, I'm needing one for a Bally Viking and none being made anywhere.

Yes they are ALL junk!!!!....Garbage....

#62 4 years ago

Another added benefit of making new aprons is I could increase the thickness to an 18 gauge steel which would really reduce flexibility, dents, and bends in the future. They would still be plug and play with the existing hardware.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

That's why I reproduced the aprons for HS and TOTAN so I could deliver I perfect apron with no dings, dents, frays, etc... If it turns out that the aprons are identical between the majority of Bally games this is a real possibility. If they differ in small ways it's not cost feasible to make 5-10 a game since the tooling alone can cost thousands of dollars.

There was at least one that had game specific instructions (Medusa), but other than that one, I think they are all identical (just different colors).

#64 4 years ago

For those keeping count on interest
8 Ball Deluxe - 5
Air Aces - 1
Black Knight - 1
Centaur - 3
Embryon - 1
Fathom - 5
Fireball II - 1
Flash Gordon - 2
Future Spa - 1
Hang Glider - 1
Mata Hari - 1
Medusa - 2
Paragon - 6
Skateball - 1
Viking - 1
Zenon - 1

#65 4 years ago

Add me to the Future Spa list Merf please and thanks!

#66 4 years ago

So Paragon first Lets do this!

#67 4 years ago

Add me for a Flash Gordon...and more later if I am able to obtain titles (Fathom, Skateball, EBD)

#68 4 years ago

Why not do the 1980-81 narrowbody template that covers several games with different palettes first, rather than a single unique one?

#69 4 years ago

I think if they look good, you will sell them. After you put a new playfield in with new plastics and polished guides etc.., and redo the cabinet, you still have this crappy, faded, scratched rusted POS at the bottom.

#70 4 years ago

Depending on details, I'd be down for a whole bunch. The Bally games I'd consider upgrading (in no particular order):

Strikes and Spares
Star Trek
Paragon
Medusa
Embryon
Fathom
Centaur

#71 4 years ago

I think between the group of guys in MN, we should have access to most of those titles for color matching.

My restored Flash Gordon is in dire need of a nice apron

also, I know it's not a Bally but my seawitch is nearing completion.

#72 4 years ago

I'd be in for Nitro Ground Shaker and maybe Night Rider.

#73 4 years ago

Paragon, skateball, ebd I'm in for

#74 4 years ago

Like my brother mentioned I need one for the Hang Glider I will soon be restoring.

#75 4 years ago

Its licensed you cannot make this without BAA shoving a long stick in your bungaler...

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Its licensed you cannot make this without BAA shoving a long stick in your bungaler...

You can't make aprons from scratch, but you are allowed to restore any existing ones.

I can't recreate your EBD playfield from scratch, but I can restore all the artwork for you on the one you already own....

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I think he already has a relationship with PPS since he did the other two aprons already. Maybe I am wrong.

#78 4 years ago

Interested in:
Fathom
Medusa
EBD
Embryon
Paragon
Centaur
Flash Gordon

#79 4 years ago

Paragon here

#80 4 years ago

I actually have an apron decal from Classic Arcades for Paragon. The quality is definitely terrible. The P touches the I and it looks awful.

It also does not look glossy, so I suppose it needs to be clearcoated after the installation. Of course there are no f***in instructions except "peel and stick".

Quoted from catboxer:

Also they are not sealed and will smear if they come into contact with any kind of water based cleaner.

So I need to install this dry???? I can't imagine doing an apron decal without being able to slide it and adjust it.

#81 4 years ago

You could buy some flat sheet magnet material (the kind that covers heating vents) from the hardware store and then adhere the decal to that instead, so you can move it around all you want. But if the decal looks like crap, why bother, unless you apron looks worse.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I actually have an apron decal from Classic Arcades for Paragon. The quality is definitely terrible. The P touches the I and it looks awful.
It also does not look glossy, so I suppose it needs to be clearcoated after the installation. Of course there are no f***in instructions except "peel and stick".

So I need to install this dry???? I can't imagine doing an apron decal without being able to slide it and adjust it.

I didn't even bother installing mine. They went straight in the trash. Wasn't worth putting that on my machine. I would rather have the rust and flaking than that.

#83 4 years ago

If we are taking requests, Mata Hari, Power Play, and Strikes and Spares too...............

#84 4 years ago

What kind of price range do you think a new formed and silkscreened apron would be?

#85 4 years ago

I'd be in for the following (and probably others if they were done):

Medusa
Nitro ground shaker
Skateball
Harlem Globetrotters

#86 4 years ago

add me to the list for 8 Ball Deluxe, (I need 2...one original, one for the 8BDLE)

#87 4 years ago

Old Chicago maybe?

#88 4 years ago

I need a new meteor apron

#89 4 years ago

Im interested in Medusa, Fathom and Skateball

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So Paragon first Lets do this!

Obviously with Paragon being a wide body Matt would need a lot more people wanting it since the apron is different from all the others on the list!

Can anyone confirm that Paragon, Space Invaders and Embryon use the same apron??

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I need a new meteor apron

Go well with a new CPR playfield

http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#92 4 years ago

Fathom Apron is not like the other... There is a little round piece of metal in the middle to cover the ball in the outhole.

pf2_(resized).jpgBally_Apron_02_(resized).jpg

#93 4 years ago

Haha look at this thing. How could anyone think this is acceptable and how hard would it be to have fixed this? Jeff simply does not give a shit and he never has.

#94 4 years ago

1_(resized).png

#95 4 years ago

Embryon's apron has an extra lamp on the right side to show when the Flipsave is active.

#96 4 years ago

The janky Fathom example from earlier can probably be explained by being a text cut-and-paste from a Paragon scan, which does have 'PINBALL' in a somewhat different font (looks more Arial) and where the P and I do touch. It's kind of like a 'prototype' for the 1980-81 template design.

http://flyers.cdyn.com/pingames/bally/300dpi/paragon-1979-f-4.jpg

#97 4 years ago

Also, I wonder if Future Spa was originally going to be Logan's Run, since the L-O-G-A-N-S-R-U-N letter spotting would be exactly the same.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Haha look at this thing. How could anyone think this is acceptable and how hard would it be to have fixed this? Jeff simply does not give a shit and he never has.

That and it is purple, not navy blue. There are several other things with that apron one could point out as well, not just the "P" and "I".

Of course if you contact Jeff about it he gives you the "we have never had anybody complain about it before and I have sold hundreds of these!" Yet he refuses to correct the problems.

#99 4 years ago

Th NGS he sells looks white when the apron is a grey/silver color. Ridiculous. If a real solution can't be found I will chrome or powder coat mine and have it done custom by a pinstriped.

#100 4 years ago

The apron decals from Pinball Rescue are of top quality. Unfortunately, no more Bally/Wms from them!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside