20160330_215122_(resized).jpg
Bally_Apron_02_(resized).jpg
pf2_(resized).jpg
Gorgar_flyer_(resized).png
IMG_0166_(resized).jpg
20160207_122027_(resized).jpg
Photo_16-01-08_11_52_51_(resized).jpg
s-l1600_(resized).jpg
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Hi all,

I am restoring my collection of early Bally tables: Centaur, Paragon, Fathom and Medusa.

Cabinet stencils are readily available but I was wondering if anyone was making stencils for these aprons. Mine, like many others I guess, are in need of a full refurb after 30 odd years in more or less humid environment and sticker abuse from previous owners...

Anybody interested in creating some? They should be the same base design really with only Centaur having extra features.

Thanks for your help and ideas...

#2 8 years ago

Classic Arcades makes decals for all of them.

#3 8 years ago

I've noticed the P and the I are touching on those decals on the word pinball. No biggie, but not correct either.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from squad8:

Only if you are desperate!!!
Classic Arcades is willing to pay the PPS royalty and PPS is willing to take the money. Neither guarantees a product that is accurate....FFS!

s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpg

Photo_16-01-08_11_52_51_(resized).jpgPhoto_16-01-08_11_52_51_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

For the love of God do NOT buy one of there from ClassicArcades! (Unless you do not give a rip about quality or accuracy) They are garbage no matter what they tell you. Terribly innacurrate. Unfortunatley the people that did make good ones no longer do Bally/Williams stuff.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I've noticed the P and the I are touching on those decals on the word pinball. No biggie, but not correct either.

All it would take is about 15 minutes of work and they could make accurate stuff but they aren't willing. Been seeing the same innacurrate ones for years. Lazy

#7 8 years ago

Also they are not sealed and will smear if they come into contact with any kind of water based cleaner.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from squad8:

Not all of them, I'm needing one for a Bally Viking and none being made anywhere.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Not all of them, I'm needing one for a Bally Viking and none being made anywhere.

I need one for Air Aces and can't find that one either.

#10 8 years ago

I would like to call out Jeff "pinball Pimp" to see if he could get into this market. It's my opinion that PPS only cares about sales and doesn't monitor quality. They are losing so many sales because of poor products. Classic Arcades has been subpar for quite awhile. Look at the above pics!! It's a sticker!!! We deserve better, please Jeff, we need a REAL choice.

#11 8 years ago

Can we give a big shout out to Mr. Personality of PPS for this awful situation?

#12 8 years ago

I have to agree with all the above statements. I have decided that since the only place that was making good decals is now out of that business, I am using VID1900's playfield method of waterslide decals to make my own apron decals for my machines. I scan the artwork, clean it up, match the the paint, make stencils, spray the colors and use a decal to finish the work. Clearcoat is then applied to seal in the work.
20160207_122027_(resized).jpg20160207_122027_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

Nice one Packie but not for the faint hearted that I am!

I did get in touch with Jeff. He said he would look into this but he was busy with working on Paragon at the time. No news ever since despite a few more PMs...
Maybe if more of you guys show some interest he would see a real market for these...?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Can we give a big shout out to Mr. Personality of PPS for this awful situation?

YES, thanks Rickster. We are relegated to making our own. Lost liscence money to B/W and yourselves. I Hope Jeff will step up to help, I know he is buried with work.

#15 8 years ago

Packie's method with the waterslide decals don't seem too difficult. And the quality will be much better than what you get from Classic Arcades I'm sure. Just search ClassicAracdes here on Pinside.

If you do decide to buy from him, don't come back here crying - you have been for-warned.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Packie's method with the waterslide decals don't seem too difficult. And the quality will be much better than what you get from Classic Arcades

Just a quick FYI on this, I was going to get this apron from Classic, but they had the color layout wrong and I had read posts on pinside that made me decide to DIY.

#17 8 years ago

Classic CAN make some good items but sadly this does not look like one of them.
Not sure why someone would go to the trouble to re-produce something then make it wrong.

#18 8 years ago

"Not sure why someone would go to the trouble to re-produce something then make it wrong."

More like, only show in town so why bother making it right.

FWIW, I'd like a new translight for my DE:ST, but the Ebay seller is CA. So I am not going to even waste my money. I'll just wait for a show and hand view the replacement.

#19 8 years ago

My wife made a Williams logo for me on her vinyl cutting machine. Works pretty well and sealed it in with clear. It is pretty easy using that method to make an outlined figure.

The middle logo on this apron is cut from vinyl. The triangles were taped off and painted in. When the whole thing was cleared you can't tell the difference.

It was not absolutely correct, but it served the purpose.

-scott

IMG_0166_(resized).jpgIMG_0166_(resized).jpg

#20 8 years ago

^^^ Only show in town (making PPS some money) is right!! Quality vendors win in the end. I can imagine what Pinball Pimps stencil line is doing to Classics stencil business. This is just one area that things could improve with restorations.

#21 8 years ago

I lend my need for support in getting a quality option made. The current CPR production list shows lots of old Bally coming to market. That should help justify time and effort for someone out there!

EBD and EBC are current needs for me

#22 8 years ago

I can make you whatever you need. I'm working on custom aprons but we can easily enough make you whatever you need.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-magnet-apron-mod

#23 8 years ago

FWIW, I saw that ThisOldGame was repro'ing Classic Stern aprons on their FB page last week. I would love to see them get a hold of the licence to sell entirely new screen printed aprons for the Bally's.

#24 8 years ago

A couple years ago I was considering stamping reproduction aprons (because they are usually damaged too) and had even enquired about printing them using licensed artwork and it was met with enthusiasm from everyone involved in the venture including the Bally license holders. I even have the apron fully drawn and modeled in Pro-E Creo ready for manufacture.

But there were some on here who claimed they were already doing the same thing so I cancelled the project. I don't really want to compete in the niche' market of manufacturing reproduction pinball parts. That's why up to this point I have only manufactured stuff no one else is doing. Even then you have to be a pinball enthusiast to even waste your time making the stuff because the returns are not very lucrative financially.

There's a thread on here somewhere by the guy who said he was doing the aprons. I hadn't thought about it in a while but I haven't seen the aprons yet so he may have just been talking.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

There's a thread on here somewhere by the guy who said he was doing the aprons. I hadn't thought about it in a while but I haven't seen the aprons yet so he may have just been talking.

I believe you might be thinking of merfeldma post at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-ball-archapron-remakes/page/2 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-remakes-what-titles-to-start-with-cast-your-vote

He seems to have abandoned this! He did A HSII and TOTAN apron that was nice but the artwork was so so on the TOTAN! Last I heard he was busy with dental school and, as you can see, his post is archived!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I can make you whatever you need. I'm working on custom aprons but we can easily enough make you whatever you need.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-magnet-apron-mod

The Centaur you did is fantastic

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-magnet-apron-mod/page/8#post-3040220

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

A couple years ago I was considering stamping reproduction aprons (because they are usually damaged too) and had even enquired about printing them using licensed artwork and it was met with enthusiasm from everyone involved in the venture including the Bally license holders. I even have the apron fully drawn and modeled in Pro-E Creo ready for manufacture.
But there were some on here who claimed they were already doing the same thing so I cancelled the project. I don't really want to compete in the niche' market of manufacturing reproduction pinball parts. That's why up to this point I have only manufactured stuff no one else is doing. Even then you have to be a pinball enthusiast to even waste your time making the stuff because the returns are not very lucrative financially.

If you have the means to begin producing these, please try to get the licensing and make it happen! Would love a nice new looking apron on my Paragon (if you can do widebodies as well).

#28 8 years ago

Gatecrasher...

Knowing you love 8 Ball Deluxe...you ought to make that the 1st apron you make.

I'd buy one.

#29 8 years ago

Gatecrasher,

Make that 2 for EBD

#30 8 years ago

I believe both products are needed in the marketplace. I just want a sticker that spelled PINBALL without the letters overlapping. Maybe the right colors too...... Rick?

#31 8 years ago

The question for PPS is do you want it done right, or just done. I think we all know the answer when I comes to PPS.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

If you have the means to begin producing these, please try to get the licensing and make it happen! Would love a nice new looking apron on my Paragon (if you can do widebodies as well).

No joke, I would pay handsomely for a brand new correct Paragon apron.

#33 8 years ago

I'd be in for a nice new one for my paragon as well.

#34 8 years ago

A Fireball II would be one I'd buy. My original apron isn't too bad, so I'll leave it alone for now. My Mata Hari decals from the same vendor didn't have the black outline. I have got some things that were ok too. Be weary.........

#35 8 years ago

All the standard width Bally playfield aprons are the same. Just the artwork is different.

There are areas at the bottom on just about all of them that you will find wear if you look close enough. Especially on the left side at the bottom edge of the "V" where the ball drains into the outhole ejector. Unless it is a very light-used machine they will always have a burr there. Aprons from machines with heavy use will have a pretty-nasty burr there.

You really don't notice it until you go to restore one. That's why I figured they would be worth manufacturing.

I know those licensed EBD apron decals are crap. I tried to use one and it didn't fit good at all. I finally gave-up.

I may decide to re-focus on this again this summer if it looks like there will be a decent demand for them. The tooling isn't cheap.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

All the standard width Bally playfield aprons are the same. Just the artwork is different.
There are areas at the bottom on just about all of them that you will find wear if you look close enough. Especially on the left side at the bottom edge of the "V" where the ball drains into the outhole ejector. Unless it is a very light-used machine they will always have a burr there. Aprons from machines with heavy use will have a pretty-nasty burr there.
You really don't notice it until you go to restore one. That's why I figured they would be worth manufacturing.
I know those licensed EBD apron decals are crap. I tried to use one and it didn't fit good at all. I finally gave-up.
I may decide to re-focus on this again this summer if it looks like there will be a decent demand for them. The tooling isn't cheap.

I think you'll find a demand if the price is reasonable. Heck, considering the hobby, you'll find a demand.

#37 8 years ago

I could use one for Future Spa, but that would be time consuming unless there was an existing one for Space Invaders or Hotdoggin' that could be easily palette-swapped. Paragon's is a different style altogether.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I believe you might be thinking of merfeldma

I'm working to convince Matt this is a good idea... Most of the early bally games use the exact same art, just different colors.

Not sure if a stencil from pinball pimp will work. The lettering for parts is probably too small to cut out.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Not sure if a stencil from pinball pimp will work. The lettering for parts is probably too small to cut out.

Also, the straight lines are very long and thin and I believe it would be impossible to keep the gap perfectly even when applying the stencil given the flexibility of the stencil material...

There must be a solution...

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I believe you might be thinking of merfeldma post at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-ball-archapron-remakes/page/2 and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-remakes-what-titles-to-start-with-cast-your-vote
He seems to have abandoned this! He did A HSII and TOTAN apron that was nice but the artwork was so so on the TOTAN! Last I heard he was busy with dental school and, as you can see, his post is archived!

Another 30 days until I'm licensed as a dentist. Brenna98 has been persistent at trying to get me back into this and has my curiosity peaked. The risky part of the project is to make sure there is enough interest from people to make it worth while. I'm excited to watch this thread because I agree silk screening is crucial to get things right. I've got artwork files for a few Bally games already so making the screens wouldn't be an issue.

#41 8 years ago

Would be really nice to have correct replacements. The market is there.

#42 8 years ago

I know most of you are requesting older Bally games but I would be all in on a Dr Dude apron, magnet, decal, cover whatever. It is a Bally still lol.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Another 30 days until I'm licensed as a dentist. Brenna98 has been persistent at trying to get me back into this and has my curiosity peaked. The risky part of the project is to make sure there is enough interest from people to make it worth while. I'm excited to watch this thread because I agree silk screening is crucial to get things right. I've got artwork files for a few Bally games already so making the screens wouldn't be an issue.

Well done for your training! May I suggest putting a Gorgar in your waiting room to set the tone:
http://www.ipdb.org/images/1062/image-44.jpg

Now for the interest level for these aprons we could start by a quick survey on this thread: You've got a count of 4 from me:
1 Centaur, 1 Medusa, 1 Fathom and 1 Paragon (with a possible reorder for 1 Centaur)...

Anybody else?

Gorgar_flyer_(resized).pngGorgar_flyer_(resized).png

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from chouca:

You've got a count of 4 from me:
1 Centaur, 1 Medusa, 1 Fathom and 1 Paragon (with a possible reorder for 1 Centaur)...

You got 3 of the ones I want in Medusa, Paragon and Fathom!

#45 8 years ago

Paragon and I am certain my brother needs one for Hang Glider.

#46 8 years ago

I will buy fathom and centaur!

#47 8 years ago

I'd be interested in Paragon, Skateball and Mata Hari.

#48 8 years ago

Paragon and possibly Flash Gordon, but definitely Paragon! Course I'd also love a brand new repro Gottlieb apron for the Joker Poker I'm building from scratch

#49 8 years ago

I could definitely use an Eight Ball Deluxe and a Fathom. If you happen to venture into Williams I also need a Black Knight.

#50 8 years ago

So far so good with the interest levels. I'm very happy Brenna98 called me so we could figure out how to restore these great games. I'm going to be doing some research over the next few weeks to see if I can source the games listed above so I can get two things from them. First and most importantly I need to get quality artwork so I can make accurate silk screens for them and color match the inks and base coat. Second, I want to see just how many of the aprons are identical in size and form. If anyone can say with 100% certainty that they know say Fathom and Centaur are identical please let me know. Each and every unique apron will need a custom silk screening jig to hold the apron stable between prints.

In order for this to be time and cost effective it would be very helpful to do games in batches. It's just about as much work to strip, powdercoat, mix inks, setup silk screens, register silk screens, clean silk screens (time intensive) to do 20 games as it is to do 1 game. All that said I hope we can get the interest because we could make some really beautiful restored aprons to go with the restored cabinets, CPR playfields, and plastics, etc... For too long we have been stuck with scratched, dented, flaking paint on our aprons and only left with decals that do their best, but don't cut the muster of us crazy pinball perfectionists.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-apron-stencils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.