41 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by BBC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2020-01-08_12-02-46 (resized).jpg

#1 41 days ago

I moved this over from the main topic board. Thanks

Hi, thanks for any help you can give me!!! New owner of a bally all star deluxe bowler. I have two questions on how it works. Game plays great but will not give me a strike or spare. If I knock down all the pins on the first ball, it will still give me a second ball with nothing to shoot at. After the second ball with nothing to shoot at, it will score me 10 pins like they all went down but no strike. Same if it takes me two balls to get all the pins down. No strike or spare awarded, but scores me ten pins. Same for both players. Both steppers for strikes and spares work fine. Thanks for any help you can give me!!! Brian.

#2 41 days ago
    Quoted from BBC:

I moved this over from the main topic board. Thanks
    Hi, thanks for any help you can give me!!! New owner of a bally all star deluxe bowler. I have two questions on how it works. Game plays great but will not give me a strike or spare. If I knock down all the pins on the first ball, it will still give me a second ball with nothing to shoot at. After the second ball with nothing to shoot at, it will score me 10 pins like they all went down but no strike. Same if it takes me two balls to get all the pins down. No strike or spare awarded, but scores me ten pins. Same for both players. Both steppers for strikes and spares work fine. Thanks for any help you can give me!!! Brian.

Steve at pinball resource has the schematic if you don't already have one. That is the best way to trace down problems like this. Could be in several locations. Any switches in the circuits that aren't making good contact for one. Also, the large steppers have multiple spider arms that sometimes may not make good contact with the rivets. I worked on one a few years ago and found those kinds of issues. Check all 10 pins to make sure that they register when they flip up. Great game! Enjoy.

#3 40 days ago

Thanks for the ideas. I have checked and rechecked all those pins 10 times!! I assume since it awards me 10 points it knows all the pins are down? I checked the large steppers and cleaned the wipers. I ordered a schematic today. I may be back for more ideas or help reading the schematic!! Thanks, Brian

#4 40 days ago

Sounds like a switch on the main bank of relays. I think it is the 1-10 switch stack. May need cleaned or adjusted.

#5 40 days ago

Thanks. The 1-10 is not getting triggered. When I do it manually, it works as it is supposed to. Ordered the schematic today. Hopefully that helps. I have been all over those bank contacts. I’m sure it will be something Easy, but sure is frustrating.

#6 40 days ago

Subscribed - I have a all star deluxe also.

#7 40 days ago

Check the coil to see if it is bad first.

#8 40 days ago
    Quoted from BBC:

Thanks. The 1-10 is not getting triggered. When I do it manually, it works as it is supposed to. Ordered the schematic today. Hopefully that helps. I have been all over those bank contacts. I’m sure it will be something Easy, but sure is frustrating.

If you are sure you checked the pin switches, verify the 1-10 coil is good. Using a meter, see if it is getting AC voltage. If so, you could have an open coil winding.

Also, make sure all Jones Plugs are firmly seated and the pins & sockets are corrosion free.

#9 40 days ago

The 1 - 10 Relay energizes through a series of switches in each pin Relays (1, 2, 3, ect.) so it could be a
    dirty or mis-adjusted set of contacts not making in any of the Pin Relays (in the Relay Bank) when those Relays
    are in the energized position. However, it may be as simple as a set of switches not making in the 1- 10 Relay
    itself when the 1 - 10 Relay is in the latched (not energized) position..
    I had a chance to pick up a bally All Star a couple of times, but until recently playing one, didn't realize
    how much I like it. I kinda have an eye out for one..
    BTW: Above is the way a Bally Ball Bowler functions. I'm sure All Star would be the same..

#10 40 days ago

Thanks guys. Checked the coil and it is good. I will keep hunting!! By the way, what is the 5 pin sw’s coil for? Not sure I have ever triggered that either. Thanks.

#11 40 days ago
    Quoted from BBC:

what is the 5 pin sw’s coil for?

I'm not sure about the 5 pin switch coil. I never worked on an All Star. Because All Star is an actual
    contact bowler, it could be so that on certain strike rolls, it needs that relay so that all ten pins go up
    so a strike is completed..
    I'd have to think that your bowler's Bank Relay is like United's and not the Bally's long stretch bank.
    If you can find the common switches in the Pin Relays that are in series with each other, you can first
    jump from the #1 Pin Relay (Ball Bowler schematic has it a yellow wire) to the 1- 10 Relay's terminal
    that has a jumper (not the one with orange) and see if the 1 -10 energizes. If not, try it on a common
    yellow and that should energize it. If it energizes from the #1 Pin Relay, then you can go to the next
    Pin Relay in the Bank (the ball bowler's is the 2-4) and jump from there and continue down the line
    until you find where the circuit is cut. If that doesn't seem to add up with your bowler, then maybe the
    All Star's schematic has differences..

#12 39 days ago

I just finished troubleshooting a strange issue on a different Bally bowler (they're all pretty much the same) and it ended up being something related to the shot relay.

In those relay banks, there are actuators (look like plastic spacers) on the ends of some of the switch blades that cause the next switch in the stack to actuate. I found that one of those actuators had fallen out. So, the relay coil was in the expected state, but not all the switches were operating correctly.

Don't assume because the coil is operating that all the switches are in the expected positions.

The red arrow shows where the actuator is missing.

Now, I have a question. I have extra blades with the actuators but has anyone found a fix for this that doesn't involve taking the switch stack apart?
    2020-01-08_12-02-46 (resized).jpg

#13 39 days ago
    Quoted from John_In_WI:

has anyone found a fix for this that doesn't involve taking the switch stack apart?

Perhaps a nylon bolt and nut (probably would have to be a #2) might work, but I always
    changed them out. It's a little pain, but not terribly bad. Takes a tiny flat screwdriver to
    separate the insulated spacers..

#14 39 days ago
    Quoted from John_In_WI:

Now, I have a question. I have extra blades with the actuators but has anyone found a fix for this that doesn't involve taking the switch stack apart?

I think the spacers were originally fixed to the switch leaves by pushing the narrow nib through the switch leaf hole and carefully melting the tip of the plastic nib to form something like a plastic mushrom. You might be able to salvage a spacer from your stash with enough of a nib remaining to reform it in the new switch leaf hole. You could try heating it a bit and pulling it out of the old switch, or cutting away small parts of the mushroom to remove the spacer from the old switch.

Be sure to identify the correct size of spacer before you spend time recovering it. They came in several different lengths.

/Mark

#15 39 days ago

I’ve gotten those spacers from PBR. Just need to know the length.

I used a soldering iron to melt and smash the tip so it would stay in place. It ended up loose, but it stayed in place.

2 weeks later
    #16 23 days ago

Sorry guys for the delay, just got around to taking a 3rd look after I got the manual. Wow was the manual helpful. Turns out I was missing a whole switch blade. Can’t believe I missed it. Took a thorough look last night and found it. Thanks everyone for the ideas. I appreciate the help!! Fun game and plays great now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 10.95
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 29.99
    $ 289.00
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside