You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canon060220201 001 (resized).JPG
20200124_072439 (resized).jpg
41AF222F-D65E-441E-AF2A-F96949984BF6 (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

New pinball machine owner - I have a '74 #AladdinsCastle that is fully functional (game plays, scoring works), except none of the lights are working. I've verified the 4 fuses I could locate are intact (zero resistance across them).

I suspect maybe the transformer may be partially shot. I've tried testing output voltages on what I *think* is the lighting circuit (white/green and yellow)...if those are the correct terminals then I read 0 volts.

Suggestions? If it's really shot, are there aftermarket options for power supplies?

Thanks in advance!

#2 1 year ago

Chances are if the rest of the game is working, the transformer is fine. You need to download the schematic. There is a lock relay that has 2 contacts for light control. Chances are the lock relay lighting contacts are not making contact or all your bulbs are burnt out. I'd start with measuring volts to and from the lock relay.

Google the internet pinball database for your game and schematic download.

#3 1 year ago

The schematic is on IPDB. Looking at it, there is a M/B switch on the game over relay that controls most of the lights. There’s also a M/B on the 2nd Coin relay that controls the rest.

Your coin door lights and looks like some inserts should be working though.

41AF222F-D65E-441E-AF2A-F96949984BF6 (resized).png
#4 1 year ago

When lights aren't working on a Bally machine, it's most likely caused by bad fuse holders. Even though the fuses are OK, the end of the fuse holders lose tension and don't press firmly against the fuse. It's a common problem.

First thing you should do to any Bally game of this vintage is replace the fuse holders. Even if it's not a problem now. It will be in the future.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

When lights aren't working on a Bally machine, it's most likely caused by bad fuse holders. Even though the fuses are OK, the end of the fuse holders lose tension and don't press firmly against the fuse. It's a common problem.
First thing you should do to any Bally game of this vintage is replace the fuse holders. Even if it's not a problem now. It will be in the future.

I second the fuse holders. They are horrible on Bally games of the em era.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks everyone - noticed last night that the fuse holders are indeed crap, but I thought I did my resistance check across the wires & not the fuses. Will double check that later. Also will check the make/break switches and post back with findings.

I do have a schematic (the redraw is AWESOME). Still seems that I should be seeing voltage across #8/#10 off the transformer, but could be I'm not getting a good connection.

#8 1 year ago

Yes, Bally fuse holders are crap. I replace them first thing. See photo below.

I see Aladdin doesn't use a lock relay. Put your meter on AC volts and measure between point 8 and 10 on the transformer and you should have around 6.5 Volts AC. Keep one lead on 8 and start measuring on one side of the fuses and the the other side. Follow the path to your bulbs and look at your wire color guide in the schematic.

20200124_072439 (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Yes, Bally fuse holders are crap. I replace them first thing. See photo below.
I see Aladdin doesn't use a lock relay. Put your meter on AC volts and measure between point 8 and 10 on the transformer and you should have around 6.5 Volts AC. Keep one lead on 8 and start measuring on one side of the fuses and the the other side. Follow the path to your bulbs and look at your wire color guide in the schematic.[quoted image]

Lock relay 6th from the left

canon060220201 001 (resized).JPG

#10 1 year ago

Confirmed both 6v fuse holders are bad (voltage flowing through fuse and clips, but not to soldered terminal. New fuse holders on order from Amazon - hopefully then I'll just have bulbs to replace.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside