• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Budski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201217_203556 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Budski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Looking for a little guidance on 2 issues on an Air Aces.
1. The fuse that controls the playfield lights blows when I push the start button when the machine is resetting. It plays but no lights. Where do I start since this is happening during the start cycle? So many things going on there I'm not sure what order to look at?
2. I ordered a new coil for the upper right small flipper from The Pinball Resource and installed it but it is much weaker than the original one on the left upper flipper, what could be causing this. I double checked the part numbers and they match.
Thanks in advanced for your help.
Dave

#3 3 years ago

Thank you for your guidance. Ill check those ideas out tonight and report back.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

If you need any pics, let me know. I own an Air Aces.

I see you are in York. I lived in York in 1973 thru 1975. I went to Jr. & Sr. High there during that time. Nice area to live in.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Check each light bulb socket and see if one of the wire tabs is bent and shorting. It takes some time but that worked for me in the past.

I assume you ordered and received the correct coil. Your schematic will list the correct numbers. If so, my first guess is to check the End Of Stroke switch at the flipper. It should open slightly just as the coil plunger reaches its fullest extension.

Fuse issue resolved. I checked each bulb and think it was one under a bracket that supports a stepper unit. The flipper I double checked the coil and it is correct. Cleaned and checked the EOS gap and it looks good. I need to check the wires. On the old coil it had looked like a none factory job and the previous owner may have had it soldered incorrectly.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Budski:

I see you are in York. I lived in York in 1973 thru 1975. I went to Jr. & Sr. High there during that time. Nice area to live in.

Quoted from Skidave:

If you need any pics, let me know. I own an Air Aces.

Could you send me a photo of the wiring on the small flipper coil on the right? I don't have a schematic for this pin. I want to check to see if its correct.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the photos.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Here you go. This photo is the upper left flipper. If you notice, I don't have the white jumper wire connected for the EOS. I found the correct coils the game calls for way too powerful for my taste. But it is wired correctly, just not using the EOS.
This configuration uses the power and hold windings together for a lower power flipper. Again, my preference.
[quoted image]

This photo did the trick. I had to replace the upper right coil since the plastic tube had overheated and mushroomed in the coil. I put the wires back where they had them and they had wired it incorrectly. I ran 2 jumpers like your photo and I now have full power. No I just need to clean up their solder job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 2.00
Tools
UpKick Pinball
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Budski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-air-aces-blowing-fuses?tu=Budski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.