(Topic ID: 202203)

Bally ABC Deluxe Bowler Info Needed

By Billc479

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3847[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3848[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3845[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3304[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3298[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3301[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3303[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3297[1] (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hey all - A Korean war vet (US Navy, AT3 radar tech, but that's another story) contacted me to fix his Bally ABC Deluxe Bowler - It has not worked in years, and he wanted to get it working. I've never worked on bowlers, so I was very hesitant. After seeing his machine, I'm hooked - I can fix this thing. I checked all the zero switches and steppers, and they all work fine. Relays looked good, movement was great, all in all, a very clean machine.

They are the third owners - its first life was in a tavern in a small Illinois town, followed by someone who bought it from the tavern, held on to it for five years, and then sold it to him The last tax stamp on it expired in May, 1968, so the machine is at least 50 years old. He's had it for over 40 years.

After playing and checking all the usual stuff - steppers work fine, score reels work fine, relays all appear fine and contacts all in place in holders, I finally found the problem - One of the Jones plugs had become partially disconnected. I have no idea how, nor does he, but when we fired it up, it worked fine except for one minor issue. Him and his wife were blown away - I thought she was going to cry.

The issue is the five pin always trips - My words may not be correct, but when ever the five pin is latched, the coil energizes and the spring pulls the five pin up. I told them it really does not effect game play, so go ahead and play it that way until I can figure this out. Something is telling the coil to energize and not hold the five pin down.

Trivial fact - bowling without the five pin was called nine pins, and became illegal due to gambling. To get around that, they added the five pin. Or so Ive been told.

So, here's where I need help: Who would have a schematic for this game? My research has shown they made this model for a long time, with different back glasses and operating modes. If there's not a schematic out there, where should I start looking for a reason to lift the five pin. All of the alley switches appeared to be open, so a wiring short somewhere?

Also, can anyone give me an estimated date of manufacture based on the backglass and serial number tags stapled inside the head. I've attached pictures of the machine, and I was blown away by just lifting the alley and letting it rest on its side. This thing is a tank, and he and his wife lowered it into their basement. Very impressive! You don't want to mess with Navy airedales!

#2 6 years ago

There are no pics here. I'd like to see some. I can't say for sure, but I thing
    I have the same bowler stored in a hard to get corner. Is the machine's cabinet
    basically green and has a lady in a bowling approach position on the backglass?
    But either way, I'm pretty sure your machine is a 1957. I may have schematics for
    that exact machine in the machine itself that I have, but it should be primarily the
    same as the Bally small ball bowlers..
    There should be a #5,8,9 trip relay in the same bank as where the #5 trip relay is.
    I'm thinking there's a set of switches that are closed (or at least slightly touching)
    when they're suppose to be open which is when that relay (#5,8,9) is not in the
    energized position (or maybe should say not in the tripped position)..
    Try sending some pics again, and/or you can e-mail me direct and send some..
    [email protected]

#3 6 years ago

Weird - the pics were in the preview. I'll try again. There is no decoration between the bowler numbers. The coin mechanism is for 10 cents.

IMG_3297[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3297[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3303[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3303[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3301[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3301[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3298[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3298[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3304[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3304[1] (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

That one came out shortly before the one that I had in mind,
    but it's a 1957..
    It looks like the strip that list the pin relays is still attached..
    The #5,8,9 trip pin relay is in the lower Relay Bank. I suspect that in
    that relay, there's a set of switches that are slightly touching or touch
    from vibration when the Bank coil energizes, thus energizes the #5
    Pin Trip Relay..

#5 6 years ago

Does the 5 pin stay up on reset.if so the relay may not be latching when the bank resets.or the contacts on the play board may be too close.I have a Bally abc bowling lanes,not the deluxe,but it looks very similar.

#6 6 years ago

The five pin will drop down, but the coil energizes as soon as the contact on the side is made by the crank on the pin. It just seems like the signal to put the five pin up is there all the time. The other pins latch just fine, and that contact on the side closes when the pins are down.

I checked the contacts on the play board, and they all looked good.

I'm searching for a schematic, but I can't source one, I'm going to follow Mopar's advice and look for a bad contact on the 5,8,9 relay. I'll let everyone know what I find. I'm planning on going back there sometime next week.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

look for a bad contact on the 5,8,9 relay.

Yes, look at the 5,8,9 Relay carefully. Check if a set of switches are touching
    when the 5,8,9, Relay is in the reset position, or a set are very close together
    and need a little separation. I've restored countless Ball Bowlers including
    Ballys, and if the Roll Over switches are properly capped (and their solder
    taps aren't touching like you had stated), I would bet it's a set of contacts
    in the 5,8,9, Relay..

8 months later
    #8 5 years ago

Update: Finally got back to the machine - I spent several hours checking/rechecking contacts, wires, cleaning contacts, etc. I could never get the #5 relay to reset - the five pin was always up. I was about to throw in the towel when I finally noticed a piece of metal in the little box of stuff they had picked up out of the bottom of the machine. The reason the #5 pin would not reset was because the switch actuator was broken. (I sometimes chase rabbits down holes! Never occurred to me that there would be a mechanical problem.)

I contacted Steve at PBR, he did not have anything, and suggested getting the piece made. Before I go that route, I'm asking if someone out there has the piece I need. I've attached pictures of the relay, the broken piece, and other angles so you can see what I'm looking for. The middle pic shows how the actuator piece should look.

I also found a date inside the machine - final check was 10/19/56.

If anyone has this piece, or a source, please contact me. Thanks

IMG_3845[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3845[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3847[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3847[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3848[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3848[1] (resized).JPG
    #9 5 years ago

Oh yes, as soon as the 5 pin reset and closed it's own contact (under the pin hood), it's coil would
    immediately and momentarily energize..
    If you send me a PM with your mailing address, I'll send that piece out to you.. (T)

1 week later
    #10 5 years ago

Special Shout out for Mopar - the part arrived, and the machine is now working. Thank you so very much. It was awesome to see this vet leave his walker and start playing the machine. He is one happy shuffle bowler player.

BTW - We found a manufacturer tag saying the machine was final tested on 10/19/1956.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Special Shout out for Mopar - the part arrived, and the machine is now working. Thank you so very much. It was awesome to see this vet leave his walker and start playing the machine. He is one happy shuffle bowler player.
    BTW - We found a manufacturer tag saying the machine was final tested on 10/19/1956.

Just wanted to reply to this and say again thanks to Mopar. he helped me out last year getting my unit up and running! He's good people for sure!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

We found a manufacturer tag saying the machine was final tested on 10/19/1956.

Maybe final tested, but I'm pretty sure Bally came out with their first multi player shuffle that scored regulation
    in the beginning of 1957..
    Thanks Guys, and glad I was able to help. I know what it's like to be in a little bind.. (T)

4 months later
    #13 5 years ago

I was wondering if this machine had any supporting documentation? I'm looking for ALL troubleshooting documentation that came with the Bally ABC Bowling Lanes besides the schematic and operating book that can be had on E**Y.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from StahlMaster:

I was wondering if this machine had any supporting documentation? I'm looking for ALL troubleshooting documentation that came with the Bally ABC Bowling Lanes besides the schematic and operating book that can be had on E**Y.

PBR might also have that stuff. The owner's manual is invaluable for troubleshooting. It has much more detail than many other manufacturers I have seen. All the stepper units are diagrammed out showing exactly what each contact does. Relays as well. Very helpful. If you haven't already tracked one down, I highly recommend you do if you're having issues with your game.

2 years later
    #15 2 years ago

Hello,

Not sure if this thread would still be valid. I have recently purchase the same Bally Deluxe ABC Bowler you show. Just wondering if you had success restoring.
    I have cleaned all contacts and steppers but still not fully operational.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Thank you
    ffontana78

#16 2 years ago

I apologize I see you did get the machine working properly. Still have a couple questions..
    Thank you,

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ffontana78:

Hello,
    Not sure if this thread would still be valid. I have recently purchase the same Bally Deluxe ABC Bowler you show. Just wondering if you had success restoring.
    I have cleaned all contacts and steppers but still not fully operational.
    I have a couple questions if you don't mind.
    Thank you
    ffontana78

The one in the flea market at Pinfest?

2 weeks later
    #18 2 years ago

Fontana - What are your questions?

5 months later
    #19 2 years ago

I appreciate the responses. I did hook up with a source to help me through the restore. The unit is up and working and appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-abc-deluxe-bowler-info-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.