Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally Eight Ball outhole SDB (resized).jpg
4F9D44AB-F038-423F-8A9B-A9D65C60AD91 (resized).jpeg
E8EE6EC2-F0C9-424B-ACC7-DAB296AB0EFE (resized).jpeg
Bally Eight ball (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a Bally 8 ball machine I am working on. The lost ball back solenoid kicker that pushes the ball back to the plunger. I cannot figure out where the wire is supposed to go. The wire on the solenoid is brown and yellow I have no idea where it goes. Hopefully that is the issue. Any assistance to where on what board that goes would be helpful.

Awesome Forum

Joe

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from jrp758:

The lost ball back solenoid kicker that pushes the ball back to the plunger. I cannot figure out where the wire is supposed to go. The wire on the solenoid is brown and yellow I have no idea where it goes

I'm confused. There should be 2 wires attached to the solenoid. The yellow wire is usually the power wire. It should show +/- 43VDC and be attached to the banded side of the diode. The diode connects the two lugs and the banded side has a white ring on it. Looking at schematics, a solid green wire should be on the other solenoid lug. It connects to the SDB J5 pin 10. It grounds the solenoid when commanded by MPU and causes it to fire.

#3 3 years ago

That's for the kickout solenoid on the left outlane.

#4 3 years ago

I neglected in a past post to mention where I got the schematic & manual

from the linked game Eight Ball ... click the IPDB link .... you can scroll down to get them.

the schematic isn't(?) paginated ( or it is I'm confused ) so it makes it a bit more difficult to read.

I screen caped a bunch of stuff to try & take the mystery out of reading them

Bally Eight ball (resized).jpgBally Eight ball (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

This is where I am at. With j1 and j5. I think I am a mess now.

4F9D44AB-F038-423F-8A9B-A9D65C60AD91 (resized).jpeg4F9D44AB-F038-423F-8A9B-A9D65C60AD91 (resized).jpegE8EE6EC2-F0C9-424B-ACC7-DAB296AB0EFE (resized).jpegE8EE6EC2-F0C9-424B-ACC7-DAB296AB0EFE (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago

It appears that you have the brown/yellow on the correct pin.

... you are talking about the "outhole solonoid" that kicks the ball into the "shooter-lane" correct?

There is an "side return kicker" that kicks the ball back into the playfeild on a left lane drain when lit ( a kickback)

Also could you verify the color wires on your "side return kicker" and your "bottom bumper" (pop bumper)

sigh: there is a service bulletin https://www.ipdb.org/files/760/Bally_1977_Eight_Ball_Service_Bulletin_Schematic_Errors_October_1_1977.pdf

There is a fuse between the flippers & the outhole kicker: Do you have an ohm meter to check that fuse? You will want to replace it with the correct value !!!! a 1 amp slow-blo

#7 3 years ago

I currently have the fuse bypassed just connecting the two wires together while trying to get this to work. That wouldn’t be the culprit would it?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jrp758:

I currently have the fuse bypassed just connecting the two wires together while trying to get this to work. That wouldn’t be the culprit would it?

Just keep the fire extinguisher handy

do a solenoid test, check voltage across the lugs of the solonoid, ( probably under the apron ) if you get a voltage but the solonoid doesn't fire then you may have an open winding. (replace the solenoid)

if no voltage do a resistance check on the solenoid to see if it is shorted. .... if it did short I probably first blew the fuse then subsequently blew a transistor on the SDB

Think it's "Q4" on the SDB

Bally Eight Ball outhole SDB (resized).jpgBally Eight Ball outhole SDB (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-8-ball-fonzi-issue-stumped-bad?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.