Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1033 (resized).jpg
IMG_1037 (resized).jpg
IMG_1039 (resized).JPG
IMG_1038 (resized).JPG
IMG_1040 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello,

I have a new project I'm working on. The LED on the MPU is locked on (no flicker). The board is getting +5.0 vDC at TP1. I tried jumping R1/R3 to ground per suggestion of repair guides, but I must have grounded the wrong side of the resistors (left side) as the green LED instantly went off and no longer comes on (a component must now be open is my guess?). Also, pin 40 of U9 is only 0.78 vDC, but should be 5vDC (reading before I screwed up).

Here is a pic of the board. Looks like there could be some acid damage.

Thoughts on where to start?

Thanks

IMG_1033 (resized).jpgIMG_1033 (resized).jpgIMG_1037 (resized).jpgIMG_1037 (resized).jpgIMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You probably blew transistor Q1, which makes sense since you no longer have a working reset circuit to put the 5volts up on pin 40 of the cpu chip.
Since you have to remove all the components in the bottom there anyway to clean up the corrosion, you'll be rebuilding that section as you do that.
Get the leaky nicad off the board now.....

Thanks for the help. Nicad is cut off the board. I’ll buy an MPU repair kit. Will probably build a test fixture as well to test out of game as I go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-78-lost-world-mpu-locked-i-screwed-up?tu=midcoastsurf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.