Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

66C92E2D-8B08-443F-A7F5-52E8CF8F9365 (resized).jpeg
20190915_131109 (resized).jpg
20190915_145431 (resized).jpg
20190915_133850 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

BALLY SEVEN DIGIT DISPLAY EXPANSION INFORMATION

Bally / Stern replacement MPU Revision 15 and later supports seven digit displays with some wiring modifications for the following games.

Dolly Parton
Future Spa
Harlem Globetrotters
Kiss
Mystic
Nitro Ground Shaker
Paragon
Playboy
Rolling Stones
Silverball Mania
Space Invaders
Six Million Dollar Man
Viking
Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom

Because these games use the PIA port that is normally for digit 7 to control the sound board additional hardware and software is required for seven digit displays.

7 DIGIT DISPLAY SETUP INFORMATION

EXTRA ITEMS REQUIRED THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE MPU:

22awg wire
Wire insulation. Shrink tubing or equivalent.
Zip wire ties.
1pc - Four pin 0.100" Housing. Molex 22-01-2047 or equivalent.
3pcs - 0.100" crimp pin. Molex 08-52-012 3 or equivalent.
4pcs - 0.156" crimp pin. Molex 08-50-0108 or equivalent. *** If your game is using IDC connectors at the displays you will not need this.
7 digit displays. Plasma or LED will work fine. If using Stern 7 digit plasma display board solder bridge connector pin 11 and pin 12 together.

INSTALLATION

Run a new wire to pin 12 of each display connector. Start at the last display in the wiring harness run and follow it between all seven digit displays (not the credit display). If you have IDC connectors use a punch down tool or a flat blade screw driver and let the wire pass through the connector except for the last display in the wiring harness run. If you have molex connectors preform a double crimp at each display besides the last one in the wiring harness run. Keep the wire long enough past the first display in the wiring harness run to reach the top left corner of the backbox. The green wire in the picture below is the added connections.

20190915_133850 (resized).jpg

Move MPU J1 Pin 5 to the new added connector MPU J6 Pin 1. This is a typically a white wire with no stripe for digit drive five. You may need to extend the length of this wire if it will not comfortably reach MPU J6.

Move MPU J1 Pin 6 to the new added connector MPU J6 Pin 3, This is typically a white wire with a black stripe for digit drive six. You may need to extend the length of this wire if it will not comfortably reach MPU J6

Connect the wire you ran between pin 12 of each display to MPU J6 Pin 4. This is for digit drive seven.

Move both display count jumpers from 6D to 7D. 7D jumpers is only used for the special 7 digit expansion software, otherwise 6D is always used.

20190915_145431 (resized).jpg

Zip tie and add all the extra wiring to the wire support clips.

Set the game software to the seven digit display version and turn on MPU game option DIP switch 21. See the game selection setup sheet for more information about software.

Install the seven digit displays and you are finished.
Over exposed image to see all digits lit up.

Thank you Oliver Okaegi for the idea and software.

*** Note about Meteor Seven Digit *** Wire digit seven of each display to MPU J1 Pin 7.

MPUs can be purchased in the Pinside marketplace or at https://nvram.weebly.com

#3 10 months ago

Great stuff, very welcome feature addition!

#4 10 months ago

I like it!!!

#5 10 months ago

Thanks for your contributions to the hobby!

Platinum trader, buy all products with confidence!

1 month later
#6 8 months ago

barakandl do you know of anyone that has converted their Meteor to 7 digit displays using your MPU? Working on getting the parts together now. Thanks.

3 months later
#7 4 months ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

barakandl do you know of anyone that has converted their Meteor to 7 digit displays using your MPU? Working on getting the parts together now. Thanks.

Last night I rolled past my previous high score on my 3 ball game. It was 828,280 and when my final score rolled over 1 million, it showed 24,400 or something close to that with the first left digit out of course. It couldn't register my high score as I went over 999,999?? Is that true for a normal ROM code 6 digit diplay Meteor?

#8 4 months ago

Is there a reason why Embryon can not be converted?

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Last night I rolled past my previous high score on my 3 ball game. It was 828,280 and when my final score rolled over 1 million, it showed 24,400 or something close to that with the first left digit out of course. It couldn't register my high score as I went over 999,999?? Is that true for a normal ROM code 6 digit diplay Meteor?

On standard 6 digit displays, this is correct behavior. Are you saying you've converted to 7 digit displays, but this is happening?

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

On standard 6 digit displays, this is correct behavior. Are you saying you've converted to 7 digit displays, but this is happening?

No, still have the original 6 digit displays.

#11 4 months ago

The cheaper way is to use a "divide by 10" rom. Makes 1000 pts only worth 100.

#12 4 months ago

Great mod.

66C92E2D-8B08-443F-A7F5-52E8CF8F9365 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#13 56 days ago

Wish this worked on some of the other early stern names like Lectronamo and Magic.

#14 56 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Wish this worked on some of the other early stern names like Lectronamo and Magic.

It's coming. I have Magic just about finished... You in a position to beta test it? i.e. do you have an EPROM programmer? Note if you're using a factory MPU-100 board, you'll need to upgrade it to support two 2732 EPROMs.

#15 55 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

It's coming. I have Magic just about finished... You in a position to beta test it? i.e. do you have an EPROM programmer? Note if you're using a factory MPU-100 board, you'll need to upgrade it to support two 2732 EPROMs.

I do not have a programmer and yes I’m using the factory board. Point me in the correct direction on how to upgrade the mpu and I would not mind testing.

#16 55 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I do not have a programmer.

Have you got someone that can program 2732 EPROMs for you? Note I'm talking about Magic 7 digit (real and virtual) support for now and the update also includes many other enhancements. This will be used as the template for other Stern MPU-100 games to support millions scores.

Quoted from wolffcub:

Point me in the correct direction on how to upgrade the mpu and I would not mind testing.

Here's the MPU-100 board mod to support two 2732 EPROMs. Note your factory 9316 PROMs won't work with this modification.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin#post-5270218

Of course barakandl's MPU board will be able to directly support the ROM code upgrade.

PM me when you work out how you're going to get your EPROMs programmed.

#17 54 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you got someone that can program 2732 EPROMs for you? Note I'm talking about Magic 7 digit (real and virtual) support for now and the update also includes many other enhancements. This will be used as the template for other Stern MPU-100 games to support millions scores.

Here's the MPU-100 board mod to support two 2732 EPROMs. Note your factory 9316 PROMs won't work with this modification.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin#post-5270218
Of course barakandl's MPU board will be able to directly support the ROM code upgrade.
PM me when you work out how you're going to get your EPROMs programmed.

Stupid question but what kind of eprom programmer is required? are the fairly reasonable in cost? Is it something a dummy like me could learn to do?

What are the other enhancements you mentioned?

#18 54 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Stupid question but what kind of eprom programmer is required? are the fairly reasonable in cost? Is it something a dummy like me could learn to do?

What are the other enhancements you mentioned?

EPROM programmers are a whole other discussion, let's not side track barakandl's fine product thread with it.
I'll be opening up a thread on the Magic code update once I finish off a few tiny things. In the mean time, I'll message you about some of the new enhancements.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Massapequa, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 157.00
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
4,300 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Lisle, IL
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pindependent
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 9.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside