(Topic ID: 131417)

Bally 7 Digit - 10k still iffy after replacing relevant parts?

By jay

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm having a really annoying problem with a Bally 7 digit display. One of four displays in this game was toasted—literally. It had a hole burned through the PCB. The other 4 displays (including the 6 digit credit/ball) had the 10k digit flickering as can be seen in the video attached. I fixed the 6 digit and one 7 digit by replacing only the 4543 and R44. The display in the video however has had the 10k digit parts Q5, Q11 and R44 replaced along with the 4543 segment driver but still exhibits the same flicker. The new 4543 seems slightly better than the old one but only ever so slightly. The video is of the original part in a new socket on the board. The 9.1K (IIRC) resister at R44 was visibly burnt but was still measuring ~9k when I pulled and replaced it. R44 also shows heat damage on both the displays that I've yet to replace it on. Is there something else in the segment driver circuit that I need to look at? None of the parts check out bad with a DMM but that isn't always foolproof.

#2 8 years ago

Looks like you're having problems with the digit circuit, not the segment circuits.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, I replaced the digit circuit parts (relevent to the 10k digit) to no avail.

#4 8 years ago

Did you replace resistor R9 (100k) yet?

#5 8 years ago

Re-flow the pins on the display if the problem is unique to this one display. If the problem is on all displays, disconnect and reconnect displays to determine if one of the displays is causing the problem.

If no display is the cause of all displays exhibiting the flickering then reseat J1 on the MPU. The display drive and strobe originate
    through this connector - pins 5 (drive) 25 (strobe.) Could be a connector problem at the MPU.

#6 8 years ago

I've reflowed pins but have not replaced R9 as it is does not show any signs of failure visibly or measurably, but I have plenty of 100k resistors lying around to have a go.

Also, the problem was on all displays (in varying amounts) but two are working now as noted in the first post. I forgot to mention that this problem follows the displays around no matter which player location or even which game I test them in, so it shouldn't be a bad MPU or connector. Same goes for the working ones... they're fine in P1-4 or another game.

1 week later
    #7 8 years ago

Resolved this. It was a single bad resistor on the alltek board (next to the connector for the displays) causing this. It appeared to follow the board but was actually just failing when the game was loaded down with more boards plugged in. Found the failure point comparing to a known good alltek and fixed it.

#8 8 years ago

I have seen the pull resistors get smoked for the displays on the MPU j1 connector. Not sure what happens, each time i have encountered it was just on a random MPU repair, i did not have the game that burnt the pull resistor. I would assume HV gets into logic level signal some how.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-7-digit-10k-still-iffy-after-replacing-relevant-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.