Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My first Bally 6803 game/project is this MotorDome.
Installed a new 6803 MPU board pretested w/ MotorDome EPROMS and NVRAM (Nice work Fred Swemmer!)
Game will boot up and thank goodness the displays all work!
However I get two errors before game will full boot into attract mode.
RIGHT BUMPER and TOP LANE P.
I'm guessing there are switch errors on those two for now but when the game boots and the DISPLAYS start spelli8ng out 1-4 Players Can Play. Insert Quarters.etc.

I toggle the coin door credit switch and get no response..from either switch.

Haven't educated myself on the NUMPAD ALPHA interface pad..how to use it.

Should the game at least start with the two switch errors or do they need to be resolved for it to start a game?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

It is just notifying you that those two switches are stuck closed. On any "new" (to you) 6803 game you should "install factory" before doing anything. It will clear up a lot of errors. Also you can do a switch test and see if the coin door switches and credit button are working.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

It is just notifying you that those two switches are stuck closed. On any "new" (to you) 6803 game you should "install factory" before doing anything. It will clear up a lot of errors. Also you can do a switch test and see if the coin door switches and credit button are working.

I've got some reading to do for sure..Not sure how to install Factory Defaults yet bu I'm sure it's in the manual.
The coin door tiny little micro button works to end the switch test.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Once the game is "booted" with the two closed switches, how would I set it to free play or can I?

Sorry for such a basic question. The digital pad is working when I tried it the other day. Not sure what to do with it yet.
Newbie on this 6803 still.

#5 6 years ago

I have info up on resetting to factory defaults on the 6803 here (under compatibility heading):

http://pinitech.com/products/6116_nvram.php

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I have info up on resetting to factory defaults on the 6803 here (under compatibility heading):
http://pinitech.com/products/6116_nvram.php

Worked with this pin tonight.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I installed a new Swemmer 6803 MPU/DRIVER board with NVRAM.

Game boots up, stalls at the two closed switch error on displays for a bit, then goes on to attract mode.

When I press the test switch inside the coindoor (next to volume control) , switch test will start again and display the two problem switches. The displays tell me to press TEST again to end the test. I press the button but the test will not exit.
I know the switch was pressed as the display will jump to switch test on the displays as thou I started it but the only way to exit is to power down.

Acebathound, you mention to press TEST on the keypad in the compatibility link (NVRAM) but there is no TEST button on it.

When I try the coin slot drop switches to try to add credits, the switch test will show the right and left coin chute/slot closed when I hold it down. But no credits will add. I'm not even sure if there is a way to set FreePlay on this model (I am a dinosaur on this model) so far.

Not sure if the issue is the NVRAM not able to let me factory reset the game or if there is some other issue. Suggestions are welcomed!

#7 6 years ago

You'll want to try to fix those switch errors so you're not dealing with that each time. Seems like switch blades would be making contact when they shouldn't be for the pop bumper & top lane (assuming rollover).

The test button is inside the coin door, like the old Bally games. Once you press that it's in "test mode" and you then use the keypad. You'll want to download your game's manual from IPDB.org and reference the section(s) on using the keypad to test the game.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1633/Bally_1986_Motordome_English_Operating_Manual_with_paginated_schematics.pdf

What I posted on the PINITECH link is basically a short-cut cheat-sheet of the steps to reset to Factory Defaults on those games & then set the game for FREE PLAY.

Referenced in the Motor Dome manual above on page 1-3..
"Free Play Enter 0 or 65; O=Coins, 65=Free Play"

#8 6 years ago

Acebathound,
Thanks for the info. I read up on it in the manual from your link. I also downloaded a copy for reference.
I guess I will take care of those two switches that are stuck closed first.
I am not sure if that is the issue why I cannot exit SWITCH TEST without powering down.
I mean SWITCH TEST sees the ball in the OUTHOLE so that's supposed to be there before a game would start.
Not sure the keypad I have is 100% either. After powering up pin and it's in ATTRACT MODE, if I press the upper left button on the keypad, it toggles the hole eject solenoid in the far upper right of the playfield. Not sure if that's normal..

#9 6 years ago

Update: spent a few hours today trying to figure out why I get message that the Top Lane "P" is CLOSED and the RIGHT POP BUMPER is CLOSED. Inspection shows they are not CLOSED.
Also cannot exit Switch Test either. I have to turn pin off/then on.
Please watch this video if you choose and see if you have any revelations that I need to know. I am 6803 SYSTEM uneducated at this point.

I am so sorry I had phone sideways but I am not near the pin to redo the video.

Thank you!!!

#10 6 years ago

first don't record videos in vertical. and expecially don't record them in vertical and then change to horizontal half way through the video!

next, with game off, removed CPU connector J4. turn game on. if you still get the switch error message, you have a CPU board problem. No message, then the problem is on the playfield. as someone mentioned, clear that message before doing anything else.

used the 6803 keypad is a bit of a pain. get used to the 'enter' and 'a' and 'b' keys. you'll be using them a lot...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

first don't record videos in vertical. and expecially don't record them in vertical and then change to horizontal half way through the video!

Yes, I apologized earlier for that! I had left the site where the pin is and couldn't re-record.

next, with game off, removed CPU connector J4. turn game on. if you still get the switch error message, you have a CPU board problem. No message, then the problem is on the playfield. as someone mentioned, clear that message before doing anything else.
used the 6803 keypad is a bit of a pain. get used to the 'enter' and 'a' and 'b' keys. you'll be using them a lot...

Will try it and let you know what I get. Does it make a difference that this board has NVRAM vs BATTERY in trying to reset it?
The board was tested in a Special Forces w/ NVRAM before it came to me. Could that be why I can't get into the FACTORY RESET?

#12 6 years ago

i don't use NVram in anything other than games that already have a socket for a 6264 ram. but that's just me. i prefer the (less than 50 cent option) of a coin battery. so i can't tell you if an nvram changes anything. off the neck, i would say it's not the problem.

those key pad do get pretty beat up. also make sure you have the connector attached to the CPU board that uses the key pad (it's the one next to J4, whatever number that is.)

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

i don't use NVram in anything other than games that already have a socket for a 6264 ram. but that's just me. i prefer the (less than 50 cent option) of a coin battery. so i can't tell you if an nvram changes anything. off the neck, i would say it's not the problem.
those key pad do get pretty beat up. also make sure you have the connector attached to the CPU board that uses the key pad (it's the one next to J4, whatever number that is.)

Can't help the way the board came. I like the fact it has the NVRAM but feel it's causing my issue resetting the factory defaults.
I can easily pull off the NVRAM but I don't have the original RAM chip to put back in it's place.
I also would have to solder on a battery coin cell holder or external battery (Board has connectors).
I am speculating here but I think the NVRAM still has settings programmed in it for Special Forces. Why would the upper right
solenoid fire when I press GAME on the keypad? What should the game do when that is pressed?

I haven't had a chance to try your earlier suggestion on pulling J4 connector but I will tonight. The game is not at my place but 4 miles up the street.

https://ksarcade.net/swemmer-6803mpu.html

#14 6 years ago

Update:
---------
I made some progress tonight.
I pulled Connector J4 off the MPU board like cfh suggested and powered up so I could get into the settings. PAD responded and I reset game to factory defaults w/ CODE 65 in Basic Settings.
I was able to do it finally!

So game is running now. I don't have errors on those two switches anymore so it was have been a CATCH-22 where I couldn't reset the NVRAM unless I pulled the J4 temporarily to accomplish.

Game is rough..it needs some love but in pretty good shape.
I have NO SOUND though. Should the LED on the SOUND BOARD stay ON or just blink 3 times at power up?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-startup-sequence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.