4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Donman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dimperio620:

I have been working on bringing a Bally Special Force pinball back from the dead. I have the game playing now but have one last obstacle. The button to get into the settings and that allows you to use the keypad isn't working. I have another Bally 6803 so I'm familiar with how this works and how to use the kep\ypad. I looked at the wiring and it looks good and I also replaced this button. I even cut the wires further back in the machine to verify that it wasn't the connector that all of the wires from the coin door use. My question is where do these two wires connect in the back box? Can I simply jimmy rig a switch out of the back box to access the setting menu. Has anyone done that? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you have the manual, you can see the keypad layout in the cabinet wiring diagram. I looked at the one on IPDB, but its too low of resolution to be of any use. Also, the self test switch is shown on page 4 of 7 for the 6803, but again, I can't read where its going.

Check the wires for continuity from the keypad to backbock. You should be able to jumper the connection, but it looks like there is resistor in line with the switch.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dimperio620:

I was pretty confident that pulling J4 was going to allow me to use the button inside the door to access the settings. I was wrong. I did some bulletproofing and installed new diodes and capacitors on all of my targets that spell the word bomb. I have no switch errors anymore when the machine starts. The machine now plays as it should and seems to be playing correctly. My last problem still is that I can't use the button to change the settings to free play and three balls. I'm still not sure if it is a wire thing or possibly something wrong with the board
    What would happen if I took this 6803 board and plugged it into another 6803 machine that I know the button works on? I basically just want to use the other machine to program the free play and 3 ball settings. What kind of problems would I have if I plugged the 6803 board with different game roms into another machine. I would disconnect j4. It sounds like a bad idea to me and that could possibly cause me some board problems. Anyone try this before?

I think you'll get switch errors doing this (and the solenoids wouldn't be the same addresses), which would prevent you from getting into test mode and/or confuse the MPU.

Swap the roms, and you should be okay.

But you should try to fix the problem, if you're willing. Have you tried just jumpering around the switch (maybe the switch doesn't work)?

#8 4 years ago

Okay, I looked at the manual for Strange Science (the game after Special Force), and the scans are much better.

According to the manual, the self test switch is located at J3 1 on the mpu.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-settings-problem?tu=djblouw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.