5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrsodapop
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

You generally don't want to stick probe leads on XTAL and EXTAL pins of a cpu that is using a cyrstal setup like in this board. The crystal circuit is really sensitive and you will likely stop the oscillation by doing so.

The real story about if the clock is working is the 'E' pin on the CPU. 'E' is the external clock and you can safely probe this. Ideally you want a DMM or scope to check the frequency of the E pin. It should be right at 0.895mhz. VDC reading of 0v or 5v is an indication the cpu or the crystal is not working. The schematic i am looking at is hard to read but I think the 'E' is pin40 of the 6803 chip.

For the RAM chip put a logic probe on the /CS input at P18. When you power up the game it should go high briefly then start pulsing. If it never pulses or reads 0v or 5v always during the power on self test routine i'd check Q6(if always low or 0v), U9, and D6 (if always high but pulse at U9 P6).

U5 U6 and the 6803 must be good too. If you did any soldering work around those chips I'd be double checking it. You should be able to check U5 U6 by pulling the ROMs and PIAs out of the board. Power it up and all address/data go active so then you can check for pulsing on the output sides of U5 and U6.

Make sure the ram chip has power too at P24. Schem shows it P24 of the ram connects to V_AUX which i can't find on the drawing right away. Usually that means it is tied to the reset section... but should read 5v.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mrsodapop:

Also, you mentioned having 5v @ P24/RAM, I only have 2.45v
I don't seem to have an extra 6803 cpu ic, so ordered a replacement. Am I wrong to believe that this is probably my main issue?

VCC of the RAM chip should be 5v. That is problem. What is the voltage on the reset pin of the CPU chip, pin 6? I coudn't location the ram chip's Vcc connection by looking at the schematic, but it is probably from the reset section.

If the CPU P40, external clock, is stuck high and the crystal is good the CPU chip itself is probably bad. Check the reset at cpu chip p6 tho first. If the CPU is stuck in reset the external clock is probably shut down.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mrsodapop:

Ok, went back and did some checking/rechecking. For some reason I now have 5.8vdc @ NVRAM(U4/P24), other than that no change. Checking CPU pin6 I get 4.9v. CPU pin 40 still stuck high.
Thanks for your help
Aaron

*edit*

I found V-AUX on a 6803 schematic. Make sure the 82 ohm resistor at R27 is in spec. 5.8v is a bit much at the NVRAM and R27 drops the 12v down for the RAM.

But if P40 of the 6803 is always high, the reset is high, and you put in a new crystal the 6803 chip itself is likely bad. P40 should be pulsing when the CPU reset pin is high. Try a new known good 6803 CPU chip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-mpu-boot-issue?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.