• Latest reply 5 years ago by biyf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180323_090057 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've been doing lots of reading and learning here but this is my first post.

Picked up my first pinball machine a couple months ago and have been slowly getting it back to 100%; it's a Lady Luck from 1986 using the Bally 6803 MPU and a Cheap Squeak sound board.

My current stumper is that the background music that always plays, and the tune that plays when the 10x bonus is triggered have never played. Basically all music is not present, but all sound effects are present and work as they are supposed to.

PIA? Need new sound roms?

Thanks so much for your help!
David

#2 6 years ago

What is your setting in Register 27?

20180323_090057 (resized).jpg20180323_090057 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Ah, great point! I am sure I tried all of them except for 0, but maybe I better double-check that as my keypad is a little bit iffy and I didn't notice any difference when I set 1 through 3. Seems like it needs to be set to 3; may not have actually gotten that register set properly. Will check and report back.

#4 6 years ago

I suggest to replace the old sound pot, they are usually the cause of sound issues to.

#5 6 years ago

Register 27 is indeed set to 3. I tried 0-3 but still no "music" or background sounds.

#6 6 years ago

Well, my next thought then would be pull the board and examine the traces around the sound roms.
I'm far from an expert so hopefully you will get a second opinion or more soon!

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for your help, will check those. I did reflow all the connector pins on the sound board and the 6803 seems fine but can reflow those, too. The sound pot seems fine after deoxit treatment but I do have a spare. Not sure why there's a volume pot on the board and another on the door unless they work in tandem?

10 months later
#8 5 years ago

It's been almost a year, and I'm still plugging away at this thing, but no luck yet. I've replaced both U3 and U4 sound roms and the 6803 on the cheap squeak, as well as the volume pot. Sound test #93 does not generate any sound at all with sound setting #27 set to 3. However, if I set #27 to 1, I do get a repeating sound on the sound test. Still no background sounds. I've reflowed the pins on the cheap squeat. My assumption is that the MPU is not sending the trigger to the Cheap squeak to generate the background sounds, but would appreciate any pointers on how to figure out where the problem is. The only other idea I had was that my cheap squeak jumpers could be wrong, but while I find reference to jumper settings for other pins that use the cheap squeak, I can't find a reference for how they should be set for Lady Luck. (Jumpers 4, 7, and 10 are "in" on my board and the sound roms are 2764s).

Thanks for the help!

#9 5 years ago

I sent mine off to a guy on ebay and he got all sounds working and replaced all caps and a resister

#10 5 years ago

I think the jumpers should be 2, 4,7 and 11 for 2764’s.

#11 5 years ago

Issue is fixed! Ended up being intermittent connection on the MPU (not the cheap squeak). Reflowed the connectors on the MPU J5 and the music is there!

BTW thanks for the jumper info - they are actually 2,4,7, 10, and 11 which is correct.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-lady-luck-not-all-sounds-present and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.