bally 6803 keyboard - beat the clock

By Donman

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

I bought a new 6803 keypad to my beat the clock....
But when i press the buttons not all of it works, maybe im doing it wrong.
Anyone know if there is a walkthrough, for me the keypad make no commen sense....

#2 11 months ago

Did you hit the menu button on the inside of the coin door?

#3 11 months ago

Download the manual here to help with the menu commands on the keypad:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/212/Bally_1985_Beat_the_Clock_Manual.pdf

#4 11 months ago

Thanks yes i did and i can press some om the numbers on the keyboard. Ill look into the manual.

#5 11 months ago

When I first got my 6803, the connections on the keypad were loose at best. It’s a good idea to replace the clips if you confirm the keypad is acting up. But first, try and see if you are hitting buttons that aren’t activated in the menu and sub menus you’re in through the link from Mrjamma

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-keypad-connection-restore-motordome

#6 11 months ago

Bally used an IDC connector for the keyboard, a connection begging to be abused. I recommend replacing it with a KK style.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

When I first got my 6803, the connections on the keypad were loose at best. It’s a good idea to replace the clips if you confirm the keypad is acting up. But first, try and see if you are hitting buttons that aren’t activated in the menu and sub menus you’re in through the link from Mrjamma
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-keypad-connection-restore-motordome

Thanks, but all the keypads are working just not showing the right number in the display.
I also did a connector test for every pin and it looks fine.
Im trying to find what IC is handling he touch from the keypad, my first was thiunking about U16 on the mpu but its not.

8 months later
#8 82 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Bally used an IDC connector for the keyboard, a connection begging to be abused. I recommend replacing it with a KK style.

Its very strange, I tested all connection and they are working.
But in test i CANT access the numbers

clear+game works alsr 0 and enter
1 shows 1
2 shows 0
3 shows 1
4 shows 4
5 shows 7
6 shows 4
7 toogle 5 and 7
8 shows 8
9 shows 9

And i need to go to 32 to set it to free play, so im kind stuck.

New MPU and Keyboard thats strange

#9 82 days ago

Do you get the same results when J4 (pfd switches) is pulled from control board ?
Some of the strobes and returns are used both for playfield and keyboard.

#10 82 days ago
Quoted from zaza:

Do you get the same results when J4 (pfd switches) is pulled from control board ?
Some of the strobes and returns are used both for playfield and keyboard.

Thanks, I tried but no change, I did see 3 light up a second but then 4 and now its the same again.

#11 82 days ago

Ok, I was worth a try. When the playfield had a conflict in the switches, it could have been an explanation for this weird behaviour.

#12 82 days ago
Quoted from zaza:

Ok, I was worth a try. When the playfield had a conflict in the switches, it could have been an explanation for this weird behaviour.

Yes thanks for the advice, this problem is getting to me. Its strange. I need to dig some more.

3 weeks later
#13 55 days ago
Quoted from Donman:

Yes thanks for the advice, this problem is getting to me. Its strange. I need to dig some more.

What did you figure out on the keypad signals?

#14 53 days ago

I have a Motordome that had some super funky keyboard behavior. I was going to order a repro keypad but that thread that MiniPinHead linked made me want to try repinning the connector first. Sure enough that fixed it. Original keypad is working flawlessly now.

#15 53 days ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I have a Motordome that had some super funky keyboard behavior. I was going to order a repro keypad but that thread that MiniPinHead linked made me want to try repinning the connector first. Sure enough that fixed it. Original keypad is working flawlessly now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-keyboard-beat-the-clock- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.