Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I am having a weird, yet recurring problem with both of my 6803 games (Escape From the Lost World, and Special Force). What is happening is, on some of the #555 wedge sockets, the bulbs and/or LED’s are not easy to place from above the playfield. What I mean is that when I try to push the bulb/led into the socket the metal harness holding the socket in place bends under pressure of trying to push the bulb/led in place and it is very difficult to get it to seat properly.

My problem is this: on a few of the sockets, after pushing too hard or bending them too far, the socket goes out completely and just stops working. Just that one socket. After this happens neither LED or incandescent works in the socket. This has happened on BOTH of my machines and has happened to both playfield lights and GI lights. I know it has to be a problem at the socket itself because all of the other GI works just fine, its just a single, individual socket that seems to die completely.

To be specific, on my EFTLW, one of the two “ESCAPE” lights located on the back panel of the playfield adjacent to the blue “escape” door is out. These are both on the exact same circuit and should always light at the same time, yet one absolutely refuses to. Yes, I have checked solder connections and tested with both LED and incandescent working bulbs.

On my Special Force two of the GI sockets are out under the right ramp. These worked just fine until I tried putting a new bulb in, pushing too hard on a slight angle, and now the sockets are dead. This also happened tonight on the left “SPECIAL” light in the left side drain. I simply bent the metal leaf that holds the light socket in place just enough to pull the (working) LED out and replaced it with an incandescent. Now the socket is dead. Nothing works in it. I checked the solder connections and they are fine. Is there some issue with the diode? Am I crazy? Please help!

#2 6 years ago

Those sockets are like you say dead.
The connection inside the socket is most likely broken.
I've had this happen several times.
It's the point weld that gives up or the bending point that breaks.
Just replace the socket.

#3 6 years ago

I'll replace them and see if that works. Thanks for the response.

#4 6 years ago

Anyone know where to find these sockets? I know the wedge sockets are available but I can't seem to find the sockets with the *long* (bendable) metal arm that fastens the socket to the playfield (and power line). All I can find are sockets that have no arms or really short arms that are about 2/3rds shorter than the length of the original.

If these are not obtainable then any tips on how to put an alternative in its place and what type of alternative? I don't want to order a bunch of these and realize I wont be able to get them fitted properly. Would a bayonet base replacement be easier?

Last question, what type of diode are on these lamps? I suppose it'd make sense to use a new diode if replacing the socket.

#5 6 years ago

I had this same issue on my Strange Science, however when I noticed the LEDs wouldn't always easily press into the sockets I just used some side cutters to snip a small piece off both corners of the bottom of the socket plastic. This allowed it to fit into the socket without damage, although it was still a tight fit.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Last question, what type of diode are on these lamps? I suppose it'd make sense to use a new diode if replacing the socket.

All diodes are 1N4004.

#7 6 years ago

If your interested I have a whole box of these sockets from a strange science I stripped down. You can have them all if you pay the shipping.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

If your interested I have a whole box of these sockets from a strange science I stripped down. You can have them all if you pay the shipping.

I'll take them. Thank you! I'll PM you.

2 years later
#9 3 years ago

Restarting this thread as I am having the same issues as Moses was on a Special Force., Has anyone found the exact replacement socket yet? I was also wondering if you can get them with the diode already installed. Let me know, thanks!

#10 3 years ago

It seems they have discontinued producing new versions of this light socket, does anyone have any alternative choices? Could I install a #47 socket in the machine in replacement of the worse #555 sockets?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dpapclare:

It seems they have discontinued producing new versions of this light socket, does anyone have any alternative choices? Could I install a #47 socket in the machine in replacement of the worse #555 sockets?

Yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 36.95
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-issue-with-light-sockets%e2%80%a6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.