Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_005.JPG
EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_004.JPG
EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_003.JPG
EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_002.JPG
EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_001.JPG
#1 7 years ago

I have a Bally Escape From The Lost World. I noticed that some of the fuses on the power supply board and the fuse board on the left side of the head were jammed too far into the clips. I thought that they might have been the wrong fuses but on closer inspection I saw that the clips were soldered in inside out so that the fuses would not "seat" in the clips where they belonged. I can see that with regular play these fuses will come loose and fall out, and the tension is gone from the clip. I'm going to have to pull both boards, remove and install at least a dozen new clips. These are factory installed, not replacements.

Has anyone else run across this condition?

#2 7 years ago

Yes. The fix, per an old service bulletin was to squeeze the end of the clip flat to match the "cupped" portion. Also, squeeze the clip together and then reinstall the fuses. Keeps the games on the route making money.

This was similar to the gen 1 Bally Solid State Solenoid Driver/Voltage Regulator Boards. When the short 3/16 Amp fuses were not available, Standard length fuses could be used if you squeezed the ends of the fuse clip to make the entire clip "beveled". All technicians usually carried standard legnth 3/16 Amp fuses if you had Seeburg Microlog Jukeboxes on the route. The DCC used 'em. These were the ones with the "Grey Box" and "Black Box".

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I think that I would classify that service bulletin fix as a "hack", although I understand the reasoning. I'm just going to bite the bullet and fix them the right way: remove and replace. I guess that when Bally was about to be bought out by Williams in 1988, quality control was the first to go.

#4 7 years ago

Everything about the 6803 system screams "cheap" to me.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Everything about the 6803 system screams "cheap" to me.

Worst build quality ever!!!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Pics... or it never happened

Here's your pics. The first three pics are from the power supply board. FC2B has both clips inside out, FC5B is correct and FC4B, FC7B and FC8B are backasswards. Of the 16 clips on the P/S, 5 are correct.

The fourth and fifth pics are of the 3/4 amp fuse panel. The fourth shows six pairs in a row where one or both clips are wrong. The last pic shows the fuse on the left jammed into a backwards clip, the one on the right is correct. On this board, 15 of the 32 clips are inside out.

Hmmm.

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_001.JPGEFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_001.JPG

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_002.JPGEFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_002.JPG

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_003.JPGEFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_003.JPG

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_004.JPGEFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_004.JPG

EFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_005.JPGEFTLW_fuse_clips_pics_005.JPG

#8 7 years ago

Oh, that's nice, the pics came out in opposite order. Jeez, even my pics are backwards!

#9 7 years ago

Wow - that is messed up.
Can someone explain to me why Bally couldn't pay someone to rotate the freaking fuse clip?

#10 7 years ago

Yep, fixed in a few seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers. Power off of course.....

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yep, fixed in a few seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers. Power off of course.....

Well, perhaps more than a few seconds. I do have to desolder and resolder 52 separate joints

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Well, perhaps more than a few seconds. I do have to desolder and resolder 52 separate joints

I think he meant needle nose pliers fixed the backwards clips back in the day.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think he meant needle nose pliers fixed the backwards clips back in the day.

Yep, per the service bulletin. Back then distributors were all full-service brick & mortar places with real service departments. Each new machine was opened and all circuit boards were tagged with a tamper resistant seal marking the board & warranty. Only the distributor that sold the game would perform warranty repairs on the boards. During the tagging process, mods like this were usually taken care of. Kinda like a pre-trip inspection truck drivers are supposed to perform.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

No need. Squeeze those protrusions even with the concave part of each holder with needle nose pliers and squeeze both halves together to 're-tension the holder.. Done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 36.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
New Cumberland, PA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-have-you-seen-this-inside-out-fuse-clips-from-factory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.