IMG_0676 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Motordome 3.jpg
Motordome 2.jpg
Motordome 1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Cool idea for a club. There are enough common issues with these pins that it is nice to have a common place to go for tech help.

I own a Special Force, and it usually works for a few months before something breaks. It was out of commission for quite some time due to the solenoid expander relay. It worked intermittenly because of cold solder joints. I had never done board repair work before, so I was afraid to touch it in case I messed up my only semi-functioning relay board. I finally found a new one from Marco Specialties and then decided to try my hand at repairing the old. I'm happy to report that I repaired it successfully and gained a bunch of confidence in doing so.

Anyway, happy to be a member here.

1 week later
#38 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I asked this in the Escape From the Lost World Club, but I figured I would ask here too.
Has anyone had issues with broken flipper bushings with the linear flippers? I've replaced all of the bushings on Escape because they crack on the top first, then eventually the bottom. I'm going to re-read vid's guide to make sure I'm not missing something, but I don't know why this is happening. I've rebuild flippers on other games and I haven't had this problem.

This may help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-bushing-keeps-cracking

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from chrismcb:

For one thing my bar is welded, so there is no "bolt" head on the other side.

My lock down bar has the two bolt heads on it.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

When I first fired up the machine I was getting all sorts of stuck switch errors and had to cut off several capacitors. What is the consensus on replacing these?
So far I haven’t noticed any issues.

You need the caps. The switches won’t always register hits without them.

11 months later
#142 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

First off, what is the bulb near the relay under the playfield? Seems kinda odd.

Joe

The relay won’t work without it. I don’t really understand it, but if the relay starts acting up, check the bulb. Must be an incandescent, not an LED.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

So glad you mentioned this, about 2 hours ago I put an led in it. Didn't try the game since.

Glad you asked. You would have been chasing some weird coil behavior. There’s a thread somewhere on pinside that describes why the bulb is essential.

3 months later
#226 3 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

I'm in the club.
I have a Special Force and a
party animal . Currently neither one is set up because I set other games to sell in the limited space I have.
I dont think I will part with special force.
Party animal is fun too but I will probably trade or sell it.

Special Force was the first pin I got. I keep saying I’m going to sell it some day, but it is so damn fun.

3 weeks later
#233 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

So my new to me escape from the lost world has me stumped, and I’m hoping someone here might be able to offer ideas on what to maybe check.
Both LEDs on the kicker sensor board are working now, but the problem remains. On start up, it flashes multi ball 2, and the multiball coil Keeps Constantly firing. The only time it stops is if I unplug the sensor board that works with the led board. I took a picture to show which board I mean. Has anyone here dealt with something similar?
Another odd piece to the puzzle, is it did work once, in between this constantly happening. My son and I played several games perfectly. Then the next time u started it up, it happened again and hasn’t stopped.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m not familiar with the game or the purpose of that board, but I had a similarly intermittent issue with my solenoid expander relay board on my Special Force. It was cold solder joints at the pins and reflowing the solder fixed the issue. Again, I’m not familiar with the specifics here, but thought I would mention it in case the joints on that board look cracked.

1 month later
#245 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am testing a Party Animal... in switch test mode... and as I test the various switches, often the game is detecting another switch along with the one I am testing.
It always seems to be another switch in the same ROW as the one I am testing.
It doesn't always happen and it is not consistent. The only consistency is that the phantom switch is somewhere on the same ROW in the matrix.
This is happening on multiple rows.
Examples:
Press Right Outlane and Top Left Saucer sometimes triggers.
Press Right Return and Right Sling or Pigout U sometimes triggers.
Press Right Sling and Pigout U or Tune 2 Middle sometimes triggers.
Press Left Sling and Pigout T sometimes triggers.
Press Toad and Right Outlane sometimes triggers.
Press Rebound and sometimes Right Outlane triggers.
Since it's all over the place, it leads me to think that it's not just one diode. Is there something bigger to look at when this type of situation happens?

Are there other switches closed when it happens? A shorted diode will create a perfect rectangle of closed switches on the switch matrix. In other words, if two are closed, and you press a third, a fourth will trigger making a rectangle. Multiple rectangles with one switch in common can point to a shorted diode on that switch.

If no rectangles, then perhaps check for a short to ground. That can cause similar issues with multiple switches in a row triggering. Or, perhaps it is one or more caps failing. Bad caps can cause weird issues in the matrix within rows.

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yes. 11 switches in the matrix have capacitors on Party Animal.
The schematic says "ALL CAPACITORS ARE .05 MF"
I have some capacitors on hand that are .047 uF (which is the same as 47 nF). I think these are the correct kind to use... can anyone confirm?

I had the same question and were told they are essentially interchangeable.

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
It's the Switch Matrix on a Party Animal.
I posted earlier about how it's behaving oddly. Pressing a switch will sometimes (not always) trigger another switch (or two or three) in the same ROW.
At first, I thought it would be the capacitors that are on some of the switches. They get old... they dry out.
Correct me if I am wrong, but those capacitors are there so when a switch is VERY QUICKLY pressed, that the CPU will still have time to detect that switch. Which means that removing those caps (cutting one leg) should allow the Switch Matrix to continue to function while losing some sensitivity on the switches with caps.
I have cut a leg on all switches with caps. However, my phantom switches are still occurring all over. Which means it has to be bad diodes, right? But my problem is, for example, I press the Left Outlane switch and it sometimes triggers the Mushroom switch. So I replace the diode on BOTH of those switches... and... the problem persists. Ugh!
Is there more to the story of this 6803 switch matrix? Is there another place I should be looking?
My game is triggering phantom switches all over the place. It seems like its not "a couple bad diodes".
Anyone been down this road before and know how to resolve this issue?
Thanks!

Diode problems always form a rectangle on the switch matrix, meaning if two switches are closed and you press a third, then a fourth separate switch will trigger, and all four switches will form a perfect rectangle. Try to figure out exactly which switches are closed when this happens and see if there is a rectangle. If not, then I agree you should look for shorts to ground. Perhaps a switch lug touching the ground braid or a lamp socket. Finally, you can remove the playfield connectors from the back box and jump the pins for the columns and rows to see if all switches function properly in test mode. That is a way to isolate the problem and see if you have a board issue or playfield issue.

And, lastly, and I mention this only because I have done this myself, when you are pressing the switches in test mode, make sure you are not leaning on the rail with your arm. Your own body will create a short to ground and create the problems you are describing. That was a fun week for me when I was chasing that problem down before realizing I was my own short.

2 weeks later
#279 3 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I would try a squirt of electrical contact cleaner on the pot when the machine is off and adjust the pot on the sound board up and down before letting it dry (or blowing it dry with canned air). My Squawk and Talk had some "dead spots" in the volume pot that cleaned right up and life is good now. Could also be the main volume pot if both sound effects and speech are affected.

I do feel the same way. In fact, that’s what worked for me when I had a similar issue.

2 weeks later
#287 3 years ago
Quoted from RONR11:

Could all 3 go bad at same time as they all 3 do it

They could. Old Bally caps don’t have long lives in the post 2010 era, in my experience.

3 months later
#317 3 years ago
Quoted from crahotrod:

Hi all have a question, I have a Motordome that when you turn it on the flippers will work when you hit the flipper button anybody have any ideas where to look Thanks Chris

You mean before officially starting a game, while in attract mode? Are you sure you haven’t started a game, perhaps inadvertently, like if your start button is making contact or shorted?

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from crahotrod:

Hi yes while still in attract mode

I seem to recall that some of these pins have a relay in the back box that flips between play mode and attract mode and either enables the flippers or not. Someone in this thread may be able to confirm. Perhaps that relay is stuck in the wrong position.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, I can confirm this.
The relay is there, just like the older AS-2518 (6800) games.
The 6803 game a really a 6800 game with the cpu, solenoid and lamp driver board all packed into one board.
The circuits are (nearly) the same way build.
The multiplexing of the cpu makes it different.[quoted image]

Where’s the relay on the schematic? Is it that coil between 8 and 7?

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes the relay is indicated by the dotted line box marked as K1. Coil at pins 7 to 8, two switches at pins 3 to 5 and 4 to 6.

Ah, thanks. I’m still learning this stuff, so to make sure I understand, am I right that power comes in from J1, goes to the coil, which is either activated or not via the transistor that connects it to ground, and the diode at D23 is a fly back diode?

The schematic doesn’t seem to show the two positions for the relay, so that threw me off. I guess if it is on, then the flipper switches are active. If it is off, then I assume the flipper switches aren’t connected to anything. I would have still expected it to show something. When I’ve seen relays on other schematics, it seems more clear. Is this unique to this schematic, or is this a common way to depict a relay?

Also, again just for my education, why not turn the flipper switches on or off by passing them through a transistor rather than a relay?

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The schematic for the AS-2518-22 relay isn't much clearer....
[quoted image]

Well, at least it’s labeled.

1 week later
#333 3 years ago
Quoted from Rossc:

No, i suspect that one of the three ca3081(transistor array for 7 solenoids) has shorted for the middle bumper, so i need to work out which chip and which legs control said bumper

Can you find the blurry page in the online manual that you’re looking for? I can then post a clear picture of the page. I’m just unclear what page you need.

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from Rossc:

Thanks for the replys changed u19 out but with no change sadly, Back looking i go

If you need any other pics let me know.

#338 3 years ago

Sorry for the perhaps obvious question, but when you say it won’t fire the bumper, is that in both test mode and game play? It is not the switch is it — poorly gapped or dirty contacts?

1 month later
#369 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

The EOS does have a capacitor.
Can it be ran without?
(Sorry I’m new to 6803 and still learning i had a roll over switch capacitor go bad. i cut it off and the switch has been working fine ever since.)
I ordered capacitors for this game but i received very very small ones to small for the switched however it was the same part number.
Anyone know a good site to buy the correct capacitors? I’ve tried looking them up on pinball life and Marco with no luck.

Capacitors are necessary on playfield switches to ensure fast hits get registered. Aren’t they all 0.47 capacitors? Amazon has them. Electronics sites I’m sure will as well.

Edit: Not sure about the EOS switch though and whether it is the same capacitor.

#375 3 years ago

What’s the purpose of a cap on the EOS switch?

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The EOS switch capacitor reduces the arcing (and consequently electrical noise) that burns the switch contacts. As a result, the switch lasts longer.

Got it. Thanks.

1 week later
#394 3 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Greetings fellow 6803 fans. Are their any Blackwater 100 owners out there that can look at something for me? If i read the schematics right, several (though not all) of the playfield switches on this game have capacitors on them. I am tearing into a game now and none of the switches on mine have them. The switches all look original, and I can see no sign of any having been clipped off. As long as I have this playfield out and in easy workable condition, I was wondering if I should put them on. Would anyone mind checking theirs for me? Per the manual, the drop targets, rain, fastline, top right/left loop, cold, wet, rocky rapids, and a couple others should all have them. It doesn't look like outlane rollovers or slingshots do.
Thanks!
Aaron

Don’t know Blackwater but in general caps are necessary on 6803 playfield switches that can take fast hits so they register properly. Otherwise, the switch may not always register. For that reason, I wouldn’t think they would be needed on drop targets, but definitely needed on stand up targets and some other switches. My game uses 0.47 caps.

Edit: 0.047 uF

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You mean 0.047uF caps

Oops. Correct!

#398 3 years ago

I’ve heard a lot of operators may have clipped out the caps because they cause shorts and people playing on location seldom notice missing switch hits.

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Sanity check: you put your initials in on D&D when you get a high score but it never displays the high scores or initials
?

If I recall correctly, one of the flipper buttons displays the high scores if pressed during attract mode on my 6803 (not D&D). The other button might go over summary rules. I can’t check right now, but give it a try.

1 month later
#418 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The sound on my D&D is really scratchy throughout the entire volume range. I've done a sound board cap kit and just tried replacing the main speaker and no joy. Is there a particular part of the sound board or anything else that might be suspect?

Did you try spraying a little electronic contact cleaner on the pot on the sound board? That helped me.

1 year later
#620 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:My EBC has a NOS MPU with a NVRAM installed. Tonight when powering on, it went back to 3 ball game, was on 5 and the credits went back to zero. I don't know where to start. Since I got the game, it takes at least two power ups before booting. The MPU flashes 8 times and doesn't go in attract the first one or two throws of the power switch. This is my first 6803 so i guess it's time to read up on Pinwiki.

Try waiting at least 20 min between power off and the next time you turn it on. If doing that consistently makes the issue go away, it could be due to turning on the game too quickly after power down. If so, there’s a fix for that listed somewhere on pinside. I forget what it is.

#622 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I admit that I didn't wait very long between power ups after boot failure. Could this have caused memory loss?

It did for me. Again, there is a known fix for this but I can’t recall what the issue was.

Then again, if you are having boot failures cold, I’m guessing something else is going on.

1 year later
#821 3 months ago
Quoted from Chicanelane:

A new MPU and new power supply were installed. I am getting 42.5 volts to each flipper, but all flippers are dead. This is my only 6803, so I'm not overly familiar. All settings have been gone through with the 6803 keypad, and everything is set correctly. I am a little stumped. Every other coil/pop bumper/kicker/drop target resetting, etc., is working perfectly. The flippers are the only problem. A ground issue, possibly? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

Perhaps the solenoid expander relay? It can get glitchy and requires a working 555 bulb next to it. Do any other coils go off when you try the flippers.

If not, then are the flipper switches working and making connectivity to the back box? No broken wires for those switches?

Any broken wires on the ground side of the flipper coils themselves?

Do the coils measure the right resistance when tested with a multimeter?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.