Motordome 3.jpg
Motordome 2.jpg
Motordome 1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg
IMG_9507-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
DEF92BED-18C5-4A51-8EF5-FCD9C5EBC676 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tallon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

FINALLY got a replacement 6803 lockdown bar, huge thanks to pinthetic[quoted image]

Thought the 6803 lockdown bars all had the over sized rivets. That looks like an original bally

5 months later
#165 4 years ago

Pinball life sells the linear rebuild kits. From my experience, I recommend staying with the original mech design. The solid clack of the linear mech has a completely different feel then the fiberboard eyelet on the old style plungers. The recommendations to convert were out of necessity back in the day when you couldn’t get parts. Now we have access to almost everything you need.

Most weak flippers on bally linear flipper mechs end up being mushroomed coilstop and plunger or loose assembly. Bally uses a spring washer on its coils to help keep tension and I have seen more then once where someone removed it “fixing” a game and never put it back. Over time the coil rattles a bit loosening the button on the coilstop causing it and the plunger to mushroom and deform. This in turn causes the nylon bushing on the paw to run crooked causing friction and all this robs power from the flipper.

The single most important thing in a pinball is the flippers. If they suck, the game sucks no matter what. With all the money we spend on games, spend the $100 at most (4 flipper game) and see how the game played new. You would be surprised.

For those of you saying you can’t feel difference, go play Bally’s truck stop. It uses both bally flipper mechs on the top flippers and Williams mechs on the bottom. Yes, you can feel a difference!

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Since we're talking about flippers and ball action coming off of the flippers, I am curious to know if anybody else is having launch issues off of a stand-up target hit from either flipper?
Sometimes, in our D&D, a drop target hit off of the flippers sends the ball flying up over the plastic on the sides of the playfield and drains the ball.

Oh yeah. If you D&D is dialed in your gonna get a tom of airballs. Try clearcoating the playfield and see what happens

#177 4 years ago

I've had 7 of them and every time you get the Mylar polished, clearcoat the field, or get it stripped down and good wax applied, I get airballs on all of them.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Why you have you had 7 D&Ds? I feel like you could have figured out you liked it enough by your 4th or 5th acquisition

Lol. Been doing this a while and that’s the one game that keeps showing up at my door. Most of the time it’s a dead one and I get it cheap because no one likes working on the 6803s. Last one I sold because the buyer wanted a really nice one and offered good money. Then a buddy of mine sold a complete train wreck to be because he knew I could fix it and make it nice. And I did.

6 months later
#288 3 years ago

Im hunting for a 6803 Transformer for a bally Atlantis. Barring that Ill take a transformer set for bally truckstop. and last but not least, any 6803 game with 14 digit alpha displays. if anyone has any of these please let me know

2 months later
#296 3 years ago

Snagged an Atlantis a while back and finally have some time to take a look. Came in missing a few things including the transformer. I managed to make a new transformer setup using a dungeons & dragons and space shuttle flipper transformer respectively. After getting power to the game I started on the MPU as it appeared to not be booting. There was slight acid damage and obvious damage to the memory socket as the top 2 legs had a little green crud on them. After I pulled the socket and neutralized the acid I went ahead and rinsed the board. Using the compressor, I blew the board as dry as I could. Paying partial attention to getting the chips and sockets dry, I noticed a little glint of metal in the rom sockets. 3 leafs in the top socket had broken and would have never let the game boot. Posting this as more of a “check here guys” and less of a “look how good I am”. I just got lucky! Hope this helps someone else

34C757EB-3E3A-4B50-B12E-98D86841D545 (resized).jpeg34C757EB-3E3A-4B50-B12E-98D86841D545 (resized).jpeg88BC6426-5082-417A-A27A-0180DF4A8329 (resized).jpeg88BC6426-5082-417A-A27A-0180DF4A8329 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#368 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

The EOS does have a capacitor.
Can it be ran without?
(Sorry I’m new to 6803 and still learning i had a roll over switch capacitor go bad. i cut it off and the switch has been working fine ever since.)
I ordered capacitors for this game but i received very very small ones to small for the switched however it was the same part number.
Anyone know a good site to buy the correct capacitors? I’ve tried looking them up on pinball life and Marco with no luck.

if your talking about the tiny disc caps that look to be about the size of pin heads, those are the correct replacements now. The bigger caps are gonna be new old stock or a higher wattage. Thought the same thing you did about them not being right but they spec out.

2 months later
#423 2 years ago

Your gonna need to do some work if you don’t get an Atlantis transformer.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
4 months later
#451 2 years ago

Are you missing some GI over in that corner?

2 months later
#476 2 years ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

I picked up a Strange Science that is in surprisingly good condition overall.
I went through it and fixed several minor problems. The biggest issue I have is that it's missing the clear plastic covers that protect the neon tube on the backbox. The neon is there and works, it's just exposed with no protection.
Does anyone here know of one that's been parted out? Or would anyone be willing to loan their covers to have a mold made in exchange for a new spare set?

Will a fishtales cover work?

3 months later
#534 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Sockets can't be checked simply.
Most of the time I just replace them.
Did your board have any corrosion from the battery?
Since U4 is close to the battery I would suggest to replace it.

As a side note, I have had a socket actually have the leaf pins broken inside and you couldn’t tell. Happened to be giving the board a bath and when I blew it dry with the compressor, I saw the metal flittering around. You never know, just replace it to be safe

1 month later
#541 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone in here know where I can get the coin slot bezels for a 6803 coin door. I have a machine missing them. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Damn. Would be nice if someone could just link it

https://www.arcadeshop.com/d/47/coin-doors-parts.htm

Have fun

#543 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah! That's the ticket.
Anybody doing repros on the coin door itself? Mine is a little dinged up.

Pull it straighten it and have it powder coated make sure they sand blast it first. Hinge might be a bit gunked up when you get it back but semi flat spray paint matches flat black powder coat exactly if you scratch it a bit getting the hing loose again

1 week later
#554 1 year ago

Truck Stop was booting. It would turn on and show garbage rapidly scrolling along the display. After a few minutes it would suddenly stop, all the digits would lock on and then the game would fully boot. Played it for a few days just fine using this method
Now I cleaned the acid damage up, removed the battery and it seems stuck on the garbage. It won’t fully boot anymore.
Any idea what may be the cause of this? I don’t know if this is MPU related or Power Supply related
[quoted image]

That board is mounted sideways. When you cleaned the battery damage, did you change the sockets under the battery?

1 month later
#567 1 year ago

Looks like it's a sounds deluxe. I would suggest doing a full recap first. The 4700uf cap is WAY past its life expectancy. After that there is a service bulletin for the sounds deluxe. When recapping the board, do not replace c12.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally_6803#Sound_Problems

3 months later
#587 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Anyone ever see a D&D with taped up front corners from factory on right and left corners of the cabinet? Gives me pause that the corners could be split or some issue is being masked with cabinet but I'm told otherwise and maybe I'm wrong as I'm not as familiar with this machine or other 6803s. Any insight appreciated.
[quoted image]

So....I have done about 8 of these. The black front is a product called melamine. Its a type of particle board with plastic bonded to one side and from what I'm told was pretty common in the 80's. Cheaper then plywood and no finishing costs as you could glue it up and apply decals. Remember, this is when Bally was fighting for their lives.

My guess is your cabinet is very dry and the plastic started to lift. The wood underneath would have crumbled out because of this. Someone probably applied the tape to try and stop this. the permanent solution is an epoxy pour on that corner.

3 weeks later
#609 1 year ago

How about we do a little detective work before we start pulling stuff and definately before we start cutting. Try turning it on and see what chip get hot first. usually if there is a collapse on the 5v then that voltage will be turned into heat. if its drawing it down the my guess is a chip shorted internally to ground = heat.

BTW I have had sockets go bad and the leaf inside the housing break off causing shorts. Not saying its not a socket but start with heat then move onto checking the sockets (actually used flashlight shining in the holes) for broken or damaged leaf. then you can start working thru segrigating the power lines.

3 months later
#667 1 year ago

Wow! Does anyone in America fix 6803 boards? I need my power supply rebuild, a soundboard rebuild and 2 MPUs worked on. These are in my arcade currently, so I prefer to have a professional go through them to make sure they can handle being on 12 hours a day 363 days out of the year.

Alot of people do. What is it you're looking to have done and more importantly, why? Power supply, Something wrong or just bulletproofing? Are the sound boards working or dead and what sound boards. What are the MPUs doing? is there a specific problem or are they just nor booting and any acid damage?

Not trying to sound like I'm picking on you, but your vague decsriptions would have me telling that person I need the whole game here then as I don't know if its board or game related. I find the 6803 a very robust board set and its interesting to see the direction bally was going. Not saying it's better then system 11 but the a/b lamp matrix and the individual flash lamp fuses would have saved more then a couple playfield inserts in a few system 11's (Looking at you Transporter the Rescue). The 6803 Pinwiki does a pretty good job walking you thru problems and solutions. the sound card section specifically talks about the DAC failures and how to bullet proof. At the very least, helping narrow down the problems will give your repair person a better idea of cost to you.

9 months later
#817 5 months ago

Picture is with 1000 words

2 months later
#841 66 days ago
Quoted from JeepSnob:

I picked up a Dungeons & Dragons. Not sure if it was during shipping or from a previous owner, but the playfield hangers were bent out of shape causing the playfield to pull away from the front of the cabinet. So far that the plunger won't make contact with the call. I tried to bend the hangers back into shape, but the metal is fatigued and about to break. I found these (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A365-00314-0000) on Marco. Before I pulled the trigger, wanted to see if anyone could confirm this is the same part used with Dungeons & Dragons. Looks just like it, but I haven't been able to find any diagrams that call out this part number. Thanks!

Many moons ago I went in and cleaned up the D&D Parts Manual. IPDB never did seem to get that up for people. the brackets are listed there and I don't think those are the right ones.

https://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Manuals%20and%20Schematics/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons%20-%20Parts.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tallon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome?tu=Tallon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.