New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 235022)

Bally 6803 Club - All Welcome

By gweempose

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 290 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Jason43
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 87 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201012_173029 (resized).jpg
20201012_193112 (resized).jpg
20201012_201801 (resized).jpg
752DA531-DEF6-4486-A4D2-9FD949EE9725 (resized).jpeg
39F1CC0F-6BC8-4930-8AD7-65C4ED732964 (resized).jpeg
15959743919224523895493031373326 (resized).jpg
hanger (resized).JPG
IMG_6583[1] (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6577[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_6581[1] (resized).JPG
E16091ED-5B43-4833-997A-ACBC9030B322 (resized).jpeg
94B4F05A-8D7A-47AA-9D04-34967ECF350E (resized).jpeg
20190101_200404 (resized).jpg
E87C35B5-DDC0-459B-8D1D-45C52C97AE3F (resized).jpeg

There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 3 months ago

I have a set of 6803 boards that I no longer need as I have sold my last 6803 game. Boards have been sitting on the shelf for 10+ years. Anyone interested in making me a resonable offer for the whole set?

Pics are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nrvzYygcH8mfQKHWxnw4tgY47oc_GMeW?usp=sharing

#252 3 months ago

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

It's the Switch Matrix on a Party Animal.

I posted earlier about how it's behaving oddly. Pressing a switch will sometimes (not always) trigger another switch (or two or three) in the same ROW.

At first, I thought it would be the capacitors that are on some of the switches. They get old... they dry out.

Correct me if I am wrong, but those capacitors are there so when a switch is VERY QUICKLY pressed, that the CPU will still have time to detect that switch. Which means that removing those caps (cutting one leg) should allow the Switch Matrix to continue to function while losing some sensitivity on the switches with caps.

I have cut a leg on all switches with caps. However, my phantom switches are still occurring all over. Which means it has to be bad diodes, right? But my problem is, for example, I press the Left Outlane switch and it sometimes triggers the Mushroom switch. So I replace the diode on BOTH of those switches... and... the problem persists. Ugh!

Is there more to the story of this 6803 switch matrix? Is there another place I should be looking?

My game is triggering phantom switches all over the place. It seems like its not "a couple bad diodes".

Anyone been down this road before and know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

#253 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I posted earlier about how it's behaving oddly. Pressing a switch will sometimes (not always) trigger another switch (or two or three) in the same ROW.
At first, I thought it would be the capacitors that are on some of the switches. They get old... they dry out.
Correct me if I am wrong, but those capacitors are there so when a switch is VERY QUICKLY pressed, that the CPU will still have time to detect that switch. Which means that removing those caps (cutting one leg) should allow the Switch Matrix to continue to function while losing some sensitivity on the switches with caps.
I have cut a leg on all switches with caps. However, my phantom switches are still occurring all over. Which means it has to be bad diodes, right? But my problem is, for example, I press the Left Outlane switch and it sometimes triggers the Mushroom switch. So I replace the diode on BOTH of those switches... and... the problem persists. Ugh!
Is there more to the story of this 6803 switch matrix? Is there another place I should be looking?
My game is triggering phantom switches all over the place. It seems like its not "a couple bad diodes".
Thanks!

strange for sure, I replaced some diodes this weekend and it cleared all but 1 phantom switch fire. Is your game grounded properly? I have seen some 6803 games do weird stuff if some ground braid is not properly done.

#254 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thanks!

I have no help for you other than confirming that if you simply disconnect the caps on the switches that it should still test OK for a "slow" hit. The cap just seems to make the signal longer so the control board can keep pace with a quick hit.

The matrix design kinda dumbfounds me and I can't find a wiring diagram for free online, but if you haven't read this: http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/ it might help.

#255 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thanks!

Diode problems always form a rectangle on the switch matrix, meaning if two switches are closed and you press a third, then a fourth separate switch will trigger, and all four switches will form a perfect rectangle. Try to figure out exactly which switches are closed when this happens and see if there is a rectangle. If not, then I agree you should look for shorts to ground. Perhaps a switch lug touching the ground braid or a lamp socket. Finally, you can remove the playfield connectors from the back box and jump the pins for the columns and rows to see if all switches function properly in test mode. That is a way to isolate the problem and see if you have a board issue or playfield issue.

And, lastly, and I mention this only because I have done this myself, when you are pressing the switches in test mode, make sure you are not leaning on the rail with your arm. Your own body will create a short to ground and create the problems you are describing. That was a fun week for me when I was chasing that problem down before realizing I was my own short.

#256 3 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

Is your game grounded properly? I have seen some 6803 games do weird stuff if some ground braid is not properly done.

Hmmm... this might be a good lead.

My game came to me with all cables disconnected between head and cabinet.

There are some left over connections that I am not sure where they go. Can someone help me out?

First, in picture below there is a green wire with yellow stripe. It comes from J2 on the power supply. It ends with a spade connector. But I do not know what this connects to.

IMG_6581[1] (resized).JPG

Then in the picture above there is the metal braid wire that comes from below... where does this connect to?

Finally, as seen in the picture below, there are two green wires with spades on them... coming from below... where do these connect to?

IMG_6577[1] (resized).JPG

Thanks!

#257 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Then in the picture above there is the metal braid wire that comes from below... where does this connect to?

Finally, as seen in the picture below, there are two green wires with spades on them... coming from below... where do these connect to?

Looks like your missing the common tie point for all the grounds.
Here is a Motordome pic pre-restoration. The ground braid was stapled to the left side metallic cardboard.

#258 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hmmm... this might be a good lead.
My game came to me with all cables disconnected between head and cabinet.
There are some left over connections that I am not sure where they go. Can someone help me out?
First, in picture below there is a green wire with yellow stripe. It comes from J2 on the power supply. It ends with a spade connector. But I do not know what this connects to.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Thanks!

This might be your problem or at least part of it. Most of your grounding is disconnected.

#259 3 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Looks like your missing the common tie point for all the grounds.

I found it! Mine was hidden underneath the big transformer.

IMG_6583[1] (resized).JPG

Quoted from woody76:

This might be your problem or at least part of it. Most of your grounding is disconnected.

Yep! This was totally my problem. Now with everything grounded, my switch tests are 100% perfect.

Thanks everyone!

#260 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep! This was totally my problem. Now with everything grounded, my switch tests are 100% perfect.

Thanks everyone!

Fantastic, so happy it was such an easy fix! Now go play pinball!

#261 3 months ago

That braided bare wire should probably tie into the ground wire matrix that runs throughout your cabinet. I think it is more of a safety thing to keep you from getting zapped if something goes awry than it is for machine functionality, but I might be wrong.

#262 3 months ago

I was doing battery replacement on my Party Animal... and it lost all it's settings.

However, when I scroll through the adjustments, the settings are all over the place like they were all scrambled with garbage data.

Is there a way to "reset to factory default settings" ?

#263 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I was doing battery replacement on my Party Animal... and it lost all it's settings.
However, when I scroll through the adjustments, the settings are all over the place like they were all scrambled with garbage data.

Yes.

Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
Hit Enter.
It will say "Reset Factory Is".
Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

#264 3 months ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes.
Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
Hit Enter.
It will say "Reset Factory Is".
Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

Thank you! It's funny how they bragged about how great and easy the keypad was supposed to be... but... seriously... it's not.

One more question...

Is there a way to test the flashers in test mode? I don't see anything. Not even in solenoid test mode. Or maybe my flashers are all just bad?

#265 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It is good that you replaced the battery. After they die, they tend to cause all sorts of issues. I went with pinitech's NVRAM chip and ditched the battery forever. I highly recommend the switch. Easy to do and no worries that your battery will contribute to corrosion or leak acid all over your control board.

#266 89 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

One more question...

Is there a way to test the flashers in test mode? I don't see anything. Not even in solenoid test mode. Or maybe my flashers are all just bad?

I didn't find any way to test flashers in Party Animal... but I did find out that many of the flashers in the game I am working on were dead and that they were 906's... and this game requires 912's. 906's are 6 volt and 912's are 12 volt. Very important!

Also, there are two 1 AMP fuses for the flashers under the playfield.

Now my flashers are fully working.

It's amazing how much "life" flashers can breath into a game. You don't really realize it until they are all gone.

#267 88 days ago

My Special Force game has damaged playfield hangers that are poorly welded back together. No idea how both are so damaged but they allow the playfield to move around when playing as they are so weak.
I looked at my regular parts places and do not see any replacements.
Anyone have a source or part number I can use to look around?

Generic pic for reference.

Thanks.

hanger (resized).JPG
#268 87 days ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

My Special Force game has damaged playfield hangers that are poorly welded back together. No idea how both are so damaged but they allow the playfield to move around when playing as they are so weak.
I looked at my regular parts places and do not see any replacements.
Anyone have a source or part number I can use to look around?
Generic pic for reference.
Thanks.
[quoted image]

On the playfield parts list for my Eight Ball Champ, those are listed as "Playfield Support" p/n 0360-0114-00XF. A google search doesn't get me anywhere. That is usually when I call Steve at Pinball Resource. He doesn't use Bally part numbers, so just have the description ready.

#269 87 days ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

That is usually when I call Steve at Pinball Resource

Good info, I was about to email him last night but I thought I would post here first.
Thanks.

#270 86 days ago

I needed a new bracket for my Strange Science and I used a WPC one from Mantis: http://www.mantisamusements.com/bracketsupport.htm

The "WPC and WPC-95 Playfield holders: Style 2 higher of the two" worked and I think I had to just slightly grind it to fit.

#271 86 days ago

Anyone know if the 14 digit glass is still being sold anywhere? I've got an issue with this digit and that digit is noticeably burnt. I'd rather just replace the glass part of the display than go the led route if possible.

15959743919224523895493031373326 (resized).jpg
#272 84 days ago

I just picked up a Hardbody and both upper flippers flutter upon being hit once. Doesn’t appear to hold a low power? Have pics of the wiring, anyone have any idea where to look to fix this?

39F1CC0F-6BC8-4930-8AD7-65C4ED732964 (resized).jpeg752DA531-DEF6-4486-A4D2-9FD949EE9725 (resized).jpeg
#273 83 days ago

First, put a piece of paper between the EOS contacts on both flippers.
Second, use a multimeter and check the resistence of the coils.
Give the lugs a number (1 -2- 3) and measure between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 1 and 3.
It should look like something like this: 3.5 ohm, 130 ohm, 133.5 ohm.
Report back here and we can tell you more and maybe what to do.

Peter

#274 83 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

I'm looking for a standard width lockdown bar!

It took me ages to find a lockdown bar for my City Slicker. What a total bee-atch.
You’d think with the hate 6803s get you’d find more parted out!

Quoted from Taygeta:

I just picked up a Hardbody and both upper flippers flutter upon being hit once. Doesn’t appear to hold a low power? Have pics of the wiring, anyone have any idea where to look to fix this?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You lucky devil! Hardbody’s are getting so difficult to find, been searching for a while now!

#275 77 days ago

Hey everyone!
my Escape From the Lost World has started to have a bit of a sound problem. Sometimes its volume will rise and fall without the volume pot being touched. It seems that after a bit of an initial warm up the issue goes away, but I would still like to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? I was thinking the volume pot might be bad, or a poor connection at the sound board, or maybe the speaker is bad. The pin is at my sisters house which is 40 minutes away, so I'd like to research it a bit before driving out to look at it.
Thanks!

#276 77 days ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hey everyone!
my Escape From the Lost World has started to have a bit of a sound problem. Sometimes its volume will rise and fall without the volume pot being touched. It seems that after a bit of an initial warm up the issue goes away, but I would still like to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? I was thinking the volume pot might be bad, or a poor connection at the sound board, or maybe the speaker is bad. The pin is at my sisters house which is 40 minutes away, so I'd like to research it a bit before driving out to look at it.
Thanks!

I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I would try a squirt of electrical contact cleaner on the pot when the machine is off and adjust the pot on the sound board up and down before letting it dry (or blowing it dry with canned air). My Squawk and Talk had some "dead spots" in the volume pot that cleaned right up and life is good now. Could also be the main volume pot if both sound effects and speech are affected.

#277 77 days ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I would try a squirt of electrical contact cleaner on the pot when the machine is off and adjust the pot on the sound board up and down before letting it dry (or blowing it dry with canned air). My Squawk and Talk had some "dead spots" in the volume pot that cleaned right up and life is good now. Could also be the main volume pot if both sound effects and speech are affected.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize there was two volume pots, I had only played with the one on the coin door. I'll have to try adjusting both next time I'm there.

#278 77 days ago

On my machine, the squawk (sound effects) and talk can be balanced by adjusting the pot on the sound board. The sound effects are only controlled by the pot on the coin door and the relative speech volume is controlled by the pot on the sound board.

In other words, if all sounds die together then it is probably the pot on the coin door. Same recommendation applies before swapping out parts. A little spray of contact cleaner has saved my bacon more than once.

#279 77 days ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

I do feel the same way. In fact, that’s what worked for me when I had a similar issue.

#280 77 days ago

Escape for the Lost World has a different sound board, not a squawk & talk board.
It has a Sounds Deluxe board.
Only one pot on the board and I think one on or near the coin door.

On the Pinwiki there is a section about this board.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_6803#Sounds_Deluxe_Board
Very highly recommended to take off the cap next to the DAC chip.

2 weeks later
#281 58 days ago

Anybody else have any issues with 6800 Bumpers vibrating or double pulsing?

#282 58 days ago
Quoted from RONR11:

Anybody else have any issues with 6800 Bumpers vibrating or double pulsing?

Start by cleaning/adjusting the switches. I am not an expert at the 6803 board, but my experience is that the control board only scores the "hits" and the bumpers are reacting to the switch being closed. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I used to get phantom scores without bumpers being activated, so I am taking an educated guess...

#283 58 days ago

Thanks, they seem to be right I can close and see sw shows it closed. If I boot up and touch one it’s like a machine gun firing

#284 58 days ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

Start by cleaning/adjusting the switches. I am not an expert at the 6803 board, but my experience is that the control board only scores the "hits" and the bumpers are reacting to the switch being closed. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I used to get phantom scores without bumpers being activated, so I am taking an educated guess...

The control board reacts to the switch there's no direct connection between the switch and the solenoid.... the mpu has to interpret it, not only scoring, but firing the solenoid as well.

Adjust and clean the switches and if there are switch capacitors on it, replace them. Sometimes they will pick up a nearby solenoid's firing as noise, causing them to fire as well.

#285 58 days ago

Will do thanks

#286 58 days ago

Could all 3 go bad at same time as they all 3 do it

#287 58 days ago
Quoted from RONR11:

Could all 3 go bad at same time as they all 3 do it

They could. Old Bally caps don’t have long lives in the post 2010 era, in my experience.

1 week later
#288 51 days ago

Im hunting for a 6803 Transformer for a bally Atlantis. Barring that Ill take a transformer set for bally truckstop. and last but not least, any 6803 game with 14 digit alpha displays. if anyone has any of these please let me know

1 month later
#289 9 days ago

Not sure if many of you guys know already, but Wolffpac Tech has some great LED display kits for 6803's now. They have Red, Green, Orange, Blue and White options available. His kits are very well made and easy to assemble. I recommend a regulated soldering station and a fine tip, as each board has around 420 pads on them. I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out, and I also love being able to assemble them myself like an adult set of legos.

Note, my camera does not show the displays very clearly in low lighting...they are crystal clear in person!

https://www.wolffpactech.com/bally-6803-dual-display

20201012_173029 (resized).jpg20201012_193112 (resized).jpg20201012_201801 (resized).jpg
#290 9 days ago

That's awesome news. I have his displays in my Lost World. They are quality.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Green Bay, WI
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port St. Lucie, FL
1,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 50.00
3,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Austin, TX
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside