Motordome 3.jpg
Motordome 2.jpg
Motordome 1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg
IMG_9507-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
DEF92BED-18C5-4A51-8EF5-FCD9C5EBC676 (resized).jpeg
There are 865 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

The entire tech section (schematics, designation lists, etc.)
Whoever scanned that section of the manual must have been on the last can of a twelve pack
Very unreadable. Useless, basically. I would love to get an original manual, where the schematics actually fold out, but that's not happening

Fortunately i do have a complete (at least i think complete) set of the original schematics. I mean those fold-out pages which contain the schematics. One of those is 'glued' to a manual but perhaps i can find a way to pry it loose. When i've scanned some of these pages i'll share them here so you can see if this is a good way/scan.

#102 4 years ago

Thank you both. I was very fortunate back in early 2007, when I found an actual bonafide original Fireball II manual. And that was after I found a very very good high quality copy. The only difference between the original and the copy are the foldouts.

Both very readable though.

But this D&D copy and everyone I have found....

Craptastic

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The paper schematics of the 6803 games aren't very good to begin with.
A low res scan would only make it worse.
That's whats been done every time.
All of the schematics I have found for the 6803 games are hardly readable.
I did manage to decipher most of them to create the tech charts on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
Combining schematics and comparing them.
Peter

Hey Peter,

I have an Eight Ball Champ that suddenly began playing the wrong voice and sound calls. I cannot find much(any) troubleshooting documentation for this issue.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
Shawn

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Hey Peter,
I have an Eight Ball Champ that suddenly began playing the wrong voice and sound calls. I cannot find much(any) troubleshooting documentation for this issue.
Do you have any suggestions on where to look?
Thanks,
Shawn

I would replace U16, the inverter (4049) chip.
Or you are missing a data line.

Bally_AS-2518-61_S&T_Soundboard (resized).jpgBally_AS-2518-61_S&T_Soundboard (resized).jpg
#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I would replace U16, the inverter (4049) chip.
Or you are missing a data line.[quoted image]

Thanks!

Any hints on how to check the data lines.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Thanks!
Any hints on how to check the data lines.

http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/

you can start there, if you already have not done so. Peter's site is pretty good as well. Eight Ball Champ seems to be a popular 6803 era pin. Some of it you can do with a DMM, but a logic probe is better, and knowledge of using a scope would be a plus.

Plus a test bench setup as described at that site. I'm not there yet myself, but you can get by (sort of) with just a DMM and a logic probe. But as others have pointed out (in my XPIN problem thread) you can't beat a good testing setup.

Hope that helps somewhat.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/
you can start there, if you already have not done so. Peter's site is pretty good as well. Eight Ball Champ seems to be a popular 6803 era pin. Some of it you can do with a DMM, but a logic probe is better, and knowledge of using a scope would be a plus.
Plus a test bench setup as described at that site. I'm not there yet myself, but you can get by (sort of) with just a DMM and a logic probe. But as others have pointed out (in my XPIN problem thread) you can't beat a good testing setup.
Hope that helps somewhat.

Clay’s guides are my Bible, but 6803 is not his best chapter. There is hardly any content at all for S&T troubleshooting.

I’m ok with a logic probe, but the schematics offer little help on where to find the sound triggers.

#108 4 years ago

Happy to join the club! Pulled a Hard Body out of the basement of a non-collector. They only knew it's history back to 2010 but it looks awfully close to HUO. I'll take some photos to share once I've got it set up.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Clay’s guides are my Bible, but 6803 is not his best chapter. There is hardly any content at all for S&T troubleshooting.
I’m ok with a logic probe, but the schematics offer little help on where to find the sound triggers.

Does this help?

http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/squawk.htm
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Squawk_.26_Talk_Sound_Board_Troubleshooting

Bally_AS-2518-61_S&T_Soundboard_input (resized).jpgBally_AS-2518-61_S&T_Soundboard_input (resized).jpg
#111 4 years ago

Asked this in the D&D club thread, but want to ask here as well.

Is anybody using newer non-HV displays in their 6803 games? If so, which brand did you go with?

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Asked this in the D&D club thread, but want to ask here as well.
Is anybody using newer non-HV displays in their 6803 games?

I installed green led displays in my Black Water.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I installed green led displays in my Black Water.

I edited my post. Sorry I forgot. Which brand did you go with?

btw, nice avatar

EARNHARDT!!!

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

I edited my post. Sorry I forgot. Which brand did you go with?
btw, nice avatar
EARNHARDT!!!

They are X-pin.

#115 4 years ago

thanks

#116 4 years ago

FINALLY got a replacement 6803 lockdown bar, huge thanks to Pinthetic

20793128-BC08-44ED-B641-FD7B99F48376 (resized).jpeg20793128-BC08-44ED-B641-FD7B99F48376 (resized).jpeg
#117 4 years ago

I believe I found the issue. There was a wire loose in the connector at J5 pin 10 on the controller board which connects to pin 4 on your S&T photo.

Anyway, it is working now. Thanks for your help!

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

FINALLY got a replacement 6803 lockdown bar, huge thanks to pinthetic[quoted image]

Thought the 6803 lockdown bars all had the over sized rivets. That looks like an original bally

1 month later
#119 4 years ago

anybody got a strange science rubber ring list and count?

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

anybody got a strange science rubber ring list and count?

Look in the manual at page 1-13

1 week later
#121 4 years ago

Hello, I cannot find where there's a 3 amp fuse in Strange Science.

Will somebody guide me on where they are located. I couldn't find a fuse layout in the manual.

Thanks!

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

Hello, I cannot find where there's a 3 amp fuse in Strange Science.
Will somebody guide me on where they are located. I couldn't find a fuse layout in the manual.
Thanks!

The only place is the Transformer module in the cabinet.
It is the main fuse.
Look on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl for a Tech Chart in the Bally or Tech Chart section.

1 week later
#124 4 years ago

got this little gem fixed up this weekend. fresh rubbers, LEDs, flipper rebuild. plays great. key on this one is flipper rebuild. Can make all the ramp shots easily and added some carrot flippers on the bottom 2 flips. Reminds me of a system 11 game.

strange sciencew (resized).jpgstrange sciencew (resized).jpg
1 month later
#125 4 years ago

Question for the Heavy Metal people. I recently got one for free that is complete, except it's missing the center grille part. Is this a plastic part? It seems to be some sort of light diffuser or vent cover, but haven't had luck finding something similar.

1 week later
#126 4 years ago

I just got a dungeons and dragons. It had a bunch of problems when I tested it on location but we finally got it running after reseating a bunch of cables. This was odd because it always got to at least the 7th or 8th flash. The guy said it never had a problem booting before he moved it to his garage for sale. It booted consistently after moving and taking the tension off some of the cables.

Is it possibly just cable / solder joint issues or am I getting ready to get into a basket case? I wouldn't have thought it would get that far into the boot sequence if any of the power cables were tensioned.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I just got a dungeons and dragons. It had a bunch of problems when I tested it on location but we finally got it running after reseating a bunch of cables. This was odd because it always got to at least the 7th or 8th flash. The guy said it never had a problem booting before he moved it to his garage for sale. It booted consistently after moving and taking the tension off some of the cables.
Is it possibly just cable / solder joint issues or am I getting ready to get into a basket case? I wouldn't have thought it would get that far into the boot sequence if any of the power cables were tensioned.

Sounds like you should let me come buy it from you right away. Definitely best.

#128 4 years ago

Picked up a real nice blackwater 100 last weekend. My first 6803. Love it so far...

#129 4 years ago

Reflowed all 3 boards and everything is working perfectly. I was surprised as I couldn't see any obviously bad joints but there was only a tiny amount of solder on all the .100 connectors.

Has anybody done a good backbox lighting kit for these? I was thinking about doing some LED strips and seeing how the translite would look without that huge inside-out hotspot.

#130 4 years ago

Trial #1:

Using an outlet adapter in the bulb socket with an 8' 12v soft white LED strip. Wish I got warmer but this was the warmest they had at home depot. All in a little over $20. These are just hanging from the loom, not permanently installed so it'll get a touch more even. The hotspot in the photo is not anywhere close to that bright in person but I couldn't get it to go away by area of focus. Note this method will keep gi effects in games with a backbox relay which I seem to remember reading about

20191217_185725.jpg20191217_185725.jpg
1 week later
#131 4 years ago

I don't like the placement of the backbox bulb in this game. I have considered using LED strips as well. If that were real glass instead of a translite, the light might diffuse across the entirety of the display more efficiently. I suppose it could be worse, too.

I put in a cooler bulb, but am also considering something smaller to get the bulb a bit further away from the translite.

That's nice that you got one with a topper. Those seem to be sought after, but are hard to come by. Mine has the topper as well.

#132 4 years ago

Today I did my first hole-in-the-board repair....
What do you think?
Should I close the hole with hot glu or leave it open?

Bally_A080-91786-C000_repair (resized).jpgBally_A080-91786-C000_repair (resized).jpg
#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

hole-in-the-board repair

Bet that really stunk up the room when it happened! Looks like your reconstructive surgery went well. I am no board repairman, but I would think a little squirt of hot glue to beef it up would be good.

#134 4 years ago

Nice job. I would reinforce it.

1 week later
#135 4 years ago

I'd like to join 6803 squadron. Just picked up a blackbelt (#491 of 600).

Anyone got a spare mpu??!. Yeah I know.

Jaime

20200108_170445 (resized).jpg20200108_170445 (resized).jpg
#136 4 years ago

Hey guy can anyone tell me the size of the backglass for a Ecsape from lost world ? I picked up a machine that was missing the translite and
glass . I wanted to order a tempered glass and wanted to get it right .
Thanks Scott

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskooler:

Jaime[quoted image]

The board posted above is available for 130 euro plus shipping.
With hole and all, but working and tested.
I don't know where you live, but if it is not in Europe it might get expensive to ship it.
Within Europe it is 13 euro, but to the USA it is 35 euro.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from g43crazy:

Hey guy can anyone tell me the size of the backglass for a Ecsape from lost world ? I picked up a machine that was missing the translite and
glass . I wanted to order a tempered glass and wanted to get it right .
Thanks Scott

666 mm wide by 628 mm high.
26.2 inch wide by 24.7 inch high.
Measured from a Escape from the Lost World.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

666 mm wide by 628 mm high.
26.2 inch wide by 24.7 inch high.
Measured from a Escape from the Lost World.

Thanks for checking this for me .

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskooler:

Jaime[quoted image]

Nice! I got one too, a little over a year ago. I've had way less time to work on it than I'd expected, so it's still in Project status. (Stripped PF, cleaned everything, and & replaced all bulbs... but that's as far as I've gotten so far...)

#141 4 years ago

Hey guys, picked up a black belt last week.
Have a few questions.
First off, what is the bulb near the relay under the playfield? Seems kinda odd.

Ive got it shopped, working, le'd, is there anything that should be done to the boards for preventative maintainence?
The battery was off the board on an remote battery pack with no diode. I replaced it with a new remote holder with a diode in line. Board looks a little funky, but seems to operate just fine. Came from a friends house where they were not into pinball. Didn't operate for 5 years+ is my guess.

Last question, is there any place to get insert decals? I torn the machine all the way down to shop it and it would be a shame to have it come out this nice with worn insert decals.

Thanks for any input,
Joe

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

First off, what is the bulb near the relay under the playfield? Seems kinda odd.

Joe

The relay won’t work without it. I don’t really understand it, but if the relay starts acting up, check the bulb. Must be an incandescent, not an LED.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

The relay won’t work without it. I don’t really understand it, but if the relay starts acting up, check the bulb. Must be an incandescent, not an LED.

So glad you mentioned this, about 2 hours ago I put an led in it. Didn't try the game since.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

So glad you mentioned this, about 2 hours ago I put an led in it. Didn't try the game since.

Glad you asked. You would have been chasing some weird coil behavior. There’s a thread somewhere on pinside that describes why the bulb is essential.

1 week later
#145 4 years ago

Hello all. I purchased a non-working Strange Science last week that had not been used (or cleaned) in some time. Would estimate 5 years of filth). It may be the dirtiest pin I’ve personally seen. The GI works (the bulbs not burned out... which is about half) but it will not start a game. I’ve already stripped the playfield and need to do a lot of cleaning, adjusting, and parts ordering.

This keypad that hangs next to the launcher inside the coin door seems to potentially hold the key to getting this game going. I downloaded the parts manual and the tech manual, but can’t seem to find any information on how to actually use the thing. The tech manual PDF is actually missing some pages this keypad is said to be discussed.
Does anybody have a good pdf or link they could provide me so I can try to educate myself on how to use this? I’ve only found little tidbits on pinside and was hoping this specific community could maybe help give me some help in the right direction.

The owner said the keypad was how they got it on freeplay but mice literally ate the corner of the manual he had hand written the necessary codes.

When the machine is turned on the neon topper turns on quick then shuts off, The digital display says “1-4 can play on the left displays and something else on the right displays (maybe insert coins)?? Can’t recall.

The coin door has no mechs but does have the wired switches, but those switches will not add a credit and I’m not even sure if the keypad is functional because apparently these things were manufactured somewhere between here and hell.

Would love to read up on this while I’m doing the basics of rebuilding the playfield.

Thank you all!

6D356B10-AF4A-41C8-88CD-2F07F7E1E1F0 (resized).jpeg6D356B10-AF4A-41C8-88CD-2F07F7E1E1F0 (resized).jpeg
#147 4 years ago

I’ll give this a look through. Thank you for the direction!

#148 4 years ago

under the Basic Options; Free Play; Enter 0 for Coin and 65 for Free Play....

#150 4 years ago

its a fun game. Rebuild the lower flippers first thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 865 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.