IMG_0676 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Motordome 3.jpg
Motordome 2.jpg
Motordome 1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg
There are 868 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.
#501 2 years ago

But there's only the one speaker in the center! Actually maybe replacing the "blind everybody" flashers in the topper with speakers would work.

#502 2 years ago

I have an #Eight Ball Champ with the 6803 MPU. One of the thumper bumpers is not working and I think I traced it back to a blown Capacitor. I changed out the capacitor and when I ran the coil test, the new capacitor blew. Any ideas wat can cause the capacitor to blow? I replaced the coil as well, so I don't think its a bad coil. I ordered a new replacement board and my biggest fear is that its something on the playfield that is causing the capacitor to blow and it will happen on the new board. Are blown capacitors usually from an issue on the 6803 MPU or from an issue somewhere on the playfield? New to all this so please be patient. Thanks!

Added over 2 years ago:

Sorry everyone, I think I had it wrong in my original post... I believe it the Resistor on the 6803 Board that keeps burning out, not a capacitor! I warned you I was new at this

#503 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

I have an #Eight Ball Champ with the 6803 MPU. One of the thumper bumpers is not working and I think I traced it back to a blown Capacitor. I changed out the capacitor and when I ran the coil test, the new capacitor blew. Any ideas wat can cause the capacitor to blow? I replaced the coil as well, so I don't think its a bad coil. I ordered a new replacement board and my biggest fear is that its something on the playfield that is causing the capacitor to blow and it will happen on the new board. Are blown capacitors usually from an issue on the 6803 MPU or from an issue somewhere on the playfield? New to all this so please be patient. Thanks!

Hi. Any chance you reversed the polarity on the capacitor when you installed it? I'm not an expert, but the only other thing I can think of is the voltage feeding the capacitor was too high. I would run a voltage test at all the test points to see what they come out at. Maybe there's another problem causing that cap to blow.

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Hi. Any chance you reversed the polarity on the capacitor when you installed it? I'm not an expert, but the only other thing I can think of is the voltage feeding the capacitor was too high. I would run a voltage test at all the test points to see what they come out at. Maybe there's another problem causing that cap to blow.

I definitely triple checked the polarity before I soldered it into place. Plus it was apparent that the old capacitor was already burnt out as well. I will try to figure out how to do a voltage test. Do I need to replace the Capacitor before doing the voltage test? Sorry if these are dumb questions... As i said this is all new to me.

#505 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

I definitely triple checked the polarity before I soldered it into place. Plus it was apparent that the old capacitor was already burnt out as well. I will try to figure out how to do a voltage test. Do I need to replace the Capacitor before doing the voltage test? Sorry if these are dumb questions... As i said this is all new to me.

No, worries at all. I know only enough to be dangerous myself, and usually diagnose through trial and error. I would run a voltage test of all the test points before you swap in a new capacitor. Without knowing for sure how that cap flows in the circuit, they'll either all work and give you a reading, or one won't because the cap is out. I'm guessing something led to the cap blowing. Just got to figure out what that was. First guess is it got too much power. Weird.

Have you tested voltage points before?

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

No I have not. Like I said I'm very new at this.

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

No, worries at all. I know only enough to be dangerous myself, and usually diagnose through trial and error. I would run a voltage test of all the test points before you swap in a new capacitor. Without knowing for sure how that cap flows in the circuit, they'll either all work and give you a reading, or one won't because the cap is out. I'm guessing something led to the cap blowing. Just got to figure out what that was. First guess is it got too much power. Weird.

Sorry everyone, I think I had it wrong in my original post... I believe it the Resistor on the 6803 Board that keeps burning out, not a capacitor! I warned you I was new at this

#508 2 years ago

I did a voltage test at the coil and I'm not getting any voltage. Does that mean its definitely something on the 6803 MPU board or can it still be something on the playfield?

#509 2 years ago

If the 330ohm resistor is vaporizing that usually means the coil dead shorted or there is a short circuit around the coil.

Find the coil associated with this transistor, measure ohms. If it is shorted (zero ohms), cut the diode off and check again. If it is still shorted, or looks burned up, it needs replaced.

When the coil is not turned you should be able to measure volts DC on both sides of the coil. If the voltage is missing check the fuses.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If the 330ohm resistor is vaporizing that usually means the coil dead shorted or there is a short circuit around the coil.
Find the coil associated with this transistor, measure ohms. If it is shorted (zero ohms), cut the diode off and check again. If it is still shorted, or looks burned up, it needs replaced.
When the coil is not turned you should be able to measure volts DC on both sides of the coil. If the voltage is missing check the fuses.

I did an ohms test on the old coil and it was shorted out (zero ohms). I replace the coil (which came with a new diode) and the ohms test shows its a good coil now. When I put the game into coil test mode, all the other coils register voltage when they fire, but this Thumper bumper stays at 0 volts. Someone suggested it could be the Q19 Transistor or the C81 Cap that are next to the R169 (which is the resistor that keeps burning up) See image attached. Thoughts?

print_17_Bally_MPU6803_1_1_LI (2) (resized).jpgprint_17_Bally_MPU6803_1_1_LI (2) (resized).jpg
#511 2 years ago

That is a diode, not a capacitor. The transistor is the most likely component, you could also change the diode while you're in there just in case since it's so easy.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That is a diode, not a capacitor. The transistor is the most likely component, you could also change the diode while you're in there just in case since it's so easy.

Sorry if my wording was a little confusing. C81 is right above the Resistor. The Diode right next to it and the resistor itself were changed out. So I guess the next thing to try is the Transistor and the Cap. Thanks for the help!

#513 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Hi BarakandI... I ordered one of your replacement 6803 boards and I'm hoping that it solves this issue (along with some of the Lamp issues I am having as well). I will let you know how it goes when the board arrives (hopefully tomorrow). Please let me know if there is anything I should be double checking on the playfield itself before I plug in the new board!!!

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Shouldn't I only ready voltage when the coil fires? None one of my working coils read any voltage unless they fire.

#515 2 years ago

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
Used, fair condition - “I've got a populated Strange Science playfield with an intact wiring harness. I was going to use this as the basis for a new game, using a Cobrapin board, but I've got a lot of pro...”
2022-05-02
San Ramon, CA
250 (OBO)
Archived after: 3 days
Viewed: 478 times

Got a populated playfield for Strange Science up for sale or trade.

#516 2 years ago

ThatOneDude Oh man, if only you were not so far away...i'd take it in a heartbeat!

#517 2 years ago

For Eight Ball Champ when a playfield lamp never turns off, what is typically the cause? Also I have about 6 lamps that wont turn on and for two of them it turned out to be a cold solder joint on the negative (ground) cable. for the other four, after confirming the bulb was good, i checked the ground and it was fine as well. Is the issue usually an with the lamp drivers on the 6803 Control Board for both of these issues (never turning off and never turning on)?

Thanks,
Chad

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Oh man, if only you were not so far away...i'd take it in a heartbeat!

Sounds like we need to find a pinsider who is traveling cross country!

#519 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

For Eight Ball Champ when a playfield lamp never turns off, what is typically the cause? Also I have about 6 lamps that wont turn on and for two of them it turned out to be a cold solder joint on the negative (ground) cable. for the other four, after confirming the bulb was good, i checked the ground and it was fine as well. Is the issue usually an with the lamp drivers on the 6803 Control Board for both of these issues (never turning off and never turning on)?
Thanks,
Chad

I just had one stuck on and it was a bad diode on the light socket.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Thanks! I will check the diodes on those lamps. Any Idea about the random lamps that wont turn on? The bulbs are good. Is that usually a lamp driver issue or something on the playfield?

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

Thanks! I will check the diodes on those lamps. Any Idea about the random lamps that wont turn on? The bulbs are good. Is that usually a lamp driver issue or something on the playfield?

It's fairly common for the 2N5060 lamp driver transistors on the MPU to blow if you have ruled out any wiring issues.

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Do you know what diode I need for the lamps? It looks like a few of them are bad. is it IN4004?

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

Do you know what diode I need for the lamps? It looks like a few of them are bad.

1N4004 is typical. Yours should have it written on each Diode. I have seen mention that anything from 1N4001 to 1N4007 will work fine in this application. Make sure the white/silver band on it faces the same direction as the rest (polarity)

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

1N4004 is typical. Yours should have it written on each Diode. I have seen mention that anything from 1N4001 to 1N4007 will work fine in this application.

Perfect! Thanks

#525 2 years ago

Is anybody making the frog for Party Animal yet?

2 weeks later
#526 2 years ago

Diagnosing a Hardbody

Biggest issue right now is that the game won't boot. The motherboard (6803 control board) LED blinks 1-3 times before getting stuck. It mostly has been blinking 3 times.

I've been getting past that issue by letting game to warm up in the partial-power-up state, then cycle power. Doing that gets all 9 LED blinks & bootup.

So do I need to replace the chips at locations U2 & U4? Is it a bad NVRAM? Could something else be causing them to fail like a bad R27?

Some more minor issues, when I can get the game to actually boot:
-Upper Left Flipper - was working after rebuilding assembly and replacing with new coil, then stopped working for a while, then came back to life suddenly. It currently works, but I don't like that I do not understand why it died in the first place.
-Left Slingshot is dead - (similar to above) it was working fine, then suddenly stopped. The slingshot is still currently dead. I have not touched the drive transistor yet (Q11)
-'x3' Lamp insert on lower PF will not light - I've replaced the diode on it, however the wire going to the lamp does not seem to be getting enough power.
-'triceps' orange upper PF insert has the same issue with it not lighting. I haven't dove into that yet due to it being deeper in the cabinet.

#527 2 years ago
Quoted from Ghostly:

Diagnosing a Hardbody
Biggest issue right now is that the game won't boot. The motherboard (6803 control board) LED blinks 1-3 times before getting stuck. It mostly has been blinking 3 times.
I've been getting past that issue by letting game to warm up in the partial-power-up state that then cycle power. Then I get all 9 LED blinks.
So do I need to replace the chips at locations U2 & U4? Is it a bad NVRAM? Could something else be causing them to fail like a bad R27?
Some more minor issues, when I can get the game to actually boot:
-Upper Left Flipper - was working after rebuilding assembly and replacing with new coil, then stopped working for a while, then came back to life suddenly. It currently works, but I don't like that I do not understand why it died in the first place.
-Left Slingshot is dead - (similar to above) it was working fine, then suddenly stopped. However the slingshot is currently dead. I have not touched the drive transistor yet (Q11)
-'x3' Lamp insert on lower PF will not light - I've replaced the diode on it, however the wire going to the lamp do not seem to be getting enough power.
-'triceps' orange upper PF inset has the same issue with it not lighting. I haven't dove into that yet due to it being deeper in the cabinet.

It looks like U4 needs to be inspected.
Is the socket still good?
If you used a nvram, you could bridge diode D8 with a wire to get the 4.5V up to 5V needed for the nvram module.
Check the voltage at TP4 to be sure for the correct voltage.
This will also tell you if R27 (82 ohm) is bad.
Also easy to check with a DMM.

Did you check the print headers for bad solder joints?
Are they the kind without the plastic housing (single pins)?
Is the tin plating still in place or do they look black or tarnished?

The 3X and orange triceps lamps go to the same thyristor Q54 (J13-11)
It may be a connector issue or bad thyristor.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Hardbody_Tech_Chart.pdf

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

1 week later
#528 2 years ago

A friend owns a Heavy Metal Meltdown and went to power it up yesterday and he said it was just flashing a 3 on the display. I have zero experience with bally 6803 machine's and he is a couple hours away so was hoping someone on here could offer up some ideas I could use to have him troubleshoot over the phone. I searched the forum for 6803 flashing 3 and got zero results. Here is a text that he sent me with what it does. Thks

Screenshot_20220317-093337_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220317-093337_Messages (resized).jpg
#529 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

A friend owns a Heavy Metal Meltdown and went to power it up yesterday and he said it was just flashing a 3 on the display. I have zero experience with bally 6803 machine's and he is a couple hours away so was hoping someone on here could offer up some ideas I could use to have him troubleshoot over the phone. I searched the forum for 6803 flashing 3 and got zero results. Here is a text that he sent me with what it does. Thks
[quoted image]

One possibility is memory corruption in case the memory protect battery has failed, which happened to me on a party animal. Try a factory reset from Basic Settings (65, Enter, A keys)

#530 2 years ago

To expand upon the above:

-Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
-Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
-Hit Enter.
-It will say "Reset Factory Is".
-Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
-Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and
the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

One possibility is memory corruption in case the memory protect battery has failed, which happened to me on a party animal. Try a factory reset from Basic Settings (65, Enter, A keys)

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

To expand upon the above:
-Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
-Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
-Hit Enter.
-It will say "Reset Factory Is".
-Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
-Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and
the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

Thank you both I will pass this on to him and see if it helps.

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

It looks like U4 needs to be inspected.
Is the socket still good?
If you used a nvram, you could bridge diode D8 with a wire to get the 4.5V up to 5V needed for the nvram module.
Check the voltage at TP4 to be sure for the correct voltage.
This will also tell you if R27 (82 ohm) is bad.
Also easy to check with a DMM.
Did you check the print headers for bad solder joints?
Are they the kind without the plastic housing (single pins)?
Is the tin plating still in place or do they look black or tarnished?
The 3X and orange triceps lamps go to the same thyristor Q54 (J13-11)
It may be a connector issue or bad thyristor.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Hardbody_Tech_Chart.pdf
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Thank you for the info Peter! I tried a few of your suggestions.

Update:

Most of the tin plating looks decent.
Left slingshot - the diode was wired up wrong to the wrong pins. Re-soldered that and fixed the problem
Replaced Q54 - the old one measured as bad. 'X3' & 'orange triceps' now work!!
I couldn't see any visible cracks on any solder joints. So I just reflowed the solder on all connecter headers for Motherboard, PSU & Sound PCBs. I did not reflow the solder on the chips sockets. That is still something I can try.
Reseated the U2, U3 & U4 Chips
R27 measured as good
Couldn't find any bad voltages on PSU or Motherboard on test points.

TP2 GND
TP1 5.1 VDC
TP3 15.5 VDC
TP4 5.4 VDC
TP5 5.09 VDC
TP6 5.09 VDC
TP7 5.09 VDC

Still has the boot error, I have not tried the voltage increase mod yet. Looks like getting new chips is the next step.

How do you test if the socket is still good?

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from Ghostly:

Still has the boot error, I have not tried the voltage increase mod yet. Looks like getting new chips is the next step.
How do you test if the socket is still good?

Sockets can't be checked simply.
Most of the time I just replace them.
Did your board have any corrosion from the battery?
Since U4 is close to the battery I would suggest to replace it.

#534 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Sockets can't be checked simply.
Most of the time I just replace them.
Did your board have any corrosion from the battery?
Since U4 is close to the battery I would suggest to replace it.

As a side note, I have had a socket actually have the leaf pins broken inside and you couldn’t tell. Happened to be giving the board a bath and when I blew it dry with the compressor, I saw the metal flittering around. You never know, just replace it to be safe

1 month later
#535 1 year ago

Does anyone have a fuse chart for Truck Stop? Just picked one up that boots and plays but has acid damage on the MPU and no displays, tested with a second display and no dice, so thinking maybe it’s a blow fuse

#536 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

fuse chart for Truck Stop?

Try pinball rebel... they have all charts for games to reproduce ... or check IPDB and see if the manual is download able

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Does anyone have a fuse chart for Truck Stop? Just picked one up that boots and plays but has acid damage on the MPU and no displays, tested with a second display and no dice, so thinking maybe it’s a blow fuse

Inkochnito to the rescue

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Truck_Stop_Tech_Chart.pdf

#538 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Try pinball rebel... they have all charts for games to reproduce ... or check IPDB and see if the manual is download able

The manual sucks for some reason!

Thank you! Much appreciated snakesnsparklers for finding that.
Inkochnito you are a legend for making these!. I’m printing this out and slapping it in my game.

The fuses I suspected appear to be the issue. It doesn’t fit in the holder. I’ll check both F8 and F2 shortly

#539 1 year ago

Does anyone in here know where I can get the coin slot bezels for a 6803 coin door. I have a machine missing them. Thanks!

B6130615-7A83-403B-9B2B-15DBAC54D869 (resized).jpegB6130615-7A83-403B-9B2B-15DBAC54D869 (resized).jpeg
#540 1 year ago

I did every search term I could think of in my email and didn't find anything. I know I ordered one in the last two years. The same coin doors were used on the arcade games like ms. pac so you may have better luck searching under that. IIRC I found the part number for that piece somewhere obscure.

#541 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone in here know where I can get the coin slot bezels for a 6803 coin door. I have a machine missing them. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Damn. Would be nice if someone could just link it

https://www.arcadeshop.com/d/47/coin-doors-parts.htm

Have fun

#542 1 year ago

Yeah! That's the ticket.

Anybody doing repros on the coin door itself? Mine is a little dinged up.

#543 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah! That's the ticket.
Anybody doing repros on the coin door itself? Mine is a little dinged up.

Pull it straighten it and have it powder coated make sure they sand blast it first. Hinge might be a bit gunked up when you get it back but semi flat spray paint matches flat black powder coat exactly if you scratch it a bit getting the hing loose again

#544 1 year ago

Just got a Special Force and there’s a connector just hanging near the control board (see middle of pic - the slightly blurry black connector in the middle of the pic). It doesn’t seem this connects to anything. Looking at other photos online of special forces boards I see this same connector just dangling there. What is this for?

4c9d531192e0e08a9d10c4e217e7c1e20272200e (resized).jpg4c9d531192e0e08a9d10c4e217e7c1e20272200e (resized).jpg
#545 1 year ago
Quoted from toaster777:

Just got a Special Force and there’s a connector just hanging near the control board (see middle of pic - the slightly blurry black connector in the middle of the pic). It doesn’t seem this connects to anything. Looking at other photos online of special forces boards I see this same connector just dangling there. What is this for?
[quoted image]

IIRC it's not used on SF. It was a generic harness for most 6803 games.

#546 1 year ago
Quoted from toaster777:

[quoted image]

Does it come from J9-6? (Q22)
It should be for the Weapon drop target down.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Special_Force_Tech_Chart.pdf

Peter

#547 1 year ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

I looked at my SF and that plug is not being used.
Just hangs there like yours.

#548 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Does it come from J9-6? (Q22)
It should be for the Weapon drop target down.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Special_Force_Tech_Chart.pdf
Peter

Didn't trace the wire back actually. Will take a look.

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

OK this makes sense actually since I've seen pics of others with it just hanging and with Impzilla having the same thing. That makes sense.

#550 1 year ago

HOLY PINGODS! IT LIVES

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! Played hours and hours of this game last night! Truck Stop is extremely underrated.

Needs a new display, and it’s missing some plastics, but otherwise it’s a great playing machine. Really happy to bring it back from the dead.

A32D7C45-B05D-4059-B537-7BF97A344251.jpegA32D7C45-B05D-4059-B537-7BF97A344251.jpeg

The rubber chart on Marco is not correct. Can any Truck Stop owner please post pics of the rubbers?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 868 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.