Motordome 3.jpg
Motordome 2.jpg
Motordome 1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6060.jpeg
IMG_9507-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
DEF92BED-18C5-4A51-8EF5-FCD9C5EBC676 (resized).jpeg

There are 863 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.
#1 5 years ago

There are already some individual 6803 clubs, but most of them don't get a lot of activity, so I figured I'd start one that encompasses all 6803 games. This club is for the discussion of any 6803 game, and you do not have to be an owner to participate. As a whole, the 6803s don't seem to get a lot of respect, especially when compared to the System 11s, but there are definitely some fun and underrated 6803 games. Sure, some of them are cheesy as hell, but that only adds to their charm.

I recently picked up a nice Eight Ball Champ, and I really like it. The single level playfield, lack of ramps, and no multiball is a nice throwback to earlier games, and it's fun and challenging to shoot.

EBC #2 (resized).jpgEBC #2 (resized).jpgEBC #1 (resized).jpgEBC #1 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Lo!. I started the Bally Atlantis club. I've also owned Escape From the Lost World. "Cheesy Charm" is the foundation of this series, lovable despite the engineering and construction woes, nobody should shy away from playing one, or even owning one once. Good thread concept, because while there is some info out there, it appears not quite as deep as some of the other game series.

#3 5 years ago

I route a Blackbelt and a Special Force. They are a little bit more of a mystery than I'd prefer, so I'll join the club.

#4 5 years ago

Cool idea for a club. There are enough common issues with these pins that it is nice to have a common place to go for tech help.

I own a Special Force, and it usually works for a few months before something breaks. It was out of commission for quite some time due to the solenoid expander relay. It worked intermittenly because of cold solder joints. I had never done board repair work before, so I was afraid to touch it in case I messed up my only semi-functioning relay board. I finally found a new one from Marco Specialties and then decided to try my hand at repairing the old. I'm happy to report that I repaired it successfully and gained a bunch of confidence in doing so.

Anyway, happy to be a member here.

#5 5 years ago

Great club.

I loved Atlantis when I had it. Just a really cool theme and layout.

Currently have a Heavy Metal Meltdown. I’m not a big fan of the flippers of that era but you can’t win them all.

#6 5 years ago

I do not have any 6803 games, but I created Tech Charts for all these games.
You can find them on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
Look in the Tech Charts section.
If you find any errors, please let me know and I'll correct them.

Peter

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I do not have any 6803 games, but I created Tech Charts for all these games.
You can find them on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
Look in the Tech Charts section.
If you find any errors, please let me know and I'll correct them.
Peter

That's awesome. Thanks, Peter!

#8 5 years ago

Cool, I'm in!

I've owned 3 6803s

Hardbody
Atlantis - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-bally-atlantis-that-i-discovered
Motordome

Only have the Motordome left, currently getting a restore, mylar and glue removal last night, some paint came with but I'll touch that up no problem.

20180712_212017 (resized).jpg20180712_212017 (resized).jpg20190127_191138 (resized).jpg20190127_191138 (resized).jpg20190107_213358 (resized).jpg20190107_213358 (resized).jpg20190129_205941 (resized).jpg20190129_205941 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Just joined the club yesterday! Mine needs a bit of work, which is half the reason I bought it.
Funny thing is, when I bought it I had wrongly assumed that this was a -35 era Bally and was very surprised when I found out it was released in ‘85.
Anyway, I will try to document what I learn here as I go.

A0788306-3532-42BF-9FA0-9E9E414CF4E6 (resized).jpegA0788306-3532-42BF-9FA0-9E9E414CF4E6 (resized).jpeg
#10 5 years ago

First issue: Ones digit in all 4 displays is out. I find sparse 6803 repair documentation in the usual places. Is the troubleshooting for the displays similar to that of the earlier Ballys?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

First issue: Ones digit in all 4 displays is out. I find sparse 6803 repair documentation in the usual places. Is the troubleshooting for the displays similar to that of the earlier Ballys?

Try here:
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

You can get a .pdf copy of the manual here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/761/Bally_1985_Eight_Ball_Champ_Manual.pdf

I would refer you to a place that would sell an original copy of the manual, but it seems that everyone who has one wants to keep it.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There are already some individual 6803 clubs, but most of them don't get a lot of activity, so I figured I'd start one that encompasses all 6803 games. This club is for the discussion of any 6803 game, and you do not have to be an owner to participate. As a whole, the 6803s don't seem to get a lot of respect, especially when compared to the System 11s, but there are definitely some fun and underrated 6803 games. Sure, some of them are cheesy as hell, but that only adds to their charm.
I recently picked up a nice Eight Ball Champ, and I really like it. The single level playfield, lack of ramps, and no multiball is a nice throwback to earlier games, and it's fun and challenging to shoot.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your EBC looks really great! Mine apparently has had a little bit rougher life and we are going through some growing pains together.

I agree that it is a really fun game for what it is: single ball, single level, shooter. It makes you pretty much earn every drop. I don't get many hits from bouncing off the slingshots, but I do occasionally get double-hits from the top flipper (the old 1-ball 7-ball combo if you will).

#13 5 years ago

I have a nice working Squawk & Talk with Eight Ball Champ roms available and a 6803 power module board for sale. The power board is like mint, like new.

#14 5 years ago

Atari_Daze Wouldn't to happen have detailed dimensions for your new cabinet build? I need to replace the pressboard cabinet on my Party Animal re-theme.

#15 5 years ago

I noticed last night while playing Eight Ball Champ that the flipper button switch was sparking whenever I pressed the button firmly. This prompted me to look under the playfield, and I discovered that many of the switches, including the flipper switches themselves, were sparking. I assume this is normal behavior, but I just wanted to double check.

#16 5 years ago

Flipper buttons definitely spark. I never noticed the other switches spark, but they probably do. Not as big a spark as the flippers, for sure.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from BW78:

Wouldn't to happen have detailed dimensions for your new cabinet build?

No unfortunately I don't, there were lots of mistakes with my measurements I corrected on the fly. I vowed to make better notes on the next one.

#18 5 years ago

I’m in

5FBA0DFF-4C2E-4D41-83F9-14BBB75B5D3F (resized).jpeg5FBA0DFF-4C2E-4D41-83F9-14BBB75B5D3F (resized).jpeg
#19 5 years ago

I’m in!
Currently rebuilding this City Slicker that had fallen off a truck at one point and basically exploded. Rebuild part of the cab and now it’s flipping, time to shop it!

Still need a 6803 lockdown bar!

https://www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/city-slicker-blown-to-smithereens-quick-and-dirty-cab-repair-helplep#post-4802991

51C8D0CF-04FC-4C53-BF16-AF02D7348060.jpeg51C8D0CF-04FC-4C53-BF16-AF02D7348060.jpeg
#20 5 years ago

Good timing, as I'm currently in the (slow) process of refurbishing a Black Belt. This thing was disgustingly dirty and had a handful of problems when I got it. Slowly but surely making progress when I have the time, but I'll hit you guys up when I inevitably run into issues.

Btw, I HATE these bulb sockets. No apparent easy way to get to the bulbs (since the sockets' common wire is tight to the playfield and the solder would get broken off it I backed out the screws), so I've had to just bend each socket arm back (very tight access in some places). Then, the sockets themselves are ridiculously tight, hard to get the old bulbs out and new bulbs in. My fingers were practically blistered by the end of the night after replacing all the bulbs under the playfield.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Good timing, as I'm currently in the (slow) process of refurbishing a Black Belt. This thing was disgustingly dirty and had a handful of problems when I got it. Slowly but surely making progress when I have the time, but I'll hit you guys up when I inevitably run into issues.
Btw, I HATE these bulb sockets. No apparent easy way to get to the bulbs (since the sockets' common wire is tight to the playfield and the solder would get broken off it I backed out the screws), so I've had to just bend each socket arm back (very tight access in some places). Then, the sockets themselves are ridiculously tight, hard to get the old bulbs out and new bulbs in. My fingers were practically blistered by the end of the night after replacing all the bulbs under the playfield.

Ya, bending back the lamps is sometimes the best way. Several of the hex screw heads were soldered to the mounts on my machine. I figure if I break the mount, I have the same amount of solder work either way. Not the best quality workmanship, which was a real problem in most US industries back in the 80's...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

Ya, bending back the lamps is sometimes the best way. Several of the hex screw heads were soldered to the mounts on my machine. I figure if I break the mount, I have the same amount of solder work either way. Not the best quality workmanship, which was a real problem in most US industries back in the 80's...

Well, I'm glad I didn't miss some other easier option. My fingers still hurt, lol...

1 week later
#23 5 years ago

Any tips for getting a flaky socket to work more consistently, other than replacement?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I need one of these as well.

#26 5 years ago

Just got my second 6803 a hardbody and I love it. If u get past the back glass so fun but also fast. Also have a Party Animal and there is a Special Forces I am looking at (really liked it when I tried it). Have heard bad things about the 6803 system but so far no problems for me (knock on wood). The Special Force is a little more then it should be but looks great, almost bought but guy talked me out of it by saying how much of a hassle they can be. So i guess my question is do they just get a bad rap or can i have more problems with them then others (my 2 80s williams actually drive me nuts, blown fuses all the time). I mean they are priced great and just as much fun I think.

15499203064891330040579 (resized).jpg15499203064891330040579 (resized).jpg15499203595481362197553 (resized).jpg15499203595481362197553 (resized).jpg
#27 5 years ago

Some issues with cost cutting and cheap construction.

My biggest issue (so far)is the lack of repair documentation available.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Brettv:

Just got my second 6803 a hardbody and I love it. If u get past the back glass so fun but also fast. Also have a Party Animal and there is a Special Forces I am looking at (really liked it when I tried it). Have heard bad things about the 6803 system but so far no problems for me (knock on wood). The Special Force is a little more then it should be but looks great, almost bought but guy talked me out of it by saying how much of a hassle they can be. So i guess my question is do they just get a bad rap or can i have more problems with them then others (my 2 80s williams actually drive me nuts, blown fuses all the time). I mean they are priced great and just as much fun I think.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I don't have much experience, but it seems to me that the 6803 board is pretty decent. It is fairly robust and supports lots of flashers and switches so that games can be fairly complex but not confusing. I had to repair my control board once from something that happened with a prior owner and once that I messed up. There are no hard to find parts on the board (although replacement control boards are pretty much not available now). There is plenty of room to make repairs on the board. There are some mods available. I highly recommend Pinitech's 6118 NVRAM to replace the battery (simple plug and play replacement and boom, no battery required), and there are several companies that offer LED displays that drive just fine from the control board without using high voltage from the power module. The wonkiness of my Eight Ball Champ is more in the flippers, saucer assembly, and cheap MDF cabinet construction than it is the 6803 system. The flippers are actually way better than many 80's era linear flippers, but parts are a little bit unique. My game plays just fine and is fun.

If Bally would have survived and evolved into ramp/multiball machines, I think the 6803 would be more common and probably a bit more revered. It seems like there is plenty of bandwidth on the board to do more stuff and add modules. I think they probably would have been able to upgrade/improve the squawk and talk (and ditch the cheap squeak system) and keep up with new display technology for quite a while. Adding alphanumeric displays to new games seemed fairly simple, for example.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Some issues with cost cutting and cheap construction.
My biggest issue (so far)is the lack of repair documentation available.

I find that between my game manual and http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/ , there isn't much left to the imagination.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Any tips for getting a flaky socket to work more consistently, other than replacement?

Have you tried reflowing the solder on the connections? When I first picked up my Eight Ball Champ, I had a bunch of flaky and non functioning sockets. They all turned out to be cold solder joints.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Have you tried reflowing the solder on the connections? When I first picked up my Eight Ball Champ, I had a bunch of flaky and non functioning sockets. They all turned out to be cold solder joints.

I’ll give that a shot. I assumed that the issue was inside the socket since I could get it to work briefly with a lot of wiggling of the bulb.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I assumed that the issue was inside the socket ...

It may very well be, but it can't hurt to check the solder connections first.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Quoted from chrismcb:

I need one of these as well.

I have 2 used bars in fair condition, but I need to get measurements. One I am pretty sure is a Bally, the other is from a WPC. If your interested I need details on the dimensions so I can ID them for you?

IMG_20190212_051417 (resized).jpgIMG_20190212_051417 (resized).jpgIMG_20190212_051435 (resized).jpgIMG_20190212_051435 (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago

I have a great Strange Science. The neon is blue and the displays are blue, it really ties it into the theme. Underrated game for sure.

1499EB9C-DB09-43AC-AECF-D3C7D5ACDA07 (resized).jpeg1499EB9C-DB09-43AC-AECF-D3C7D5ACDA07 (resized).jpegBAB5FDC5-37EB-4A9C-ACF7-98EE625D0541 (resized).jpegBAB5FDC5-37EB-4A9C-ACF7-98EE625D0541 (resized).jpegE77BA3D9-68E0-4156-B3E1-0B37FD2944DC (resized).jpegE77BA3D9-68E0-4156-B3E1-0B37FD2944DC (resized).jpeg
#35 5 years ago

I asked this in the Escape From the Lost World Club, but I figured I would ask here too.

Has anyone had issues with broken flipper bushings with the linear flippers? I've replaced all of the bushings on Escape because they crack on the top first, then eventually the bottom. I'm going to re-read vid's guide to make sure I'm not missing something, but I don't know why this is happening. I've rebuild flippers on other games and I haven't had this problem.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I asked this in the Escape From the Lost World Club, but I figured I would ask here too.
Has anyone had issues with broken flipper bushings with the linear flippers? I've replaced all of the bushings on Escape because they crack on the top first, then eventually the bottom. I'm going to re-read vid's guide to make sure I'm not missing something, but I don't know why this is happening. I've rebuild flippers on other games and I haven't had this problem.

Who are you buying the bushings from? I have only gotten ones from pinballrescource and have never had problems.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

Who are you buying the bushings from? I have only gotten ones from pinballrescource and have never had problems.

They were on it when I bought the game. The replacement that I put in that broke was from Marcos. I have pinball life bushings in now, hopefully they hold up.

#38 5 years ago

This may help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-bushing-keeps-cracking

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

I have a great Strange Science. The neon is blue and the displays are blue, it really ties it into the theme. Underrated game for sure.

Looks awesome! I like the blue displays!

I'm kind of hoping to get a Strange Science again some day. Had one a while back, sold it.. not because I didn't like it but we had too many games already and trying to get down to half a dozen or so in the end. But man, it's such a cool looking game with the topper and playfield art, and neat sounds too. There's without a doubt a few Bally 6803 games that are underrated and this is one.

My gripes on the 6803 are probably same as anyone else. Cabinet build with the particle board and zero cabinet art. Lamp to illuminate the backglass. The transformer mounting in the backbox like it does was just a horrible idea IMO. There's then the "weirdness" in how they did some of the electronics, but after working on a few machines you get used to some of that.

I've only had a chance to try EBC and Strange Science. I hear Hardbody is decent. I'll have to make more of an attempt to track down some of these titles at pinball shows and at least give them a whirl.

#40 5 years ago

Cool, thanks for the link I somehow didn't find that in my searches. I will check out my flippers and see if there is contact being made.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I have 2 used bars in fair condition, but I need to get measurements. One I am pretty sure is a Bally, the other is from a WPC. If your interested I need details on the dimensions so I can ID them for you?[quoted image][quoted image]

The one I have is 22 1/4 x 2 3/4
The lock down portion is about 14 1/8 from center to center. Each lock is about 1 inch wide, just less than 1 1/2" tall with the gap about a 1/2 from the end.

Neither of the two bars you have look like mine (doesn't mean it would fit) For one thing my bar is welded, so there is no "bolt" head on the other side.
I think the 6803 bar (at least the one for my EBC) is different than the typical bally one. But not really sure.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from chrismcb:

For one thing my bar is welded, so there is no "bolt" head on the other side.

My lock down bar has the two bolt heads on it.

#43 5 years ago

My Eight Ball Champ that I recently picked up had no sound. During boot up, it would only give 4 flashes which would indicate an issue with U8, the TMS5200 speech chip. I tried re-seating the chip with no success. I searched online and with some difficulty was able to find a vendor that still sold the chips. Honestly, I wasn’t really expecting this to work but I popped in the new chip and now I have sound and speech!

#44 5 years ago

I was having this issue with my EFTLW about every 4-5 months. It was at our pinball co-op where it got regular play. Side note- Pinball Life has lockdown bars. I got one of their "seconds" for a good deal. I think it had one tiny scratch on it. It still looked way better than the one that was on my Party Animal.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

My Eight Ball Champ that I recently picked up had no sound. During boot up, it would only give 4 flashes which would indicate an issue with U8, the TMS5200 speech chip. I tried re-seating the chip with no success. I searched online and with some difficulty was able to find a vendor that still sold the chips. Honestly, I wasn’t really expecting this to work but I popped in the new chip and now I have sound and speech!

Can you share the vendor?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from chrismcb:

Can you share the vendor?

https://www.twistywristarcade.com/atari/806-tms5200-.html?search_query=Speech&results=2

Probably should have bought a spare, but they’re not cheap.

#47 5 years ago

When I first fired up the machine I was getting all sorts of stuck switch errors and had to cut off several capacitors. What is the consensus on replacing these?

So far I haven’t noticed any issues.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

When I first fired up the machine I was getting all sorts of stuck switch errors and had to cut off several capacitors. What is the consensus on replacing these?

You need the caps. The switches won’t always register hits without them.

#49 5 years ago

BEST TOPIC EVER!!!

I'm a 6803 addict. It started with Special Force a few years ago. I think Dennis Nordman did a masterful job for his first game, considering what he had to work with. The Williams platform was just so much stronger and High Speed came out the same year.
I was so taken by this game that I hunted everywhere to locate the rare Special Force Girls alternate backglass that was commissioned by Bally Wulf in Germany. It's probably worth more than the game itself

I have also owned Strange Science, Motordome, Black Belt and I'm currently restoring a protoype Heavy Metal Meltdown.

Big love out to you fellow 'turd-polishers' that have taken the insane path of restoring these ugly duckiling pins. God bless you!

The Heavy Metal Meltdown is a great story.
It's the only proto spec HMM that I'm aware of with intact mechs. The original code was lost but I went on a bit of a grail hunt. I even tracked down Rehman Merchant, but to no avail. Finally I ended up working with a very talented programmer to get the drop target and related prototype features working again.
I'll post some pics below... but for anyone really interested, here's my original thread. It's nearly 2 years old, but I've started updating it as the cabinet and shop job are nearly done.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-proto-heavy-metal-meltdown-adventure

IMG_20190115_234804_578 (resized).jpgIMG_20190115_234804_578 (resized).jpg

IMG_20181024_211710_517 (resized).jpgIMG_20181024_211710_517 (resized).jpg

20190209_003250 (resized).jpg20190209_003250 (resized).jpg

20190209_003124 (resized).jpg20190209_003124 (resized).jpg

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

In my experience, rollovers definitely need caps to register reliably and I would bet other momentary switches (like the "paddle" switches behind drop targets) probably work better with good caps in place. I had a rollover switch with a bad cap and the game would set a new high score if you just left the machine alone long enough. After cutting out the cap, it registered maybe 80% of quick rollovers but resolved the ghost scoring issue (and would test out OK in the stuck switch test). With a new cap installed, it works again with higher reliability.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
There are 863 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.