(Topic ID: 261273)

Bally 6803 black belt switch problem: resolved

By jcar302

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jcar302.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, I have a bally black belt I've been working on.
Everything is resolved except for one switch issue, the gentle touch mushroom at the top of the shooter lane.
It was clearly broken before me, for a long time.

So here is what I've done.
Tested continuity from the switch to the connector, both sets of wires check out.
Checked the pins on the board, seem clean, has continuity always through the first few resistors.
Switch works correctly and the diode is fine.

It's the 5th pin from the left on connector J4 (white/brown), on the connector I swapped the 4th (white green) with it, so now the shooter lane switch is in the 5th position and vice versa.
So now the mushroom for testing purposes in on pin 4 and it works just fine and the shooter lane which is now where the mushroom does not work.
While i'm no expert, I think this should suggest definitively that it's not a playfield wiring issue.

So if it's a board problem, where do I look? I traced pin 5 through a few resistors and I lose it.
I have the book, but either I suck or this book is harder to understand than a system 11 book.

I can solder and desolder. I've fixed some wpc stuff and a bunch of system 11 boards, but i'm far from an advanced troubleshooter.
Mainly I do a lot of pinside searches and find the right direction to head and what to test.
Is there a part that commonly fails that prevents a switch from registering?

Thanks for any input,
Joe

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

What kind of condition is the keypad in that you use to access the audits/test? A bad switch on the keypad can cause issues with playfield switches as well.

It seems to work fine, but i'm not totally sure.
Most times I just use advance, back, enter etc...
Is there a way I should fully test it?

#4 4 years ago

Messed with the keypad a little bit last night.
Seems to work ok, all connections are good.
All the numbers register if I go into a setting and try to change it.
The bottom row doesn't do anything, should it?

#5 4 years ago

So, in my infinite wisdom and desire to learn things the hard way, I realized today that the gentle touch doesn't actually score any points by itself. It's just stops the rising score when you plunge the ball after the ball rolls over the shooter lane switch. They key is don't hit the ball too hard or too soft. Too hard and it stops the score immediately, too soft and you score nothing.

Mayne I should watch some videos of pins I fix up that I have no clue about...

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Thanks for posting this ... when I ran through all the switches before tearing mine down, it seemed like the gentle touch wasn't doing anything. Perhaps it was simply the same thing you're describing here, which now I know to look for ... if I ever get the darn thing put back together.

You can be sure that's what it is. I tested it manually 20 times before I came back here to take responsibility for my mistake, lol.

As for putting it back together, I never break my rule. Assess all the parts I think I need (at least on top of the playfield), tear it down, clean it, put it back together immediately. I've done quite a few this way and only one really wore me out, earthshaker (earthshaker, unshopped in need of a teardown, should take a $750 hit, plus parts needed).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jcar302.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-black-belt-switch-matrix-problem?tu=jcar302 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.