(Topic ID: 264102)

Bally 6 digit display - One digit out - Ok to swap MPSA43 for MPSA42?

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a bally display. Only one digit out. The 100's digit. All 100k resistors check out fine. The MC1454 digit controller is fine as well. Swapped that out with
    a known good one. I grounded Q3 collector and the 100 digit lit up. I didn't have an MPSA42 at hand but had an MPSA43. I swapped it in and still no 100's digit.
    Anyone experience this? Maybe the MPSA43 can't be swapped in? Looks like it's a 200v transistor but the MPSA42 is 300v. I'm not sure that matters much.

#2 4 years ago

Did you check the 100K resistors?

Never mind, I see you did....

The MPSA43 should work, but the voltage is low like you said.
    If the power supply goes bad, it will send 240V to the displays.
    The MPSA43 transistor can't handle this.
    It should work however.
    https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/5143/MOTOROLA/MPSA42.html

Did you check the print headers?

#3 4 years ago

When you say print headers? I'm not following that, can you explain? Do you mean header pins? Yes I reflowed them.

#4 4 years ago

Pretty generic advice, but did you reflow the solder on the components for circuit that drive that digit? I've had similar issues where one digit just doesn't work regardless of component replacement. I assumed that there was a wire lead break internal to the display glass. Maybe swap that display to the credit/ball display as a cheap hack?

#5 4 years ago

I wouldn't advise using the MPSA43. It's specs are too low for this application.

An NTE 287 is a good cross to the MPSA42.

#6 4 years ago

Ok so here's a first.. I took out my logic probe. I touched resistor 5 (100k). The missing 100 digit came back. And that's the fix. Go figure. Just touching the
    100k resistor with a little electricity to it brought it back.

#7 4 years ago

Replace that R5 resistor.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

I took out my logic probe. I touched resistor 5 (100k).

Oh dear, your logic probe probing 190 volts wouldn't have been happy.

#9 4 years ago

I'm sure.. But it is now fixed.. I'll replace all of the 100k resistors as soon as they arrive.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

I'm sure.. But it is now fixed.. I'll replace all of the 100k resistors as soon as they arrive.

If you replace that resistor and then the digit seems to lock on bright the level shifter is bad.

I think when a digit locks on from a bad level shifter or MPU issue is when those 100k resistors get burnt and go open circuit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6-digit-display-one-digit-out-ok-to-swap-mpsa43-for-mpsa42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.