By drscottsmith

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

An interesting dilemma...

My Eight Ball needed display help. I bought two xPin displays with the intent of replacing all 5 at some point ($$).

So the two xPins are in Player 1 and 2 and work perfectly.

The Credit/BIP, Player 3 and Player 4 displays are plasmas. I have numeral issues with these displays however. In Display Test, I get an incorrect sequence (0-1-0-1-4-5~~~~-6-7~~~~-8-9). The tildes are there to represent the fact that when 5 and 7 come up, the displays flicker through several digits, but then lock right back down solid for '6' and '8'.

Sequence is very consistent.

I thought the displays were daisy chained in a way that meant if you had an issue with the MPU everything would be affected. I also understand that a bad decoder or weak resistors could cause strange things, but this is almost as if the top two displays are on one circuit and the bottom three are on a different circuit.

Thoughts?

-scott

#2 9 years ago

Repeat the test three more times. 1 with only Credit/BIP connected. 2 with only P3 connected. 3 with only P4 connected. Do any of the three test OK by themselves?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

An interesting dilemma...
My Eight Ball needed display help. I bought two xPin displays with the intent of replacing all 5 at some point ($$).
So the two xPins are in Player 1 and 2 and work perfectly.
The Credit/BIP, Player 3 and Player 4 displays are plasmas. I have numeral issues with these displays however. In Display Test, I get an incorrect sequence (0-1-0-1-4-5~~~~-6-7~~~~-8-9). The tildes are there to represent the fact that when 5 and 7 come up, the displays flicker through several digits, but then lock right back down solid for '6' and '8'.
Sequence is very consistent.
I thought the displays were daisy chained in a way that meant if you had an issue with the MPU everything would be affected. I also understand that a bad decoder or weak resistors could cause strange things, but this is almost as if the top two displays are on one circuit and the bottom three are on a different circuit.
Thoughts?
-scott

Test only one display at a time in a "known good" position on the game. Leave all others disconnected. Let us know how each behaves.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys - here are the results:

New xPin and Good plasma behave the same way all around:

P! and P2: Perfect

Credit/Match, P3 and P4: 2-3-2-3-6-7-6-7-blank-blank is the sequence

#5 9 years ago

Note that the sequence is different in the bad displays today from last night (last night sequence was (0-1-0-1-4-5~~~~-6-7~~~~-8-9).

#6 9 years ago

I would check the solder joints on the 3 plasma display assemblies. With the heat and vibration, you can have MANY crack solder joints on each display assembly. This is not only the row that solders in the glass display, but also the 40 pin row of the .156" connector. So you have a potential of 80 solder joints that need to be fixed. You need to remove all the old solder and resolder.

I would do this before suspecting a MPU problem.

#7 9 years ago

You could even trade out 3 working ones out of your Supersonic and see the problem move first if you wanted to prove the displays are the issue. Though, even on working displays, you can have cracked solder joints too that will pop up issues in the near future.

#8 9 years ago

Supersonic displays are trashed...none are good ones (to my dismay). Just got Taxi finished so back upstairs to work on EB some more...

Will post as I know more.

-scott

#9 9 years ago

Then time to look over the eight ball displays and resolder.
I estimate at least an hour to two just doing one display, depending on how many solder joint are needed to be repaired.

#10 9 years ago

OK - resoldered both the glass and connectors on the plasma displays...went ahead and replaced U10 and U11 for kicks as well but no changes.

Sometimes the number sequence will change in display test mode...in other words a different sequence will cycle, but once the sequence starts in display mode, it does not change.

So....

Next to check the logic on the decoders....

#11 9 years ago

OK - thought I had this down somewhere...

What am I looking for in terms of signal on the scope from the 7734 BCD chip on a display...?

-scott

#12 9 years ago

Move MPU and displays to test game (Supersonic?). If they work good you have just confirmed a wiring or connector issue to the displays.

#13 9 years ago

I cant as supersonic is completely disassembled...I dont have any other machines at present to test them in...

I sold too many early Bally's!!!

-scott

#14 9 years ago

Your display count indicates either a lack of continuity or a defective IC chip. Probe address
inputs at U1 pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 for continuity to the connector pins. Repair any breaks found.
If there are no breaks, replace the decoder chip.

#15 9 years ago

OK will check the continuity and go from there.

Thanks -

-scott

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6-digit-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.