You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150918_224611912.jpg
IMG_20150918_224153810.jpg
IMG_20150918_224356453.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So there is a seller on eBay by name of wolffdp selling Bally display kits.

35$ shipped to the house. I took a chance

All I can say is great product.

Good looking well designed with common parts and good paperwork parts listing with easy online pdf instructions for assembly.

Great for solder practice. Took about an hour or so I was in no hurry.

Perfect fit in the display holder and looks great.

So if you need one display or even all of them. You may want to try this option.

IMG_20150918_224356453.jpgIMG_20150918_224356453.jpg

IMG_20150918_224153810.jpgIMG_20150918_224153810.jpgIMG_20150918_224611912.jpgIMG_20150918_224611912.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Cool looking kit. I need to repair this on my Future Spa, might go this route if I fail to.

#3 8 years ago

Nice find! Half the price of an XPin display, and assembly looks pretty easy.

Looks like there's a website here: http://ilaina.wix.com/wolffpac-tech

Instructions here: http://media.wix.com/ugd/07f9d3_d08cd507538c4d3c987b5dbd1c876c09.pdf

The only thing I would do differently is use sockets for the ICs, rather than soldering them directly to the board.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the regular electronics folks here on the forums think of this display's design.

#4 8 years ago

I had one display that just was dead. High voltage on board good. All resistors measured fine. All transistors, ic OK ect. I worked on fixing for several days I found nothing. So well I guess glass is bad there is nothing else. And this machine new to me and owner even said well some of the displays work if I remember correctly. So I guess I got lucky it was just one.

I am going to try and contact this guy and have him make 7 digit kits for BH. Those others that want 280-300. F#@% off.

No reason the LED displays should be that much other than they know you need displayd the repair ic are hard to get and the glass is expensive and hard to install so lets take advantage and line our pockets.

I really think it is the over pricing of crucal products like displays that are needed to keep a machine alive causing them to be scrapped and parted out.
End of rant.

Yes you can do one or do them all. That is one thing I was unsure of but figured yeah they just won't use the HV. Which is exactly how it works. As pin 1 isn't used. So you solder it together and stick it in.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The only thing I would do differently is use sockets for the ICs, rather than soldering them directly to the board.

Yeah the kit did not have them but I used machine pin sockets out of habit. But a low voltage display I doubt those parts will ever fail.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah the kit did not have them but I used machine pin sockets out of habit. But a low voltage display I doubt those parts will ever fail.

Yep, it's simply good practice.

#7 8 years ago

Oh and in the instructions there is mention of 1" or .8". Digits.

I did not know this ended up with the .8 but there is the larger size as well.

#8 8 years ago

I wonder if I could use these leds instead ebay.com link: link

#9 8 years ago

Hi, I'm the guy selling these on eBay. Thanks for the kind words. I've got 35+ years of electronic design experience but only a couple of years on pinballs. This came out of my own experience repairing machines when I found out how expensive original or repro displays cost. FYI, these can easily be made to work with different colors and I expect to have a seven digit version available in about a month or so.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolffdp:

I expect to have a seven digit version

Interested in !
Post on pinside when you are ready.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolffdp:

I've got 35+ years of electronic design experience

Well it certainly shows.

So I hope you have enough stock to fill the demand as I have seen several posting with similar issues lately.

I can see these selling quick.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well it certainly shows.
So I hope you have enough stock to fill the demand as I have seen several posting with similar issues lately.
I can see these selling quick.

Now that it's made an appearance on the forums, I'm sure there will be an uptick in demand

4 months later
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolffdp:

Hi, I'm the guy selling these on eBay. Thanks for the kind words. I've got 35+ years of electronic design experience but only a couple of years on pinballs. This came out of my own experience repairing machines when I found out how expensive original or repro displays cost. FYI, these can easily be made to work with different colors and I expect to have a seven digit version available in about a month or so.

Any luck yet with the 7 digits? I have a dead display on my xenon and wouldn't mind updating all 4 at once.

#14 8 years ago

These look nice. Is the brightness adjustable like the Pinscore displays?

1 month later
#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Any luck yet with the 7 digits? I have a dead display on my xenon and wouldn't mind updating all 4 at once.

Yes, 7-digit kits are available now. First delivery of parts had the wrong color LEDs that don't match the original plasma displays. I should have the correct color (plus blue) around March 10.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

These look nice. Is the brightness adjustable like the Pinscore displays?

These do not have adjustable brightness, but I expect to have a second version of both the 6-digit and 7-digit version ready by the end of the month that is super-low current ( <20mA@5V and <12mA@190V) and has adjustable brightness.

#17 8 years ago

Great news! Thank you for an affordable option

1 week later
#18 8 years ago

Finally received the shipment of blue, red and the original 'yellowish-orange' LEDs. I'll be adding these as soon as I can get some decent pictures to show the colors.
Also looking into adding a way to purchase directly through the web site (wolffpactech.com). I may be able to lower the price a little bit if not purchased through eBay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 169.00
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6-digit-display-2?hl=barrymulvihill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.